Very easy question about filter!!!

Hi guys,

I am trying to do something that looks simple but I can't figure out.
I am trying to copy for a third column the names that match from the
first two columns. for example:

1� column         2� column
Nina                      john
john                      Ryan
smith                    Sherry
bob                       chuck
carlos                    bob
chuck                    sam
andrea

I would like to have a third column if john, chuck and bob's name.
If somebody have this info, please let me know.
thanks, Will

--
Wilmarjr
Wilmarjr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23609

From Chip Pearson's website:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#HighlightingDuplicates
Extracting Values Common To Two Lists

You can easily extract values that appear in both of two lists. Suppose your
lists are in A1:A10 and B1:B10. Enter the following array formula in the
first cell of the range which is to contain the common entries:

=IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,B1)>0,B1,"")

Change B1 and $A$1:$A$10   to the first cells in the ranges from which data
that you want to extract common items.  Then, use Fill Down (from the Edit
menu) to fill the formula down to as many rows as you need to hold the common
entries (i.e., up to as many rows as there are in the original range.)

BTW, to enter an array, type in the formula then hit Ctrl-Shift-Enter.

When you get a chance, you should check out Chip's full site at...
http://www.cpearson.com/
HTH,
--
Gary Brown
gary_brown@ge_NOSPAM.com

"Wilmarjr" wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am trying to do something that looks simple but I can't figure out.
> I am trying to copy for a third column the names that match from the
> first two columns. for example:
>
> 1º column         2º column
> Nina                      john
> john                      Ryan
> smith                    Sherry
> bob                       chuck
> carlos                    bob
> chuck                    sam
> andrea
>
> I would like to have a third column if john, chuck and bob's name.
> If somebody have this info, please let me know.
> thanks, Will
>

> --
> Wilmarjr
> Wilmarjr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23609
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=382552

0
gary_brown (76)
6/27/2005 5:29:04 PM
Take a look at

   http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#ExtractingCommon

In article <Wilmarjr.1raoit_1119891971.2665@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 Wilmarjr <Wilmarjr.1raoit_1119891971.2665@excelforum-nospam.com>
 wrote:

> I am trying to do something that looks simple but I can't figure out.
> I am trying to copy for a third column the names that match from the
> first two columns. for example:
>
> 1� column         2� column
> Nina                      john
> john                      Ryan
> smith                    Sherry
> bob                       chuck
> carlos                    bob
> chuck                    sam
> andrea
>
> I would like to have a third column if john, chuck and bob's name.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Intelligent Message Filter not working
Hi All, I am having a battle to get intelligent message filtering working. I have installed SP2, changed the reg to download updates, configured the default SMTP server to use IMF, set my thresholds, but nothing is being filtered. When I check the events log, there are no logs for any filter events. I have re-started the SMTP service and the server, but still nothing. Is there anything I can check to see what is happening or not happening? Many thanks in advance. Download Microsoft Exchange Server Intelligent Message Filter v2 Operations Guide. You find a few ways to monitor using even...

Question about IAccessible in MSAA
Hai, Can IAccessible interface be used for ActiveX Controls like FlexGrid etc.. Actually the MSDN doccumentation says that IAccessible can be used for UI Elements and iam looking to use IAccessible for ActiveX (Flexgrid) and its giving an error and can any one please help me in that Thanks and Regards suresh ...

Question about getting OS language version in VC++
Dear all, I am writting an application with VC++. I want to ask how to obtain the information of the language version of the Window OS ? For example, for Window 2000 English version, how to know that the Window 2000 is in "English" version even if the locale setting in control panel is set to Chinese or other non-English language. If anyone knows this issue, can you tell me what method can get this information. Urgent, Thanks. Thanks, Benny Take a look at the GetSystemDefaultLCID() API. Use LANGIDFROMLCID & PRIMARYLANGID macros to get the language id from ...

Product question
Hi We have a client who retails lengths of material. These are sold uncut, however they also cut to order and due to the cost of the material retain the 'offcut' lenghts as stock for future sales. As this process effectively creates multiple single unit stock items we need a simple way of handling these. Thanks in advance. As you have described it, there does not seem to be anything out of the ordinary. You can use meters or yards (or other) as your unit of measure and additionally use lot tracking to manage your inventory. However, I know that fabric businesses have other need...

