what is the format for an input cell?

I have Office - Student and Teacher Edition 2003

I am having trouble making a table ...

I try to make a Data Table and try to
define $E$3:$G$16  as the range in the row input cell area so I can make
this a one-input data table

  and then I enter C$9$ for the column cell input area

a pop up pops up saying  that the input (row) cell reference is invalid

I hope this not a bug that can only be fixed if you have the full version of
the software

any clues?

0
Pumaman (1)

it should be $C$9

Pumaman <Pumaman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Office - Student and Teacher Edition 2003
>
> I am having trouble making a table ...
>
> I try to make a Data Table and try to
> define $E$3:$G$16  as the range in the row input cell area so I can make
> this a one-input data table
>
>   and then I enter C$9$ for the column cell input area
>

> a pop up pops up saying  that the input (row) cell reference is invalid
>
> I hope this not a bug that can only be fixed if you have the full version
of
> the software
>
> any clues?

Perhaps this recent post might help in getting
the hang of setting up a one variable data table:

http://tinyurl.com/562dj

--
Rgds
Max

"Pumaman" wrote:

> I have Office - Student and Teacher Edition 2003
>
> I am having trouble making a table ...
>
> I try to make a Data Table and try to
> define $E$3:$G$16  as the range in the row input cell area so I can make
> this a one-input data table
>
>   and then I enter C$9$ for the column cell input area
>

> a pop up pops up saying  that the input (row) cell reference is invalid
>
> I hope this not a bug that can only be fixed if you have the full version of
> the software
>
> any clues?

0
demechanik (4694)

seperate text and number in the same cell
Hi, i have the following data : cell a2 : aa22 cell a3 : aab80 cell a4 : acd99 how can i but just the letters in cell b2 and the number in cell c2 such as b2 = aa c2=22 thank you all --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Jed, Don't know if you always have exactly 2 digits like your example, but you can get a formula to separate them at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm#pcdigits is a solution posted by Tom Ogilvy which will split of digits from the right not limited to 2 digits.. If you need to get real fancy Harlan Grove posted some example E...

Format cell will not appear
Hello, I have a budget spreadsheet in E2k that I need to update. I can change al the numbers and formlas but if I select Format Cells the dialog box will not appear. I cannot find a single cell anyware in that workbook that works. The budget sheet has some grey area to the righ. I tweaked it last year and I can't remember what I did. Please help Tim Tim, Maybe the sheet is protected. Tools, Protection. If you see Unprotect sheet" it was. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Tim Marciniak" <t...

Calculating specifc byte positions in cells
Hi, Here is what I am trying to do: I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of employees vacation and sick time. The spreadsheet is formatted to column A is the employee name, columns B - AB are days of the month. I would like to have the manager be able to enter in the time off as either S8 or V8 (8 representing the number of hours off the employee had S = sick V = vacation). I would like Column AC to then calcuate the total sick hours and AD to calcuate the total of vacation hours. I played around with a few formulas but could not figure out a way to do it. Is there a way to have this d...

Clear content cells with external link
I have a workbook with a lot of external links. What I'd like to do is to create a simple VBA code to find cells with external link, and then clear content them. Does anyone know how to do this ? Thanks Hey Diego, You have 5 posts to 2 different NG's asking this same question. Have some patience and please do not double, or quintuple, post. tim "diego" <porno_abis@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:06c201c3561c$7e0adce0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > > I have a workbook with a lot of external links. What I'd > like to do is to create a simple VBA code to fi...

Highlight the cell/row if particular name comes..
Hi, This is what I would like to achieve, There will be sheet full of address details and in that I want to highlight the cells with some colour if the particular list(i.e.list of 10 particular area names like Area1,Area2....Area10) of area names present along with the door # and Street name. The challenge is that the area names will be mixed with street name ect., in the same cell. I can guess that this is possible with macro but my knowledge in that is ZERO.. Pls help on this... Can you give us some examples of what your data looks like, and details of what columns you...

Plot empty cells as not plotted (leave gaps)
Under Tools/Options/Chart Menu I have set the "Plot empty cells as: Not plotted (leave gaps)as well as Plot visible cells only, however the chart still plots null values causing the automatic scaling to be impractical If you're using a formula that returns an empty string for missing values, change it to an NA()function. For example: instead of =IF(B9="","",B9) use =IF(B9="",NA(),B9) To hide the resulting #N/A errors on the worksheet, you can use conditional formatting. There are instructions on my web site: http://www.contextures.c...

