What is the limit size for columns in Excel???

Hi, I am trying to paste some information on a sheet, but I see that columns
have a limit size....Is there any "plug in" or some kind of feature to
increase the column number???
0
Melissa (140)

No.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:49:02 -0800, "Melissa"
<Melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, I am trying to paste some information on a sheet, but I see that columns
>have a limit size....Is there any "plug in" or some kind of feature to
>increase the column number???

0
anonymous (74722)
1/27/2005 6:58:01 PM
Melissa,

A sheet is limited to 256 columns.  As far as I know there is no way to get
around this limitation other than adding data to another sheet.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Melissa" wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to paste some information on a sheet, but I see that columns
> have a limit size....Is there any "plug in" or some kind of feature to
> increase the column number???
Melissa

Depend what you are trying to do.  As others have pointed out, all versions
of Excel are limited to 256 columns.

If however, you save an Excel workbook (2000 and up) as a 'web page' and
check the 'add interactivity' box, you will get a spreadsheet web component
(OWC), which will open in IE but has a grid 262144x18278 (That is to column
ZZZ).

It does not have all Excel's functionality but acts and looks similar.
(Requires users install OWC which ships with Excel 2000 up)

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Melissa" <Melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am trying to paste some information on a sheet, but I see that
> columns
> have a limit size....Is there any "plug in" or some kind of feature to
> increase the column number???

I've often seen the question about adding columns or rows, but have
never seen this response.
Wow! Learn something new every day -- well, a couple times a week.

Bill

"Nick Hodge" <nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS> wrote in message
Melissa

Depend what you are trying to do.  As others have pointed out, all
versions
of Excel are limited to 256 columns.

If however, you save an Excel workbook (2000 and up) as a 'web page' and
check the 'add interactivity' box, you will get a spreadsheet web
component
(OWC), which will open in IE but has a grid 262144x18278 (That is to
column
ZZZ).

It does not have all Excel's functionality but acts and looks similar.
(Requires users install OWC which ships with Excel 2000 up)

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS

"Melissa" <Melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am trying to paste some information on a sheet, but I see that
> columns
> have a limit size....Is there any "plug in" or some kind of feature to
> increase the column number???

0
bsharpe (111)
1/28/2005 12:52:04 AM
Very good advice Nick.  Your recommendation worked for me after I download
and installed web components.

In my attempt to work around this 256 column limitation, I also discovered
that Quattro Pro 2000(or newer) will support 18000+ columns.  However, I did
have to reformat some of the data in the process of copying from Quatto and
pasting into excel.

Thanks for the expanation Nick!

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

> Melissa
>
> Depend what you are trying to do.  As others have pointed out, all versions
> of Excel are limited to 256 columns.
>
> If however, you save an Excel workbook (2000 and up) as a 'web page' and
> check the 'add interactivity' box, you will get a spreadsheet web component
> (OWC), which will open in IE but has a grid 262144x18278 (That is to column
> ZZZ).
>
> It does not have all Excel's functionality but acts and looks similar.
> (Requires users install OWC which ships with Excel 2000 up)
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
>

> "Melissa" <Melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I am trying to paste some information on a sheet, but I see that
> > columns
> > have a limit size....Is there any "plug in" or some kind of feature to
> > increase the column number???

0
Finkle (1)

Duplicate entries in excel spreadsheet
I have lists of attendees to an annual event. I've taken the lists and combined them, and sorted them by first and last name alpha. I want to keep the names and corresponding collumns for those that attended my event more than once and dump the rest. Is there a way to sort them quickly as i have over 15,000 names. Cheers! I'd insert two new columns before the list, say A and B. In the first data row in B, say B2, I'd enter a formula that combines the first and last names to create a field the uniquely identifies each record: =C2&D2 and copy it down to all records. N...

Excel file size reduction
Can anyone tell me, how can a file size be reduced. For one possible problem (and solution) see http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <fb5801c3f1c5$04b46b50$a601280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Can anyone tell me, how can a file size be reduced. > > "Stacie Pierson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<fb5801c3f1c5$04b46b50$a601280...

What is the cell data reference for 5th row and 7th column called
Can someone help me with this question? I need to get the answer for my homework. Thanks for your help. I'm guessing, but might it be G5? -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Shy-di@verizon.net" <Shy-di@verizon.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0979494-228B-435E-98F7-6BD26C900266@microsoft.com... > Can someone help me with this question? I nee...

