very custom formats

I need help with a custom format

If I enter the numbers 123 I want it to display 12-3 in the cell.  (i.e simple custom format ##-#

But if I also want to be able to enter 123A into the same cell and have it display 12-3A (where A could be any letter A-Z)..

What would my custom format need to look like in order to do that
Or is there a better approach?
0
anonymous (74722)

Not sure you can do what you want because the alphabetic character means the
value is no longer numeric, hence a custom number format won't work

Regards

Trevor

"mrdigithead" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need help with a custom format.
>
> If I enter the numbers 123 I want it to display 12-3 in the cell.  (i.e
simple custom format ##-#)

> But if I also want to be able to enter 123A into the same cell and have it
display 12-3A (where A could be any letter A-Z)...

> What would my custom format need to look like in order to do that?
> Or is there a better approach?

0
Trevor9259 (673)

How do I change the category axis number formatting in a Pivot Ch.
I have created a Pivot Chart from Excel data (Excel 2000) and I need to figure out how to change the category axis number formatting. Currently, the dates in the chart are showing up in long form (01/01/2005) and I would like to change this to something shorter like 1/01. I changed the formatting of the data in the original raw data and then in the Pivot Table, but neither of these seemed to change the Pivot Chart formatting. When I right click on the category axis, I do not get the option the change the number formatting (I do for the value axis however). ...

Custom titlebar during hanging
Hi, I implemented in my application a custom titlebar by overriding WM_NCPAINT WM_NCCALCSIZE (i have a smaller titlebar). Everything works ok, with one exception: if the application hangs, the default window titlebar appears. During the hang i can spy (using the Spy tool) the messages of the window, so i see that messages are still coming. During the hang I tried to move the window around, maximize, minimize so the title bar is invalidated but it seems that it doesnt go anymore through my WM_NCPAINT message. Any idea ? Thanks "andrewn" <andrewn@wrk> wrote in message news...

Custom Reports!
I want to know if it is possible to create a report to calculate the average quantity sold and average sales amount per transaction. How could I go about generating a report like that? Where would I get the total number of sales transactions, units sold, sales amount, for a particular time period? OK, when you log into Customer or Partner Source Select Downloads & Updates frrom the left side, then Reports Library. If you do not have access to CustomerSource let me know and I will get the report and email it to you tomorrow. -- Jocelyn "AJAJ" wrote: > No, I'm...

Custum Cell Format
I have an array formula which automatically summarizes all available values of a certain column, in ascending order. The summary is fixed to a maximum of 8 cells and in many cases it uses less than the available 8 columns. Is it possible to format the cells by showing a 0 when the result/cell is empty In other cells in the sheet the cells show empty instead of a zero by using the custom format of 0;-0;"" Now I want an empty cell to show 0 Thanks, W -- willemeulen Blink1 *Willem van der Meulen* BSc Soil & Water Eng (Netherlands) ----------------------------------------...

Converting Publisher Files to PDF Format
When I try to convert Publisher files to PDF format I get a message that says "The size of the paper you have chosen is too small to show the printer markings", but when my commercial printing guy takes my same Publisher files and converts them, it works. What am I doing wrong. I've already talked to Adobe and they think that my Acrobat Distiller is set up properly. I have Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard, Windows XP Professional, Publisher 2003 and an IBM desktop with 260 gigabytes of memory ediejensen wrote: > When I try to convert Publisher files to PDF format I get a mess...

Manage quotes, orders and invoices between suppliers and customers
I am studying the implementation of CRM 3.0 in the company where I work. I encounter a problem concerning the treatment of the quotes, orders and invoices between customers and suppliers; here an example: The company sells computer equipments and Operate with several suppliers. To provide a quote to a customer it receives several quotes of the various suppliers and thus a customer quote can be generated starting from several suppliers quotes (in the same way for the orders and the invoices). What interests me is to be able to mention that a quote X (received from a customer) is based o...

Custom Views (Project Professional 2007)
Hi, my company is using Project Professional and Project Server 2007. We have created two custom views in Project Professional and ever now and then the views some how get mixed up. For example, we've made Table A and Table B and put Table A in view A and Table B in view B. Some how Table B ends up being the view for View A instead of Table A. At first we thought maybe one of the PMs was accidently changing the view but it has also done it over night when no one had been working on it. Have you ever heard of such a glitch? I think that was a problem. With Project 2007 ...

Conditional Formatting of Bar Charts
I've got a bar chart in an Excel 2007 worksheet that needs to have bars colored conditionally. I can do this manually -- by clicking on the Chart Format ribbon, then clicking on the bar, and then clicking the "Fill Color" icon on the ribbon. But surely there's a way to automate this?! The Conditional Formatting feature is not available for charts. When I try to use the Macro Recorder, this step simply doesn't get recorded. I've spent a great deal of time with VBA, trying to find a chart bar object of some kind with a Fill.BackColor property. I can't fi...

Conditional Formatting Help #5
What if I have 4 conditions that I want to input? Excel is only lettin me input up to 3. Is there any way of adding a 4th -- sabunab ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sabunabu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2939 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49112 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011366251033.asp -- sabunab ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sabunabu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinf...

