wHY WON'T MOST DOWNLOADED .XLS FILES OPEN IN VERSION 5.0 ?

I am still using Excel Version 5.0.  (Ha-Ha)  When I try to open a .XLS file
from a Website, I get an error message reading something like:  "not a valid
..xls file"

Is this because 5.0 is so old, or is there another issue here? How can I
deal with this?

Thank you.
0
Elder (3)

When xl97 was released, the format of the .xls files changed.  xl97 (and above)
can read those old file versions, but that old version can't read the newer
files.

Time to visit eBay (xl2k should be available/cheap)????

--

Dave Peterson
0

If you have no control and don't want to  update,   AND  you don't need
macros you can open the file  with Open Office  (I think it's about 72MB download
when you count all the parts you need) and then
I think you can save the file as Excel 5 from there with Save As  (see links in)
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm

Open Office is free Open Source project  nothing to do with Microsoft,

---
HTH,

"Al the Elder" <Al the Elder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D2CA3446-3A24-4ACF-BC38-70DF6D9AF48B@microsoft.com...
> I am still using Excel Version 5.0.  (Ha-Ha)  When I try to open a .XLS file
> from a Website, I get an error message reading something like:  "not a valid
> .xls file"
>
> Is this because 5.0 is so old, or is there another issue here? How can I
> deal with this?
>
> Thank you.

0
dmcritchie (2586)

test #5
Test of the News -- Elvira Mi Photo Gallery http://www.personal.able.es/ensoriano ...

File Dialog in access 2007 01-11-10
Im having problems with the following code in access 2007. I'm trying to open a file dialog to place an image into a form. Any help would be appreciated Reghards Rob. Sub getFileName() ' Displays the Office File Open dialog to choose a file name ' for the current id record. If the user selects a file ' display it in the image control. Dim fileName As String Dim result As Integer With Application.FileDialog(MsoFileDialogOpen) .Title = "Select Picture" .AllowMultiSelect = False .Filters.Clear...

Problem: "Debug Assertion Failed", File:afxcmn.inl
Hi, I have created an ActiveX ocx control in VC++6.0. When I run it in an ActiveX container of TSTCON32.exe. (the one that is shown while debugging) it runs perfectly. Iam trying to include it in a webpage (I am using visual-interdev for web page creation) by first customizing the toolbox for that ActiveX control and then dragging it to the web page from the toolbox. As soon as I drag it to the webpage, the IDE crashes with a message "Debug Assertion Failed", File:afxcmn.inl Can u suggest me why the problem is occurring and whets the probable solution. Thanks in advance Vijay...

How do you check on Vista if .exe file is 32-bit or 64-bit?
Assume 64-bit Vista and assume that you do not want to run/ execute .exe file. Is there a utility that will read an .exe file and provide specifics like 32-bit or 64-bit code? I can use VS2008 to open any .exe file and it will display a lot of info included there but none indicates if the code was compiled as 32- bit or 64-bit >Is there a utility that will read an .exe file and provide specifics >like 32-bit or 64-bit code? depends (www.dependencywalker.com) or dumpbin /HEADERS Dave ...

Open Items
I have a client that uses open items for things like shipping. They have the price set to $0.00, and it marked Must enter price at the POS. The problem is when they put the price in it changes back to $0.00, and they have to put the price in again. I know this will happen if the item is on sale, but it's not. Anyone else have any ideas? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C92AFD.F5BBAE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable If you are using Price levels, that is the source of the probl...

Excel 2007
On Windows XP SP2 using Excel 2007 I am unable to print from the Open file dialogue. Here is what I am doing: Clicking Open from the Office button Navigating to the file I would to Print Highlighting the document Selecting Print from the Tools menu in the lower left hand corner of the dialogue box The error message I receive states: Cannot print file. It then gives a series of possible reasons, none of which apply because I can print the document if I open it first and then print it normally. Also, I can use the above sequence to print the document if the document is already open. This ser...

