Why does "windows in taskbar" not work in excel 2003

I am running Excel 2003 on WindowsXP Pro and the Windows in Taskbar does not
work.  Sometimes the Excel icon in the taskbar will disapear when you click
on it; I have to click Alt+Tab in order to see and get to the open Excel
session at that point.
I ran Excel /regserver and Detect and repair and no luck.
0
Boy (15)

Try:

Tools > Options > View

and ensure Windows In Taskbar is checked.

HTH

0
dnoel (171)
7/6/2005 7:17:57 PM
hey DNA,

Thanks for the reply but it doesn't work.  basically when I turn it off and
apply and then switch it back on it works but when Excel is closed and
reopend, it no longer works.

Anybody?

"DNA" wrote:

> Try:
>
> Tools > Options > View
>
> and ensure Windows In Taskbar is checked.
>
> HTH

0
MonkeyBoy (1)
7/6/2005 8:52:01 PM
I hate to say this, but have you either thought about re-installing XL or
possibly checking for the lastest SP?

0
dnoel (171)

Windows in Taskbar Problem
Windows in Taskbar Problems O/S : WinXP-Home Edition (All SP's and SR's installed) Office Suite : MS OfficeXP (All SP's and Critical Patches installed) Problem : Task (window) switching from the taskbar. When opening several documents in Word 2002 OR several spreadsheets in Excel 2002 the active document window is displayed on the desktop and the inactive documents are minimized to the taskbar. To move from one document to another I seem to have three choices. The first choice is to use the "Window" menu and select the document I want to be the Active documen...

Windows in taskbar
Hi I have a user who rings me up every couple of weeks to say that Windows in Taskbar has switched itself off. Does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut that she might be hitting to do this unintentionally? Thanks. -- Andy. Any chance that she's using a shared workbook in xl2k (or below). This has been fixed in xl2002. Maybe she could use a workbook that checks this setting each time it could get changed: http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?threadm=4159CE6B.62E3F659%40msn.com "Andy B" wrote: > > Hi > I have a user who rings me up every couple of weeks to say tha...

Windows in TaskBar in Excel doesn't Work the Same as in Word
I'm using the Windows in Taskbar option in Excel 2002. I use this option in Word 2002. In Word when I have two documents open, each document opens up in its own window (essentially, it's like having two Word programs open at the same time). I can drag one window over to my second monitor and each window acts independent of another. When I use the Windows in Taskbar option in Excel, it does not behave the same. It holds each document in the same window - even though each document appears separately in the taskbar. Is this a limitation of Excel 2002 or a bug or a known issue...

Windows in Taskbar not working
Hi All, Just started recently, Excel 2003's Windows in Taskbar (Tools > Options > View) option stopped working for me. Even though this box is checked, multiple workbooks still open under one Excel taskbar. I've done the "Detect and Repair" as well as applied Office SP1 patch, still no luck. Any thoughts? Thanks, VT Maybe it's a windows setting. Rightclick on an empty spot on the windows taskbar. Select Properties. On the Taskbar tab, uncheck "group similar taskbar buttons" VT wrote: > > Hi All, > > Just started recently, Ex...

Windows in Taskbar #2
I have a user that is using Excel 2000 and the option for Windows in Taskbar keeps on unticking itself. This means that all workbooks are displayed under the same Excel tab on the Taskbar. If they go back into the options and re-select the "Windows in Taskbar" option all the workbooks come back as seperate entries on the Taskbar. The option seems to de-select itself while they are in Excel working. I have tried upgrading to Excel 2003, re-creating user profile and running all updates for Excel 2003 - nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions please? Hi I belie...

Why does shared workbooks uncheck users Windows in Taskbar option
Every time users go into a shared workbook it unchecks their previously selected option to show Windows In Taskbar (Tools\Option\View\Windows In Taskbar). I've tried saving the program with this option checked but it seems every time I make it a shared workbook and go back into it, this option unchecks itself. Any way around this? What version of excel are you running? Saved from a previous post... There's a bug in xl2k that shows up if you're working with shared workbooks. If you're not using xl2k and shared workbooks, it sounds like you don't have permission to ...

Windows in taskbar #6
Windows 2000 Office XP. When opening several xls files only one shows on taskbar. Tools, Options, View, Select or clear the Windows in taskbar check box. Have used the above. Sometimes they show and sometimes they do not. Have another computer with same Windows 2000, Office XP and all xls files show on task bar when above is checked. On the computer that is not working .... Word windows all show on the task bar. Any suggestions what might be happening???? Thanks.. ...

