where is the excel template located?

Where is the default excel (office 2003) template located? I suspect I
have somehow modified mine.

I have a problem exporting a report from MYOB into excel in that the
date appears in the US format for the first 56 rows, and then the
Australian format for the remaining rows. I have all settings as far as
I can see in the computer set to Australian format. Even when I try and
change the date format to Australian on the first 57 rows the display
will not change to Australian format. I have tried clearing all formats
and reformatting it but it still will not change (in these first 57
rows). The problem seems to be confined to my computer as I have tested
other computers in our office without any problems.

>>Where is the default excel (office 2003) template located?

Excel does not natively have a default template.  The default workbook you
get on starting Excel is not based on any file on disk (natively).  You can
create a default template however and Excel will base new workbooks (and the
startup workbook) on it.

If you had one its name would be BOOK.XLT and it would likely be found at:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

--
Jim
"Doug McKean" <dougmckean@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
| Where is the default excel (office 2003) template located? I suspect I
| have somehow modified mine.
|
| I have a problem exporting a report from MYOB into excel in that the
| date appears in the US format for the first 56 rows, and then the
| Australian format for the remaining rows. I have all settings as far as
| I can see in the computer set to Australian format. Even when I try and
| change the date format to Australian on the first 57 rows the display
| will not change to Australian format. I have tried clearing all formats
| and reformatting it but it still will not change (in these first 57
| rows). The problem seems to be confined to my computer as I have tested
| other computers in our office without any problems.

0
jrrech (1932)
9/28/2005 1:09:59 PM
I left off the XLSTART.  That should be:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

--
Jim
"Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| >>Where is the default excel (office 2003) template located?
|
| Excel does not natively have a default template.  The default workbook you
| get on starting Excel is not based on any file on disk (natively).  You
can
| create a default template however and Excel will base new workbooks (and
the
| startup workbook) on it.
|
| If you had one its name would be BOOK.XLT and it would likely be found at:
|
| C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
|
| --
| Jim
| "Doug McKean" <dougmckean@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
|| Where is the default excel (office 2003) template located? I suspect I
|| have somehow modified mine.
|| I have a problem exporting a report from MYOB into excel in that the
|| date appears in the US format for the first 56 rows, and then the
|| Australian format for the remaining rows. I have all settings as far as
|| I can see in the computer set to Australian format. Even when I try and
|| change the date format to Australian on the first 57 rows the display
|| will not change to Australian format. I have tried clearing all formats
|| and reformatting it but it still will not change (in these first 57
|| rows). The problem seems to be confined to my computer as I have tested
|| other computers in our office without any problems.

0
jrrech (1932)
9/28/2005 1:11:35 PM
Just a guess....

I don't think it has anything to do with any of your templates.

I'm guessing that when you imported your data from MYOB, the data that looked
like valid dates changed to dates--but the ones that don't look like dates,
didn't get changed and were brought in as text.

If one of your dates looks like:
01/02/03
in MYOB (I don't use it)

Check to see if that date still represents the same date in Excel.

Format that date in a non-ambiguous format:  mmmm dd, yyyy and see if you really
got:
January 02, 2003
or
February 03, 2001
or what.

If all your "Dates" imported from MYOB can be brought in as text, you'll be
better off.  You'll be able to select that column of dates and do:

data|text to columns
choose the correct date format (ymd, dmy, mdy,...)
and it should work.

I don't know if MYOB works that way, though--but I wouldn't trust the dates --
especially if some were converted to dates and some weren't.

======
Excel's template file for new workbooks/worksheets is buried into the program
(and some registry settings).  But you can override those defaults by creating a
book.xlt (or sheet.xlt) and storing it in your XLStart folder.)

Doug McKean wrote:

> Where is the default excel (office 2003) template located? I suspect I
> have somehow modified mine.
>
> I have a problem exporting a report from MYOB into excel in that the
> date appears in the US format for the first 56 rows, and then the
> Australian format for the remaining rows. I have all settings as far as
> I can see in the computer set to Australian format. Even when I try and
> change the date format to Australian on the first 57 rows the display
> will not change to Australian format. I have tried clearing all formats
> and reformatting it but it still will not change (in these first 57
> rows). The problem seems to be confined to my computer as I have tested
> other computers in our office without any problems.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Vertical Indent in Excel 2002
Please help me to create Vertical Indent in Excel 2000 or 2002 because the border line are very near to the text given in a table, it looks very congested in the gap between lines and text when we use auto fit to rows option. there is any solution for this please help me i want to know the option. No such feature as Vertical Indent. You can use Alt + Enter to provide a line feed at top and bottom of cell. Select a cell then hit Alt + Enter Type the text you need then hit Alt + Enter then Enter. This will give you a blank line at top and bottom. Gord Dibben MS Exc...

excel columns keep changing size
I have a spreadsheet that I want to print on legal sized paper. I have 5 columns that I want to be as wide as possible and fit on the paper, landscape format. Every time I try to change the font size of the text, excel automatically changes the columns size. ALso, even though it says that the font is 48 points, it shows up as very tiny on the screen and also on paper. What is going on? Check your pages set up settings. Go to sheet in page set up and check to see if the print area is empty this could have a range in it. If it does and this is too large for th paper you are using then it wi...

