worksheet ? of ?? in workbook

I know about page numbering in the header or footer, but I need some way to
put the worksheet number (if counted from left to right) and the total number
of worksheets in my workbook in cells on my worksheets.
Does anyone know how to program some funtions that I can put into cells
that I choose so that these numbers will automatically be generated and
changed, even if I remove or add a worksheet, or change the order of the
worksheets in the workbook (from left to right), without having to run a
macro all the time.

Chris Hofman

hi,
In the header or footer(left, right or center) put this

&[Page]  of  &[Pages]

there are icons for both. click the page icon, type 2 spaces then the word
of then 2more spaces. last click the pages icon. or you can type out the
whole line.

Regards
FSt1

"Chris Hofman" wrote:

> I know about page numbering in the header or footer, but I need some way to
> put the worksheet number (if counted from left to right) and the total number
> of worksheets in my workbook in cells on my worksheets.
> Does anyone know how to program some funtions that I can put into cells
> that I choose so that these numbers will automatically be generated and
> changed, even if I remove or add a worksheet, or change the order of the
> worksheets in the workbook (from left to right), without having to run a
> macro all the time.
>
> Chris Hofman
0
FSt1 (238)
8/4/2005 10:42:02 AM
I'm sorry,

This is not what I mean. I have a workbook with several worksheets that may
or may not contain more than one page. I already have the page numbers in the
header and footer. But someone might only print one worksheet, and then the
page numbering in the header/footer might say: Page 1 of 1. This is
confusing. I want people to see on the printed page that there are more
worksheets in the document then only that one page, and I need that
information on my worksheet, automatically if possible.
But thanks anyway.
Chris Hofman

"FSt1" schreef:

> hi,
> In the header or footer(left, right or center) put this
>
> &[Page]  of  &[Pages]
>
> there are icons for both. click the page icon, type 2 spaces then the word
> of then 2more spaces. last click the pages icon. or you can type out the
> whole line.
>
> Regards
> FSt1
>
> "Chris Hofman" wrote:
>
> > I know about page numbering in the header or footer, but I need some way to
> > put the worksheet number (if counted from left to right) and the total number
> > of worksheets in my workbook in cells on my worksheets.
> > Does anyone know how to program some funtions that I can put into cells
> > that I choose so that these numbers will automatically be generated and
> > changed, even if I remove or add a worksheet, or change the order of the
> > worksheets in the workbook (from left to right), without having to run a
> > macro all the time.
> >
> > Chris Hofman
You can group all the sheet & then take print out by selection of page.

Sanjeev

"Chris Hofman" wrote:

> I'm sorry,
>
> This is not what I mean. I have a workbook with several worksheets that may
> or may not contain more than one page. I already have the page numbers in the
> header and footer. But someone might only print one worksheet, and then the
> page numbering in the header/footer might say: Page 1 of 1. This is
> confusing. I want people to see on the printed page that there are more
> worksheets in the document then only that one page, and I need that
> information on my worksheet, automatically if possible.
> But thanks anyway.
> Chris Hofman
>
> "FSt1" schreef:
>
> > hi,
> > In the header or footer(left, right or center) put this
> >
> > &[Page]  of  &[Pages]
> >
> > there are icons for both. click the page icon, type 2 spaces then the word
> > of then 2more spaces. last click the pages icon. or you can type out the
> > whole line.
> >
> > Regards
> > FSt1
> >
> > "Chris Hofman" wrote:
> >
> > > I know about page numbering in the header or footer, but I need some way to
> > > put the worksheet number (if counted from left to right) and the total number
> > > of worksheets in my workbook in cells on my worksheets.
> > > Does anyone know how to program some funtions that I can put into cells
> > > that I choose so that these numbers will automatically be generated and
> > > changed, even if I remove or add a worksheet, or change the order of the
> > > worksheets in the workbook (from left to right), without having to run a
> > > macro all the time.
> > >
> > > Chris Hofman
0
sanjeev (16)
8/4/2005 11:52:10 AM
See one reply at your post in .excel

--

Dave Peterson
0

Rename the worksheet
Is there a possibility to rename the worksheet without using the mouse-rename procedure? I mean using the keyboard only??? Thanks. -- praveen_khm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ praveen_khm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30364 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=502191 Dear Praveen, Use Alt+O+H+R to rename the worksheet. Regards, Selvarathinam. praveen_khm wrote: > Is there a possibility to rename the worksheet without using the > mouse-rename procedure? I me...

Change background / color of chart worksheet?
Need steps to change the color or backgound of the worksheet that is a chart. Have multiple tabs in workbook that are just the charts. Only option for background is to use Format-Sheet-Background. That changes background of chart, but not the grey areas around the chart on the chart tab. You need to select the Chart Area (what you call the, "grey areas around the chart") and format that. There are 2 separate, "parts" to a chart:- 1. The Plot Area (which you seem to have formatted OK) and the 2. Chart Area. You need to select each of them to format th...

creating links inside a workbook.
I would like to put a working table of contents into my workbook. In other words, I would like to list all of the sheet names on a master page and allow the user to jump to that page simply by clicking the page's name. Any suggestions? Please and Thank You!!!! Use the Hyperlink feature. Just do a Insert> HyperLink>. Choose place in this document. Then select the tab you want to link to. "Angelica" <Angelica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94B5487B-A816-4BE3-B43A-701863DCFE76@microsoft.com... >I would like to put a working table of content...

