Word found no merge fields in your main document.

I have been having good luck with mail merge but have suddenly
encountered problem merging Excel data into a word document. All goes
well until I elect Entire worksheet. It is at this point, an error?
window opens with this message: Word found no merge fields in your main
document. Choose the edit main Document butto to insert merge fields
into your main document

As this may be more a Word problem, I will post in both areas. Here is
additional information. I have Office 2000 and XP. Recently working
with this same database I created a phone directory. It turns out the
data was old and I have tried to simultaneoulsly make corrections in
the merged document and database.

For another product, I have inserted other columns in the database.

On the Excel workseet in the left hand corner there is a window that
generally displays the cell location. If I click on the arrow, I get
options for Mail_list1, Print_Area (the one thing I believe I may have
created), and Print_Titles.

However, when I am in word>Mail Merge>select datasource, these are the
options supplied. Entire Spreadsheet; _filterDatabase; Mailing_list;
Print Area;
Z_739F192A_537C_4202_8857_618D95580791_.wvu.FilterData

I have gone through old merge files and deleted them, deleted onld
templates. The only other unusual thing that I did recently was try to
do mail merge in Publisher, but it was not set up to to do querys for
filter or sort, nor was there anything for Next Record. It would
produce the first record multiple times and nothing more, yet after
deleting these pages, when I opened the file it kept trying to locate
the merge data. I copied the mages produced before the merge attempt
and pasted them into a new publisher document and saved it and deleted
the original.

I don't know what the source of the problem is or how to fix it. I was
able to do a merge creating mail labels without any problems. And
previously, I had selected catalogue and it had worked fine. It is a
phone directory which is being created via mail merge> catalogue.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. And I hope I am not
creating a faux pax posting this in several areas and forums, but I'm
up against a deadline and desparate. Thank you, Trudy McDaniel

--
lburg801
lburg801's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28338

Want to Add more Sub description Field

Is Word Converter Compatible with Server 2008??????
We have tried to install the word converter (so 2003 word can read and save 2008 documents). When you try to open a 2007 document, we get the error " There was an error opening file" We have tried on a production server and also test server had have the same results. Uninstall and reinstall several times and . Run as Administrator, everything but no luck. Everything is up-to-date with the lates service packs. We would install Office 2007, but the clients app that does merge to word is not compatible with Word 2007. Is the word converter compatible with Serv...

Publisher: business name or word in all font styles
I like to create logos and do business graphic design. I would really like to have a tool in Publisher where I could type in the name of the company and have Publisher creat a list in a pop-up or page with it in every font style that is available. If this is already available, sorry - but please let me know how to do it. Publisher 2003 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this li...

Paste into "Advanced Find" "search for the words:" field????
Am I doing something wrong, or did microsoft really disable the ability to paste into the "search for the words:" field? You can paste into the email address fields, but that is it. I'm trying to search emails for a specific numeric string, and I don't want to have to type a 30 character number from an email when I could easily copy and paste it. Am I doing something wrong or are they really that stupid??? Thanks! Mick Does CTRL V work for you "Mick" <MickBurkellc@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1121234980.931014.46200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... >...

how do I create a chart from data stored in MS Word
see "subject" ...

conditional text merge
I want to merge text under the following criteria, First issue (data in Col A in sequence) Col A(text) Col B(text) a gg a hh a s b r b ee c tt d ss d ee Merge to: a gg hh s b r c tt d ss ee Second issue (data in Col A not in sequence) a gg b r a hh a s b ee d ss c tt d ee Merge to: a gg hh s b r c tt d ss ee Is it possible to merge it? TIA norik -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi yes it is possible but will require some VBA. below one way: 1. Create a unique list for column A on a separate sheet: - selec...

Can't use Word to Reply or Forward
If I try to Reply or Forward and e-mail while Word is set as my editor, the attempt results in a message about Word being unavailable or the wrong version. If I create a new e-mail with Word and type in an explicit e-mail address in the TO or CC fields, it works fine and sends the e-mail to the entered addresses. But if I use the TO... button to pop up the list of contacts, then select a contact and click OK, Word gives me an error "No such interface exists" and doesn't return the addresses. It was working fine Tuesday afternoon, but was broken the next time I used it ...

