why are there quotes in my exported text file?

I saved an Excle file containing text into a tab delimeted text file and all
the data is now in quotes.  The file will be used as a input file to another
progarm and the quotes will not be accepted.  How can the quotes be left off?
0
AlexK (4)

AlexK wrote:
> I saved an Excle file containing text into a tab delimeted text file and all
> the data is now in quotes.  The file will be used as a input file to another
> progarm and the quotes will not be accepted.  How can the quotes be left off?

Find and Replace. Find " and replace with - nothing!

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
0
gordonbp11 (453)
2/16/2005 6:28:32 PM
Hey Alex-

The Quotation Marks are used in data transfer as what are called Qualifiers.
They are used by the receiving program to distinguish between fields
containing TEXT as opposed to VALUES. If that program is a data management
program, the Quotes do not show up as field content, they just help that
program identify what type of data it is. In this case the Quotes should be
there.

If the program that will use the data is not a data management application
or cannot accept the file as-is, it might be best to Save As again using a
File Type that is compatible with the other program. Just stripping out the
quotes could cause other problems on the receiving end.

Hope this is useful |:>)

"AlexK" wrote:

> I saved an Excle file containing text into a tab delimeted text file and all
> the data is now in quotes.  The file will be used as a input file to another
> progarm and the quotes will not be accepted.  How can the quotes be left off?
0
CyberTaz (411)

Counting Repeated text or duplicates in a list
I need a simple formula to count the total number of repeated text in a list (column). Say there is thousands of entries (confirmation numbers) both numeric, alphabetic and alpha-numeric but many of the entries are repeats. How can I calculate in one cell the total number of repeated instances in the list? And I can't sort the list, just calculate the number of repeated instances in the list just the way it is, and the list is still growing, so I need the formula to be able to count all instances in the list even as they are being added. plz help ! =COUNTA(A1:A50)-SUMPRODUCT((...

Exporting Custom Security Roles CRM 4.0
Is there any way of exporting custom security roles in CRM 4.0? It appears only the OOB Security Roles are 'exportable'. It only makes sense that customized ones could be exported. I don't have any problems exporting custom security roles. Aren't they listed in the export customizations list? -- Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP CRM Blog: http://www.stunnware.com/?area=blog ---------------------------------------------------------- "Kraig" <kraigr3@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:9737235c-b921-4d9b-902b-6f5056525fd7@c65g2000hsa.googlegroup...

how to select multiple text boxes in excel for formatting
I am trying to select multiple text boxes for formatting the font but seem unable to select all of them other than to click on each one individually. Is there an easy way to select all of the text boxes at once? To select multiple objects on the sheet -- Click on one object Hold the Ctrl key, and click on additional objects To select all the objects on the sheet -- Choose Edit>Go To, click Special Select Objects, click OK Or, to work with specific objects, you can add the 'Select Multiple Objects' tool to one of your toolbars: Choose Tools>Customize Select the Commands tab...

Hidden files in Ms-Query cause ODBC connect errors or Query is wac
I have a Query fetch_from_bob that moves data (collapses records,unique key search, etc...) from excel spreadsheet "bob" to excel spreadsheet "fred". Fred and bob live in the same directory" c:\123directory" on the same computer. I allow this query to execute/refresh data automatically when one of the query paramaters is changed. This works great. I also have a macro that invokes the query to refresh the data whenever the user desires. This works great as well. The macro literally has all the VB code to execute the query. But I'm just a part time progra...

impossible to access the "news" from outlook 2003
I wanted to set-up my newsgroups access In outlook 2003. I followed the documented procedure (toolbar/standard/customize) from the help menu to add the "News" selection to the "GO" menu. It worked but when I exited Outlook and got back later the "news" menu disappeared. I tried to reinstate it following the same installation procedure but the News option is no more available in the "toolbar/customize list". Looks like a bug. Has anybody faced the same issue ? Is there a workaround to access the Newsgroup interface ? Thanks, Laurent conflicts ...