Shared workbook and Windows in taskbar option doesn't work together
Hi, I have quite a annoying problem with MS Excel 2000. I have Windows in Taskbar option (Tools->Options->View) always on, because I have lot of excel files open concurrently and that helps me to have an overview on what is opened and what is not. This works fine when I have no shared workbook opened. But when I open a shared workbook then Excel automatically cleans Windows in Taskbar option and shows only a single window in taskbar. When I reenable Windows in taskbar then it will be cleared next time when I open a shared workbook. Has anybody had a similar problem and found a...

Windows in Taskbar #5
SYSTEM STATUS: a.. Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 2 b.. Word: 2002 (10.6612.6626) Service Pack 3 c.. Excel: 2002 (10.6612.6626) Service Pack 3 d.. Word: Tools - Options - ViewTab -Windows in Taskbar IS checked. e.. Excel: Tools - Options - ViewTab -Windows in Taskbar IS checked. a.. The Taskbar Properties has "Group similar taskbar buttons" UNCHECKED TEST 1: a.. Start Windows Explorer. b.. Navigate to a folder which contains at least two Word files and two Excel files. c.. Double-click one Word file. ...

Windows in taskbar #2
The windows in taskbar box keeps getting "unchecked" while working in different execel spreadsheets. I re-check it and save/close the box, but it continues to happen. Any ideas to correct this? Richard From a posting by Debra Dalgleish............. There's some information in the following MSKB article: OFF2000: Only One Icon Visible in Taskbar When "Windows in Taskbar" Option Is Selected http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=215816 and the following advice from Dave Peterson '========================== From: Dave Peterson (ec35720@msn.com) Su...

Windows in Taskbar #4
I am using MS Excel 2000 and Windows 2000. I like to have differen worksheets in my taskbar as it's own icon so I can ALT-TAB back an forth. When I open some worksheets it "turns off" this option. So then need to go back to Tools=>Options=>Windows in Taskbar and put th checkmark in. Can someone explain to me why this happens and how I can always have i default to staying checked? Thanks -- Quahogbo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Quahogboy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=854 View this ...

Windows in Taskbar won't stay turned ON
Excel 2000 in Windows 2000 environment. I keep turning ON the the "Windows in Taskbar" option found on the View tab of the Options dialog box, but everytime I open another workbook, it becomes turned OFF. Does anyone know why it won't stay ON? How do I "force" the issue? Is it a bug in Excel or is it a Windows 2000 issue? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks -- TTFN JMMach (remove NOSPAM from the email address) The following MSKB article may help: OFF2000: Only One Icon Visible in Taskbar When "Windows in Taskbar" Option Is Selected http://support.mic...

i want all windows in one excel frame (windows in taskbar)
Hi I am using Office 2007 and need all excel windows under 1 excel frame so that i can switch between windows Open Excel Options (from Office tool - colourful ball) Open Advanced tab in left of dialog Locate Display group Put check in Show All Windows in Taskbar best wishes -- Bernard Liengme http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme Microsoft Excel MVP "Subramanya" <Subramanya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7836B5CF-B994-48B4-AE3A-64300C15E0BB@microsoft.com... > Hi > I am using Office 2007 and need all excel windows under 1 excel frame so >...

Windows in taskbar
I would like all open Excel files to show on my task bar. When I change this setting in Tools/options, it does not save - I have to change it each time I go into Excel. Is there a place to save this so it applies to all Excel files? Thanks! I believe it should be enough to change it and it will default to that. You can also change the registry HOKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Options and change ShowWindowsInTaskbar value from 0 to 1 If you are not computer savvy you might be better off avoiding changing the registry -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Erica&qu...

Why does "windows in taskbar" not work in excel 2003
I am running Excel 2003 on WindowsXP Pro and the Windows in Taskbar does not work. Sometimes the Excel icon in the taskbar will disapear when you click on it; I have to click Alt+Tab in order to see and get to the open Excel session at that point. I ran Excel /regserver and Detect and repair and no luck. Try: Tools > Options > View and ensure Windows In Taskbar is checked. HTH hey DNA, Thanks for the reply but it doesn't work. basically when I turn it off and apply and then switch it back on it works but when Excel is closed and reopend, it no longer works. Anybody? &...

