When I open a workbook, another one called Book1 is also opened. W

This Book1 becomes the current book. If I go to Window on the toolbar I can
switch to my correct workbook. Why is this Book1 being opened? I can cure it
by closing Book1, then saving my correct workbook, then closing that one. The
next time I open my workbook, Book1 has disappeared.

Do you mean two different sheets within the same workbook?

"Ian@MarlandLtd" wrote:

> This Book1 becomes the current book. If I go to Window on the toolbar I can
> switch to my correct workbook. Why is this Book1 being opened? I can cure it
> by closing Book1, then saving my correct workbook, then closing that one. The
> next time I open my workbook, Book1 has disappeared.
0
barry1 (69)
11/3/2005 3:46:20 PM
No, specifically another workbook named Book1.

"Barry" wrote:

> Do you mean two different sheets within the same workbook?
>
> "Ian@MarlandLtd" wrote:
>
> > This Book1 becomes the current book. If I go to Window on the toolbar I can
> > switch to my correct workbook. Why is this Book1 being opened? I can cure it
> > by closing Book1, then saving my correct workbook, then closing that one. The
> > next time I open my workbook, Book1 has disappeared.

Mark to Download messages only works on one message
Outlook 2002 - I have the option to download messages under 50kb checked. If I receive more than one message over that limit, I cannot select them all and choose to mark for download as that option is missing from the right-click context menu. I can do it on individual messages, even though the option to download says "message(s)"! Am I missing something here? ...

cannot open file 'mfc42.lib'
I converted a mfc project from vc 6.0 to vc 7.1 and am getting the following link error. fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'mfc42.lib' I don't know why it's trying to link with the old mfc libraries, what do I need to do to get it to link with the mfc71 libraries? Are you still linking with other libraries that may use MFC and have not been ported to 7.1? They would try to pull in that lib. Tom "Brian Adams" <BrianAdams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AED12865-4395-4414-96B5-DC2993F051A4@microsoft.com... > I converted a mfc projec...

How do I align numbers where one number has a dollar sign?
How do I align a column of numbers where the first number has a dollar sign? Like this, $280 60 50 Total $390 When I try to add the dollar sign, Excel "shifts" the number slightly more to the left of the other numbers, resulting in a slightly uneven alignment. Also, I'd like the dollar sign number to align w/ the total amt. What's the best way to do this? Probably Excel applies an accounting number format. Select the cell, and go to the Formatting dialog, Number tab, and select Custom. The Type box on the right says $#,##0_);[Red]($#,...

UTF-7 or UTF-8 which one?
Hi, I am changing the international options in Outlook 2003 to unicode and have two option Unicode UTF-7 and UTF-8. Would anybody know what is better or preferred, and if so why? Thanks Lisa ...

Can't open a Publisher 2K file in Publisher 2002, edit text only .
Why can't I open an existing Publisher 2000 file with Publisher 2002, then make minor text edits and re-save the file in Publisher 2000 without getting the error message, "There is a picture on page 1 that is too large to be converted to previous versions of Publisher." Publisher 2000 did not use compression... PUB2000: File Size Increases Unexpectedly When You Insert Picture http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253973 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Art Frustrated with Publisher...

Trying to split up info in one cell to several
I am working on a home PC, Excel 2003. I have a column (it is column C of A thru K, if that matters) of data that includes street address (may include suite number, etc.), city, state, zip and all info is separated by commas except state and zip. I am trying to separate the information in this column so that each part is in its own column. I need to keep all of the address (street number, street name, PO box number, suite number, etc. together) in one field, city in the next field, then state, then zip. The problem I am having when converting text to columns using the comma as the d...

cannot open excel file
I go to open an excel spreadsheet that was working perfectly fine on Friday (it is now Monday), and I get the following error message (regardless of Macro settings): "EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." I did a search of all "*.log" files on my computer, and the only one modified at the same time as the error is drwtsn32.log. Here's the entry I get from the log file: "Application exception occurred: App: (pid=624) When: 6/6/2005 @ 10:28:51.290 ...

