Working with names

I'm working in a worksheet plenty of named ranges. When I
change a name of a range or cell, the formulas referring
that range don't reflect tha change of the name (they
keep the old name). May you suggest me a procedure to
reflect automatically those changes?
0
mristorto (1)

No, Excel doesn't change your formulas when you change a name. In fact it doesn't have a "change
a name" feature as such.

You must accomplish that by selecting the range and defining the new name. At that point you
have two named ranges, the original and the new one. Then you would delete the old one from the
Name list.

Then you will have to use Search and Replace to change the name in your formulas.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:30:22 -0700, "Mauro" <mristorto@cantv.net> wrote:

>I'm working in a worksheet plenty of named ranges. When I
>change a name of a range or cell, the formulas referring
>that range don't reflect tha change of the name (they
>keep the old name). May you suggest me a procedure to
>reflect automatically those changes?

0
myrnalarson (223)

EnableEvents = False not working ???
Code below is on the sheet where I've put ActiveX combo box named cboOthProv, for which the linked cell is A1. If I put a stop on the very first line, then step through, at line Range("A1") = "" execution jumps back to the start, as if events had never been disabled. Isn't the change to the combo box through its linked cell an event? And if it is, then why doesn't Application.EnableEvents = False keep it from triggering the combo box change code to begin again? This is seriously sending me around the bend. Any clues/advice are most...

Initial WorkBook Name
Normally, when Excel starts, the first workbook is named "Book1". If you run a second instance of Excel, you get "Book2" and so on. If you stop the first instance and start a new one, you get "Book1" again. We have a situation where when Excel starts, and there are no other instances running based upon Task Manager, we get things such as Book61, Book4, Book?. How is this initial value determined? Is there something "left" behind from other instances of Excel that could be causing it? Eventually, the system just goes plain crazy and we have ...

Macro that sorts not working
We have a 4 computer peer to peer network. The "server" computer has it's own drive letter that all the computers read (I am a novice as you might tell). On a spreadsheet that we use for customer information and invoicing I have a macro that opens another workbook, activates that other workbook, pastes information from the original workbook, sorts that information by activating a macro stored in that particular workbook, closes and saves that workbook, then activates the original workbook again. My problem is this. That macro scenario above works on the "server" ...

how to : Change organization name
I have exchange 5.5 and did a migration to exchange 2003. It seems we do not have the choice to keep old business name. I NEED TO CHANGE ORGANIZATION NAME. Anybody know how?? Regarding everywhere it seem that i'll have to set a new forest and redo entire network... For example org name was abc.com and now it is must be xyz.com! ABC is our competitors... In message source of every mails we can see old organization name... your only chance to establish the Organization name is at installation...to change it, you do need to reinstall...you can change the display name of the org,...

Must Enter domain name on OWA 2003 Front End?
I noticed two things happen if you do *not* use your domain name when you log onto the OWA 2003 Front End server: 1. When you use the Logout button you get a prompt for your username and password again 2. When you try to open a link within an email message you are prompted for your username and password, and then you must use your domain\username or else the link will never open. Q. Is this because our Internet Mail domain name and our AD domain name are different? I thought the instructions from Microsoft said you could set a default domain, but the options were only for my email domain...

Advanced Find not working!
Help please - any ideas? It used to work! Outlook Express 6 Cheers Susan Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted ...

Cached mode will not work
I upgrade my Windows XP box from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003. It starts up fine, but if I try to put it in "Cached Mode" Outlook will not start. It give the generic message of "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact your administrator in this condition persists." I installed Outlook 2003 as a fresh install on my laptop and cached mode works great. Any suggestions? Never mind I found the problem. The offline file name was not a valid file. I set it ...

Pre-fill a User Name on Onload
I am working with CRM 4.0. I have created a custom entity called Projects and have created a relationship with the User system entity and have named it Editor. I would like to pre-fill the name of a person in the Editor. I am new to java script. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Hi Andy, Following URL is from CRM SDK. It will guide you how to write JScript code for lookup field; http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb928151.aspx -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP Microsoft CRM Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MVP :: https://mvp.suppor...

