Volatile UDF v ws_change conflict

Hi all

In a worksheet there are cells that call an Application.Volatile UDF.
The UDF does nothing other than return the rowheight of the cell that calls
it.
That worksheet also has a Worksheet_Change() event handler.

If I delete the cells that call the UDF then the Worksheet_Change() routine
works as planned.
If I un-volatile the UDF then the Worksheet_Change() routine works as
planned.
But if I leave the UDF in the worksheet and leave it volatile (required)
then the Worksheet_Change() event misbehaves.

I shall post the full code of the UDF and the Worksheet_Change() if it would
help, but I was thinking that perhaps there is a standard procedure for
overcoming this?

Thanks

-Cube

0
mind-the-gap (250)

What does  "the Worksheet_Change() event misbehaves" mean to you?

I put this in my sheet module:

        MsgBox Target.Address(0, 0) & " Changed"
    End Sub

and put this in a regular code module:

    Public Function ReturnRowHeight() As Double
        Application.Volatile
        ReturnRowHeight = Application.Caller.RowHeight
    End Function

I then put several

    =ReturnRowHeight()

formulas in the sheet, changed some row heights, and made some
entries. The function updated and the event fired OK each time an
entry was made.

by all means, post the relevant code.

In article <WpEfb.23$nh3.0@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>,
 "The Cube" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> In a worksheet there are cells that call an Application.Volatile UDF.
> The UDF does nothing other than return the rowheight of the cell that calls
> it.
> That worksheet also has a Worksheet_Change() event handler.
>
> If I delete the cells that call the UDF then the Worksheet_Change() routine
> works as planned.
> If I un-volatile the UDF then the Worksheet_Change() routine works as
> planned.
> But if I leave the UDF in the worksheet and leave it volatile (required)
> then the Worksheet_Change() event misbehaves.
>
> I shall post the full code of the UDF and the Worksheet_Change() if it would
> help, but I was thinking that perhaps there is a standard procedure for
> overcoming this?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Cube

0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/4/2003 7:25:53 PM
"J.E. McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message
<snip>
> by all means, post the relevant code.

Here goes:

UDF first:

Function RowHeight(r As Range) As Double
Application.Volatile
RowHeight = r.RowHeight
End Function 'RowHeight(r As Range) As Double

'By the way I didn't define it as a Public Function.  Don't know whether
that matters but it seems to work without.

Dim rRange As Range
Dim rTarget As Range
Dim bTest As Boolean
If pbMeWriting Then Exit Sub 'Public Dim Boolean in main module
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
'Next line probably superfluous
If Application.ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Index <>
Application.ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Analysis").Index Then GoTo GrandFinita
bTest = False
Set rTarget = Target.EntireRow
Set rRange = Intersect(Target, Range("Analysis!Transaction_Type_Range"))
If Not rRange Is Nothing Then bTest = True
Set rRange = Intersect(Target, Range("Analysis!Account_2_Range"))
If bTest = False And rRange Is Nothing Then GoTo Test2
bTest = False
Set rRange = Intersect(rTarget, Range("Analysis!VAT_Return_Cat_Range"))
Range("Analysis!VAT_Return_Cat_Template").Copy Destination:=rRange
rRange.Formula = rRange.Value
Set rRange = Intersect(rTarget, Range("Analysis!VAT_Code_Range"))
Range("Analysis!VAT_Code_Template").Copy Destination:=rRange
rRange.Formula = rRange.Value
Test2:
Set rRange = Intersect(Target, Range("Analysis!Vat_Return_Cat_Range"))
If Not rRange Is Nothing Then bTest = True
Set rRange = Intersect(Target, Range("Analysis!VAT_Code_Range"))
If Not rRange Is Nothing Then bTest = True
Set rRange = Intersect(Target, Range("Analysis!Gross_Range"))
If rRange Is Nothing And bTest = False Then GoTo GrandFinita
Set rRange = Intersect(rTarget, Range("Analysis!VAT_Range"))
Range("Analysis!VAT_Template").Copy Destination:=rRange
rRange.Formula = rRange.Value
GrandFinita:
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub 'Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

OK, now an example of how the thing fails to fire correctly:
(All references are in worksheet "Analysis")

I change the content of cell P14, that is within range Account_2_Range.
Neither Cell R14 (that is within Vat_Return_Cat_range) nor cell S14 (that is
within VAT_Code_Range) change as a result, when they should.
Ironically, if I hit the delete key on P14 then R14 and S14 do change.  It
is only other changes to P14 that causes trouble (there may be other
examples).