Supplemental info to "HELP-excel date malfunction
Here's some additional info to the earlier post on the date cell function malfunction. Been isolated to the function to insert the date (cell format/date). It seems the application cannot interpret the system date properly. Always inserts/interprets the date as CurrentMonth-01-2011, instead of actual date. I cannot use the application this way. I am using the 'general' setting in cell format, then entering the string Month(abr)-day [eg= dec-17] instead of letting application enter the date automatically. Is there a patch available for this issue? -- Visit Family Rad...

Urgent Help Required on Excel Macro Problem
Hi there, We are facing one problem from around 2 months.Some of our users have XF_SIC.A virus found in their pc.XF_SIC.A virus generally found in excel workbook as macro virus.This virus create one excel 4.0 macro sheet with "very hidden and very protected" attributes in excel 97 workbooks which can't be removed as it is not seen.every time when infected excel 97 file opens it infect the default startup excel file(Book1 placed in XLSTART folder) and then every excel file that will be open will have infection as default file book1 infected.now our antivirus software mcafe...

EXCEL 97
Hi there! Ive created a linked spreadsheet in 2003 and am unable to open in 97. The error msg i get is "unable to open - insufficient memory". Any clues how i can get around this little dilema??? Thanks in advance! ...

Excel question ?
Hi, can anyone help me out with this .... I have excel 2003 table and sheet inside of it have some formulas. I would like to paste text data from notepad to that sheet without of erasing any of the containing formulas which are like I said already there. Thanx Hi Steve You could create a textbox from the ">View >Toolbars > Drawing menu, then paste your information in it. The textbox can be size and position any place on your sheet. HTH John "Steve" <steveaa@dzemail.com> wrote in message news:id0ci1$mh2$1@localhost.localdomain... > Hi, can anyone help me o...

Counting specific test in a column in another worksheet that fall between entered dates
Hi, I'm trying to count the amount of times a txt string appears associated with a date on a different worksheet between two separately entered dates on the sheet were the calculation is being performed. Im using this formula but it only returns the 'value if false' even-though the logical test result is true i.e Derbyshire has been entered into the sheet on the 09/09/09 : =IF(('Tests 1'!$D:$D="Derbyshire"),(COUNTIF('Tests 1'!A:A,">="&$N$22)-COUNTIF('Tests 1'!A:A,">"&$O$22)),"") Thanks for any in...

copy value in cell above to cell below for a whole column
I have a spreadsheet that was saved from a report. this report only lists the employee name once. There is a way to copy the value of the cell above to the cell below. I can get as far as highlighting the blank cells with the Go To function, then I can not remember the steps to tell excel to copy the data into the blank cells. Can anyone help? Ctrl+D will copydown the value of the top cell to the highlighted cells below. "tarthur" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet that was saved from a report. this report only lists > the employee name once. There is a way to copy th...

'Save As' hangs Excel XP 2002 SP3
I have a problem in our office. For the most part Excel works fine. We can open files and save them as long as we dont use the 'Save As' feature and try to save it to a Network Drive. Files can be saved locally then have to be copied to the Network Share. Of course my first reaction was 'Permissions Issue'. BUt each user has full access to the folder. They can right click and create a new Excel file and rename it. BUt if they open that same file then try to 'Save As' back to the same folder Excel hangs. Using the 'Save' feature works just fine. ...

Excel Frequently Used Worksheets
I am looking for a funtion in Excel similar to the MS- Word menu option "WORK". In Word, this feature keeps a separate list of frequestly used documents that could be used a default docs such as a monthly report, letter(s), project headings/sections, etc. This list is separate from the standard 1-9 last opened documents. In Excel I see this feature as a great way to keep a similar set of spreadsheets that one must access frequently, but in the recently used list (1-9), could get rolled off. I looked through all the commands in Excel and could not find it at all. As far a...

convert text to predefined number in single column
Hi all, Greeting to all of you out there! I am a newbie to this forum and now I have a question here. I have a worksheet which contains thousands of records. Within a particular column (column "N") there are single character in the cells throughout the records (eg. "M", "S"). My question is how can I convert from "M" to "1" and "S" to "2" using formula? Kindly advise. Thanks and best regards. Eric --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Use a help column, =LOOKUP(N1,{"M","S"},{1,2}...

Converting excel files to doc files
Is it possible to convert an excel file over to doc format? Alvin, You can open an Excel file with Word, then save it. Word saves as doc files (if that's what you mean). Be sure to type the doc extension, or Word will overwrite your original xls file. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Alvin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c2501c4316d$5e715b20$3a01280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to convert an excel file over to doc format? Dear Earl, Not good... My excel file...

