Visual Basic Help Wizard/Index problem, can't get cursor

I am able to bring up the help file in an excel workbook with no problems.
However, in the VBA help file I can only access the contents portion.  I
cannot get a cursor in the Answer Wizard or Index Areas - I only get a cursor
with arrows pointing left and right but cannot enter any text in the keyword
field, etc.  I recently updated from my original office with the SR-1
updates, not sure if this could be related.  Appreciate any insights.

Hi ....,
Use    Ctrl+Alt+Del    to bring up the Task Manager   (not to reboot)
In the process tab    select     msohelp.exe     and then the  "End Process "  button.

If there is another delete it also.

Then bring your   HELP  again.

Another problem that you might see with the same cure is not
being able to expand to see table of contents.  Of course if you
have Excel 2003 someting is missing anyway in Help, don't
remember what.parts of Help are missing.
---
HTH,

"HelpNeeded" <HelpNeeded@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A57F5A0A-C564-4272-87B7-A79E0D5C255C@microsoft.com...
> I am able to bring up the help file in an excel workbook with no problems.
> However, in the VBA help file I can only access the contents portion.  I
> cannot get a cursor in the Answer Wizard or Index Areas - I only get a cursor
> with arrows pointing left and right but cannot enter any text in the keyword
> field, etc.  I recently updated from my original office with the SR-1
> updates, not sure if this could be related.  Appreciate any insights.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
3/4/2005 1:17:13 AM
I tried what you suggested; however, that only closed out the help file
process.  When I re-opened the excel the problem still remains.  If it helps,
I am using Excel 2000.  Do I need to actually delete the help file and then
reload it from Office disk?
Is this related to the patches that I recently made from Microsoft Office
updates?

"David McRitchie" wrote:

> Hi ....,
> Use    Ctrl+Alt+Del    to bring up the Task Manager   (not to reboot)
> In the process tab    select     msohelp.exe     and then the  "End Process "  button.
>
> If there is another delete it also.
>
> Then bring your   HELP  again.
>
> Another problem that you might see with the same cure is not
> being able to expand to see table of contents.  Of course if you
> have Excel 2003 someting is missing anyway in Help, don't
> remember what.parts of Help are missing.
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "HelpNeeded" <HelpNeeded@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A57F5A0A-C564-4272-87B7-A79E0D5C255C@microsoft.com...
> > I am able to bring up the help file in an excel workbook with no problems.
> > However, in the VBA help file I can only access the contents portion.  I
> > cannot get a cursor in the Answer Wizard or Index Areas - I only get a cursor
> > with arrows pointing left and right but cannot enter any text in the keyword
> > field, etc.  I recently updated from my original office with the SR-1
> > updates, not sure if this could be related.  Appreciate any insights.

No all canceling the task does is terminate the program it does not
uninstall anything.
..
How are you opening Excel ?   Is it from a link to the workbook.
Try opening Excel and then use  File, Open   to open the file.

Even better test.
Close Excel,  make sure there is no msohelp.exe running.
Use Start,  documents  to create a new Excel file, save,
and then try Help.
---
HTH,    (like you I use Excel 2000)

"HelpNeeded" <HelpNeeded@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09610C98-4B10-4ADE-B3EE-C2DB9252F734@microsoft.com...
> I tried what you suggested; however, that only closed out the help file
> process.  When I re-opened the excel the problem still remains.  If it helps,
> I am using Excel 2000.  Do I need to actually delete the help file and then
> reload it from Office disk?
> Is this related to the patches that I recently made from Microsoft Office
> updates?
>
> "David McRitchie" wrote:
>
> > Hi ....,
> > Use    Ctrl+Alt+Del    to bring up the Task Manager   (not to reboot)
> > In the process tab    select     msohelp.exe     and then the  "End Process "  button.
> >
> > If there is another delete it also.
> >
> > Then bring your   HELP  again.
> >
> > Another problem that you might see with the same cure is not
> > being able to expand to see table of contents.  Of course if you
> > have Excel 2003 someting is missing anyway in Help, don't
> > remember what.parts of Help are missing.
> > ---
> > HTH,
> > David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
> > My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> > Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
> >
> > "HelpNeeded" <HelpNeeded@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A57F5A0A-C564-4272-87B7-A79E0D5C255C@microsoft.com...
> > > I am able to bring up the help file in an excel workbook with no problems.
> > > However, in the VBA help file I can only access the contents portion.  I
> > > cannot get a cursor in the Answer Wizard or Index Areas - I only get a cursor
> > > with arrows pointing left and right but cannot enter any text in the keyword
> > > field, etc.  I recently updated from my original office with the SR-1
> > > updates, not sure if this could be related.  Appreciate any insights.