-Cube

0
mind-the-gap (250)
10/4/2003 8:34:04 PM
A bit more info on the problem below (is top-posting frowned upon here?):

I changed the UDF to:

Public Function testme03() As Long
        Application.Volatile
        Dim rngF As Range
        Dim cell As Range

        testme03 = 0
        With Worksheets("Analysis")
            With .AutoFilter.Range.Columns(1)
                For Each cell In .Offset(1, 0).Resize( _
                            .Rows.Count - 1).Cells
                    If Not cell.EntireRow.Hidden Then
                        testme03 = cell.Row
                        Exit For
                    End If
                Next cell
            End With
        End With
    End Function

The only cell that contains the formula "=testme03" is NOT in the worksheet
"Analysis" nor are there any cells in "Analysis" that are dependent on the
only cell that contains that formula.  And yet the Worksheet_Change() event
behind "Analysis" still fails to operate as expected.

Earlier I wrote:

"The Cube" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "J.E. McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > by all means, post the relevant code.
>
> Here goes:
>
> UDF first:
>
> Function RowHeight(r As Range) As Double
> Application.Volatile
> RowHeight = r.RowHeight
> End Function 'RowHeight(r As Range) As Double
>
> 'By the way I didn't define it as a Public Function.  Don't know whether
> that matters but it seems to work without.

> Dim rRange As Range
> Dim rTarget As Range
> Dim bTest As Boolean
> If pbMeWriting Then Exit Sub 'Public Dim Boolean in main module
> Application.ScreenUpdating = False
> 'Next line probably superfluous
> If Application.ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Index <>
> Application.ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Analysis").Index Then GoTo
GrandFinita
> bTest = False
> Set rTarget = Target.EntireRow
> Set rRange = Intersect(Target, Range("Analysis!Transaction_Type_Range"))
> If Not rRange Is Nothing Then bTest = True
> Set rRange = Intersect(Target, Range("Analysis!Account_2_Range"))
> If bTest = False And rRange Is Nothing Then GoTo Test2
> bTest = False
> Set rRange = Intersect(rTarget, Range("Analysis!VAT_Return_Cat_Range"))
> Range("Analysis!VAT_Return_Cat_Template").Copy Destination:=rRange
> rRange.Formula = rRange.Value
> Set rRange = Intersect(rTarget, Range("Analysis!VAT_Code_Range"))
> Range("Analysis!VAT_Code_Template").Copy Destination:=rRange
> rRange.Formula = rRange.Value
> Test2:
> Set rRange = Intersect(Target, Range("Analysis!Vat_Return_Cat_Range"))
> If Not rRange Is Nothing Then bTest = True
> Set rRange = Intersect(Target, Range("Analysis!VAT_Code_Range"))
> If Not rRange Is Nothing Then bTest = True
> Set rRange = Intersect(Target, Range("Analysis!Gross_Range"))
> If rRange Is Nothing And bTest = False Then GoTo GrandFinita
> Set rRange = Intersect(rTarget, Range("Analysis!VAT_Range"))
> Range("Analysis!VAT_Template").Copy Destination:=rRange
> rRange.Formula = rRange.Value
> GrandFinita:
> Application.CutCopyMode = False
> Application.ScreenUpdating = True
> End Sub 'Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
>
> OK, now an example of how the thing fails to fire correctly:
> (All references are in worksheet "Analysis")
>
> I change the content of cell P14, that is within range Account_2_Range.
> Neither Cell R14 (that is within Vat_Return_Cat_range) nor cell S14 (that
is
> within VAT_Code_Range) change as a result, when they should.
> Ironically, if I hit the delete key on P14 then R14 and S14 do change.  It
> is only other changes to P14 that causes trouble (there may be other
> examples).
>
> -Cube

0
mind-the-gap (250)
10/5/2003 8:47:15 AM
OK - here's my take:

I was able to replicate the problem - the UDF is exiting abnormally
when it refers to a cell inthe sheet that's in the middle of the
Worksheet_Change event, at the "If Not cell.EntireRow.Hidden Then"
line. I'm not sure why this is.