Filtering in the page field of a pivot table
I have two separate fields in the page field section of my pivot table. How can I set it up so that once you have chosen a value in the drop down box of the first field, only values relating to the first field appear in the drop down box of the second ? At the moment all values appear in the drop down box of the second field, regardless of what you have chosen in the first. Hope this makes sense ! There's no setting that will filter one page field based on the selection in another page field. Tim wrote: > I have two separate fields in the page field section of my > piv...

split question
Hello I want to split several lines of text in the TXT file "d:\Names.txt" They are seperated with an asterix (*). Like that: one*two three*four five*six seven *eight Please remember the added space after seven and after eight. I want to search for "seven " with a trailing space and replace it with "eight " with a trailing space. I have tried that: Const sNames = "d:\Names.txt" Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set oNames = oFSO.OpenTextFile(sNames) aNames = Split(oNames.ReadAll, VbCrLf) I tr...

Creating Access 2007 Database Question
I am not sure where to post this question. I remember finding a forum just for Microsoft Access 2007 questions, but I couldn't find it again... Indifferent Anyway, I have created a database, and have been testing it with my application. I have some data in this database. I was wondering if there was a way in Microsoft Access 2007 to create an empty copy of the database for release. In other words, I would like to create a copy of the database with all of the tables and columns, but without the data (rows) that I had entered as part of using my testing database... Does anyone...

Outlook Junk Filter- I have it on Safe List
I'm running Outlook 2003 with the latest update. Looking at my Safe Sender's list, there are only email addresses and all appear to be valid to me. I have checked automatically trust email from my Contacts list and automatically add people that I email to the Safe Sender's List. Same with Safe Recipients List. I have one blocked sender (that idiot- support@citibank) and have done nothing with Internationsl settings. I HAVE created several rules that mainly block certain words in the body. I'm puzzled as to why, with that tight level of filtering, why so much still gets...

Some HQ Questions
I have 3 questions related to HQ What is the easiest way to create a custom report? i.e. start a report from scratch rather than using the pre-defined ones Is there a way to view a global picture of what item quantities are in each store and have functionality in the same screen to perform inventory transfer? Is it possible to have a store which has quantities of stock at different locations. My client stores some stock in the store where he sells but then also has stock stored the warehouse? How can the client keep note of what quantities are stored in the store itself and which quantite...

Scatter Chart Question
I have scatter charts where I have used Boveys addin to label the = points. The labels are numbers and all works as it should. My question: Is there anyway to use the labels (numbers) as the points themselves? By this I mean use the figure itself as the point thus combining the x & = y location on the chart and its sequence in the series with a single = item. Stuart - You can use the Center option for the position of the label, so the label is centered over the point. You can format the series to have no markers at all, but I like to use a square large enough to hide any gridlines or ser...

VC++ Question
This is a VC++ question ... I used "cl.exe" to build a hello world program, the object file and the exe file are different every time for the same source code ("fc" command was used to comparisons). Why is that? Thanks. (a) that is a silly thing to do. There is a nice IDE that makes it unnecessary to explictly run cl.exe (b) why do you care? (c) it is probably some internal timestamp. (This assumes you have invoked it identically each time you invoke it) [There are some things in the world that are completely unworthy of worrying about. I've been programming with ...

Performance question
Will a mailstore on a smaller database (30GB) perform better than one on a larger database (100GB)? Why or why not? I'm not sure I understand your question. The store IS the database. "SilverICE" <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5AABA67C-00A0-496D-95A8-7B1739D184AF@microsoft.com... > Will a mailstore on a smaller database (30GB) perform better than one on a > larger database (100GB)? Why or why not? There is no valid answer without more details. This is much too general of a question. The only answer that can be provided is &quo...

Saving question
How do I get a macro to create a new folder and save 3 different files into it. I can get the autosave to work but not quite sure on how to save into a new directory or even if you can??\ Thanks again Greg actually create a macro for this and you can modify it as vba Greg B <browshop@ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:d069ci$ntc$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > How do I get a macro to create a new folder and save 3 different files into > it. > > I can get the autosave to work but not quite sure on how to save into a new > directory or even if you can??\ > > Thanks ag...

question about windows media player
i have a question about windows media player. the version is 9.00.00.4507. my computer system is microsoft windows XP professional version 2002 service pack 3. when i'm trying to use windows media player the computer says: windows media player can't play the video because there is a problem with you're sound system. maybe there is no sounsd system installed on your computer, or the sound system is used by another program or it doesn't work right. i think the last one is the problem. but how can i fix this? ...