0
dmcritchie (2586)

problem with index formula
The following fomula is contained in cell C16 and returns the correct values: =VLOOKUP(B6,'Active Clients'!$B$2:$K$954,10,FALSE) The following formula is contained in cell L18 and uses the result in C16 as a lookup value in the first "match": =INDEX(L21:M44,MATCH(C16,L21:L44,1),MATCH(M16,L21:M21,-1)) My promlem is that when I try to match on cell C16 my index formula returns an error. However, when I change the index formula to reference another cell (let's say cell D16) and I type in the value shown in cell C16, the index formula works fine. I think my problem has ...

Help
In the last three days, I have unable to download attachments. Previously I had no problem. When I attempt to open my attachments, I get a window called File Conversion filled with ASCII characters. Need info on how to correct this. It sounds as if these attachments are defaulting to Microsoft Word to open. What types of files are these? What are the file extensions? -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "Manville" <bjmanville@sbcglobal.net&g...

help help remote login
i need to access the exchange server remotly. we have a vpn set up and i don't know how to get in to do simple things like delete the bad mail folder ect.. or access simple files. if some one could guide me the right way or help it would be muc appriciated. thanks tony Have you considered remote desktop? Nue "tmolaee" <tmolaee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E47D75F-8825-4766-A4B1-49573815A158@microsoft.com... >i need to access the exchange server remotly. we have a vpn set up and i > don't know how to get in to do simple things like dele...

Can I get rid of browser address line
I have money 2005 S.B. I would like to get rid of the browser address line at the top and make room for some buttons that actually have importance and are useful. Is it possible? Microsoft thinks that Most Users Prefer(tm) their screen cluttered with all of the useless stuff in Money and the useful stuff gets what's left. Sorry, short of reverting to M04, there's no known workaround. "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:567538B6-94E2-4EB6-A8C8-C25D07EF9B27@microsoft.com... >I have money 2005 S.B. I would like to get rid of the brows...

Supplemental info to "HELP-excel date malfunction
Here's some additional info to the earlier post on the date cell function malfunction. Been isolated to the function to insert the date (cell format/date). It seems the application cannot interpret the system date properly. Always inserts/interprets the date as CurrentMonth-01-2011, instead of actual date. I cannot use the application this way. I am using the 'general' setting in cell format, then entering the string Month(abr)-day [eg= dec-17] instead of letting application enter the date automatically. Is there a patch available for this issue? -- Visit Family Rad...

HELP!!!!!!!
Hello! I'm doing a sheet at work and I'm having some problems, I need your help! Whay I have is a sheet with some columns and rows. - 1: Can I put "filters" on SOME columns only? I can put filter with auto-filter to all columns, but it makes no sense... How to put on SOME only? - 2: Can I auto create a book when inserting some data on a cell (write down something on a blank cell)? use the same name as text written on cell? - 3: Complete some cells auto from specific cells on other sheet (file) of excel? - 4: Hide some columns so some users on a Domain don't see......

The value become wrong when get value by using AppleScript while other worksheet is active.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I just want to send a bug report. Summary: The value become wrong when get value by using AppleScript while other worksheet is active. Description: 1. Create an AppleScript file with below script. tell application "Microsoft Excel" activate set OriginalWorkbook to workbook "Workbook1" set OriginalData to string value of column 1 of row 1 of worksheet 1 of OriginalWorkbook end tell 2. Launch Excel 2008 and create a Workbook called "Workbook1". 3. Enter time data "11...

help
how to enlarge publisher business card to letter size 8.5x11 A single card? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "notoes" <notoes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09072BB4-4BB5-45E1-973A-32D0538D4999@microsoft.com... > how to enlarge publisher business card to letter size 8.5x11 must have a big wallet to keep them in -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "JoAnn Paules" <jl_paules@hotnospammail.com> wrote i...

