Vlookup student grades

Hi,
Thanks in advance for your time.  I am trying to resolve a problem I am
having with vlookups.  I understand the concept pretty well so I am not sure
what I am doing wrong.  I have a list of grades for students A, A-, B+, B-,
etc.  and I have a list of corresponding number grades in column 2. I named
the table "Grades".   The row pairs are; A=100, A-=95, B+=90, B=85, B-=80.

For some reason my B+ students are all getting 80.  I wondered if vlookup
was case-sensitive or if it didnt recognize + and - signs but even if it
didnt, the B+ student should have an 85.

Any thoughts,
Thanks
0
Vicky (87)

Hi Vicky.

Is there a space between B and + in your table?

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Vicky" <Vicky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Thanks in advance for your time.  I am trying to resolve a problem I am
> having with vlookups.  I understand the concept pretty well so I am not
> sure
> what I am doing wrong.  I have a list of grades for students A, A-, B+,
> B-,
> etc.  and I have a list of corresponding number grades in column 2. I
> named
> the table "Grades".   The row pairs are; A=100, A-=95, B+=90, B=85, B-=80.
>
> For some reason my B+ students are all getting 80.  I wondered if vlookup
> was case-sensitive or if it didnt recognize + and - signs but even if it
> didnt, the B+ student should have an 85.
>
> Any thoughts,
> Thanks

0
nicolaus (2022)
5/12/2005 7:29:02 PM
No, there isn't.  Should there be?  I dont think so.  I will try.

"Niek Otten" wrote:

> Hi Vicky.
>
> Is there a space between B and + in your table?
>
> --
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Niek Otten
>
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> "Vicky" <Vicky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Thanks in advance for your time.  I am trying to resolve a problem I am
> > having with vlookups.  I understand the concept pretty well so I am not
> > sure
> > what I am doing wrong.  I have a list of grades for students A, A-, B+,
> > B-,
> > etc.  and I have a list of corresponding number grades in column 2. I
> > named
> > the table "Grades".   The row pairs are; A=100, A-=95, B+=90, B=85, B-=80.
> >
> > For some reason my B+ students are all getting 80.  I wondered if vlookup
> > was case-sensitive or if it didnt recognize + and - signs but even if it
> > didnt, the B+ student should have an 85.
> >
> > Any thoughts,
> > Thanks

0
Vicky (87)
5/12/2005 7:34:01 PM
At the end of your Vlookup, add a    ",0)"

=vlookup("B+", table, 2 , 0)

"Vicky" wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks in advance for your time.  I am trying to resolve a problem I am
> having with vlookups.  I understand the concept pretty well so I am not sure
> what I am doing wrong.  I have a list of grades for students A, A-, B+, B-,
> etc.  and I have a list of corresponding number grades in column 2. I named
> the table "Grades".   The row pairs are; A=100, A-=95, B+=90, B=85, B-=80.
>
> For some reason my B+ students are all getting 80.  I wondered if vlookup
> was case-sensitive or if it didnt recognize + and - signs but even if it
> didnt, the B+ student should have an 85.
>
> Any thoughts,
> Thanks
0
DukeCarey (494)
5/12/2005 7:36:04 PM
Hi Duke,
What does that do?  Does a 0 indicate that it must be an exact match?

Thank you, it worked.

Vicky

"Duke Carey" wrote:

> At the end of your Vlookup, add a    ",0)"
>
> =vlookup("B+", table, 2 , 0)
>
> "Vicky" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Thanks in advance for your time.  I am trying to resolve a problem I am
> > having with vlookups.  I understand the concept pretty well so I am not sure
> > what I am doing wrong.  I have a list of grades for students A, A-, B+, B-,
> > etc.  and I have a list of corresponding number grades in column 2. I named
> > the table "Grades".   The row pairs are; A=100, A-=95, B+=90, B=85, B-=80.
> >
> > For some reason my B+ students are all getting 80.  I wondered if vlookup
> > was case-sensitive or if it didnt recognize + and - signs but even if it
> > didnt, the B+ student should have an 85.
> >
> > Any thoughts,
> > Thanks
0
Vicky (87)
5/12/2005 7:41:07 PM
Vicky - You're right - it forces an exact match.

