worksheet protection #6

Is there a way to prevent a protected workbook and worksheet from bein
"saved as" a text file.  I'm using excel 2002 and windows 2000

do you mean a "txt" extension file, or just being "Saved As" anything?

---

If I can prevent it from being "saved as" anything that would be great.
I'm just trying to prevent the copy protection from being worked
around.

---

Almost anything you do to try to stop this would involve macros.  And that won't
stop the really dedicated.

But something like this in the ThisWorkbook module will stop some (maybe even
most):

Option Explicit
    If SaveAsUI = True Then
        MsgBox "Please don't save this"
        Cancel = True
    End If
End Sub

But I could use windows explorer and just copy it somewhere else.

(Or copy the cells into another workbook and save that one.  Excel isn't made
for this kind of security.)

"ososmarmy <" wrote:

> Is there a way to prevent a protected workbook and worksheet from being
> "saved as" a text file.  I'm using excel 2002 and windows 2000.
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
1/23/2004 3:02:47 AM
there is no way to make it foolproof. one can simply copy a file to
another location, rather than using SaveAs.

here is a way to avoid SaveAs. it is a VB macro.

this macro was provided by harlan and dave in one of my earlier posts.

this code needs to go into the WorkBook_BeforeSave procedure.

If SaveAsUI = True Then
MsgBox "Restriction on FileSaveAs location!", vbCritical
Cancel = True
Exit Sub
End If

---

Thanks for your help.  At least I can weed out the truly unmotivated.

---

Preventing other users saving another version of protected workboo
I have protected a workbook with locked cells and unlocked cells that can be edited. I would like to prevent the user from "saving as" and abusing the protection. Is this possible? Saving As will not alter the protection. "Laura Cook" <laura.cook@strand.ltd.uk.(nospam)> wrote in message news:B8ED3CA2-108C-48D3-8D08-FA233E136A7B@microsoft.com... >I have protected a workbook with locked cells and unlocked cells that can >be > edited. I would like to prevent the user from "saving as" and abusing the > protection. Is this possible? ...

Formula to capture worksheet names #2
this is Exactly what I need. I appreciate ya bro -- LowKe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LowKey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1527 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26897 No problem. Glad it helped. :) Take care -- firefyt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- firefytr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=664 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26897 ...

calculating using 3 worksheets in a file
I have and Excel file which 3 work sheets, in the first work sheet, have the data in a range of cells, in the second work sheet i hav another set of data in the same range of cells as that was in the firs work sheet. I would like to add or multiply the value in the frist shee with value in the second sheet using the same set of ranges, the outpu of this calculations, i would like to display in the third sheet in th same cell ranges as worksheet1 and worksheet2. Please let me know how i could do this. MARK112 -- mark112 ----------------------------------------------------------------------...

How do to enter data in a combo box on a worksheet?
Use the dropdown arrow? Shereen wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Saving Input on User Form to Hidden Worksheet
I have a User Form that once it is filled in, it updates several other Work Books from different Control Buttons. I need to save the Input on the User Form in one of the Wook Books, so that if the Work Book is opened again the User Form automatically Fills back in. Would the Information on the User Form be saved on a hidden Work Sheet in the Work Book that I want to save it in? Any Ideas on how to achive this? You must write code to save and reload informations like this. Lots of ideas. Where to save is a question of what's practical. You can write to a sheet in the ...

IE 6 won't install...
downloaded IE 6 w/outlook express...it gets to 83% installed then I get a message " software doesn't pass logo test for XP ? and won't install? Wrong group .... microsoft.public.windows.inetexploer.ie6_outlookexpress or microsoft.public.windows.inetexploer.ie6.setup or microsoft.public.windows.inetexploer.ie6.browser William "westy" <westy523@comcast.net> wrote in message news:0b5601c368e9$f01c48c0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > downloaded IE 6 w/outlook express...it gets to 83% > installed then I get a message " software doesn't pass > logo test f...