Limits on Exporting Outlook Contact Data
Anyone know how to get custom fields, follow-up flags, and/or the "contacts" (links between contacts) from MS Outlook 2003 to Excel, CSV, Goldmine, or Act? The standard export utility in Outlook does not offer export of these fields. Most important is the links between contacts. You'd have to write your own code to do this. A key issue would be what information from the linked contact(s) you want to include. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode....

Outlook: Can't open JPEG files
I have Outlook 2000 an unable to open JPEG files. What setting has to be changed to open these files? ...

File Edit toolbar is missing
The File Edit toolbar in Excel is missing First thing to check: Tools|customize|toolbars tab|make sure worksheet menubar is selected. Well, maybe the first thing to check is to verify that you can see all of excel--it's not just off the display window??? stellarmellor wrote: > > The File Edit toolbar in Excel is missing -- Dave Peterson ...

8192 rows limit when opening wk1 files ?
Hello, I am opening a .wk1 file, which contains around 60K rows, but only the first 8192 rows appear in Excel. Is there any way to have all the rows in the Excel file ? Thanks, Paul "paul" wrote... >I am opening a .wk1 file, which contains around 60K rows, >but only the first 8192 rows appear in Excel. > >Is there any way to have all the rows in the Excel file ? WK1 as in Lotus 1-2-3 Release 2.x native file format? Such .WK1 files support a single worksheet of 256 columns and 8,192 rows. PERIOD. Did you generate this '.WK1' file using a program other then...

"Print Quote For Customer"
Using the Outlook client this option is under the file menu when you have a quote open. What template does this use and where do I download it from? ...

"Transfer Out" Call Option
I manually entered into Money 2007 Deluxe a covered call (buy stock, sell to open for a call option) that I made in September 2007. In November 2007 I transferred all of the assets (including the stock and short call) to another account. I was able to "transfer out" all of the equities to the new account. When I try to transfer the call MS Money says that "The activity 'transfer out' is unavailable for the investment type you have selected." In reality the calls were transferred from brokerage to brokerage. Any ideas how to make this happen in MS Money 2007? Thank...

GUID/Outlook format link giving error "Unable to open the seleted folder or item"
Hi, I have created custom forms in multiple public Outlook folders and when I send the GUID type link to the user, they receive an error: "Unable to open the seleted folder or item". The same happens if I send the Outlook type link. However, if I ask the user to go to the folder and find the appropriate posting, then the form opens and after that the link works, too. Is this due to some Exchange server setting? My clients are not the type that tolerate opening the form the long way, they want a one click solution. Please help, this is driving my team crazy. Any ideas are welcome...

exporting to address book
I want to export address's from excell into address book for the mac. DIF is not available and have tried other formats to no avail. Anyone know how to do this. I have 1000 names, address's, phone numbers and email address's and wish to email to this group. Thanks Scotty Scotty I would look at either csv or txt output (File>Save as...), there are very few address books in the PC world certainly that don't offer these import formats -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Scotty&...

Best way to read an xml file
Hi; If I need to read an XML file - basically the SAX approach where I just need each node in order - one pass, read-only - what is the best way to do this. It looks like it's XmlReader but I want to verify that. ??? -- thanks - dave "David Thielen" <thielen@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:BEA51BCB-B200-4104-B061-CA32FECD9DFD@microsoft.com... > If I need to read an XML file - basically the SAX approach where I just need > each node in order - one pass, read-only - what is the best way to do this. Yes, if your only requirement is a firehose forward reader,...

"X-axis crosses at..."
You can make the x-axis cross at the maximum Y-value, but is it possible (without macro) to make it cross at the minimum value? I should find that much more useful. NSV -- nsv ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nsv's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26500 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=526722 When this is an issue for me, I just use some value <= the minimum Y axis value that the data will ever see. So, if my Y data will always be positive, I set the X axis crosses...

Add phone number to quote report.
Hey guys, My retail staff asked me if it is possible to add the customer phone number to the Quote summary or Quote detailed report. Does anyone know what changes need to be made to the report to make this happen. I know I will have to change the query and add a join statement to get it from the customer record but am unable to figure out how to do it. Any ideas? Thanks, Nevermind, I figured it out myself. Thanks anyway. <nick@realkiteboarding.com> wrote in message news:BhKXd.15130$GO5.11570@fe07.lga... > Hey guys, > > My retail staff asked me if it is possible to a...