Urgent Help Required on Excel Macro Problem
Hi there, We are facing one problem from around 2 months.Some of our users have XF_SIC.A virus found in their pc.XF_SIC.A virus generally found in excel workbook as macro virus.This virus create one excel 4.0 macro sheet with "very hidden and very protected" attributes in excel 97 workbooks which can't be removed as it is not seen.every time when infected excel 97 file opens it infect the default startup excel file(Book1 placed in XLSTART folder) and then every excel file that will be open will have infection as default file book1 infected.now our antivirus software mcafe...

Adobe problem
Have just installed Adobe full version 7 onto terminal server when I use Great plains and open up a document and print to screen then choose the emailto(pdf) link it comes comes up with an error telling me that if I am sending postscript fonts then to go intot the settings of adobe printer and ensure the tick box "Do not send fonts to Adobe PDF" is ticked I have ensured that the boxes are ticked but the system will not let me email this way If I choose the adobe printer and print to printer I get the option to save the pdf documnet and then the PDF will appear on the screen and I ...

Unicode Problems In Resource Files
Hi, I have the following unicode russian string in an excel document ????????? ???? ???????T when i paste it into the string table in the resource editor it comes out as follows Нас�,�?ойка иг�?�< �"а�?�"илд�"� why is this could someone help i am toatally at a deadend with this. Regards Adrian, >I have the following unicode russian string in an excel document >????????? ???? ???????T >when i paste it into the string table in the resource editor it comes out as >follows >�?а�?�,�?ойка иг�?�< �"а�?�"илд�"� Adrian, I believe the c...

getting filenames from a folder
hi i am working in MFC Dialog based application. I have the path of a folder in a char array.i want to store all the filenams in that folder(includng the path of each file) in a CStringArray. priya hi please look into this MSDN article. "Battling Backup Anxiety with Win32" Eric Bergman-Terrell there is an example code for FindFirstFile, FindNextFile & FindCloseFile API's hope that helps. sreeram "priya" <priya@transversalnet.com> wrote in message news:068b01c343b6$04b622a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > hi > i am working in MFC Dialog based application...

Help: how to print fill pattern well in any printers
As we know, for display, we can call CreatePatternBrush() to create a 8pixel * 8pixel to fill a region. It is perfect for display in the display device and some printers. But In some high-res printer, the fill pattern is printed as gray. (the fill pattern is printed so densy that it looks like a solid gray block, for example, some HP printers and Acrobat PDF printer). I have tried a bigger bitmap brush according to the printer device's resolution. But It is still bad for some printers. Any suggestion is appreciated. Is there any way that is suitable for any printers? ...

spin control problem #2
How do I get the integer value of a spin control's associated edit control while in the edit control's OnEnChange function. Everytime I try to extract the data I get an exception error. If you have a problem in spin control, hire a good publicist... (sorry, I couldn't resist) First, show the code. Then say PRECISELY what you mean by "exception error", showing the exact line of code that experiences the problem. Otherwise, there is no way to tell what you've done! joe On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:43:21 -0700, "Z.K." <nospam@nospam.net> wrote: ...

Getting 'read' access to all domain mailboxes?
Is it possible setup one user to have full read access to all our domain mailboxes? I have read about delegate access but I just want to assign one users (our personnel manager) to have read access to all mailboxes Again, I only want this one person to have 'read only' access to all the other mailboxes so she can read their mail etc Many thanks in advance - ras - ...

ComboBox.Text gets reset between event calls
I am trying to make a ComboBox that will AutoResize to the text being displayed. The steps I take are: OnTextChanged(EventArgs e) { base.OnTextChanged(e); ResizeTextBox(); } private void ResizeTextBox() { Graphics CurrentGraphics; int StringWidth; int MinWidth; int MaxWidth; int MyWidth; string thisText; Font thisFont; SizeF thisSizeF; Size thisSize; CurrentGraphics = this.CreateGraphics(); thisText = this.Text; this...

How to access help?
That office assistant thing is useless to me. It says you can switch it off but how? And where do I find stock standard help? Or does that only come up when you've got the paperclip switched off? In which case, again, how do I switch the thing off? How to modify or remove Office Assistant Help in Office 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/203689/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "abrogard" <abrogard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36DF541B-4845-454E-B610-4BA5DFD28952@mi...