Copying a worksheet (not the whole book)
I created a couple of worksheets and tried to copy them to Excel on another computer. It copied the whole book and erased other worksheets which I had there. Is there a way to copy just one worksheet into a book without erasing the rest of the worksheets in the book? Thanks for any assistance, Jay Right click on the worksheet tab and select Move or Copy. In the to Book drop-down, select the workbook to move it to. The either copy (by checking the create a copy checkbox) or move it b clicking OK. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use Edit/Move or Copy Sheet... Bo...

how to paste a series formula across worksheets?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <i>have a budget workbook w/12 worksheets, 1 per month. i have a row of starting totals for each month. how do i copy the starting total in january's worksheet and paste it across the following months' worksheets in increasing months? Ex: in january's worksheet, cell A2 has the total of $100. in february's worksheet, the formula in A2 is: &quot;=100+Jan!A2&quot;. how do i copy/paste the formula across the rest of the worksheets so that they read &quot;=100+Feb!A2&quot;,...

Simultaneously sort 2 worksheets using linked column
I have 1 worksheet (Attendance) that keeps track of attendance. Rows 10 - 37 (27 students) with columns J - DQ for recording daily attendance. I'm designing a 2nd worksheet (Progress) in the same workbook to keep track of progress. Currently, the student names on Progress are linked to those on Attendance. This works fine. However, when I sort Attendance, only the student names on Progress move causing information on this second sheet to no longer correspond to the correct student. Is there a way to sort Attendance and have the data I enter on Progress stay with the names they're...

Printing Copies or multiple worksheets produces mult jobs
When I print multiple copies of a worksheet or I print an entire workbook that contains multiple worksheets, Excel breaks the print job up into multiple print jobs of (apparently) random size. This creates a problem for instance, when printing 2 sided because the printer "resets" after the first print job and the subsequent print jobs do not carry the requested attributes (2 sided, in this case). Has anyone experienced this problem. Any fixes? Thanks. BGW wrote: > When I print multiple copies of a worksheet or I print an > entire workbook that contains multiple wo...

excel Problems #6
While working in excel I am facing two problems 1.after working 1 -2hours in excel ,my excel stops working,even if I am trying to quit by clicking close button it stops responding and the system hangs up.only way to quit the prog is to press cntrl+shift+del and end task.after that I got auto recovery pane that saved my excel work.This happens every day.what's this problem? 2.while inserting a name i.e-insert-name-define-name box-refer to box-I am not able to enter a big formula.after entering say it is around 250 characters cursor not moving forward.Is there any limitation for defi...

how do I add information from many worksheets to one main workshee
Hello, Without knowing how your data structure is setup, it's fairly difficult to know what you are dealing with and provide you with a specific answer. But you can use formulas to bring in data from other sheets ... =Sheet1!A1 =Sheet2!A2 =Sheet3!A3 ... etc. HTH -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr "sillygurl" <sillygurl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71FD774A-B1B6-42B0-AA3E-D5D18416E13F@microsoft.com... > With Links, In whatever cell in the main sheet you want to start listing the dat type =, then go to the first cell in the work...

make an excel worksheet (sheet 2) open w/ the cursor located in t.
I have an excel worksheet with three sheets. Sheets 2 and 3 are locked so that entries can be made in only certain cells. Sheet 3 is linked to sheet 2 so that when an entry is made on sheet 2, the entry appears on sheet 3 in the corresponding cell. I would like sheet 3 to open in the cell the last entry was made (which is the corresponding cell on sheet 2 because sheet 3 is completly locked except for the link to sheet 2) Is there a simple way to perform this task? ...

Password protection in Excel 2003
I have a file that was password protected, now I need to access that file but can't remember the password I used. Is there any way I could find out what the password is, or even part of it to give me a clue. Trevor Smith Brute force password cracking. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=excel+password+macro&aq=0&aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=excel+password+ma&gs_rfai= Trevor Smith wrote: > I have a file that was password protected, now I need to access that > file but can't remember the password I used. Is there any way I could > find out w...

How do I copy a graph to new worksheet and get data from new sheet?
When I copy a worksheet with a graph or just copy a graph and paste in a new worksheet, the source data is still linked to the original worksheet. I've tried editing the sorce data to remove the sheet name to try to make it relative to the current sheet, but that gives me "Error in your formula". Is there a quick way to get the graph to link to the data in the new worksheet? Even a macro would help, if that's what it takes. Thanx in advance... If the chart is embedded in the worksheet, you should be able to copy the worksheet elsewhere, and the copied chart will point t...

importing mail from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2002
I'm trying to move Outlook Express 6 emails to another computer that has Outlook 2002, but it's not working. What I did was copy the mail folder with all the .dbx files in it from the old computer to the new comptuer. Then used the import procedure under the File menu. But, it generates the following error message: This mail folder could not be opened. If another application is using this file, please close it and try again. No other app is touching them. I noticed that when choosing the file format to import from, the only option presented for OE was something to th...