Office Tabs -
One chinese guy developed one application that creates TABs in Excel Word and PowerPoint: OfficeTabs. http://www.officedocumenttab.com/ Everione is using -> Microsoft should take a look. I think its not so hard to have something in the Office Pack. It would be very useful for everyone. thanks ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestio...

Excel combinations from groups
I have the following problem with excel. I have a varied amount of groups of names and each group contains a different amount of names. I need excel to list all the possible combinations from each group. The combination size also varies. EG Group 1 Group 2 Group 3 Dave Fred Janet Harry Bob Selina Jim jane Jo The group sizes vary and the amount of group vary. I need excel to make various combinations eg In a "2" combination Dave can go with Fred or Janet. Fr...

excel help 04-09-10
I have a table (range a5:s33) that is changing constantly and its being updated. I need cell I1 and I2 to give me the date (I1) and time (I2) when any of the cells within the range are modified....any help?...thanks Try the following Sheets Event-Macro: ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Not Application.Intersect(Target, [A5:S33]) Is Nothing Then [I1] = Date [I2] = Time End If End Sub --------------- Micky "jcheko" wrote: > I have a table (ran...

newbie to SQL trying to do a report in Excel
I have a SQL query I want to write to pull data to add weely node utilization percentages. The db is area--->headend--->router--->routerports--->transmitter--->nodes--->nodeNames also node--->utilization (utilization:nodeID, %, date) (nodes(nodeID:transmitterID, date created parentnodename) (NOdeNames:nodenamesID,NodeID) in my excel report I want to add a new column showing the node data for each week. Can I get the percentages from SQL into a text file then import into Excel showin...

Exclusion dictionary for excel 2003
Hi all, is there any way of having an exclusion dictionary for excel 2003? Thanks, Try this http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/ExcludeWordFromDic.htm Raul Queiroga wrote: > Hi all, > is there any way of having an exclusion dictionary for excel 2003? > > Thanks, ...

Sorting a column in a spreadsheet
What is the best way to sort a spreadsheet? My boss wanted filters set up, so I set up an autofilter for all columns. She also wanted to sort by one column, so I recorded a macro that sorted the column in ascending order and another macro to sort it into descending order. I thought there might be a better way to do it. Also, can I assign the macro to a button instead of a shortcut key? Thanks for the help!! Ken -- akkrug If you've setup your autofilters correctly, you can simply use the sorting capability listed within the filter. But yes, you could create a ...

excel-vb interface
hi! just want help on how i can integrate vb with excel, i want to use vb to create a macro that when clicked, a sheet of some sort pops up, the user inputs data into this screen, then the data is then transferred. and accumulated on excel... excel will be my database dump.... i would also like to learn how to use the "tabs" activeX control in vb... how can i put values into them? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi, A simple solution would...

Excel data completely disappeared
Please can someone help me with a problem I am having. I created a spreadsheet with Excel and included a 'comments' column designed to appear with a mouseover. I saved the spreadsheet and tested it out, everything ok ... until I went to view it the next day and every single comment has disappeared !! Even the red triangles have completely disappeared ... this is really weird. Can anyone throw any light on this ? TIA, cool4cats -- cool4cats ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cool4cats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?actio...

Excel 2003 - VBA
Hi Guys: I'm drawing a blank and need some help. I have a table with row 3 containing sheet names (currently pointing at 106 sheets). In rows 4-250 I want to put formulas that will look for something (located in Column B) in each of the sheets named in row 3. The first cell in the target sheet contains the last row with valid data. Example: Cell "D3" = P02-05 Cell "B5" = 123456789IBM In cell "D5" I want to generate a formula that will look in sheet P02-05, search for the contents of "B5" throughout the sheet and return the Value in colum...

Excel Cell Formatting #3
How do I centeer a picture in an Excel cell? Hi you can't as such objects 'float' above the cells in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Tom Coffey" <Tom Coffey@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8E7356E1-4318-42F3-B9C6-3D7EDFBBEEA1@microsoft.com... > How do I centeer a picture in an Excel cell? ...

Open File Dialog
In a database I use an Open File Dialog to open multiple files using an Array and then I use the Array to populate a list and process it. This works great, until I select over 7 files, at which point the array remains empty without the error handler triggering. Is there a logical reason and/or solution for this? Further research indicates that when the number exceeds 7 the following line starts giving a False instead of a True: aht_apiGetOpenFileName(OFN) ...

Excel budget (GP's V7.5)
When trying to import get error "Please enter an existing Excel file". Of course I am. Excel based budgeting has been initialized using sa. Any thoughts? Thanks ...