Working with Excel #2

Dear friends!
I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a number
with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this?
Many thanks!

0
Igor2005 (1)

Hi Igor2005,

> I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a number
> with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this?

That is only possible with either:

- an addin (search google, there should be something for this, I recall
seeing it but misplaced the link).
- or by formatting the cell as text (but you won't be able to do math with
the number easily then)

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

0
jkpieterse (271)
3/21/2005 7:55:00 AM
The free add-in XNUMBERS will allow this.
Find it at http://digilander.libero.it/foxes/
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Igor2005" <Igor2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear friends!
> I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a number
> with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this?
> Many thanks!

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
3/21/2005 2:13:38 PM
Jan Karel Pieterse wrote:
|| Hi Igor2005,
||| I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a
||| number with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this?
|| That is only possible with either:
|| - an addin (search google, there should be something for this, I
|| recall seeing it but misplaced the link).

Rubbish! Just make sure the column width will take it, and the cell is
formatted for number.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
gordonbp11 (453)
3/21/2005 9:29:45 PM
Bernard Liengme wrote:
|| The free add-in XNUMBERS will allow this.
|| Find it at http://digilander.libero.it/foxes/
|| best wishes

Rubbish! Just make sure the column width will take it, and the cell is
formatted for number. I've just done it in a new workbook in Excel 2003.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
gordonbp11 (453)
3/21/2005 9:30:19 PM
Hi Gordon,

> Rubbish! Just make sure the column width will take it, and the cell is
> formatted for number.

Did you even try?

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

0
jkpieterse (271)
3/21/2005 9:52:03 PM
Jan Karel Pieterse wrote:
|| Hi Gordon,
||| Rubbish! Just make sure the column width will take it, and the cell
||| is formatted for number.
|| Did you even try?
|| Regards,
|| Jan Karel Pieterse
|| Excel MVP
|| www.jkp-ads.com

Yes, that's why I cancelled the post. It does 15. I wonder why the OP wants
20 digits?

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
gordonbp11 (453)
3/21/2005 9:57:46 PM
Since Excel uses IEEE format for double-precision numbers, and that format is
limited to 15 digits of precision, what do the last 5 digits of your "numbers"
look like? If the cell is formatted as General, I expect they are all 0's.

For example, I have a very wide column and a cell format of general. I type

  12345678901234567891

and what I see is

  12345678901234500000

Yes, that's a 20-digit "number", but it isn't the number I typed.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:30:19 -0000, "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>Bernard Liengme wrote:
>|| The free add-in XNUMBERS will allow this.
>|| Find it at http://digilander.libero.it/foxes/
>|| best wishes
>
>Rubbish! Just make sure the column width will take it, and the cell is
>formatted for number. I've just done it in a new workbook in Excel 2003.

0
anonymous (74722)
3/21/2005 10:04:26 PM
Cancelling seems not to work. If you're not sure of your ground, you have to
test before posting <g>.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:57:46 -0000, "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>Jan Karel Pieterse wrote:
>|| Hi Gordon,
>|| Did you even try?
>|| Regards,
>|| Jan Karel Pieterse
>|| Excel MVP
>|| www.jkp-ads.com
>
>Yes, that's why I cancelled the post. It does 15. I wonder why the OP wants
>20 digits?

0
anonymous (74722)
3/22/2005 1:14:12 AM
Hi Gordon,

> Yes, that's why I cancelled the post. It does 15. I wonder why the OP wants
> 20 digits?

Well, some people actually need high precision calculations. But it may also
be a code number of some sort, in which case formatting as text will do the
job nicely.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

0
jkpieterse (271)

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Microsoft POS #2

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Excel not Access

Excel 2007

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Grammar check not working

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

Please ignore #2

Excel DNS query

Excel Problem

Custom Headings in Work Order and Sales Receipts
Where can I edit the headings of receipt formats so that when they are printed instead of "Work Order" in the right corner, I want it to say "Delivery Note" Instead of "Sales Receipt" I want it to say "Invoice" Also, how can I make a Work order print without each item taking up 3 lines... ie: I need it to print just like a quote or regular receipt, but be a work order? The receipts in RMS are saved as a .XML file. If you are somewhat familular with programming you will be able to navigate your way around the template and make some edits. typic...

matching contents #2

This formula doesn't work: = day(today())
This formula doesn't work: = day(today()) Except from spreading one formula into 2, is it possible to make it workable in 1 formula? If so, how? -- Additional information: - I'm using Office XP - I'm using Windows XP ���H����O�D�`����. �p��������B, ���Ѫ̤��[�祿!! My ability is very limited. Hope you will not mind to enlighten me if I do wrongly. What doesn't work? For today (7 May 2004) =DAY(TODAY()) returns 7. In article <eYuAXhDNEHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "0-0 Wai Wai ^-^" <x@x.com> wrote: > This formula doesn't work: = day...