Can I password protect a folder in Outlook?
I want to protect a folder I created with a password You can password protect the entire .pst but not individual folders. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, glynne asked: | I want to protect a folder I created with a password ...

How to save worksheet in .cvs format?
I'm need to save a worksheet to .cvs or .txt format but the drop down menu for Save As does not include these options. Any help? Thanks. What version of Excel. 2003 has those options (Save As type). Did you use the down arrows to scroll down? Carole O "Carlannie" wrote: > I'm need to save a worksheet to .cvs or .txt format but the drop down menu > for Save As does not include these options. Any help? Thanks. ...

Unhiding All hidden Worksheets with a Macro/VBA Code
Hi, Can anyone help me please ? Whilst working with an Excel Workbook I often hide all unwanted Worksheets leaving only the ones I need to work on visible. What I would like to do is have a macro or VBA code to click on a button to unhide all hidden worksheets rather repeating Format-Sheet-Unhide to unhide each worksheet. Any help would be greatly appreciated (Excel version Excel 2000) Many thanks Rob -- robertguy 44 Married two kids ------------------------------------------------------------------------ robertguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinf...

EXCEL FORMULAS #6
I WANT TO SHOW THE ANSWER TO A SUM TO SHOW IN A NONE RELATED CELL.IE:FORMULA SET IN C1=SUM(A1+B2) ANSWER TO SHOW IN D1.CAN THIS BE DONE,IF SO CAN ANYONE SHOW ME HOW. Wyn, Not without using a macro. You can't change a cell with a formula from another cell. You could use =C1 in D1 John "WYN BUNSTON" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEE3C931-8229-44BA-8382-B54D56CF1F64@microsoft.com... > I WANT TO SHOW THE ANSWER TO A SUM TO SHOW IN A NONE RELATED CELL.IE:FORMULA SET IN C1=SUM(A1+B2) ANSWER TO SHOW IN D1.CAN THIS BE DONE,IF SO CAN ANYONE SHOW ...

Protect macro
I have a workbook that contains a macro that many people will be using. can the macro be protected to prevent changes to the macro. I can protect worksheets but I don't know how to protect a macro. Garry Open your workbook Open the VBE hit ctrl-r to see the project explorer Select your project in the project explorer window Tools|VBAProject Properties|Protection Tab Give it a memorable password (and lock the project from viewing) But remember, this password, like any password, can be broken by anyone with enough time or money. On 07/07/2010 08:57, Paladin046 wrote: > I have a wo...

Password protection lost
Hey Folks. Excel 2000 with service pack 3. There is a file on my company network that from what I'm told has always been password protected. All of a sudden a user opens the file and it doesn't ask for a password. She goes back in and it appears and passeord-protects the file however, it does not stick. I don't have another users machine to test the file on so it is a little difficult right now. Any ideas what could have happened or what can I do to repair? I think I'd verify that the file that she opened was the one on the network server. Put this in an empty cell afte...

Data Labels #6
On the Chart Options there is an option DATA LABELS. This option lets you print the following VALUE, PERCENT, LABEL and LABEL + PERCENT. Is there any way that you can print the Value and the Label. Or is there anyway you can modify any part of what you want to print beside the section of the pie chart. You can manually change the text within each data label. This is rather tedious, so you can download one of the following Excel add-ins, which allow you to select a worksheet range to use as labels for your points; both are free, easy to install and use. If you want any particluar lab...

Password protected CDaoRecordset
Hi all, I have added a new class to my source which is derived from CDaoRecordset class. Everything is OK. Bu when I give a password to my mdb file xxx.open(); function giving "Not a valid password" messagage. It is quit normal but where I have write the password in the source code staticly? thanks Bravx CString CUserDataBase::GetDefaultDBName() { return _T( "UserDB.mdb"); } CString CUserDataBase::GetDefaultSQL() { return _T("[Users]"); } ...

recover worksheet
I accidentally deleted a worksheet. I have saved the file since then. Excel will not let me do an undo. Is there any way to get that sheet back? I have not closed my file yet. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Unless you have a backup, no. Once you save, the sheet is gone from the file. In article <#fM2x4aCFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Steve" <kgc71203@hotmail.com> wrote: > I accidentally deleted a worksheet. I have saved the file since then. > Excel will not let me do an undo. Is there any way to get that sheet back? > I have not closed ...