What does it mean to have a file name followed by .xls:1 etc.?

I received an Excel spreadsheet that produces two separate spreadsheets when
I open it.  They have the same names except that one is .xls:1 and the other
..xls:2 and I have not been able to find what this signifies.
0
KGAR (1)

Those are multiple windows that view the same Excel file.
You create them by selecting Window>New Window.

If you close the :2 window, the other will still be open (but the :1 will no
longer display)

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"KGAR" wrote:

> I received an Excel spreadsheet that produces two separate spreadsheets when
> I open it.  They have the same names except that one is .xls:1 and the other
> .xls:2 and I have not been able to find what this signifies.
The last person to save the file had two windows open on the document; to
eliminate this (barring protection), close .xls:2, save file, close .xls:1.
Next file opening should be a single window document.

Matt7102

"KGAR" wrote:

> I received an Excel spreadsheet that produces two separate spreadsheets when
> I open it.  They have the same names except that one is .xls:1 and the other
> .xls:2 and I have not been able to find what this signifies.
0
Matt7102 (10)
12/13/2005 6:46:02 PM
I like this to close windows I don't want.

Select the window I don't want.
hit ctrl-w
save the workbook the way I like (so I don't have to do it again)

--

Dave Peterson
0