Excel Formatted Spreadsheet To SQL ?
Hello, Is there any reasonably straightforward way to convert an Excel spreadsheet, or part of one, to a format that SQL would accept ? Thanks, Bob Usually the method that works is to save the worksheet in CSV format. Then import the CSV format into your database. Access will import CSV and so wil a number of other databases. -- joel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=229 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=196450 http://www.the...

missing excel VBA help file
I'm missing the excel 97 VBA help file "VEenUl3.hlp". I assume this file is on the software distribution pack that came with my computer. If it is do I reinstall excel or can I just copy the help file from the distribution pack? Finally I may not have the distribution pack since I've moved three times in the five years since the computer was purchased. How would I get a copy if I need it? I'm using windows 98. Thanks for your help John VBA and help files are not part of normal Office install. ie. Office 9 or Excel 97 *not* Windows disk required. Perhaps you ...

How do I read Pocket Excel files from Excel
Just got an Ipaq and trying to use ActiveSync to synchronise speadsheet files between that and my desktop. Unfortunately, when I update the file using Pocket Excel on the Ipaq, it is converted to .pxl format, which the desktop version of Excel (2000) won't read! How do I get round this one? ...

How To Create Order Form in Excel
Hey, I am trying to create a fundraiser order form in Excel and I don't know how to slant the cells. I angled the words at a 45degree angle and I want the whole cell to transform that way. Any advice? You can't slant the cell itself. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. "MAllen" wrote: > Hey, I am trying to create a fundraiser order form in Excel and I don't know > how to slant the cells. I angled the words at a 45degree angle and I want the > whole cell to transform that way. Any advice? ...

How to create a line chart with two X-axes in Excel
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! How can I create a line chart with two X-axes in Excel? select one of your data series and change axis to secondary. <chart><<chart options><Axis> Select secondary x axis. "JaVaughn" wrote: > PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! How can I create a line chart with two X-axes in Excel? Hello, thank you for replying. Which chart type would allow for 2 X-axes. The only chart type that I know that allows for 2 axes is "Line Chart with 2 Y-axes". For the above-mentioned chart, the option to designate a primary and secondary x-axis is display...

prevent Excel from EVER automatically converting numbers to dates
in Excel v. X for Mac how do I permanently prevent Excel from EVER automatically converting numbers to dates. Formatting individual cells as text will not work in my applications. I need to disable this funtion. Not possible - there's no preference option to turn this off. Instead of preformatting as text, entries can be made with an apostrophe as a prefix: '3/4 You might be able to use an event macro to change it back retroactively, but that depends on knowing what format the user entered it. For instance, 3/4, 3-4, 4Mar, mar4, etc will all be interpreted as 4 Marc...

excell documents
when i double click on excell documents on my desktop nothing happens. instead, i must open excell first click on file then open its then that my documents opens. any idea on what might be causing this. makolomakwem@ananzi.co.za -- hunter Can you single click the excel document to highlight it from the desktop. If so, can you then select "Enter" to open the document. Does the double-click issue happen with any other items on the desktop? "hunter" wrote: > when i double click on excell documents on my desktop nothing happens. > instead, i must open excell first...

Can I make a Cladogram using microsoft Excel?
I'm using microsoft offfice 2003 and was curious is there anyway I can make a caldogram using the program? I know that it is possible to make a family tree; however this is inifficient in depicting ancestoral progression of the species- which would be better display with a cladogram. Any Help greatly appreciated! Hi, Maybe fernando cinquegrani's cluster or grafi examples may help. http://www.prodomosua.it/ppage02.html It should be possible to construct a chart using a xy-scatter and various charting tricks. But a lot depends on how you have this data stored. Cheers Andy La...

How do I activate sort in Excel?
I have worksheets set up in Excel. I am wanting to sort 1 column of these worksheets, but my sort button seems to be grayed out & I cannot select it. How do I activate the sort function again. Any ideas? Hi marygries Unprotect your sheet -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "marygries" <marygries@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A81E1842-3CF4-4CF5-85B3-ED01BEF943C7@microsoft.com... >I have worksheets set up in Excel. I am wanting to sort 1 column of these > worksheets, but my sort button seems to be grayed out & I cannot s...

Stop excel icon showing at the bottom when opening spreadsheets
how can i stop the excel icons showing at the bottom when i open multiple spreadsheets. this can be annoying when you have other applications open also. Hi Rajesh, I assume you mean the Excel icons in the Windows taskbar. To prevent these from appearing go to Tools -> Options and on the View tab deselect the Windows in Taskbar checkbox. Michael "Rajesh" wrote: > how can i stop the excel icons showing at the bottom when i open multiple > spreadsheets. this can be annoying when you have other applications open also. > > ...