Purchase Orders #5
If I want to add new information to the P.O. print out, which file should I have to accesss ? It looks like the report is reading from a temporal file, but I do not know the fields for that file. Open SO Administrator and go to File/Configuration. Look at the Templates Tab. That will show you which XML file is serving as the tmeplate for each document type... -- -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all...

Making Folders Stay Open?
I have a couple of Personal Folders that I would like to stay open at all times. Mainly, I would like them to be open when I start Outlook 2003. Is there any way to set up a folder so that it stays open? Thanks, -barry Only your default folders. The other personal folders you will have to expand manually. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Barry F Margolius asked: | I have a...

Mac OSX How to open a .pub image.
I received an image in the .pub file format from a non-computer literate person. In what program can I open it, or to what program can I import it to - being on Mac OSX 10.3.9 as I am? Thanks! --Doc. On 7/15/05 6:30 PM, in article BEFDB139.E017%drcocktail@bigfoot.com, "DrCocktail" <drcocktail@bigfoot.com> wrote: > I received an image in the .pub file format from a non-computer literate > person. In what program can I open it, or to what program can I import it to > - being on Mac OSX 10.3.9 as I am? It won't open in anything on the Mac. It needs Microsoft Pu...

Planning to Upgrade Great Plains eEnterprise 6.0 to version 9.0
Hi Planning to upgrade from version eenterprise 6.0 running on SQL7.0 to Dynamics 9.0 on SQL 2005 anyone has done it? if so please post. Thx We have done it several times already. We can do it for you. inquire@flogility.com "Plam-Admin" wrote: > Hi Planning to upgrade from version eenterprise 6.0 running on SQL7.0 to > Dynamics 9.0 on SQL 2005 anyone has done it? if so please post. > > Thx Plam, I have done upgrades from 6. to 9.0 Tips: Always print reports before and after each version upgraded and compare. Backup the Reports Dictionary. Create a package file...

Publisher can't open a file it just created
Working with Publisher 2003 we just reinstalled it on a computer because it started have problems opening publisher 2003 files. If I create a new file in publisher then save it, when I try to open it again it tells me that it can not open this file. Has anyone else run into this? It happened on another computer once before and we formated and reinstalled windows. I'd like to not have to re install windows if I can help it. Chris Are you saving the file to the hard drive? Do you have Norton? If so disable "script blocking" and in Norton's options disable "Of...

Money 2004 standar didn't convert Money 2000 delux file
Hi all, I just installed Money 2004 Standar on XP. I just buy it. I used to have a Money 2000 Deluxe. When I try to convert my data file, to work with Money 2004 the program makes a copy of the file with the extension "MN8" and then stops with the error: "Money cannot convert the file" Is there any way I can Convert the file even if the previous version was a Delux and the new is an Standar version? Thanks Fernando Sainz ...

had a virus, now cannot open IE
I have icons on desktop..try to click aol or msn icon get reply cannot find file....same with trying to open from start..I had Total PC Defender and finally got rid of it with Malwarebytes. Did I delete something that maybe I shouldn't have? Chicken wrote: > I have icons on desktop..try to click aol or msn icon get reply > cannot find file....same with trying to open from start..I had Total > PC Defender and finally got rid of it with Malwarebytes. Did I > delete something that maybe I shouldn't have? First, we need to know the name of the malware. O...

Non specific error on opening Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000 Pro system
"Cannot Open Microsoft Outlook. A program error has occurred. Quit Outlook and Windows and then start again." This happens with all profiles on the system. I've repaired Office, reinstalled Office, then uninstalled and reinstalled Office (and redownloaded and applied all patches). It still errors. Other Office apps open just fine. Outlook does connect to the Exchange server, since I can configure services and it recognizes the LAN ID. Any thoughts? Does it start in safe mode, go to Start > Run > type "Outlook /safe" without the quotes "Paula&qu...

Insert a file path as a hyperlink
Is there a way to browse and select the file path and insert it as a hyperlink like in Outlook 2000? Like, in what application? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Brooke asked: | Is there a way to browse and select the file path and | insert it as a hyperlink like in Outlook 2000? First, you have to select HTML from the Format menu. Then, type or past...