RMS should have a search strategy for "date account opened"
EOM ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=0b38650c-32cb-40cb-8b52-e4aab95e11f9&dg=microsoft.public.pos you can do this with reports. "samax" <s...

upgraded to office pro can't open outlook
I just uninstalled office basic and loaded office xp pro. I have xp media running on my machine. I can't open outlook. every time I try I get the following: Cannot start microsoft outlook. Unable to display the selected folder or item. could not open the item. try again. That is when I try to open outlook from start menu under the explorer icon. If I go to all programs and try to start it that way, I get: Unable to open your default email folders could not open the item try again. I click ok and get: would you like to open your default file system folder instead? I click no it all goes awa...

Best to have all one's styles in "Normal Template" ?
I assume one can save styles to other than one's Normal Template. Do the experts recommend also saving any added styles to the Normal Template so that one Template contains all of one's styles? Or perhaps, if it is advisable to have one template have them all, it is best to have that repository be a template other than the Normal Template? Thanks for any advice. -- Norm Hi Norm: I recommend having different templates for the different types of documents that you create. In them, I suggest keeping the built-in styles defined for each document type. I rar...

Pivot Chart, line graph w/ multiple series
I have columns of cust, year, est sales, actual sales. Customer is put in page area, year is put on category axis. I can add est sales to data area and will have one line. But when I add the actual sales to the data area, it does not show as a line, but adds itself to the category x axis. Am I missing something? If you are adding the field directly on to the PivotChart, consider using the associated PivotTable. Is the 'actual sales' column part of the data field or one of the the row/column fields? Ensure it is a data field. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel ww...

opening older/newer files
my Publisher 2000 wil not open files from a different version, but my other versions will-is there a plug-in or patch for this-THANKS luhkeekid <luhkeekid@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > my Publisher 2000 wil not open files from a different version, but my > other versions will-is there a plug-in or patch for this-THANKS No, there is no plugin or patch. Publisher 2000 will not open files from Publisher 2002 or 2003, or Publisher 1.0. Publisher 2002 and 2003 will open files from all versions of Publisher apart from 1.0. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Micro...

Reflect cell contents into another worksheet #2
I have forgotten how to reflect data that is present in one worksheet cell into a specific cell of a second worksheet. IOW, repeat cell contents in a second worksheet. I simply do not make use of MS Excel97 often enough to remember the procedures ! Please help. Regards, ~ Vince ~ hi on sheet 2 in your specific cell put this =sheet1!A1 regards FSt1 "Vince" wrote: > > I have forgotten how to reflect data that is present in one worksheet > cell into a specific cell of a second worksheet. IOW, repeat cell > contents in a second worksheet. > > I simply do not...

Updating multiple linked workbooks
We have several workbooks which 1 gets data from other etc. is there anyway to have a one step to update all at once Not in the usual sense. Generally you can only update from one 'level' of linked workbooks unless all are open. What you can do is open all related workbooks and then use File | Save Workspace to quickly have access to all of those needed workbooks. See the Help topic on Workspace for more information. "dk" wrote: > We have several workbooks which 1 gets data from other etc. is there anyway > to have a one step to update all at once ...

Excel Opening with Review Page 1940410 of 1940411
Am using Excel 2000 and OS (x64) Vista Home Premium with 4gb RAM. More times than not when I attempt to start Excel it defaults to a page with banner containing the above heading, Ready in the top left corner and a number of 'columns/ panels' on the right side of the page. The ONLY actions that are possible are page resizing and closing. As stated, not consistent, say 4 time out of 6. Suggestions please. John ...

Can't open excel or word documents (says insert sm bus cd?)
I have been running Windows XP for over a year without a problem, but now I can not open any of my Excel or Word or Outlook documents because it says that I need to insert my small business cd. I don't have that cd. This has happened once before and I just used my system restore function and it was fine, but that won't even work this time. HELP!! ~~Angela @ angela27@iglide.net ...

how to do a repeated operations with one keystroke
I print many orders in one day and end up doing the same seven steps everytime i want to print. i choose to save the file, i choose to print it to the printer, etx. Is there some way I can record those choices and have them all done when i just press one thing?? Have you tried recording a macro, then play the macro via pull down menus or from smartlist? -- dlothspe[MSFT]@online.microsoft.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights. Do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. "please please hel...