Here's an easy one........saving when populated
I have a sheet that needs to save everytime a certain range of cells i populated. whenever something is typed in a4:iv4, I would like it t save without prompting. It would also be great if it could save as th value of a3. If anyone has a fix for this, I would greatly appreciat the help. Have a great day everyone, and thanks......Vato -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Might be nice to know how it is populated and if iv4 always has to be filled out. Otherwise, you might be saving on each entry. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Vato Loco >" <...

What does that pale blue envelope with a red question mark on it mean?
It shows up in the column marked "!". I have been using Money for years and never saw it once until this month, when it started appearing for a few of my transactions. I checked in Help but couldn't find anything about it. AL from the online help file Money detects if you enter similar transactions on multiple occasions and marks the transactions in the register with a <Blue envelope with red ?> to flag them as potentially recurring. These marked transactions will also be listed on the Accounts & Bills view of the Home page under Potential Recurring Transacti...

Newbie question #6
Hi, I have an assignment where I have to read in /append records from a TSV text file into an existing Access database, then write the Access records to another TSV file. I have the basic interface & navigation for the existing db completed but I'm at a loss as to how to read in or write back values to a TSV file. Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Jim wrote: > Hi, > I have an assignment where I have to read in /append records from a TSV > text file into an existing Access database, then write the Access > records to another TSV file. I have the b...

Quick question about Outlook 2003 Process not stopping
I know I just gave a big compliment about the great Junk filter. But I do have one minor problem totally unrelated. Ocassionaly, when I close Outlook 2003. The 'Outlook' process continues to run until I go into Task Manager and stop it manually. Then it's fine for several days, and then it does it again. No set pattern, just once in a while. No big deal really, but I would like to fix it all the same. Any ideas why this is happeneing, and what I can do to prevent it? Thanks. Look for 3rd party tools that sync/utilize Outlook data. For example, Outlook will stay resident with ...

Perplexing question
I have been using Money in one form or another from 2000. I now am running 2006. I have a slightly different question from the standard Archive question... I dont want to keep the transactions from prior years. Say every transaction before 1/1/2006 I would like to delete. And then I would like to delete all the empty and ancient accounts that have been canceld or, as in the asset case like a House, sold. I am trying to not loose all the account information. I do not want to have to reenter all the addresses, passwords, and the good transaction data from 2006 forward. I...

Outlook 2003 Macro question
Is there an easy way to change the default email account using a Macro rather than going through TOOLS/OPTIONS, etc. I notice that Outlook doesn't support the recording of macros from keystrokes as do some othe rOffice applications. Regards Les No, there is no way to change the default email account using an Outlook = macro. The necessary objects just aren't exposed in VBA.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administra...

filtering rows w/ VBA

labels for filtered forms
Help the desperate newbie! Did I design my database wrong? I created a form with basic name, address etc. then also include about 10 yes/no boxes to be selected depending on the type of client, some clients have no boxes checked, some have one and some have several. I see how to filter the form to search it- and that narrows it down, but when I run a report for labels every name comes up! How do I run mailing labels for a filtered result? If you created your form before you had any tables for data, then yes, you did it backwards. Access is a relational database ... it all ...

CRM V3 Registration Questions
We are preparing to upgrade to CRM V3. I have set up a test environment with V3 to make sure all our customtizations work and to get used to the changes before rolling it out to the masses. I see that V3 has to be registered within 30 days of install. If i register the software on my test environment, will that prevent me from installing/registering on my production environment? (similar to an XP registration) If it does what are people doing for test environements? I really dont want to have to ghost the machine and load it back every 30 days to do development for in house stuff. ...

Basic Excel question, entering data masks/cover two cells
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a basic question with respect to entering data into excel on the Mac version of Excel. When I enter data (number or text), the enter box covers the cell where the entry is going and the cell above it. How do I force Excel to just occupy the cell that I want the entry to go in? I know there must be a quick setting that corrects this issue. On 5/3/10 9:50 AM, TerpGT@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel I have a basic question wit...

related question concerning Access reports and VB modules
If I have a function in a module that generates variables and then calls a report, can I reference those variables in the report directly, without having to write them to a table or elsewhere first? For instance, in a text box within the report design view, can I enter a text box control source as: function([variablename]) ? Basically, the purpose of the function is to scan various tables for data problems and then keep track of occurences. Since I did wrote that code directly in VB without using queries or SQL, i'd prefer not to have to redo it. And the variables are already populat...