How do I delete chart superimposed on Excel document?
Created Excel document. Print preview did not show gridlines. In attempting to get gridlines, somehow got into charts. A chart was created and is superimposed on original document. How do I get rid of the chart? How do I get gridlines on to original document? Oz Right-click on the chart and Edit>Clear>All To print gridlines.................File>Page Setup>Sheet Check "gridlines" and uncheck "draft quality". Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:27:01 -0700, Oz Osborn <Oz Osborn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Created Excel docume...

Using the mail merge function from excell
Is there a way of using the mail merge function in word to set up a three column format of names and addresses. I need to do this without using the "label" format - as I need it in word domument format in order to be able to add and make changes in word. Thanks Sheila You may want to look into storing your data in excel (already has nice columns and rows) and using MSWord's builtin MailMerge to create the labels. You may want to read some tips for mailmerge: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from Davi...

Embedding Word table in Excel cell
Is there any way in which I can embed a small MS Word table in an Excel cell? Thanks. -- Larry Lester Copy / paste as a picture. Pictures can always be re-sized and re-positioned -- Gary's Student "Larry Lester" wrote: > Is there any way in which I can embed a small MS Word table in an Excel cell? > Thanks. > -- > Larry Lester Gary's reply works for pasting the table in as a graphic object _on_ an XL sheet, but you cannot paste a graphic into a cell as cell content. If you simply Paste to a cell, the corresponding number of cells will be filled with th...

Can no longer cut/paste ranges in chart "edit data" fields?
In Excel 2007 I can no longer cut/paste cell ranges into the x and y datasets using the edit data tool. Is there a way to turn this back on? Also the chart range resets itself to the current length of the data, however, in many instances I want to set an exact future range. Is there a way to have excel not reset the range to what it "thinks" I want. > In Excel 2007 I can no longer cut/paste cell ranges into the x and y > datasets > using the edit data tool. Is there a way to turn this back on? I have no problem doing what you can't. Could you provide more det...

Unable to use Word as email editor with outlook 2003 and exchange server
I am Unable to use Word as email editor with outlook 2003 and exchange server. Does anyone have a reason for this and/or a work-around so that I can use MS Word as the email editor. I have reviewed the knowledge base and cannot find a solution. Please help. Thanks, HR HR <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am Unable to use Word as email editor with outlook 2003 > and exchange server. Define "unable". What happens when you try. What version of Word? -- Brian Tillman ...

word freezes periodically when i am tracking changes, using endnote and inserting pictures from file
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel word freezes periodically when i am tracking changes and using endnote and when i am inserting pictures from file. i seem to have no other options but force quit then i get lots of recovered documents. i am doing doctoral study so my documents have endnote field notes and changes highlighted. <br><br>inserting pictures from file into a word document causes instant hanging. Judging from the array of causes you're listing I believe there may be several things that need to be addressed. Sinc...

Problems Getting a Field to Work in a New Mail Message form
I have Outlook 2000 SR-1 using IMO (Internet Mail Only - not Exchange Server). Does anyone know of a way to make sure the From: field appears in a new mail message? For reasons too lengthy to get into, it would be very helpful for me to see the From: field (with my default email address already filled in, of course) as well as they typical To:, CC: and Subject: fields when composing a new email. I did try to create a new form (Tools >Forms >Design a Form >Message) but when I used it, the default email address did not appear. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Sangrateo SangrateoATanonymo...

updating and underlying table field with a combo box selection
I want to use an ID value from a combo box on a subform to update the same ID value in the form's underlying table. My main form is: frm_Street_Joiner_Main My Subform is: frm_Street_Joiner_Sub My Subform table is: tbl_Street_Joiner My Mainform is: frm_Street_Joiner_Main The combo box on my subform is called: StreetName, with a column count of two but the bound column is the actual street name. SELECT QRY_Street_Names_Joiner_Master.Street_Names, QRY_Street_Names_Joiner_Master.StreetNameID FROM QRY_Street_Names_Joiner_Master ORDER BY QRY_Street_Names_Joiner_Master.Street_Names, QR...