One solution seems to be to turn Calculation off during the
Worksheet_Change event. This worked for me (note that I rewrote your
code a bit - I think the logic is the same):

        Dim oldCalc As Integer
        If PbMeWriting Then Exit Sub
        With Application
            .ScreenUpdating = False
            oldCalc = .Calculation
            .Calculation = xlManual
            .EnableEvents = False
        End With
        With Target
            If (Not Intersect(.Cells, Range( _
            "Analysis!Account_2_Range")) Is Nothing) Or _
            (Not Intersect(.Cells, Range( _
            "Analysis!Transaction_Type_Range")) Is Nothing) Then
                With Intersect(.EntireRow, _
                         Range("Analysis!VAT_Return_Cat_Range"))
                    Range("Analysis!VAT_Return_Cat_Template").Copy _
                        Destination:=.Cells
                    .Value = .Value
                End With
                With Intersect(.EntireRow, _
                         Range("Analysis!VAT_Code_Range"))
                    Range("Analysis!VAT_Code_Template").Copy _
                        Destination:=.Cells
                    .Value = .Value
                End With
            End If
            If (Not Intersect(.Cells, _
                Range("Analysis!Vat_Return_Cat_Range")) Is Nothing) _
                And (Not Intersect(.Cells, _
                Range("Analysis!VAT_Code_Range")) Is Nothing) And _
                (Not Intersect(.Cells, _
                 Range("Analysis!Gross_Range")) Is Nothing) Then
                With Intersect(.EntireRow, _
                             Range("Analysis!VAT_Range"))
                    Range("Analysis!VAT_Template").Copy .Cells
                    .Value = .Value
                End With
            End If
        End With
        With Application
            .CutCopyMode = False
            .ScreenUpdating = True
            .Calculation = oldCalc
            .EnableEvents = True
        End With
    End Sub 'Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

However, I suspect with copying your template ranges, that you want
them to automatically calculate, before being converted to values.
If that's the case, another solution is to create a global boolean
variable, say gbInSheetChangeEvent, and wrap your Worksheet_Change
code with

    gbInSheetChangeEvent = True
    'your code here
    gbInSheetChangeEvent = False
    Application.CalculateFull

then in the UDF, as the first line, use

    If gbInSheetChangeEvent Then Exit Function

Like I said, these worked for me in a test workbook  - since I don't
have your data, and I'm not sure what all the copying is about, I
don't guarantee it will work for you.

In article <jUQfb.5002$1k3.4078@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>,
 "The Cube" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> A bit more info on the problem below (is top-posting frowned upon here?):
>
> I changed the UDF to:
>
> Public Function testme03() As Long
>         Application.Volatile
>         Dim rngF As Range
>         Dim cell As Range
>
>         testme03 = 0
>         With Worksheets("Analysis")
>             With .AutoFilter.Range.Columns(1)
>                 For Each cell In .Offset(1, 0).Resize( _
>                             .Rows.Count - 1).Cells
>                     If Not cell.EntireRow.Hidden Then
>                         testme03 = cell.Row
>                         Exit For
>                     End If
>                 Next cell
>             End With
>         End With
>     End Function
>
> The only cell that contains the formula "=testme03" is NOT in the worksheet
> "Analysis" nor are there any cells in "Analysis" that are dependent on the
> only cell that contains that formula.  And yet the Worksheet_Change() event
> behind "Analysis" still fails to operate as expected.

0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/6/2003 4:36:08 PM
> OK - here's my take:
>
> I was able to replicate the problem - the UDF is exiting abnormally
> when it refers to a cell inthe sheet that's in the middle of the
> Worksheet_Change event, at the "If Not cell.EntireRow.Hidden Then"
> line. I'm not sure why this is.
>
> One solution seems to be

<snip the good stuff>

Yup thanks for that it works for me.  Your post was quite educational.

As it happens I only needed the UDF to determine the row number of the first
visible row in an autofiltered table and I have since worked out how to
achieve this without the need of a UDF, but I think I will change my
worksheet_change event along your lines anyway.