Start a file at a defaulted worksheet/cell?
Howdy, Having a few users to a file, can I have the file open to a default worksheet/cell as I have directions I want them to read before playing... Regards, Kevin Kevin, use something like this, put in thisworkbook code Private Sub Workbook_Open() Sheets("Sheet2").Select Range("C3").Select End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "...

shared workbook issue
Hello All - I am using Excel 2007 and have a shared workbook that is also password protected. One user of the workbook attempted to save changes and received an error message that reads: "Caution: You are attempting to save a shared workbook that is also protected with a password. Portions of the file, including the change history, will not be encrypted. To help ensure the security of your file, unshare the workbook or delete the change history from the document. Do you want to save this file?" I would like to keep this as a shared workbook, so I attempted to delete t...

Smaller workbooks?
Hi. My Excel 2000 workbook has just increased in size from 1mb to just under 8mb !! I have added a few formulae and a long VBA macro. The workbook has 14 sheets, no graphics and quite a bit of conditional formatting. The VBA adds formulae to the various sheets on an 'as required' basis - if 30 rows are needed, then the macro adds formulae to about 20 columns on 30 rows. Thats all it does. I just did a bit more work to it and the size jumped.... Any suggestions on how to get it smaller again? Thanks. Jim Hi Jim, Does Ctrl+End properly identify your last cell or is it way down...

copy data from one worksheet to identical sheet in different workbook
I want to essentially sync the data between 2 identical worksheets in different workbooks. Essentially, I want to import and replace data in the second sheet with data from the first, is there a simple way to do this without deleting the worksheet and then copying the new sheet into the workbook? Thanks You can right-click on your source-sheetname tab, the shortmenu will reflect Copy/MoveSheet.... Select it and make 2 other choices: 1) Check to Create Copy box at bottom 2) From dropdown box at top of screen select an existing open workbook or select new-workbook. OK HTH "a...

password for workbook
Hello, How can i set the workbook so that when opened, a dialogu appears asking for password to open up the workbook before being abl to read or Read/write anything.... Thanks a lot From Joh -- Neo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Neo1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3032 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=53146 One simple way, although the password input is not masked '----------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Workbook_Open() '...

Excel macro for copying range to another worksheet
On a monthly basis, I would like to copy the completed range (varies from month to month) of a database (Sheet1) to a master list (Sheet3). Once the data has been copied I intend to manually delete the entries of Sheet1 and start anew for the new month =96 for eventual transfer to Sheet3. The idea is to copy each month=92s data at the bottom of the previous months=92 (Sheet3). I followed Excel=92s record macro command but the macro I ended up with is not capable of placing the new data at the bottom of the existing one; it simply keeps overwriting the previous entry. Unfortunately, I don=92t...

worksheet appearance
Hey, I create worksheets in VBA, then delete them again and create them again. One worksheet always stays in my workbook, but when I create such a new worksheet with add it appears the first in line. I want it to appear it after the worksheet stat is always visible. How can I solve this? From XL/VBA Help: > Add Method (Worksheets Collection) > > Creates a new worksheet. The new worksheet becomes the active sheet. Returns > a Worksheet object. > Syntax > expression.Add(Before, After, Count, Type) > expression Required. An expression that returns a Worksheets object....

Searching a Differnt worksheet in the same workbook.
So what I need to do is have a colum D that searches Sheet1, column E for a certain text string entered in a different sheet (either 2 or 3) column D. If they match I want the cell in column E, sheet 2 or 3 to return a text of "Found" and if there is no match I want the cell to be blank. I've been looking in these forums and have a feeling it can be done, I just can't figure out how. Thanks. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Dear Cre...

vlookup help linking data between worksheet
hi, I have a master list of students (about 200+ )in one worksheet. On the succeeding worksheets are the attendance for seminars. We have more than 20 seminars in a year. Because of the large no of attendees per seminar, I usually type out a list of the students who came for each seminar, so there will be 20 +attendance worksheets. Not all students will come every time and there are new ones for each session. To update on master list, I will sort each sheet by surname, print it out and type in separate column (date) for each session and typed "P" for present and &quo...

Excel VBA
Hi, Is there any way to freeze (prevent) a number of worksheets from recalculating when a VBA macro is running? I have a spreadsheet with about 10 worksheets, most of which are linked to each other in some way. One of my macros only needs to use the formulas (and related results) from about 7 of these, so the other 3 are updating all the time but since the results from these are not needed then they are slowing down my code. Is there some VBA function for temporarily disabling a worksheets calculation function? I would need my code to look something like this: Code: -------------------- ...

shared workbook opens slowly
I have a workbook that uses conditional formating etc has 60 worksheets one for each week and 8 for info for drop down lists and the size is 10 mb. I have shared it via a windows 2003 severer but it takes along time to open any thoughts as to what I may have done wrong Since you have 60 worksheets with conditional formatting and the same is used by many persons in sharing mode will make excel to open the file slowly. Try to Remove unwanted worksheets from your workbook and on daily basis or two days once Remove the sharing and give Cntrl+S and apply the sharing. While doing ...