A way to link master pages from a master file in publisher?
Is there a way to create a master file (i.e. a template) and link it to several publisher files? That way if the border etc... changes inthe master file, it is updated in all the other linked files. I have figured out master pages, but the files get way to big if I want to contain my entire portfolio on one file. ...

Microsoft Money 2001 #5
I an using Microsoft Money 2001 but when I enter a stock tranction.. Share, company name, sybmol, country. in the list of country ' India ' is not there. and there is no option to add.. How do I solve it ? Pls guide. ...

Sharing outlook express files
If this question is to the wrong ng apologies and please point me in the right direction! I have two computers, both running XP home, linked through a recently acquired Dell wireless router. I want to be able to use either machine for email, using the same email files. The older machine has my email .dbx files. I have shared the folder concerned and made it writable. On the newer machine (laptop) I use Outlook express tools->options->maintenance->store folder and point it at the folder on the other machine. Tells me it will happen next time I restart Express...but nothing happens, ...

How do I read text file in an EXCEL SHEET
Hello, With regards to EXCEL how we read the text file in EXCEL sheet using MACRO. The file is located in d:\Sql\Documents\Amit\log.txt. I want to save the EXCEL sheet, and every time when I open this sheet it reads this text file and displays the contents of this text file in Excel Sheet. I want to use MACRO for reading this text file.How I do that? Thanks Amit fileName = "D:\Sql\Documents\Amit\log.txt" Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=fileName OR Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=fileName, Origin:=xlWindows, StartRow _ :=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array( _ Array(0,...

Error Opening archive .pst
I have archived several years worth of Outlook data. I have created an archive file for each year, and moved the archives to CD. The file does not span CD's. The archive files were created some time ago, and I get an error when attempting to open them. Access denied. I opened them before... What is the trick...? Is it because they are on CD now...? or is it because I have migrated to a new version of Outlook (2003)...? or is it because I have changed user names from my business address when the archives were created to my personal outlook program at home...? i.e. userid changed..? ...

How to display 5.5 hours instead of 5.30 when adding \ subtracting
when adding or subtracting times (13:00-08:30) how do i get the answer formatted to show answer as 4.5 instead of 04:30 Try formatting the result as NUMBER, instead of Date or Time. Format>Cells>Number tab Category: Number Decimal Places: 2 Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "excel novice" wrote: > when adding or subtracting times (13:00-08:30) how do i get the answer > formatted to show answer as 4.5 instead of 04:30 If 4:30 is in A1, then use =A1*24 and format the cell as Number with 2 decimals Excel keeps time as a fraction of a day. -- Bernard V Lien...

>>>Live Chat
On October 4, 2007, the Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) team will host an Open Forum Live Chat. In this chat, our experts will take questions on any Microsoft Dynamics RMS topic. If we get a high volume of questions during the Open Forum chat, our experts might not be able to respond to all of them within the chat timeframe. In that event, our experts will respond after the chat ends, to the extent possible, and their answers will be included in the transcript for the chat. The transcript will be posted to the using page.http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/using Si...

How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?
How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1? On 2/26/08 5:15 PM, in article ee8ee56.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "mollycat@officeformac.com" <mollycat@officeformac.com> wrote: > How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office > 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1? Delete these two files: ~:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2008:Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist where ~ is your home folder, and HD:Applications:Microsoft Office 2008:Office:OfficePID.plist -- Diane, ...

Lost file
My daughter turned off my computer before I could name/save a file in Excel. Will a temp version of it exist anywhere? Thanks! ...

Auto format causes very large .xls files and slows my application.
I don't know how many rows of data will be entered at runtime. Presently I guess the maximum and apply auto format conditions to all rows that "could" be used. But this is creating very large .xls files (35MB) and is very inefficient since every cell format is reassessed every time the workbook is modified (can't switch off auto calc since users will forget to calc ! it's ok for me but not them.). Without using VBA, is there a way to apply auto format to rows containing data ? Select the range, then use Format - Autoformat. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthis...