What is the column width associated with cell borders?

It appears that there is a 1/2 pt border between columns.
Is that correct?

If I merge 3 standard 8.43 pt width cells (A1:C1) and wrap
text, the text wrap appears to be the same as if it were
one cell with a column width 26.29 instead of 25.29.

If I go to Format>Cells>Border the line style is
represented visually, but in Word the default line style
for a table border is 1/2 pt.

Also, is I use a cell border that is thicker than default,
does that reduce the space available in the cell or
increase the spacing between cells?

Thanks for your help,
Bob

Bob -

The number format you use could have an effect, if there are space holders
in the format preceding or following the text.

Can't help with your other questions, but will jump on the soap box to urge
you NOT TO MERGE CELLS.  Adjusting column widths and selecting ranges when
merged cells are present becomes a nightmare.  Use the Format Cells |
Alignment | Center Across Selection whenever possible instead of merging.

"Bob Tarburton" wrote:

> It appears that there is a 1/2 pt border between columns.
> Is that correct?
>
> If I merge 3 standard 8.43 pt width cells (A1:C1) and wrap
> text, the text wrap appears to be the same as if it were
> one cell with a column width 26.29 instead of 25.29.
>
> If I go to Format>Cells>Border the line style is
> represented visually, but in Word the default line style
> for a table border is 1/2 pt.
>
> Also, is I use a cell border that is thicker than default,
> does that reduce the space available in the cell or
> increase the spacing between cells?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Bob

0
DukeCarey (494)
4/1/2005 5:49:01 PM
Here's the question:
Why are two cells of say 10 pt column width, when merged,
wider than one cell of 20 pt width?
Or more to the point, I don't need to know why, I need to
know exactly how much wider.
Looks like close to 0.75 pt between cells with default
formatting, but I'd like to hear that from someone who
knows

Before anyone else urges me not to merge cells (and I
understand why many of you do this), please read the book
below

Yes I've noticed that soap box in these news groups.

Clarification: 1. I'm running reports for individual
customer service/satisfaction surveys into acrobat files.
I am running calculations on the merged cells or on ranges
containing the merged cells. 2. The merged cells only
contain text. 3. Any text that might be more than one line
MUST be formatted Wrap text and Justify. 4. I CANNOT use
one column for the report.

Finally, I can run 1000s of these overnight on one machine
if necessary, and I find that using Excel keystroke
playback recorder does the job almost perfectly (with or
without VBA macros), while Word mail merge always requires
at least minimum amount of editing before printing to
Acrobat.

All that said (exhale), the only problem left is perfect
row heights on the wrapped/justified comments in the
merged cells. All I need to know for a perfect solution is:

Why are two cell of say 10 pt column width, when merged,
wider than one cell of 20 pt width?
Or more to the point, I don't need to know why I need to
know exactly how much wider.

This must be in the programming for Excel, so I was hoping
somebody knows the answer.

BTW, I said it looked .5 pt between cells, but upon
further review it looks more like .75 pt between 2 cells.

I am NOT running calculations on the merged cells or on
ranges containing the merged cells. 2. The merged cells
only contain text. 3. Any text that might be more than one
line MUST be formatted Wrap text and Justify. 4. I CANNOT
use only one column for the report.

Finally, I can run 1000s of these overnight on one machine
if necessary, and I find that using Excel keystroke
playback recorder does the job almost perfectly (with or
without VBA macros), while Word mail merge always requires
at least minimum amount of editing before printing to
Acrobat.

All that said (exhale), the only problem left is perfect
row heights on the wrapped/justified comments in the
merged cells. All I need to know for a perfect solution is:

Why are two cell of say 10 pt column width, when merged,
wider than one cell of 20 pt width?
Or more to the point, I don't need to know why I need to
know exactly how much wider.

This must be in the programming for Excel, so I was hoping
somebody knows the answer.

BTW, I said it looked .5 pt between cells, but upon
further review it looks more like .75 pt between 2 cells.

..

Calculations using empty cells
I have a spreadsheet with three columns: Current balance, withdrawals, and deposits. Current balance is determined by subtracting withdrawals and adding deposits to the balance in the line above. Suddenly I have started getting a cell entry #VALUE! in the current balance cell. A typical entry in the cell is for G43 would be: =G42-E43+F43 and the sudden new result is #VALUE. All three columns have cells formatted as numbers. HELP! On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:22:02 -0600, Hank in KC wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with three columns: Current balance, withdrawals, and > deposit...

Cell Values Not There ???
I'm using VBA code in Excel 2007. I am having a strange problem. The cells have content. Some of them, but not all of them, are selected from Data Validation lists (drawn from a named range). However, when I try to access their values in VBA, it says they are empty!'' For example, the simple code: Debug.Print "Cell value is: " & ActiveSheet.Cells(2, 7).Value results in the output: Cell value is: I even tried the following code, to make sure it was not a problem with the ActiveSheet reference: ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Form").Cells(2, 7)....

Help getting SheetName into a cell
I need to refer to the sheet name in a formula and can't figure out how to do it. I can't find a Function which will do this. I did discover ActiveSheet.Name but I have been unsuccessful in getting it work in a function. Specifically I have sheets named "1.a" , "1.b" , "1.c" . . . "99.a" , "99.b" , "99.c" and need to get these names into cell C3 of each sheet. The sheets may not be in order and there may be missing sheets. Thanks in advance for any help. Omar Hi You could put somthing like this in a macro or attatch ...

conditional formatting of row based on cell
I want to apply conditional formatting to a whole row based on the contents of one cell in that row. For example, if cell L2 contains the word 'sport', i want the whole of row 2 to be shaded. I'm guessing this is pretty simple, but seem to be having a bit of a mental blockage. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :) formula is =$l$2="sport" "Katherine" <katherine@katherine.com> wrote in message news:107b01c372ef$4ec59e30$a101280a@phx.gbl... > > I want to apply conditional formatting to a whole row > based on the contents of one...

Re: Is there a way to HIDE a row based on a value of a cell ?
Hi Reddance, Try instead: Sub Tester() Dim rng As Range Dim i As Long If LCase(Sheets("Ctrl").Range("A1").Value) _ <> "yes" Then Exit Sub End If With Sheets("ToPrint") For i = 5 To .UsedRange.Rows.Count Step 2 If Not rng Is Nothing Then Set rng = Union(rng, .Cells(i, "A")) Else Set rng = .Cells(i, "A") End If Next i End With If Not rng Is Nothing Then rng.EntireRow.Hidden = True End If ...

MATCHING COLUMNS
I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT MATCHING COLUMNS IN EXCEL. FOR INSTANCE I HAVE TWO COLUMNS ONE IN A AND ONE IN B WITH ALL DIFFERENT VALUES. HOW DO I MATCH COLUMN A WITH COLUMN B? AN EXAMPLE IS BELOW A B 000824108498310 000824108378310 000825252525151 000824108378310 002020204582810 000824108448310 020202222225550 000824108460310 None of your values matches any value from other column! Regards, -- AP PS: ALL CAPS means yelling: please avoid! <HOOSICK@NYCAP.RR.COM> a...

Last Cell
To All I was wondering if you could help me with my problem. If you have data in your worksheet and you say delete all the data in the last row, when you say F5 (Goto) "Special" and select "Last Cell" then it will always go to the data row that you have just deleted. There seems no way to get the "Last Cell" to update to where the last data is. Does anyone know to resolve this issue please. Thanks in advance. Deleting the data won't impact the "Last Cell". The "Last Cell" doesn't refer to the current data. It refers to the la...

Extend text to next cell
I am trying to get my text to run over to the next cell only in display not actual value of that cell. So if A1 says, "How now brown cow.", it should show over cells A2 and A3. However, I also need the carriage returns to be picked up. If I use the "Wrap Text" property it only shows the sentence in that cell. If I don't use it I get the [] (brackets) in place of the carriage return. Maybe you could merge those cells (A1:A3 or did you really mean A1:C1?) But be aware that merging cells causes trouble with sorting, pasting, and lots of other stuff. Format|cells|al...

pivot table grand totals not showing for all columns...
i have a pivot table that shows the grand total for some columns, but not for others... there are no differences in the data layout, yet this happens? any clues as to why? and how I can get the grand totals to show for all fields. thanx in the PivotTable floating toolbar, click PviotTable, then Table Options, select 'Grand totals for columns' option. ...

Creating a list of info in A1 cell in multiple worksheets
How can I create a list of the info/contents in the A1 cell in multiple worksheets? I am trying to create a summary worksheet of the data from 90 worksheets and would like to be able to list the headers in the A1 cell vertically. 'Right click on the summary sheet tab, and paste in this macro. 'Edit where appropriate: Sub CreateSummary() 'Starting row for summary: i = 1 For Each Sheet In ThisWorkbook.Sheets If Sheet.Name <> Me.Name Then 'Control What column to place data in Me.Cells(i, "A").Value = Sheet.Range("A1").Value i = i + 1...

Lock only borders
I want to create an exceel worksheet where the borders are protected from copy/paste and drag/drop but the users can still type in data. Thanks By default all cells on a sheet are locked when sheet is protected. For Excel 2002 and newer versions....................... Select the cells to type in.......presumably these cells have borders. Format>Cells>Protection. Uncheck the "Locked" option. Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet>Allow users to: Checkmark "select unlocked cells". All other checkboxes remain cleared. OK your way out. Gord Dibben MS Excel...

Data from non-adjacent cells as input for Linest
Hi, I would like to use data as input for Linest that is in the following cells: known y: A1 to A3, A10 to A12 known x: B1 to B3, B10 to B12 I have the feeling that this is almost answered in the following posts, but I do not understand it: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/fe4463f591797f44/4061a15313417929?lnk=gst&q=linest+#4061a15313417929 Regards, David ...

delay in displaying cell contents
Is there a simple function that can delay the display of the contents of a cell by a few seconds. I know that it can be done as VBA code but I dont know how to do it. Thanks in advance for any help. Dave Hi have a look at the Wait method in the VBA help -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Dave" <dave-rawlins@beeb.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:9995bde6.0410151425.1688ff24@posting.google.com... > Is there a simple function that can delay the display of the contents > of a cell by a few seconds. I know that it can be done as VBA code > but I dont know how...

Report width will not shrink
I have a report that was originally designed as legal size, but by eliminating a few columns is now landscape letter size. However I am unable to shrink the width from 12" to 9" - there seems to be something invisible to me in one of the headers, footers or detail sections. I have tried everything to try to select whatever it is that is 12" wide but am unable to find it. I have tried CTRL A for select all, tried highlighting from the top or the side, etc but nothing shows up. It has to be a line or something, but when I preview the report the second page is blank. I ...

How do I arrange entries in a column alphabetically
I have typed a list of entries in a column in Excel 2003 and now I want to list them alphabetically. Any ideas how I do this? Select the column, go to Data > Sort, and sort ascending. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have typed a list of entries in a column in Excel 2003 and now I want to >list them alphabetically. Any ideas how I do this? >. > ...

grouping cells to sort by only one column
Hi, New to this so please bear with me. I have a spread sheet where I am listing names in column A and othe info relating to that name in columns B and C in the two rows below th name. I then start a different name in the next row down with the info in t two rows below that, and so forth. I want to be able to add more names in the future and be able to sor all of this by column A only. The problem I am having is the info i the other columns moves. I need it to somehow attatch and stay put wit it's corisponding name without moving. In other words how do I make everything from A1 to ...

Excel's column width format box
Does anyone know why I am unable to enter a number into Excel's column width box, yet using the mouse, I am able to adjust the width. When opening the text box, I can delete the number that appears, but am unable to even reenter that one after it is deleted. I must tell you that I'm a new user who's working through numerous tutorials. Thanks, Hi do you get an error message or what happens exactly -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany rly2rys wrote: > Does anyone know why I am unable to enter a number into Excel's > column width box, yet using the mouse, I am ...

How do I link many cells to one particular cell? #2
I am trying to link multiple cells to one particular cell and can't seem to do it. I want the multiple cells not just to have the same information but be connected to the same cell. I want multiple cells to take the information from ex. cell D4. So everytime i change cell D4 every cell that is linked to it changes. Do I have to input =D4 into every single cell that I want to link or is there an easy way to mass link? enter =$D$4 in one cell and copy it to the rest. The $ keeps the address from changing relatively. Are the cells on the same worksheet? If yes, you could select...

How to reduce thickness/width of window borders two "normal" 2 pixels?
On a certain WinXP all borders of all windows are very, very thick/width. Have a look at the following snapshot: http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9364/capture20091215121445.png What is the reason resp. how can I reduce it to the "normal" size of (approx. 2 pixels) ? Camille Camille Petersen wrote: > On a certain WinXP all borders of all windows are very, very thick/width. > > Have a look at the following snapshot: > > http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9364/capture20091215121445.png > > What is the reason resp. how can I reduce it to the &...

Unlocking Cells
Hi, I'd like to know if there's a simple way to unlock or lock cells. I'm not sure if "Lock" is the correct term here. For example, if you have a formula that has C$14. Is there an easy way to unlock (remove the "$") from the formula or to ad it without manually doing it? Thanks for your help! Lisa You can use a macro to change the reference style (absolute vs relative), but you can also do it manually. Select the portion of the formula (just a single cell reference or the entire formula if you want) and hit the F4 key to cycle through all 4 options. lj ...

How to fill cell with two combobox values?
I am looking for VB code for command button that fills two combo box values and a toggle value (Y/N) behind each other in one cell. Bart Excel 2003 ...

How do I restore the cell content window on my toobar?
tools options view ........formula bar -- Greetings from New Zealand Bill K "hutchc" <hutchc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A53F690-97D4-43D6-A458-6AA82B95F575@microsoft.com... > From the View menu, choose Formula Bar hutchc wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Report Columns
I am trying to add columns to my report but am having some difficulty. The report is basically a form letter. It is grouped on the employee’s unique ID. In that group header is the letter, Dear so and so etc. It is the details portion that I am trying to get into two columns. Is there something I am missing on how to do this. I would rather no put a sub report in to accomplish this. Thank you Jason, Well, the subform would be an easy way to go about that. However, I would think you could use the ID group header to display the first part of the letter, the detail section to disp...

How to quote cells when "IF" word is involved
On Sheet1, I have a data set (C1:C100) based on the input of cell A1. When A1 has various method choices,say,"method 1","method 2","method 3", each cell in the data set will have a new value accordingly. (=IF(A1="method 1",formula1,IF(A1="method 2",formula2,formula3)) I want to quote those three data sets on Sheet2. A lousy way is I could just duplicate Sheet1, set A1 to different value and quote data sets from different sheets. Is it possible to quote three data sets simultaneously from Sheet1? Thanks, Ming Perhaps use a 2 variable data t...

Insert string into a Cell ?
Hi, How do I insert string into a cell ? Dim myString As string myString = "abcd" shp.CellsSRC(visSectionProp, visRowProp, visCustPropsValue) = myString 'This will yield with type mismatch error. Thanks. Hello m, You've got a reference to the cell but not the property of the cell object. So if you want to set the cell's formula you need to use that property. Also, as you're adding a string you need to wrap it up in quotes (note two double quotes in a row get evaluated as a single set of quotes). Have a go with the following: shp.CellsSRC(visSectionProp, ...