Word 2008: PDF as icon?
Hi all, I've a quite particular issue with Word:mac 2008: I have to attach to a document a PDF file as icon. I go into Insert -> Object -> From File and I select my .pdf using the check on "Display as icon". After clicking "Ok" I get a window where I have to choose the page I want to insert and then it doesn't put the icon, but it copies the page in the Word document as image! Does anyone have a clue? I want it displayed as an icon. Thanks and regards. Sorry: Word 2008 can insert only Office files as icons. Use Help>Send feedback to tell Microsoft you...

outlook 2003 / word 2000 conflick
I just installed outlook 2003 and now my office 2000 professional does not work with email. in options it only list word 2003 how do I get word 2000 to work with the new 2003 out look? You can't. Outlook and Word need to be the same version for this. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Bill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07e301c47470$18cc2e10$7d02280a@phx.gbl... >I just installed outlook 200...

Open New Visio Drawing using VBA in Word?
Hi, We're creating new Word 2007 templates, and some of them require flowchart functionality from Visio. Our goal is to create a macro within the Word template to call Visio, open a new drawing and have a custom stencil set open for users to use. Users would then open create their flowchart/diagram in Visio, and it would update automatically into the Word template when Visio is closed. I'm using the following code to start Visio, however I'm stuck on where to go from there: Sub Visio() Shell "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\VISIO.exe", vbN...

Merging queries by column in access
Hi, I have a series of queries which get data aggregated by year, e.g. select year(date), min(var1), avg(var1), max(var1) from table where (ridiculously complicated set of conditions) group by year(date) select year(date), min(var2), avg(var2), max(var2) from table where (entirely different ridiculously complicated set of conditions) group by year(date) etc etc There are six queries like this so what I want is to amalgamate these columns together into one results table (and also into one query so users can just run one stored query rather than six!) as follows: year, m...

when i import a file into a Word it adopts different formatting
When importing a file the document adopts odd formatting. For example - paragraphs suddenly appear in bold - alignment changes etc. It does not adopt the format of the original document. I know that I could use Format Painter to correct this - but the documents are often very long and it is too time consuming to do so. Which styles are applied to the inserted text? Modify those styles in the target document. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via NNTP) "Chelbo" <Chelbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DDEBA41C-0657-4...

Access autonumber field changes to date format when Excel imports
When importing Access data into Excel, the autonumber field in Access is chenged to date format instead of a general number format. I could run a macro to change the number format but this only happens on some Vista machines, not all. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? ...

"Disappearing" lines of text in Word docs
I've noticed a really unusual intermittent bug in my version of MS Word. Suppose there are two consecutive lines of text in my document, Line A and Line B. I want to insert a new line between Lines A & B, so I position the cursor in between them and hit return (not highlighting Line B beforehand, because I'm not trying to get rid of it). When I do so, Line B seems to disappear, with the cursor (and empty line in front of it) taking the place of Line B. However, when I hit "page up" or "page down", Line B reappears. Anyone know why this might ...

Make Word 2008 open with Formatting toolbar showing
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3284189186_6066939 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Is there a way to tell Word 2008 that I want always to have the formatting toolbar showing? What about the formula bar in Excel? I couldn�t seem to get it to stick to the menu bars, much less appear as a default. Thanks! Best, - Bill Leopard 10.5.1 Office 2008 --B_3284189186_6066939 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859...

join two documents
How do I join two files (12 pages one, 10 the other) so that I have only one document of 22 pages? Open both files (run Publisher twice) then cut or copy from one and paste to the other. -- Don Vancouver, USA "MARCO" <MARCO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:374A07F4-58E0-4A58-88DF-6B5FCC58435B@microsoft.com... > How do I join two files (12 pages one, 10 the other) so that I have only one > document of 22 pages? ...

Adding the path and filename to all Excel documents automatically.
The organziation I work for requires that certain information, especially the path and filename, appear in the footer of all documents. I have been able to set this up in Word but I'm stuck as to how to do it in Excel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. --------------- Tykhung. Tykhung, Unless you have excel 2002 or later I think you need a macro, see here http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/pathname.htm#footer If you have not used macros http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm The first link also has a link to the 2002 instructions but here it is anyway http://sup...