Radio buttons do not work.
Hi! I am trying to create a form in Excel using Radio Buttons and am having trouble with them. For instance: When I choose a boolean selection between two radio buttons Yes and No in line 1 and then go to line 2 and choose between Yes and No, my previous selection in line 1 gets deselected and when I proceed further to line 3, the line 2 selection gets deselected and vice versa. I would like to know how I can retain a boolean selection in every line. Please let me know. Thanks in advance Sukumar Use checkboxes, each signifies on/off or Yes/No. -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere f...

duplicate names in Pivot Table
The more I use Excel, the more surprises I get! I have a Pivot table based on a 16-column data list, one of the columns being "End Uses," say, office machines, laptops, FAX machines, etc., a total of 15 different end uses. Each End use occurs several times in the column. For some reason, two of these end uses, though spelled identically, appear twice on the drop-down list of the table. Any idea how that might have happened? Probably one of the items has a space character at the end, and the other doesn't. K. Georgiadis wrote: > The more I use Excel, the more surpri...

Display name in Active Directory...
I have Exchange 2000 SP3 running Windows 2000 SP4 and using Outlook 2003. I used the ADSI tool to change the display name for my domain users to lastname, firstname. I used the ADModify tool to change all existing accounts Display name to have the new format so ALL my users display name now reads LastName, FirstName in the properites sheet. This gets reflected in GAL so things look good. I only have one problem, when I view the users name in active directory users and computers, the listings shows first name lastname. Is there any tool I can use instead of manually renaming all the existi...

Export DN Names To File ...
Hi, I need to export a list of Exchange 2003 mailbox DN names to a file so I can use it with the Exmerge program. The mailboxes are not registered against users in AD as they have been "orphaned" after a migration from Exchange 5.5 & we need to export them to .PST format (to save the data) using Exmerge before deleting them off the stores (there are a thousand to do). I've tried in vain to find a simple tool that will help me do this. Can anyone help. ...

Sercah for attributes within name
Hello I have an SMS report with all the servers. We utilize a naming standard. i.e mail server haf the same 2 lettters within the server name. I want to quickly filter my list to only display i.e. mail servers. How do i filter based on 2 letters within the names? thanks Custom>Contains Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:11:44 -0800, Johnsp <Johnsp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello >I have an SMS report with all the servers. We utilize a naming standard. i.e >mail server haf the same 2 lettters within the server name. > >I want to quickly...

XPathNavigator not working when schema used
PLEASE HELP! I'm writing a function to populate DropDownLists from and xml file. I am having a problem getting my XPathNavigator to select any nodes when I attach a schema to my xml document. Xml Doc: Dropdown.xml XML Schema: Dropdown.xsd Here is my XML Document... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <DropDownLists xmlns="http://tempuri.org/DropDown.xsd"> <DropDownList name="DataSource"> <Option name="SqlServer" value="SqlServer" /> <Option name="Oracle" value="Oracle" /&...

Count is not working
Okay, this is BASIC and I feel bad for asking, but I can not get my count to work. I have a spreadsheet with a list of doctors names and other information, I tried to do a count on the column using the following formula: =count(D:D) And Excel gave me 0. I tried this on other columns, it worked, there is no formula in the column, my spreadsheet is not on manual calculate, when using the little ghost function in Excel I am able to get a count for the row in question, but the formula won't work. I found a work around by counting another column, any ideas on why it is not working? Richar...

Yahoo mail POP connect error using Outlook Express 6. It was working all right before.
I have a free yahoo account "..accountname@yahoo.ca". It was working alright for years, but since a few days ago, I have the following problem: The server responded with an error. Account: 'mwintrust@yahoo.ca', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 216.136.173.10 (216.136.173.10:110), connect error 10061', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90 Thanks for anyone's help. did yahoo.ca end pop support for free accounts? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] A...

Summing values in a range Name
Hello, I clicked and dragged a range of numbers and named the range ZERO in the Name Box. I then wanted to perform a Sum of the number in that range and did this: =SUM(ZERO) and it worked, giving me a sum. I wanted to save time copying down a series of Name ranges named (predictably) ZERO,ONE,TWO, THREE, FOUR, etc all the way down to TWENTY-THREE. With the word ZERO in cell A1, the word ONE IN A2 and so on I thought I could go to B1 and enter =SUM(B1) and get results, but that doesn't work. How can an Excel user perform calculations on a series of numbers i...

