Why doesn't Excel 2007 automatically update links in Trusted Files

I have a number of workbooks that are all linked to each other.
I also occasionally open other workbooks that have links but I may not want
to upadate these.
In 2003 I could manually set each workbook to update the links so only the
ones I wanted would update the links when opened, but others would not.
So I had a choice.
Now the only choice I have is to update all links (apparently not
recommended) or to have Excel ask me to update for every file, which is
really no choice at all.
All the files I want to update are in my Trusted Locations, so why is there
no option to automatically update the links in files or to files that are in
Trusted Locations?
What is the point in developing this Trust Centre if it doesn't work for the
user, but works against them instead, making things difficult and bombarding
them with prompts everytime they open a file with links in it??

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=37fe5482-553a-4304-b0a5-0aeceb039156&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Linking files 2 ways

File size #11

find action on log file

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Maximum file sizes

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

cannot open hyper links in outlook

learning Excel #3