-Cube

0
mind-the-gap (250)

Forms v Templates
I am creating my own forms in Outlook and wondered if anyone could tell me the definitive benefits of saving as an Outlook Template (oft) over a form (frm). They are both accessible in the same place. Does anyone have any thoughts to help me? I am a end- user trainer and would like this knowledge to feed back to delegates should the question come up. Thanks! ..oft files can be run by double-clicking them. .frm files have to be installed first and then are run as published forms -- see http://www.outlookcode.com/d/launchform.htm. ..oft files don't run code. Published forms do....

File A2561405.cab shows damaged during MS Office 2003 install on V
I just bought a computer with VISTA. I am trying to install MS Office 2003 (professional) and I am getting this error message. I am surprised because the disk does not seem to be damaged. Thanks, Luis Barbosa ...

>Excessive PF conflict messages
Q articles referenced: 273479, 265733 Errors: Messages generated from the Public Folder Store (PF Server) Multiple edits have been made to "PF item". The conflicting edits have been attached to a conflict message in "PF". Environment: 2 dedicated PF servers A + B Replication on the PF store on A + B is set to 'always run', replication interval for always (minutes) 5, replication message size limit (KB) 9000 1 exchange org, 1 routing group, multiple MB stores The MB stores have a mix of the default PF store defined as A or B depending on the g...

"Name Conflict" opening an Excel 2003 workbook
I'm getting a "Name Conflict" "Name cannot be the same as a built-in name." Old name: Print_Area New name: All of the solutions I've read is to load this into Excel 2003, fix the problem, then re-save it. But I do not want to load Excel 2003 on a box just to do this for a few spreadsheets. I downloaded a program called NameManager.zip but this only works, from what I can tell, once you have opened the file. The whole problem is I can't get the spreadsheet opened with this name conflict. Is there a solution? Thanks, Rick Have you tried re-naming...

Displaying the arguments of UDF in the spertip
I was searching for a way to have a my custom UDF (may be in an addin) arguments be displayed in the supertip similar to the way like all other usual/normal excel functions show. Also, I want to have my udf listed in the application.worksheetfunction in the VBA editor. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Like; Application.MacroOptions Macro:="L_VLOOKAllSheets", _ Description:="Performs VLOOKUP across all Worksheets and stops at the 1st match" _ & vbNewLine & "E.G: =L_VLOOKAllSheets(Dog,$C$1:$E$20,2,FALSE)", Category:=&...

Money 2006 conflicts with IE7
After installing IE7, Money 2006 launches, I can sign in, but at my first attempt to access my accounts or do anything, I get the following message: We're sorry, but Microsoft Money has experienced an internal error and will have to restart. The error details are: AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 15.0.0.513 ModName: autoupdate.dll ModVer: 15.0.0.513 Offset: 00009c84 Microsoft confirmed that the conflict is between Money and IE7. If I uninstall IE7, Money works again but fails if I re-install IE7. NO WAY TO FIX THIS? Michael What version of Windows? Have you tried running Mo...

Using MSXML v 2.6 w/ .NET
QUESTION: Does anyone know how I can use v2.6 of the MSXML parser with .NET? BACKGROUND: I "Web to Print" process that allows our clients (newspapers) to export their data and pass it thru a custom Xslt stylesheet we have created for their print system. The idea of the whole process for them is they request the export and then they get a text file they can import (copy / paste) into their system with all their styles and layout according to their business rules. This works great except one of our new clients uses and older system which requires ascii characters which are excluded by...

Conflict resolution option not available
Hi When on a replicated databate I try to resolve conflicts with the replication master using the Tools->Replication->Resolve Conflicts menu option I get nothing. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Many Thanks Regards "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in news:uvYwsNmGIHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl: > When on a replicated databate I try to resolve conflicts with the > replication master using the Tools->Replication->Resolve Conflicts > menu option I get nothing. What is the problem and how can I fix > it? Are you using a Replica...

Can't load xml containing \v
I have an xml document that I am trying to load, which contains RTF text. I get the error, "{"'\v', hexadecimal value 0x0B, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 24." }" when I call this code. System.Xml.XmlDocument xmlNewDocument = new System.Xml.XmlDocument(); xmlNewDocument.LoadXml("<TextExpanderPlainText>\v</TextExpanderPlainText>"); This loads without any errors in IE, but not .Net XML. Is there anything I can do to get the xml string to load not knowing if it may contain any special processing values like "\v"? Than...