Recipient Policies with more than one condition #2
Hi Guys, Listen i just had a server crash and i now need to resetup the Recipient policys for the various domains, I need to make a custom filter for anyone in a spefiic security group, and if possible i also would like it to contain a attribute of 1 for the distribution groups? I had is setup before for Description and and group attribute 1? but i think the first one would be better? please let me know as i can't recall the custom script???? Thanks in advance. Greg Remer Can you post what you want to do? Members of SecurityGroup1 OR Members of DistributionGroup1?? -- Bharat Sunej...

Synchronizing Two Workbooks
I'm not sure of how to word this but I will try I use Office 2000, and Excel 2000 on my Windows 2000 computer I have a Workbook (the master workbook) with several tabs (Worksheets) This Workbook is in a folder, in a folder, on a shared drive (In other words --- This folder resides within a Folder which has another folder too; i.e. one folder with two folders in it.) One of the 2 folders has the master Workbook, which can be modified by several designated people per Permissions. The other folder has a copy of the Workbook where several people may 'look at' the workbook (read only...

saving a workbook #2
I have a small problem and don't know if what I am trying to do is possible? I want to save a spreadsheet giving it a name which is entered into a cell within the sheet. I can do this manually by copying the contents of the cell and then pasting them into the file name box after selecting the 'save as' option. However, I need to simplyfy this for a non-excel literate colleague, so I want to record a macro to perform the whole process, when I record the macro and then run it, it simply reverts the cell in question back to it's original content and then tries to overwri...

How do extract cells from hundreds of excel files and put in one n
I need to extract expense totals from employee expense reports and put in to one file for import then in to the payroll system fo reimbursement. Lots of unanswered, but needed information with this question. Generally this can be done relatively easily, with a big "IF" - and that IF is whether all of the files you'd be examining (the employee expense reports) have the same format, content and layout. Get in touch with me via email through (remove spaces) Help From @ jlatham site.com and we can gather some more information and probably have a solution in your han...

Restrict login to one network user
I would have a workstation using XP professional connected to a domain. I would like to have that workstation only allow login by one specific network user and the local machine administrator As things are configured now anyone with a network ID and password could login there. I want to restrict that to one user who has specific network security set up. Can I have the workstation automatically startup to that user and only allow access to the administrator if safe mode is entered? Thanks ...

Open Transactions
I recently created an invoic and posted the transaction. Then I created a payment and posted the payment. The payment still appears as Open. When I run an aged trial balance this transaction still appears as open. I figured out part of the problem. When I made the payment I did not apply the invoice to the payment. If I try to apply the invoice to the payment GP will not allow me because I'm using a posting date of a closed period in December. "Jason" wrote: > I recently created an invoic and posted the transaction. Then I created a > payment and posted the pa...

Reply Signature does not appear if there is more than one reply
We are using Outlook and when a person sends an email and I click on reply or forward, my Signature is displayed. However, if I get an email that was originally sent to Person A and Person A sent it to Person B and then Person B sends it to me, when I click on reply or forward, the Signature will NOT show. Once the message gets sent to the second person and above and I reply there is no signature that attaches to the email. What can I do to get that changed? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. "ToferKing" <ToferKing@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Problem in opening OL2007
I have Office 2007 (Enterprise Edition) installed on a netbook, running Windows 7. Outlook was working fine until suddenly, upon trying to start OL, I get an error message saying "Cannot start MS Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window". I have tried to repair the installation (from the Control Panel, using the Repair Function in the Programs section) but the problem persists. Does anybody have a clue what could be done? I would hate to have to completely remove Office and reinstall it. An uninstall/reinstall is unlikely to cure a configeration problem Tr...