Workbook cells won't hold formatting in Office 2007

I have Office 2007 running in Vista Home Premium.  My system got FUBARed and
had to be reloaded.  Now my Excel workbooks won't keep the proper formatting
in cells.  I have them formatted as general so that I can type in something
like 4 - 1.  As soon as I do that it converts the formatting to Custom and
puts it in as a 1-Apr.  If I try to reformat the cell as general I then get
39904.  If I enter it as space 4 - 1 then it enters correctly.

How can I make the cell give me the correct information without putting a
space in front of it?

One way in to format the cell as Text BEFORE entering 4-1.  Another way is
to precede the 4-1 with an apostrophe.  HTH  Otto

"Deej Hernandez" <DeejHernandez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Office 2007 running in Vista Home Premium.  My system got FUBARed
> and
> had to be reloaded.  Now my Excel workbooks won't keep the proper
> formatting
> in cells.  I have them formatted as general so that I can type in
> something
> like 4 - 1.  As soon as I do that it converts the formatting to Custom and
> puts it in as a 1-Apr.  If I try to reformat the cell as general I then
> get
> 39904.  If I enter it as space 4 - 1 then it enters correctly.
>
> How can I make the cell give me the correct information without putting a
> space in front of it?

0
Otto
12/21/2009 6:29:22 PM
Rather than formatting them as 'General', try formatting them as 'Text'.
That should prevent Excel from converting 4-1 to 1 Apr.  Or, if you prefer,
leave them formatted as General, but instead of putting a space in front of
the entry, put a single quote mark ( ' ) in front of it, as: '4-1 which will
force Excel to treat the entry as text regardless of the cell's format
setting.

"Deej Hernandez" wrote:

> I have Office 2007 running in Vista Home Premium.  My system got FUBARed and
> had to be reloaded.  Now my Excel workbooks won't keep the proper formatting
> in cells.  I have them formatted as general so that I can type in something
> like 4 - 1.  As soon as I do that it converts the formatting to Custom and
> puts it in as a 1-Apr.  If I try to reformat the cell as general I then get
> 39904.  If I enter it as space 4 - 1 then it enters correctly.
>
> How can I make the cell give me the correct information without putting a
> space in front of it?

I want to be able to scroll smoothly rather than one cell at a ti.
I want to be able to view my Excel file a certain way, but when I use the scrollbar, it only lets me scroll based on the widths of the cells. I want to be able to scroll smoothly. I want to be able to view partial cells, without being forced to view the entire cell. If i want to have some border cells surrounding the information of interest, it doesn;t let me partially exclude them from view. Please fix this so that I can view my files the way I want to view them. I can scroll "smoothly" ... using my mouse! *Clicking* the scroll wheel brings up a 4 headed arrow "thi...

how to select multiple text boxes in excel for formatting
I am trying to select multiple text boxes for formatting the font but seem unable to select all of them other than to click on each one individually. Is there an easy way to select all of the text boxes at once? To select multiple objects on the sheet -- Click on one object Hold the Ctrl key, and click on additional objects To select all the objects on the sheet -- Choose Edit>Go To, click Special Select Objects, click OK Or, to work with specific objects, you can add the 'Select Multiple Objects' tool to one of your toolbars: Choose Tools>Customize Select the Commands tab...

Compatibility Pack for Office 2007
This may be a stupid question, but... We are in the process of migrating from Office 2003 to Office 2007. We had deployed the Compatibility Pack to all our Office 2003 users a year or more ago so they could read documents created outside our company. My question is... Is there any need or value to keep the Compatibility Pack installed after installing Office 2007? Thanks, Tom In article <OP$RtKsmKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Tom K wrote: > This may be a stupid question, but... > > We are in the process of migrating from Office 2003 to Office 200...

Fill other cells based on cell selected
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C79C40.C0C75F40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How can I have other cells fill in with data from another worksheet = based on the cell that I select in the active worksheet? i.e. I have a list of names in column B when I select a cell containing = a name I would like that persons phone # and other info to appear in = other cells. As I scroll down the phone # and other info would change = according to the name in the active cell. The phone # and oth...

2007 Schema Prep #2
I extended my AD last night for 2007 and have a few questions to verify it was successful: I have a root domain (domain.local) that houses my schema master and a child domain (domain.net) that has Exchange 2003. I ran setup /prepareAD then ran setup /preparedomain: domain.net and both said they completed successfully. However, I was expecting to see the new OU (Microsoft Exchange Security Groups) in my child domain. It is present in my root domain. Is that all correct? In my child domain I now have a new global security group call Exchange Install Domain Servers. Last thing, the D...