Linking items GREATER THAN O on another worksheet in the same Work
I have a workbook that has about four worksheets … I want to create a list of items that will automatically be included on worksheet tab 4 from Worksheet tab 1 if the quantity for the item listed on the first worksheet has been changed from 0 to any other number (i.e. 1 or 10 etc). I have a list of equipment with pricing on worksheet tab 1 and the list is long. Many of the items will have quantities of zero and will not increase as they will not be selected for the project being created. We have additional columns for cost, extended cost, labor hours etc. If the quantity changes for a...

Saving workbook #2
We are sharing some excel books on netwrok by using several "my briefcase" linking to one master file. We cannot modify the file and update to the master file at the same time - as the computer refuse to merge them together. Is there any method that it can go real multiuser. Hi you may try the following: sub save_with_cell() Dim fname fname = worksheets("sheet1").range("A1").value fname = fname & ".xls" ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=fname end sub You should add some error checking to this (does the files exist, etc.) -- Regards Fr...

Start-up worksheet!?
Hello basically I would, each time i open my spreadsheet model for the worksheet i wont to pop up, and from there i can navigate easily to the other worksheets by buttons, how can i make a worksheet to pop up like this everytime i open the file....? Thanks From John -- Neo1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Neo1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30329 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=515098 Private Sub Workbook_Open() Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate End Sub ...

Print Workbook
Hi, I've looked around and seen one answer to this that suggests a macro with a button, but I don't want to go down that route. So - how do I make excel print the whole workbook when print is selected? I have a workbook with 3 worksheets, and the users will need to print off all 3 to return to me. Rather than risk them print off only one and return that, if it auto prints all 3 I should guarantee that i get all 3 returned. Thanks, You might try this. Put this code in your workbook's ThisWorkbook module: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Worksheets....

Counting number of worksheets in a Excel 2007
Dear Sir, I am using MS office 2007, and want to know what is command/formula to count the number of worksheets in a Excel. I deals with some taxation matter wherein I need to have hundreds of sheets in a file. Thank in advance. From within Excel code, Worksheets.Count will return the number of worksheets in the workbook. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Y D" <Y D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C3A4B9-22F4-4643-8850-BD340C4659C9@microsoft.com... > Dear Sir, > I am using MS office 2007, and want to know what is command/formula to >...

Excel launches with 2 copies of worksheet
I just installed Win2000 and Office 97 on a brand new computer. Clean install, essentially nothing else on the computer yet. I have a few Excel files, some that were created previously and a couple that were created on this machine with this copy of Excel. If I double click on an Excel file in Explorer, Excel launches, opens the file, and then tries to open the file a second time! Anytime I try to open something in this way I get an error that says something like "A document with the name "xyz.xls" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name.....

where excel opens a workbook
I have some documentation in an excel workbook. Each worksheet contain information. I have several users who can edit the information. Whe they save the file it opens in the condition they had it in when the saved. Is there a way to force all sheets to location A1 and open to certain worksheet each time -- mikegosp ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikegospo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=338 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27162 Hi only with a macro. That is insert...

Worksheet names #2
Is there anyway to name a worksheet with text from a cell in anothe worksheet -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi only with VBA. using something like sub rename() dim wks as worksheet dim target_wks as worksheet set wks = activesheet set target_wks = worksheets(1) target_wks.name=wks.range("A1").value end sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Is there anyway to name a worksheet with text from a cell in another > worksheet. > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Thank you this helped a lo -- Message posted f...

Copy worksheet into current workbook
This is a new problem I'm having. In the past I've been able to copy worksheets into the existing workbook and am now getting the following error. Microsoft Visual Basic: File not found: 'C:\Docume~1\[computer name]\Locals~1\Temp\VB24.tmp This is only happening in particular workbooks, as I am able to copy worksheets in others. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! ...

Excel Workbook- Can't open file once any changes are made
Hello everyone- I am running Windows XP with Excel 2002 (verison 10.6501.6626 with SP3 and I just completed developing a fairly large Excel workbook wit numerous worksheets and macros. If I send the file to a handful o other people, they are all able to open the workbook and make change with out getting any problems (They can change the file name itself o make changes to the cells within the workbook). Here's my problem: On my computer I can open the base version of th workbook without getting any error messages. However, if I make an changes (no matter how simple, like changing text...

Cannot print both-sided by selecting multiple worksheets
Any batch or 3rd-party program can fix this problem?? When printing multiple worksheets, it print one sheet as one file... I must select "page from X to X" to resolve this problem every-time. It's really trouble to do this, and as I remember it works before upgrade XP SP3. ...