Unable to create protection Group For Hyper-V in DPM 2010
Hello Guy's, On DPM2010-RC, when I try to select the Hyper-V part of an added host, I get the following error: --------------- One or more prerequisites for protecting this data source is missing. Ensure that the following prerequisite software is installed on bucksrv02.bciglobal.nl and/or all nodes in the cluster: Windows Server 2008 with Knowledge Base article 948465 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948465) AND Knowledge Base article 971394 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971394) - OR - Windows Server 2008 R2 with Knowledge Base article 975921(http://support.microsoft.c...

fraction udf
Howdee all. I know that we can do basic fractions with alt+ specific keystrokes, such as alt+0188 gives 1/4, or alt+0189 gives one half. I've recently learned that by using code in vba we can get certain fraction characters. E.g. chrW(H8135) gives one third. However, here I'm interested in getting more choices on fractions. In my specific case, I'd like the fraction 1/6, in "normal" appearing fraction form as we see for 1/4 or 1/2. Has anyone ever been able to make a UDF that does a larger variety of fractions? Thank you. Best. On May 11, 4:...

UDF How to record in Excel
Hi: Someone has given me a UDF which is coded as follows:: Private Function WorkbookIsOpen(wbname) As Boolean ' Returns TRUE if the workbook is open Dim x As Workbook On Error Resume Next Set x = Workbooks(wbname) If Err = 0 Then WorkbookIsOpen = True _ Else WorkbookIsOpen = False End Function I want to implement this so that it can be called for a sp[eciofic workbook. I have presently tucked it in the same area as the macros, but when I call it I get a errpr "Sub of Funcvtion undefined". The call is corrfect, but somehow the function isn't being ...

Conflicting Appointments
How do I setup a room booking system, which ALSO prevents conflicting appointments being accepted All rooms have been setup as resources Any assistance would be appreciated. "a.dmello" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I setup a room booking system, which ALSO prevents conflicting appointments being accepted. > >All rooms have been setup as resources. > >Any assistance would be appreciated. If you want to do it with skill and aplomb then http://www.swinc.com/erm/ is your friend. There are also some cheap and cheerful solutions that invol...

V Lookup EZ Tutorial anyone?
I need some help - any EZ to understand tutorials out there? I have 1 spreadsheet with a list of part numbers and other data. I have a 2nd spreadsheet that has the list of part numbers and one element that I need to bring (lookup?) to the 1st spreadsheet when the part number exists in both. Clear? Thanks. Jack > > > > Post here what you want to know and you will get an answer! > > Not working yet - I have the 2 sheets in file now and pasted the formula in a blank column in sheet 1 but it is returning the NA for a part that IS listed in the 2nd sheet which does have a...

Sluggish to dead Office v.X
iMac G4 running OS 10.3.4 Word starting getting sluggish on start up. When opening a .doc file, = it=20 would sit there spinning the color wheel. Got progressively worse. I=20 repaired permissions with disk utility, ran anit-virus, ran disk doctor = and=20 repaired catalogue. Excel was ok. Then I removed office and pref files and user data following MS = Knowledge=20 Base Article 323675 and reinstalled. Now Word and Excel freeze on = starting=20 them. Click on the sheet an it won't go to that program, but you can = get=20 there from the dock. Any clues? =20 Jeff Huh. I was going...

Chinese fonts on Office v. X
I am having problems reading my documents that I receive from Taiwan and China (both simplified and traditional characters). When I usually receive an email with Chinese. . . I copy/paste them to Sherlock's translator and viola!. . . I get English. . . But this is not the case with attachments from emails in the form of excel or word files. I usually first have an issue in trying to find out which font they used so that the Chinese characters come out. Once they come out, I can print it out. . .but I need them translated. . . Unfortunately, I cannot copy/paste the characters at all. . ....