"Vicky" wrote:

> Hi Duke,
> What does that do?  Does a 0 indicate that it must be an exact match?
>
> Thank you, it worked.
>
> Vicky
>
> "Duke Carey" wrote:
>
> > At the end of your Vlookup, add a    ",0)"
> >
> > =vlookup("B+", table, 2 , 0)
> >
> > "Vicky" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Thanks in advance for your time.  I am trying to resolve a problem I am
> > > having with vlookups.  I understand the concept pretty well so I am not sure
> > > what I am doing wrong.  I have a list of grades for students A, A-, B+, B-,
> > > etc.  and I have a list of corresponding number grades in column 2. I named
> > > the table "Grades".   The row pairs are; A=100, A-=95, B+=90, B=85, B-=80.
> > >
> > > For some reason my B+ students are all getting 80.  I wondered if vlookup
> > > was case-sensitive or if it didnt recognize + and - signs but even if it
> > > didnt, the B+ student should have an 85.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts,
> > > Thanks
0
DukeCarey (494)
5/12/2005 8:12:05 PM
Duke,

What is the difference between putting a "0", or "false" at the end?

--
Thanks,

Ben

"Duke Carey" wrote:

> Vicky - You're right - it forces an exact match.
>
> "Vicky" wrote:
>
> > Hi Duke,
> > What does that do?  Does a 0 indicate that it must be an exact match?
> >
> > Thank you, it worked.
> >
> > Vicky
> >
> > "Duke Carey" wrote:
> >
> > > At the end of your Vlookup, add a    ",0)"
> > >
> > > =vlookup("B+", table, 2 , 0)

0
Ben1 (161)
5/19/2005 1:39:01 AM
Just the spelling.  Excel treats them the same.

--

Dave Peterson
0

daylight savings time on vlookup
DST, how do I incorporate that to the sheet? say... Arizona, they are currently in Pacific time but when California reverts back to DST, are they ahead or behind Pacific? how can i formulate that in excel sheet? I think Indiana is the same way. I'm sure you know exactly what you want, but your question is very ambiguous. XL by itself is totally unaware of time zones. How are you dealing with time and location now? How does XL know what time is referred to or what location is referred to? AFAIK, AZ and HI don't observe DST, and only some counties in IN observe it, so you'd n...

Office v.X Student/Teacher Edition
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3153246636_180875 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Hi. Is anyone here from the UK and have they had any experience in purchasing and registering office v.X for Mac student/teacher edition? I read that the student teacher version of Office 2003 for the PC comes without a CD and instead a form is enclosed that has to be filled in and sent off. Upon verification of the form, the CD is then poste...

vlookup? #4
I have a spreadsheet with a thousand rows. It is separated by division, so a persons name may appear in cell A1, then agin in row A967. (Always the same column though). I want to get a count of how many times a person's name appears on the report. What's the best way? The data is below. Thanks for your help!1 Division: Eastern BAILEY P0642325 BAILEY P0647801 User Id: BAILEY Total: CHAMBERL P0628547 CHAMBERL P0644827 CHAMBERL P0648143 Division: Western DILLOND P0597632 DILLOND P0638148 DILLOND P0638578 DILLOND P0638683 DILLOND P0640484 DILLOND P0647095 DILLOND P0647120 User Id:...

Solver Adds in Microsoft Edition 2003 (student version)
Guys, i've been trying to install solver adds-in but I've had no luck Hi what happened exactly (error message, etc.) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Derl" <Derl@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:A216F0AC-9B3A-4CF4-AF46-4D347E697BAD@microsoft.com... > Guys, i've been trying to install solver adds-in but I've had no luck ...

Upgrade from Home/Student to Business
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I need to update a machine that is running office 2008 HSE to the Business edition so that entourage will work with Exchange server. <br> If there is a POP account already setup in Entourage, when I make the upgrade, will that account and all of its contents remain? I just don't want to lose that data You should uninstall Office first using the Remove Office tool, which you can find in Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office. Doing so will not affect your Entourage data...

Vlookup / Match / Hlookup / Array fundtion or What?
I'm trying to tidy up 65,000 lines of student data ready to export into another system. Our current spreadsheet has a sepearte line for each telephone number we have for each student (S1, S2 etc). So it currently looks like this: S1 Mob1 S1 Mob2 S1 Home1 S2 Office1 S3 Mob1 S4 Home1 S4 Office 1 S5 Mob 1 I want each student to have just a single entry (down the page) and then the type of number we have for them across the page, like this: Mob1 Mob2 Mob3 Home 1 Office1 S1 S2 S3 S4 S5 I need a function (or combo of moves) so that the spreadsheet goes and checks that we ...