Corrupt Excel Menu Bar
Somehow my excel menu bar became corrupted. I now have 7 "Edit" menus, 2 Format menus, and 2 Tools menus in my standard excel view. As a keyboard user (rather than a mouse user), this is killing my productivity. Any ideas? Help! Try this. Right-click your menu bar, select Customize, click the Toolbars tab, click the Reset button, click OK, click Close. That should reset your menu to normal. >-----Original Message----- >Somehow my excel menu bar became corrupted. I now have >7 "Edit" menus, 2 Format menus, and 2 Tools menus in my >standard excel ...

Excel and Word Attachments Time Out in OWA
I am having an odd problem in OWA. Many end users are experiencing time out problems when trying to access Word or Excel attachments in OWA on Exchange 2003. It appears to be only Word or Excel as others work fine. OWA is being accessed on a front-end server. However, all attachments work fine when accessed through the back-end server. Any ideas? ...

data-set too big for Excel
I am using Excel to extract data from a database, but when the extracted data is too extensive, Excel is stuck. Is there any way to expand the data-holding capacity of Excel? I am using Excel 2000. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Representing times in excel without dates
Excel experts I need your help!! I am using Office XP excel and am trying to represent time in the format: AM/PM without seconds. When I put in the time [I have the cell number format set to time/"1:30PM"/Locale is English (United States)], it comes up with the date preceding the time. I have tried varying settings of time but they all come up with the date. So if I try to put in 1:00PM it would represent this as a date and leave the rest of the time as 12am. I am doing a time sheet that subtracts the hours from between two times and then adds the differences up. I want it to ...

Need macro to allow me to go out into another excel file and copy and bring data back..
Hi, I'm looking to have a macro that I've started (below) to allow me to go out to a file that is always in the same location with the same name and copy information from it and bring it back into the file I was originally in. The file from which I want to get the information from is updated automatically every 24 hours from data dumped into it from our MRP system. The macro is to be stored in my "personal.xls" file. The problem is that the original file name is always different. So how can I make the macro come back to this file that has a different name each time to pas...

Location of Temp File(s)
Does XL create temp files (as does Word)? If so, where are they created? (Word creates them in the same directory as the Document.) -- Regards; Rob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hi it does. Normally in the regular Windows temp folder -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "RWN" <NotLikely@mts.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:%23DK6lvp8EHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Does XL create temp files (as does Word)? > If so, where are they created? > (Word creates them in the same directory as the Document.) > > -- ...

Excel and clear cells....
Hi.... I have this large spreadsheet showing 52 weeks, and for each week 10 areas not adjacent to each other, all of wich I need to be cleared every year. In between areas needed to be cleared there are some hidden cells, rows and columns. Is there a way to easily clear these areas, without clearing hidden and locked areas? -- --- rgs Zadig Galbaras (nick) www.tresfjording.com You can highlight disjointed areas of cells using the Ctrl key while you click and drag. For example, click cell A1 and drag to cell B2 to highlight 4 cells. Now hold down the Ctrl key and click cell A8 and...

Importing xml Data into Excel 2002
It appears that there is a bug in Excel 2002 relating to importing xml files. If the xml file is empty for example: <?xml version="1.0"?> <SUA1500> </SUA1500> Excel 2002 will crash when trying to import this using Import Data, or New Web Query. However, if the file contains something inside these tags, like: <?xml version="1.0"?> <SUA1500> Something </SUA1500> Excel 2002 will not crash. I tried various combinations of this, and it appears that Excel crashes only if there is one empty tag. If there are other populated tags such as:...

Excel 2008 bug

How do you create a drop-down menu within a cell in Excel?
How do you create a drop-down menu within a cell in Excel? You can use data validation. There are instructions in Excel's Help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Jimmy wrote: > How do you create a drop-down menu within a cell in Excel? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Export to Excel with Expand/Collapse Feature
Hello, I work with Sqlserver 2005 and Reporting. I'm using a component Table to make a report. I use groups to collapse/expand rows. When I export to Excel the report, the expand/collapse is not export. I don't have the possibility to expand/collapse, it appears in expand version. What I need to configure? For example, if I use a component Matrix and I export to Excel, I can collapse/expand the rows in excel too. Thanks, Maria Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice ASP.NET Cookies FAQ http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/198ce25...

Excel Invoice template
Can any one suggest an invoice template for the British market? ...

Can I sort into sections on Excel 2003?
I have data that looks something like this, in two columns (each row here represents a column, to make it simipler) A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, D2, E1 A2, A4, B2, C3, C4, D1, D2 Is there a way to sort the table so that everything is grouped into alphabetical sections? Something that looks like this: A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, [space], D2, [space], E1 A2, A4, [space], [space], B2, [space], C3, C4, D1, D2, E1 I'm not sure if that is clear, but I want all the cells that begin with A to be grouped. The data in each column is not related. I just want to compare the two columns to see if things in column 1...