Windows 2003: Dynamic Filename for Backup Name
Hi, I am looking to schedule a regular backup in Win 2003 using the default backup utility. I would like the name of the backup file to be dynamic, with a date and time stamp. Date is more important than time; If I can get a filename with the date, but without a timestamp, that is fine. For example, today's backup should be Feb_11_2010_6PM_File_Backup, though Feb_11_2010_File_backup will do. Next week's today be Feb_11_2010_5_59PM_File_Backup, etc.. The specific date and timestamp format is not important to me. I am hoping that I can specify a filename such as &l...

Problem working with Mozilla
Hi All, I am using a Web User Control for some fields to perform a search on a database. So when user a clicks a tab the particular Web Control is loaded within the index.aspx page. It works fine with IE8 or IE7 but working with Mozilla 3.5.30729 I noticed too much movement with some text below the Web Control fields from the previous control to the current one, . That problem can be seen only with high speed internet connection. Appreciate any feedback. Regards, Eric On Jan 18, 11:27=A0pm, "Eric S" <xxx_noS...@Hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, >...

Counting names
I have a workbook with several worksheets in it. Each worksheet layout is the same. For example: Column A is for a Username Column B is for the User City Column C is for the user State What I would like to do is have another worksheet that will look at all the other worksheets and could how many times the User State of California appears across all of the worksheets. And all the times the city of LA etc, etc, etc How do I do that? thanks in advance. You could use a formula with a reference to each sheet you need: =countif(sheet1!c:c,"california")+countif(sheet2!c:c,"...

Mail Merge is no longer working
We have been using mail merge a lot and just this week I have noticed it is no longer working. If I select 'Mail Merge', typically the dialog box pops up with options for the type of merge (existing document, new template, etc...) Now what happens is that dialog box sort of shows up for about .25 seconds and then it dissapears. I have checked the event logs and I dont see anything on the client machine or the server. This is showing up on every client machine. Our client machines are running Office 2003, Norton Antivirus (enabled or disabled makes no difference), Win XP SP2, and all o...

newbie qquestion on named ranges
ms help has very little on the named range box. For example, 1. how can one edit or delete a name in the box? 2. What does it mean, when there is a named range which when selected highlights nothing? Any hints will be appreciated. Ernesto Hi you may take a look at: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Names.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "TSH" <mathematicus@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:A4ednZskfOA2y1XcRVn-2Q@speakeasy.net... > ms help has very little on the named range box. > For example, > 1. how can one edit or delete a name in the b...

Combining multiple files into one work sheet
Good afternoon, I have multiple files single worksheet files (30), each in it's own directory that I would like to have combined into a single workbook. Each file name is unique, however the midships of each file contains the date the file was created "C:\XVG001\XVG001_20090713_Reviewed.xls". Is there any way I can create a function or macro that will pull these files from their respective directories and combine these sheets automatically into one workbook? Thanks Try this add-in http://www.rondebruin.nl/merge.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/t...

putting a column of names into alphabetical order
I have collected data with names against dates and treatments and wish to rearrange the spreadshett into alphabetical order by name. Some names have spaces in the name column as there may be multiple entries of other date in other columns. I have merged and centred these cells in the "name" column. I still get "cant merge". Have excel2003. maybe I should take my work home and see if 2007 excel can do the job You shouldn't need to merge the cells to sort them. Hopefully you still have an original, unmerged, copy of the data. Simply select all columns w...

Flip 3D Stopped working
Hi Everyone, Ive been using me HP 60 laptop for over a year with very little problems. However when i came to use the window switcher i was expecting the usual Flip 3D, what i got was a recangular box with the window icons that i was using. ive been looking across various websites and everything mentioned so far has failed. i was wondering if any of you would be able to help? Thanks Will -- willderby Hi Will, Thanks for your post. I am having the same problem. When I try following the instructions on various forums that suggest setting aero ... it just retur...