Microsoft Home & Student 2007....3 User Copy
I had Home & Student 2007 installed on a PC that suddenly stopped running; the Hard Drive failed. Rather than pay to fix it, I purchased a new PC. When I tried to Install Home & Student 2007 on my New PC...I got the message I had already had this software installed on 3 PC's. How can I install this software on my New PC? "denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C993CFB9-19FD-485C-AAEC-9BF3A3DB59A6@microsoft.com... > I had Home & Student 2007 installed on a PC that suddenly stopped running; > the Hard Drive ...

VLOOKUP formula searching multiple worksheets ??
Does anyone know how to search for info from multiple Excel worksheets using the VLOOOKUP formula or any other formula. I have my VLOOKUP formula(column B) and list of values(column A) (sorted in ascending order) on Worksheet 7 and I need to search for these values in Worksheets 1,2,3,4,5& 6 Column F. Is this possible with Excel ? I've tried this by using the formula VLOOKUP(A2,Wrk1:Wrk6!$F:$G,1,FALSE) but I get a #VALUE! error. You will need a construct along these lines: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,Wrk1!$F:$G,2,0)), IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,Wrk2!$F:$G,2,0)), IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,Wrk3!$F:$G,2...

Help for Vlookup
I have two sheets one is book 1 and other is book2.xls . In book 2 I have Column A which has Names like x, y and z and against these name there are certain information in column B. I also have book1.xls Containing name of the person( x, y, and z). Now what I want if through the help of auto filter in book2.xls if I select name of x, all the information which has in book2.xls against x should be automatically incorporated in book1.xls below the name of X and so on for y and Z. I know we can do it with the help of vlookup but i am not getting it. Please help me. -- mangesh ----------------...

VLookUp Help!
I am trying to put together a pricing wizard for my company that would allow reps and resellers to easily look up the prices of our products. I originally designed a pivot table with drop down lists but this proved to be to difficult for most people to use. I though instead I could use VLookup to accomplish the same thing. The problem is we price our products by quantity. 5 to 25 being one price 26 to 50 being another and so on. Because of the ranges of pricing I can not figure a way, using VLookup to actually look up a price. Here is an example of the pricing: # Part # of Licen...

VLookup & HLookup
I have three seperate spreadsheets which have some common information (employee name, chaeck number and check date) all other information on these spreadsheets is different. I need to combine all three spreadsheets into one. For example, Employee A, Check #, Check Date, Net Pay, Gross Pay, Deductions (multiple), Taxes (multiple). Is this possible by combining a VLookup and an HLookup? And if so can someone give me some pointers as to how to go about doing this? Also, if there is a better way to do this can someone please tell me where to start. Thanks! Gerald It can be done, probably ...

vlookup where the query is a substring
I have a huge database of game items from an online game spread across several sheets, and I'm trying to finda match. The problem is that my search string is often a substring of the main alpha field in the excel database. Using Excel 2000, there doesn't seem to be a built-in command for doing this. How would I do this via a macro .... as I assume a macro can be made to do almost anything? .... or maybe SQL ... if Excel 2k supports SQL queries within a spreadsheet ... of which I am totally ignorant. Any help appreciated. For example, to find the substring "war" =VLOO...

Asking for help getting vlookup to work
Hello, I'm wondering if someone can help. Here is a workbook that I'm testing out vlookup in: http://download572.mediafire.com/itzzmmxemjjg/bmmyyemwkim/vlookup_book.xlsx As you can see, column C has the vlookup functions and they all use the text in the cell to the left of it as the lookup value and the same table_array. C2 and C3 have found a match but C1 hasn't. The lookup value for C1 and C2 look the same except that the one for C1 is derived from a formula and the one for C2 is entered in manually. My end goal is to get the vlookup in C1 to find a match just like C2. Any he...

Office Home and Student 2007
Attempting to load software and it appears to have stalled after the installation status bar has shown it is completed. I tried to open the CD door to possibley "wake it up" only to find I had to restart the whole process over. It has been over an hour sitting in the current mode. Any ideas out there? Remove disk, run Disk Cleanup, reboot Run MSUpdate to insure critical updates installed on whatever version of Win If you have a preinstalled Office Trial uninstall it together with Activation Assistant via add/remove, reboot "JoanieinNC" <JoanieinNC@di...

vlookup #15
I have a cell that gets its data via vlookup. How do I stop the user overwriting data in this cell? if I lock the cell the vlookup wont work. I tried data validation but that overwrites the formula. regards Peter The VLookup formula should work, even if the sheet is protected. What happened when you tried it? Peter Bailey wrote: > I have a cell that gets its data via vlookup. How do I stop the user > overwriting data in this cell? if I lock the cell the vlookup wont work. I > tried data validation but that overwrites the formula. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & ...