Highlighted cell
I have a highlighted cell that gets bigger and smaller as I move the mouse and I can't get rid of it. It has the flashing edges like I copied it. What's going on? Thank you! Sounds like you're accidentally in extended mode (but there's no flashing edges) Hit F8 to toggle it off -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:20,000 Files:362 Subscribers:62 xdemechanik --- "Reen" wrote: > I have a highlighted cell that gets bigger and smaller as I move the mouse > and I can't get rid of it. It has the flashing edges like I copied it...

How do I perfom a character count in a single cell in Excel?
I need to peform a character count for certain cells in Excel. I found a formula for counting words within a cell but not the number of specific characters. If you count spaces as a character, you can use directly the function LEN. If you don't want the spaces to count, use something like: =LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")) Hope this helps, Miguel. "RonNette72791" wrote: > I need to peform a character count for certain cells in Excel. I found a > formula for counting words within a cell but not the number of specific > characters. ...

Conditional formatting date
Xl 2000 user. We have a vacation template with the day of the month listed as (1,2,3,etc) starting in A6. The months are column headings starting in row 4 and are date formats listed as 12/1/03,1/1/04, etc. I set up conditional formats to change the patterns for weekend days. Those are : =WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(AK$4),MONTH(AK$4),$A36))=1 =WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(AK$4),MONTH(AK$4),$A36))=7 I tried to set up a third condition that will gray the incorrect days (i.e. November 31st) =MONTH(DATE(YEAR(AK$4),MONTH(AK$4),$A36))>MONTH(AK$4) This works for November, but does not work for any month with ...

EMPTY CELLS!!! Validation Rule!!!
How do I set up a cell to be 0.0 (zero) if there is no data available??? I know is on the Validation Rule, but I don't know the formula. I can't add the values of other cells becasue there are a few empty ones. PLEASEEE HELP!! Thanks It sounds as if setting the Default Value to 0 will accomplish what you need. For existing records you will need to do something such as run an update query to replace null with 0. You may be able to use the control's Exit event to add the value, depending on just what you need to do. I don't think you can use table-level validation to add...

Finding Cell with Minor loss of fidelity
I have a Excel Spreadsheet that was created in Excel 2003, but updated with Excel 2007. Whenever I save it, it runs the Compatibility Checker, and comes back with a 'Minor loss of fidelity' message. I would like to find the cell(s) that thie issue talking about. Is there a way to find which cell(s) have the issue, so I can fix them? -- Doug Krohn Hi, when saving the spreadsheet Save it as xlsm "Doug Krohn" wrote: > I have a Excel Spreadsheet that was created in Excel 2003, but updated with > Excel 2007. > Whenever I save it, it runs the Compati...

Cell Drag & Drop without Incrementing
Hi, Simple question really. Is it possibe to drag a cell without it incrementing automatically. Eg if cell a1 contains TR321 I want to be able to drag it down to fill cells a2:a10 without any change, ie A10 is also TR321. Cheers, thanks for your help. Paul Hi Paul use an absolute reference. change the cell reference TR321 to $T$321 also have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/relative.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Paul wrote: > Hi, > > Simple question really. Is it possibe to drag a cell > without it incrementing automatically. Eg if cell a1 > co...

Calling on cells with red fonts
Can someone please guide me how to show only those cells in red fonts i column. I just want to see the red fonts not those in black fo calculation. Thanks a lot. 74 89 25 93 21 32 2 -- celesta ----------------------------------------------------------------------- celestar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3626 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56777 Chip Pearson shows how to work with font colors here: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm celestar wrote: > > Can someone please guide me how to show...

Shade half a Cell
Hi Is it possible to shade half of a Cell? I have merged to cells togethe and now i am wanting to shade half of the Cell, BUT, i am wanting, i possible, to shade the Cell on an angel (for example - shade from top left to bottom right and have half gre and half white) Is this possibl -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi sparky........... You can't shade half a cell any way with the normal background coloration technique. You can however, for special cases, create a drawing object of the shape you want and color it and place it in a cell..........it would look similar....

Questions on format of Select statement
SELECT tblCalls.ColTime, tblCalls.colProblem, tblCalls.colResolution from tblCalls, in dbCallLogs WHERE tblCalls.colResolution from tblCalls, in dbCallLogs where tblCalls.ColTime >= #12/1/2006# <= #3/2/2007# ORDER BY tblCalls.ColTime DESC; I want to know if this is right? I notice in some queries the table name before the column name is missing? Also when do you have to put in the database name? Is it the same in Access as SQL Server? I want the most recent first. I want those records betweeb 12.1.06 and 3.01.07. thanks, On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:30:07 -0700, Janis <Janis...