Problem about Sample Database
Dear all, I have a MS CRM license with MSDN. I completly installed MS CRM with organization named "Adventure Works Cycle. I got 6 licenses of Suite Professtional. But when I tried to install sample database following http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/mscrm/mscrm1/m aintain/20_samdb.mspx . It was error in step of add license. I added 8JUNYZUK3U66WXTRP7WE1 and the error screen was shown "You must enter a valid license key". Please help me solve this problem. Thanks !!! dinorex "dinorex" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

MS Outlook Installation Problem
I have installed MS Outlook from my Office 2003 CD. When i open the program up, I cannot get to the Calender. I go to the VIEW menu and I still cannot get to the Calender. i want to use Outlook vive Outlook Express on my home computer. Any suggestions of what i may be doing wrong that wil allow me to see the calender?? Outlook 2003 and Outlook Express are two different programs. Only = Outlook 2003 has a calendar feature. What are the exact symptoms that = you see when you click on the Calendar button in Outlook 2003?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Prog...

Event date problem with Entourage calendar
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop When trying to add an event in the calendar, the date defaults to January 5, 2010, and won't let you change it to the current date, or the date of the day that the event is being created on. Any suggestions? Same thing happened to me when I first used Entourage calendar. I fixed it by checking the date/time set up under Apple preferences. Sure enough, the date was set wrong. Hope this helps. ...

Include top nav abr problem
Hi all, I have a website with an "Include_top" with a nav bar. This renders OK on all but 1 page on main site and subsite. http://www.gundogs-wales.co.uk/Gundogtest/Lakeside_Link.htm and http://www.gundogs-wales.co.uk/Lakeside_Link.htm I have tried removing and reinstalling the "Include_top" page to no effect. can anyone help please TIA Teriel9 Looks like you are missing the style sheet link in the head section in both pages at http://www.gundogs-wales.co.uk/Lakeside_Link.htm add <link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="te...

problem retaining cursor on same position in subform
Hi, I have a main form with a Combobox and a subform that use to display relate record when the combobox is selected. In the subform, I have a button to open another form (frmEditCommune) for editing specific record. When finish editing and closing the frmEditCommune form, I want the subform to requery and retain the cursor on the current record. The code below did requery/refresh the content but move the cursor to the first row of the subform. Could anyone advice how to maintain the cursor to the previuos position in the subform? Dim rst As DAO.Recordset Dim strCriteria As S...

Help with RecordSetClone
Hello, this is my first attempt at using recordsetclone to look at the same field on a continuous form and update the field. I have looked at other examples on this forum and put together the below code but I keep getting an "invalid argument 3001 error" when it reaches the first .FindNext. With Me!subfrmPersons.Form.RecordsetClone .Bookmark = Me!subfrmPersons.Form.Bookmark .FindNext Me!subfrmPersons.Form![DOB] MsgBox Me!subfrmPersons.Form![DOB] 'for testing only If Not IsNull(Me!subfrmPersons.Form![DOB]) Then Me!subfrmPersons.Form! [Age]...

Problem with reading Reminders in Outlook 2003
Every time I start Outlook 2003 a pop-up message appears: "There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders. Some reminders may not appear. Cannot locate recurrence information for this appointment." How do I get rid of this annoying pop- up message? I have tried to take all my reminders that I could find out of my calendar, the message still appears. What do I need to do? Has anyone experience similar problem. How do I get rid off this pop-up message. Many thanks for your help. Martin. Martin <martin@kellyville.org.au> wrote: > Every time I start Outlook 2003 a...

Visual Studio 2005 , WM_INITDIALOG does not exist?
I am using Visual Studio 2005. I wanted to create a control in the onInitDialog an dnot from resource editor. I am not able to map this class message maps to WM_ONINITDIALOG. Can someone help me or should I have to hard coded? Thanks Bhargs <bhargavi_ks2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1148480259.520809.247830@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am using Visual Studio 2005. > If it's not in the Messages property, look for it in Overrides. -- Jeff Partch [VC++ MVP] Thanks Jeff. YES got it , but the actual place to create control hardcoded should be in OnCreate and...