Export relationship information from Visio to Excel
Hello all, Is there a way to export information regarding relationships from a visio diagram to an excel spreadsheet? In addition, is there a way to tell the excel spreadsheet to eliminate or change a relationship and for that action to be applied onto the visio diagram? thanks, ivan as a general answer I'd have to say "no, not without custom code". You didn't define what you meant as a relationship. al "Ivan Salas" <IvanSalas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6332A594-E4AF-4E8B-BA2D-7A4BC17962B3@microsoft.com... > Hello all, > &...

Problem exporting/importing .psf
Hi guys, I searched the community before and couldn't find anything regarding this issue. I am trying to export an Outlook 2000 mailbox from one user account to another. However, when I try and import it, I get the message saying that "Personal Folders "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use". I have looked up solutions for this and they say to make sure its not read only. I tried this and it doesnt work, its currently NOT read only. Please note: This is a computer where the Outlook folder source for the export is on a user account no...

Large Files with Strongly Typed Dataset
I have an xsd file that I use to create a strongly typed dataset in my project. In the past, I have used the ReadXml method to load xml files into the generated class and read data in using this class. These files have now become big (order of 100MB) and this completely kills the readxml performance. I have read multiple posts that tell you not to use datasets for large files. I even tried calling BeginLoadTables before starting the read. However, I really need the strongly typed dataset functionality in my program - it forms the core of my project. Is there a way I can load this data into t...

Missing rtl70bpl file
After receiving what seemed to be a false positive from Avast free Home edition I now get (after every restart), the following... "This application has failed to start because rtl70bpl was now found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem". Appreciate any advice on how to reinstall same. Have Googled for help but have not found the correct site. TIA. franktee Winxp Pro SP3 On Dec 3, 11:42=A0am, franktee <frank...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > After receiving what seemed to be a false positive from Avast free Home > edition I now get (afte...

Allow Account Description changes in "Mass Modify" screen
In the "Mass Modify" screen of Account Maintenance "Cards", there should be a selection for Description changes. Some of our Accounts have 45-50 account combinations. If an account needs to be renamed, I have to go into each card to update. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click ...

Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed.
Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed. I am using XP, with Outlook 2003. For some reason, all my 800 contacts are having a problem. When I open the contact screen the "Full Name... " field is displaying names backwards. "Mr. John Smith" displays as "Mr. Smith John" I have checked my "Contacts Options" selection for default Full Name order and it correctly displays "First (Middle) Last"... I have noticed that if I delete the name and re-enter it, it displays correctly, however I cannot spend the time to d...

"Customize Outlook Today
I just purchased a new computer with Windows XP Professional installed (replacing my old one, with Windows 95). After installing my Office 2000 suite onto the new computer, I find that in Outlook, when I click on the "Customize Outlook Today" button, nothing happens. Acordingly I am unable to configure the display to suit my needs. For example, I need to have the days tasks only, rather than the full list you get when you cannot customize the display. Any suggestions? The answer may be found in MS Knowledge Base article 820575, "You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After...

Keeping Archive File in Folders List
I have a colleague who placed the Archive file at the top of her list of folders in Outlook so it is easy to open the Archive file and search for a message or appointment if necessary. She can't remember how she managed to do this and I would love to do this myself.Any suggestions? Thank You File-> OPen-> Outlook Data File... and browse to archive.pst -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Joan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft....

Error saving Excel files in a network drive
I have a problem saving Excel files onto a network drive. I get an error saying it was imposible to save the file. It creates a temporary file and then I have to open it and save it as a new document. This issue doesn�t occur saving the file in my hard disk. This happens with "Full control" access to the shared folder... I have Windows XP and Office 2000. Thanks in advance Mateo. Hi Mateo, > I have a problem saving Excel files onto a network drive. I get an error > saying it was imposible to save the file. It creates a temporary file and > then I have to open it and sav...