How to retrieve old email after formatting pc
since windows vista infected virus that crash the windows system, i format my laptop and use windows 7. But i forget to backup my ms outlook 2007 email. Can anyone expert in here give an idea or any software that can retrieve back all my email, because it really important email its related with my work. for your info i use company email that out souce to webmail provider. Thank You. Do you have an older backup? Were copies of the mail stored on the server? Recovering it after a reformat is very tricky (and expensive) business and there's no guarantee it'll even work. ...

Strange character on sheet prevents correct formatting
I have a spreadsheet in 2000, that has the ` character, right in front of all the text in every cell. I know this is a non-showing character. When I try to change my date format from xx/xx/xx to xx/xx/xxxx this character prevents this from happening. If I delete this either in the cell itself or the formula bar the format will then change My problem is I have another spreadsheet that has this about 500 times and so far I have only been able to do it manually. Can anyone tell me how to remove this on the entire sheet? The only thing I haven't tried is the "clean" command...

How do you do a strike out in an Excel cell?
How do you do a strike out in an Excel cell? Format | Cells... | Font | Effects = strikethrough Regards Trevor "dgalati" <dgalati@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4364AE43-F016-45B3-A6ED-160A405B3291@microsoft.com... > How do you do a strike out in an Excel cell? ...

Filter rows containing cells with values within a range (for example <11 or >10 but <21)
Column B consists of Brand names (each brand has numerous products) Column C consists of Product names (over 500 products) Coumns D to CG (row 1) consist of months going back a few years. The data from D2:CG539 consists of the rank of each brand for each month. I would like to filter my rows so that I can view only the products that have ever ranked in the top 10. I already have a couple of formulas that allow me to filter my data. Example 1: If I want to know the highest rank ever achieved by a product I use this formula: =MIN(D2:CG2) and then drag it down. Now I can use autofilter and see w...

Add comma after last " in a cell
Ultimately, I want to do a text to columns method but 1st I need to make the data work properly. I have close to 9000 items of vary degrees of numbers and text. I want a formula that will insert a comma after the last " or ' in a cell, reading from left. 3/4" x 1/2" pvc pipe 1/2" x 1/2" x 6' black pipe 1' insulated filter This way when i do the text to columns, i can separate the by commas. The purpose is to separate the sizes and the descriptions. Put these two macros in a standard code module, select the cells you want to process the...

Formatting Worksheet Rows
Is it possible to format every other row to be shaded - then when adding a row in the middle of the document it would reset the all rows following to reset to every other row being white and every other row shaded > Is it possible to format every other row to be shaded - > then when adding a row in the middle of the document it > would reset the all rows following to reset to every other > row being white and every other row shaded If I understand the requirement correctly, one way would be to use Format >> Conditional formatting with the formula condition =MOD(...

Determining How An Existing Cell Is Formatted ?
ello, Is it possible to see how a particular is formatted for ? I did a little experimenting, and it seems that if I put in text, or numbers, and go to Format Cell, it "seems" to indicate the Format is General, for both. Is there some command that would return an inquiry to a text cell as it truly being "Text" ? And, I understand that text when entered shows up to the left of the cell, numbers to the right. If I change the left-right position with the Alignment buttons, does this change the actual Format of the cell ? Thanks, Bob See help on Information Function...

Substracting numbers in non contigous cells
Hi! I need a formula to substract numbers in non contigous cells THAT ARE IN ONE COLUMN and have the result in other cell, for example: ..=2E.....................A...................B R1..................................BLANKCELL R2..................................BLANKCELL R3..................................15 R4..................................BLANKCELL R5..................................BLANKCELL R6..................60.............75 R8..................................BLANKCELL R9..................................BLANKCELL R10................................BLANKCELL R11...............

Clear Cell Format
Some time ago, from a post by JE McGimpsey, I learned the following macro, which will toggle the substitution of "." with ":" However it left the cell in Time Format after its initial entry. How do I clear the Time Format, when decimal point is back to normal state. Please, Public Sub ToggleDotTime() Dim strmsg As String strmsg = "Decimal Point is NORMAL" With Application.AutoCorrect On Error Resume Next .DeleteReplacement (".") If Err Then .AddReplacement ".", &...

How do I merge many identically formatted worksheets into one?
Hi Doug Try http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy2.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB009851-D8E0-4196-A24A-BCE95A76A0C6@microsoft.com... > ...