Outlook XP NIS 2004 Conflict Runtime Error
To all that are afflicted with this error with multiple user accounts on same PC - I have been battling with Symantec since November. On their 'advice' I have re- installed NIS umpteen times using various permutations - uninstall , delete folders, HACK the REGISTRY, uninstall MS outlook & re-install then re-install NIS using clean boot and minimum configuration after using MSCONFIG. To no avail!! If you haven't already done so, please raise an online call with Symantec giving all details. I have told them today that there is a large number of folk on this site with the...

Dell 760 and coalition conflict
Hi I have a client using a dell optiplex 760 with 2gig of ram and running HQ client. When we click connect in hq client we sometimes get a colition conflict error. There are 13 stores in the company and only this one with this model dell is having the error. Any suggestions. A speedy reply will be greatly appreciated.. P.S. I changed the regional settings and un-install SQL express and re-install and still the error pops up. -- Kay ...

Can a VBA UDF tell who called it?
Is there a way that a UDF can tell who called it? If it was called from a worksheet cell, I'd like to know the name of the workbook, name of the sheet, and the cell address. Function test() test = Application.Caller.Parent.Parent.Name & " " & Application.Caller.Parent.Name & " " & Application.Caller.Address End Function -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Prof Wonmug" <wonmug@e.mcc> wrote in message news:tjhkk5hr1a0d8l485gitfume19lpthq325@4ax.com... > Is there a way that a UDF can tell who call...

Conflicting appts msg when none exists
I am using Outlook 2002 which syncs with an ipaq 2215. Some of my calendar appointments on the desktop, when open, give the caution warning message, Conflicts with another appointment in the calendar. However, I can find no conflicting appointments. If I change the time a little, the conflict goes away. I also notice a green line in the week view that has no information but spans all weeks. Attempts to delete them have met with no success either. Anyone have a fix for this? -- Thanks, Mike. ...

unable to ocpy large files to udf
I was wondering if there's a size limit for copying files to a udf (incd) formatted rwcd? I've been able to copy small files with no problem but the large files hang and I'm unable to end the program (windows explorer) using "end task" (task manager). I end up having to reset and reboot. I wondered if since the disk is being used like a floppy that it can't copy files larger than 1.44M. "cisz" <cisz.x@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uLGbbBWaKHA.1596@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I was wondering if there's a size limit for ...

DPM 2010 (Final) + Hyper-V R2 cluster with CSV
Hi, I have installed DPM agent on both nodes of my cluster (2x Dell R710), now every time I try to select VM's on Hyper-V cluster I receive the warning saying that I need to install the 2 KB's (975921 and 975354), I already install the hotfix by order, then I update Integration tools in the VM. 1 Question: Every time I try to upgrate "Integration Tools" he always tell me that a older version of "Integration tools" was detected and if I want to update. I already have done the update 4 times. 2 Question: DPM continue to tell me that I need to install...

Permutations with conflicting groups
Hi, I wish to find only the number of permutations of the following example. There are 4 employees who are able to perform different tasks. If they are working one task, they cannot work on another. Task#1 Task#2 Task#3 ****** Alice Alice Betty Betty Betty Carol Carol ****** Denise ****** ****** Eg: Alice can only perform Task#2 or Task#3 Eg; Betty can perform either Task#1 or Task#2 or Task#3 Eg: Carol can perform Task#1 or Task#2 Eg: Denise can only perform Task#1 There are 7 combinations of tasks that can be achieved. Betty Carol Alice Carol Alice Be...

Address book v contacts
What is the difference between the Outlook address book and outlook contacts? Can I use my contacts for a mail merge in Word? To date I only seem to be able to use the address book. The Outlook Address Book is a service in Outlook that allows one to mark/use Outlook contact folders as address books. (right click on a contacts folder and select properties. go to the Outlook Address Book tab to disable/enable a folder and give the book a name.) "C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:OGstiFJ1EHA.2824@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > What is...

UDF: how to tell if optional *range* parameter is empty?
I have a UDF with an optional *range* parameter, and whether one block of code should run depends on whether or not a range was supplied. I tried ISMISSING(OptionalRangeParameter) but even when the range is not passed through, it apparently doesn't evaluate as missing. I also tried ISNULL and ISEMPTY, to the same effect. I also tried the ubound>lbound trick for arrays, but that didn't work (presumably because this is a range, or because the parameter hadn't been passed in the first place, I'm not sure) What is the most reliable method of determining if an...