Problem with Windows in Taskbar command
I have recently upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003. (I am running XP Pro.) When I open Excel, if I go to Tools>Options>View the box for Windows in Taskbar is already checked. However, if I open multiple Excel files, they do not show in the taskbar. While the multiple files are open, if I uncheck Windows in Taskbar, and tell it OK to close the dialogue box, nothing changes as you would expect. If I then immediately reopen Tools>Options>View, check the Windows in Taskbar button, and tell it OK to close the dialogue box, all the open files appear in the Taskbar. The...

excel windows in taskbar
Is there a way to make the "show windows in taskbar" option a global default for excel? I have to go to Tools>Options>View and check the Windows In Taskbar box every day for every document to make it work. Is there a way to make it stick? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=21581 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com dork What version of Excel? Always good to state the version because some problems are version-specific and trouble-shooting is easier. From a posting by Debra Dalgleish............. There's some information in the following MSKB...

why do windows in taskbar go away
Why does the Windows in Taskbar checkbox within options become unchecked after opening a shared file? -- j-dawg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ j-dawg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16551 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=345905 dawg You don't state which version of Excel but....... This is a bug with shared workbooks in Office 2000 and it seems there never was a fix for it. Excel 2002 has corrected the bug. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:54:0...

Windows in Taskbar
I'm using Office 2007 with Windows XP, SP3. I have show all windows in the taskbar checked off in options, but all my open Word documents are in one window. I don't know how to explain that any better; I have to click on the window, and my documents are listed there. Then I need to click on the one I want to open. How can I get them all to display on my taskbar the way they used to with Office 2003? Thanks. Note that if you have many documents open at the same time, they will be grouped on the taskbar. To turn off that option: Right-click the taskbar and choose Pro...

Windows in Taskbar #3
I have noticed a few people have posted regarding this problem but from what I can see no-one has come up with an answer as yet! Two users of ours share Excel spreadsheets and it seems that randomly the "Windows in Taskbar" option keeps on becoming unchecked. This means that they have to access the different workbooks through the Windows menu which they don't want to do. Does anyone know what I can try to resolve this please? So far I have tried creating a new user profile and updating to Office 2003. Any suggestions (no matter how ludicrous!) would be greatly appreciated...

Windows in Taskbar option won't stay on
After much searching I finally found the "Windows in Taskbar" option that enables me to open XL sheets as seperate windows in the taskbar. My problem is that it won't stay switched on. I have tried saving the file afterwards, but it is always swithed off when I next open XL. This is only a problem in Excel, not Word. I am working in Office 2000 (I think it was upgraded from Office 97 - could that be cause this?) Thanks in anticipation Gavin PS: Before anyone tells me that this is an annoying feature, let me tell why I like it. I often have to switch between XL sheets, ...

"Show Windows in Taskbar" option from the Tools>Options>View broke
I like to have each workbook have its own tab in the taskbar. This function used to work by selecting the above referenced option, but no longer. Checking and unchecking the option has no effect. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Excel to no avail. I really REALLY don't have the time to reinstall right now. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this annoying defect? ...

Excel 2000: Options-View-Show-Windows in Taskbar resets everytime.
Excel 2000: Options-View-Show-Windows in Taskbar resets everytime I load a shared workbook. It's very anoying. Does anyone know how to stop this happening? Thanks John This is a bug with shared workbooks in Office 2000 and it seems there never was a fix for it. Excel 2002 has corrected the bug. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:05:02 -0800, Papa John <Papa John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Excel 2000: Options-View-Show-Windows in Taskbar resets everytime I load a >shared workbook. It's very anoying. Does anyone know how to stop this >happenin...

Windows In Taskbar Inconsistencies
Just a little rant about the weird, highly disconcerting document switching inconsistencies between Office apps. I would have thought this would have been corrected in Office 2003. Sadly, it was not. Here are the inconsistencies: Word - No problem here. It's SDI done right. Each document is its own window. I'm actually not a huge fan of SDI but Word works well, elegantly, and is consistent. Excel - Fake SDI using MDI done BADLY. All your documents show up on the taskbar making you THINK they're all their own distinct window. But, if you click the X in the top of one of the...

Excel 2007 - windows in taskbar option
I have recently installed Excel 2007 professional, and cannot find the option available in all of the previous versions of Excel in the Tools\Options dialog for windows in taskbar. Where is it? Office button > Excel options Advanced, see the display section -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm <edjlove@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1169673228.789158.226330@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have recently installed Excel 2007 professional, and cannot find the > option available in all of the previous versions of Excel in the > Tools\Options dial...