GUID/Outlook format link giving error "Unable to open the seleted folder or item"
Hi, I have created custom forms in multiple public Outlook folders and when I send the GUID type link to the user, they receive an error: "Unable to open the seleted folder or item". The same happens if I send the Outlook type link. However, if I ask the user to go to the folder and find the appropriate posting, then the form opens and after that the link works, too. Is this due to some Exchange server setting? My clients are not the type that tolerate opening the form the long way, they want a one click solution. Please help, this is driving my team crazy. Any ideas are welcome...

Office 2001 for Mac help needed!
As an undergrad, I received a copy of Microsoft Office 2001 for Mac and it is installed on my iMac that I used there. However, I just bought a new MacBook for graduate school and need to install Office on that computer now, but when I put the disk in and double click on install it wont work. All of the icons have an x on them and I believe it says it "This application cannot run on this system" or something to that effect. HELP! I need Office asap since classes start this week! Thank you Laura Hi Laura - Your best bet is to hie thee to the university bookstore & get the u...

how do I get the cursor to move to cell A1 when I press home key
When I press the home key I want the cursor to go to cell A1. From the Menu Bar: <Tools> <Options> <Transition> tab, And *check* "Transition Navigation Keys". This might cause you other "problems' though! -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "RANLAY" <RANLAY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F93B2017-347...

ScreenUpdating just a range of cells instead of entire worksheet
I am doing a lot of calculations on a spreadsheet and was wondering if it is possible to do screenupdating only to a certain section of the spreadsheet to show the progress of the calculations? thx No, screen updating is an application-wide setting, all or nothing. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com <scottzuehl@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1140292494.504056.216680@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am doing a lot of calculations on a spreadsheet and was >wondering if > it is possible to do screenupdati...

Word problems 2003 and 2007 version
hey everyone both on my main computer and my brothers laptop word isnt working! its so annoying! on my desktop PC i have windows xp and word 2003. after getting a virus which stopped the internet from working i had to do a system restore - which got rid of the virus. but when i click on word it says that "this shortcut only applies to installed products", and when i go to word through program files it says "this product is not installed on this user" - but there is no setup thing i can press - will i need the disc maybe? on my bro's laptop he got the sa...

Using Outlook client for CRM 3.0 in a remote office
I need to set up access to the corporate CRM from several remote offices. All of them have VPN connections (Windows or Checkpoint). What are the steps required to configure remote clients to be able to use CRM features in Outlook. Remote users can connect to CRM through Internet Expolorer. Thanks. Assuming they are connected, the isntallation over a VPN connection should not be any different than a typicaly installation. If the connection is slow though, the first synch & Go Offline process will be noticiably slower though. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "mkatsev"...

SpellCheck Will it work on the Access 2007 Runtime?
I have a program that I have compiled. It has the following. Private Sub cmdSpellCheck_Click() Me.Call_Notes.SetFocus RunCommand acCmdSpelling End Sub Is this going to work on a runtime or will I need a full version of Access to use it? You can simulate using the runtime of A2007 quite easily for testing. To do it, change the extension of the file from accdb to accdr. Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia "Avid Fan" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:ulRyIhQ4KHA.4804@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I have a program t...

Switching X Y axis in PP 2007
How do make the vertical axis the horizonal one and vice versa? -- etf Does Switch Row/Column on the Chart Tools Design tab do what you want? -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx "etf" <etf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28669E0E-1FF7-47CB-9ED2-1769248A651E@microsoft.com... > How do make the vertical axis the horizonal one and vice versa? > -...

Format Cells Date (or any change) not working on imported data
Hello, I've just spent ages researching this and not come up with what I need to be able to do. I have a worksheet for some simple data that has been imported, a date, text and number column (as they display graphically to the end user). All are a "general" format when using Format > Cells. The issue I have is that the date information is in an American date format and I would like to change them into a UK date format. Format > Cells and selecting any option (including custom and special) makes no changes to the imported data. I have seen the work arounds whereby you sp...

Newbee needs help Combo Box access 2007
I have a access 2000 project that would all me to create a combo box the added the following code , so the values from the combo box would be stored in the current form . also when typing the code below access 2000 would bring up the code string example when typing me.s it would bring up the value "shipper" from the field list is this feature gone or just turned off on my copy Example of code From Access 2000 Private Sub Combo 40_AfterUpdate(cancel As Integer) me.shipper = me.combo40.Column(0) me.Address = me.combo40.Column(1) error This error occurs whe...

Conditional Formatting #27
I have a range of cells that I want to use conditional formatting on. I want the largest number in the range to be formatted or Highlighted or something like that. The conditions listed really don't seem to apply since the number may be different each time so I can't say for certain that the number WILL BE ....whatever. I just want to highlight the biggest number as compared to the rest in the range. Maybe i need to use a couple of different functions. Please let me know. Dave French Office XP Pro Select your range (say A1:C22) With A1 the activecell format|conditional form...