VLOOKUP use column name not number
Is there a way to use VLOOKUP to search for a column name and return the value in that column, rather search for a column number. -- Thank you, Kathy kathy wrote: > Is there a way to use VLOOKUP to search for a column name and return the > value in that column, rather search for a column number. > Use INDEX/MATCH. Look here: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html#IndexMatch2 Something like this... =VLOOKUP("this",A:J,MATCH("column_name",A1:J1,0),0) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "kathy" <kathy@discussions.micros...

Vlookup problem #2
We have a workbook which has name in column b we have another sheet with same names but column 1 has id# we would like to have those codes whatever we tried does not work no idea why here is our codes we tried =VLOOKUP(B1,[Book4.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$1:$C$890,1,TRUE) when we drag sometimes we get "MemberID" in the cell which is data from cell "a1" all other data is #N/A Read this VLOOKUP() tutorial: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "dk" <dk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF35F...

VLOOKUP inconsistent ... help.
I have a spreadsheet with 4 pages; each page has a simple list, with a number in the left column and a letter in the right column. On the various pages I do a vlookup on the first column of the others ... some work and some just flat don't! How do I figure this out? BTW ... spreadsheet is at http://www.heritage-dr.com/vlookup-prob.xls How do I fix this? Thanks in advance. At first glance, looks like you have copied/dragged your vlookup formulas, without having absolute references in the lookup array. This makes the lookup array change for each row you copy the formu...

Office:mac 2008 home and student won't install
I have a new copy Office:Mac 2008 home and student. When I double click on the installation button, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Admittedly, I don't know much about macs, I am using my kids' computer to install new software. ...

Installing office 2007 student over a standard trial
My computer came pre-installed with a copy of Microsoft office, I don't' recall which version, but it is expired and had Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Word. I've signed up for night school courses, and the school lets students download and install Office 2007 as a perk. Do I need to remove the trial before running the installer? Also, I've heard that Office 2003 and 2007 can coexist. I currently have my old copy of office 2003 installed on Virtual PC with my old copy of Windows XP professional, can I have both available on the host OS? How would I set that up?...

Vlookup multiple worksheets
Id need to do a Vlookup with the Value array to be A3:M16 on multiple(~20) worksheets. Also there are more than one row with the same Vlookup values, and i like to show every entry with the lookup value. Id perfer no macos, but whatever is easier. help ...

Office Student and Teacher edition
I'm a college student about to buy a new laptop. I'm looking at Microsoft Office and was wondering if the Student and Teacher edition is EXACTLY the same as the standard edition. For example, does Word bundled with Student Edition the same as Word bundled with the standard edition? Are the templates the same, are the fonts the same, are all functions present? I know it comes with 3 licenses. Does this mean I can install the Student edition on 3 separate computers, or does it mean I can only install it on one computer 3 times? What happens if I need to reformat my harddrive 4 tim...

Address book in Office Home and Student 2007?
Is there an address book feature in Office Home and Student 2007 so I can merge addresses into documents and envelopes? Use an Excel spreadsheet. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "lesliealys" <lesliealys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9319DD9A-A8D8-4429-A8F4-E355CAF046A1@microsoft.com... > Is there an address book feature in Office Home and Student 2007 so I can > merge addresses into documents and envelopes? Nope. The Office address book is part of Outlo...

Office Mac 2007/2008 Home & Student Edition Downloadable
I have 2 remaining licenses for the above mentioned software(s), but the cds are with my daughter out-of-state. Can I download the 2008 version and use my product keys? Thank you. On 3/5/08 6:56 PM, in article ee8fe90.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Big_Bouli@officeformac.com" <Big_Bouli@officeformac.com> wrote: > I have 2 remaining licenses for the above mentioned software(s), but the cds > are with my daughter out-of-state. Can I download the 2008 version and use my > product keys? You can't download Office 2008. It would require new keys. The keys you have are ...

vlookups and hyperlinks #2
I want to be able to enter a specified code on sheet 1 and have it go to the hyperlink I have for that code on another sheet where I have the codes and hyperlinks listed in a table format. -- roo143us Something like =hyperlink(vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)) might work for you. lmolle wrote: > > I want to be able to enter a specified code on sheet 1 and have it go to the > hyperlink I have for that code on another sheet where I have the codes and > hyperlinks listed in a table format. > -- > roo143us -- Dave Peterson ...