Conditional formatting for groups
I have an Excel list where the first column identifies a group, like 1 1 1 3 4 4 6 6 6 Now I want to color the rows of the groups alternating for better readability. Group 1 (the rows starting with 1) - red Group 2 (the rows starting with 3) - blue Group 3 (the rows starting with 4) - red Group 4 (the rows starting with 6) - blue ....and so on The numbers in this list are not in sequence and have gaps. The number of rows belonging to a group differs from group to group. Any smart and experienced guy out there who can help? Requires a helper column... 1. Assuming your groups are in col. B, ...

Excel 2007 text flash (or blink)
This might have been asked before but if so I'm not finding it when I use a google groups search, mainly because of either none or too many answers returned depending on which keywords I use. Is it possible to make the text and/or the background in any individual cells to flash or blink ? In detail what I need to do is have a cell with a solid black background, text which is yellow, but blinking at a slow cadence, 1 sec on 1 sec off in such a way that it looks as if the text in the cell is flashing between off and on like a flashing light. -- Nick hi also have a look...

Outlook Express 2007
Outlook express 2007 1. How do you see the setting for the OUTLOOK EXPRESS 2007 filter settings ? 2. What kind of spam filter will work on outlook express 2007? 3. how do yu add a spam filter for yur ms exchange srv 2003 ? There is no such product as Outlook Express 2007. Do you mean Outlook 2007? Outlook and Outlook Express are two different programs. "mr hamid" <mr.hamid.4c70dh@no.email.invalid> wrote in message news:mr.hamid.4c70dh@no.email.invalid... : : Outlook express 2007 : 1. How do you see the setting for the OUTLOOK EXPRESS 2007 filter : setting...

CRM 4.0 - Word 2007 - mail merge
OK, so I've read a number of blogs detailing the mail merge process. Open in Word, save as XML, import to CRM, edit and add the mail merge fields. Simple, right? My organization has about a dozen mail merge templates which worked very well in CRM 3.0. I was fully aware I would probably have better luck just re-creating them in CRM 4.0. No biggie. I've done so and mail merge in CRM 4.0 is ... shall we say less than stellar. Mail merge on the Contact entity does not work at all. For any user. Mail merge on the Account and Opp entities works sporadically. Literally from one user to th...

Preprend Text Where Cell Not Empty
Good evening I have a spreadsheet used as a data source for a Word mail merge. The address data has "address1", "address2", etc. Address2 is used store apartment or unit numbers, but does not have a text prefix, just the bare number (Ex. "104"). I want to prepend a "#" before the apartment number (Ex. "# 104"). I generally get the concept that I want to the select the entire column to as a range, and increment down the column. However, if the cell is empty (as would be the case for a house), then we want to skip the cell w...

Counting Blank Cells in Pivot Table
How do I have a Pivot Table count the blank cells as well as the other cells? The Pivot table I created counts everything that had data (A, B, C, D, etc...) but does not count the blank cells. Thank you, Jack As answered in microsoft.public.excel.charting: To count the blanks you could use a space character, or the formula ="", in the source data, instead of leaving the cells blank. The pivot table will be able to count those. Jack wrote: > How do I have a Pivot Table count the blank cells as well > as the other cells? The Pivot table I created counts > everythi...

Word 2007 Unrestricted Access?
I have a file that a customer sent. Under Protect Document > Unrestricted Access is checked. Another person in the office has made changes with the Track Changes on. They were able to save the file, but we cannpt accept the changes because we get a message that says the document is protected. What exactly does "Unrestricted Access" mean? How do we accept changes? Thanks for any assistance you can give me. -- marcia "Unrestricted Access" means anyone can read and change the document, so you or the other employee should be able to accept or reject track...

Removing empty cells in column groups
Hi All, I'm creating a report with row and column groups. But the columns groups are displaying values in sperate rows instead on the same row leaving empty cells. I need to remove those cells and get the column gropu values in a same row. Please refer to this image http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7139/23561415.png Hi What dataset query do you have? I think SELECT MAX(CASE WHEN .... ) should solve the problem "Supun" <Supun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F842A7A9-7975-438E-B2E5-40C72166DF63@microsoft.com... > Hi All, > ...

Changing the color of Cell Selection?
I can barley see the cells I select. How do I change the color of cell selection so I can see what I am trying to highlight? Adjusting my computer contrast settings does not help. Hi, Have a look at Chip Pearson's Rowliner addin http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm Mike "ks" wrote: > I can barley see the cells I select. How do I change the color of cell > selection so I can see what I am trying to highlight? Adjusting my computer > contrast settings does not help. This may be of some help. Copy and paste in the sheet module. Now wheneve...