Document Map Format Issue
I have a large document that has about 230 pages in it. As I built the document I would use the document map pane to help manage the document. As the document grew in size, I started to have problems with Document Map. If the Doc Map window was open when I attempted to open the my document, the document map would not contain the proper information with respect to my headings. All text in the doc map window is left justtified and it appears to be randomly including test in the document map that are not designated header styles. If I closed the doc map window then closed word, ...

Custom Report
Hi, I need to add a new custom report in CRM. Can I do this? If yes, kindly let me know the steps. Thanks in advance, Jaison. To add a new report, (or to customise and existing report) you need to have Crystal Reports v9.2.2.2 (For CRM v1.2). This is a separate product and can be purchased. The Crystal that comes with CRM only allows you to view the providd reports. HTTH Gill >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I need to add a new custom report in CRM. Can I do this? If yes, kindly let >me know the steps. > >Thanks in advance, >Jaison. > > >. >...

Cell formatting behaviour question
Hey guys, I have 2 related cases that I dont understand how to get Excel formatting to work: 1. If I imported or copied rows of data (numerical) from another file (Word or Access) into Excel, the data is presented as raw numbers in each cell. Now I apply a formatting (i.e. I want comma separation for thousands, etc.) and it will not show up. However, if i then double-click inside a cell (as if to edit the contents directly), then hit enter the formatting I want shows up... but only that cell. I have hundreds of rows and I really need to force excel to display the formatting i want immediately...

Converting access report to pdf format
hi I wrote a database that, among other things, prints a variety of reports for my clients. Once each report is done, I run a program called pdfWriter to convert each report to a pdf file. (When this program is installed, I select the printer called pdfWriter then print the file. It doesn't actually print a physical copy but saves the file in pdf format.) Then I e-mail these pdf reports to the clients. What I'm looking for are ways that I could automate this process from Access. Can this be done? If so, could someone point me in the right direction. Any clues would be grea...

date format in Excel 2001
I have Office 2001 installed on a 14" iBook running OS9.2.2. I am having a problem with the date format in Excel: my "date and time" control panel is set to use dates in the d/m/yy format, but Excel only recognises dates entered as m/d/yy. How can this be fixed? In article <8b8501c37ee4$9df7c590$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "fgraver" <fgraver@cdnfilmcentre.com> wrote: > I have Office 2001 installed on a 14" iBook running > OS9.2.2. I am having a problem with the date format in > Excel: my "date and time" control panel is set to use dates...

Custom Views #2
I have a workbook with a worksheet for each day then another worksheet that summarizes the info from each day. I have also created custom views on the "summary" worksheet which hide columns and has print settings These custom view work fine if there is no protection set on any of the worksheets but do not work if protection is set on any or all of the worksheets Any clues ?? Protection of cells is a priority Thanks Jules Hi Jules The easy way around this is some small macros that unprotects, displays and protects. Assign a drawing toolbar textbox or a forms toolbar button t...

convert text "20100315" to date format
Hi, I have some data exported from a system, the date is a text displayed as "20100315" which should read yyyymmdd. I need to convert this text to another date format showing mm/dd/yyyy in text for importing into another system. As the text format yyyymmdd does not contain any "/" or "-" so using text to column will be a difficulty. Please advise how could I handle this. Thanks a lot. Best Regards, Terry =TEXT(DATE(LEFT(A1,4),MID(A1,5,2),RIGHT(A1,2)),"mm-dd-yyyy") and copy paste special-values. -- Regards Dave Hawle...

number formatting #3
Hi, I would like to get some expert help:) I would like to eliminate any unnecessery 0 from numbers. e.g.: instead of 0.00347 i want to se 3.47 How can I form the cell to get this form? ( without any multiplying ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com <"( without any multiplying)"> How about dividing ? =A1/0.001 <bg> -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may b...

Query optimization advice for custom 12-column sales detail report
Hey all, I am designing a web-based 12-column sales report that will display 12 user specified periods across the top, items down the left, and the total sales for each period. The report will also suggest an order quantity based on sales. It is great for tracking how well an item was maintained (i.e. an item that was selling 100 / week suddenly drops to 0....oops!). The program will also allow users to set order reminders, and even place their order from the report. Anyway, it will be nice. The problem is that the report takes about 30 seconds per manufacturer for three months of data. Not...

Cell border format.
When I say no border for a cell I still see a light grey line in some places at the cell border. What is that and how do I get rid of it? Thanks, Mike Mike I suspect it's the grid lines. Select Tools | Options | View tab and unselect Grid lines Regards Trevor "Mike Klick" <mike@grayce.net> wrote in message news:OAKAzrv9DHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > When I say no border for a cell I still see a light grey line in some places > at the cell border. What is that and how do I get rid of it? > > Thanks, > > Mike > > You can also add a bu...

Re: Format Program for Hard Drive With Some Bad Clusters 04-23-10
Hi, Thanks to everyone who tried to help with my quest. This Seagate HDD was used very little since I bought it new about 6 years ago. I bought it as a spare. It was in storage in a protective case and free of vibration for over 5 years, and it wasn't "mis-handled". When I first bought it, I formatted it with one 20G partition without any errors. It was recently, I took it out of storage and I decided to partition it into two logical drives (C: & D:). It was while formatting the second partition that all this trouble started. The first partition is...

Customizing Outlook Today (OL2000) with XP Professional
I just added a new Dell Inspiron notebook with XP Professional to my stable of computers and installed MS Office 2000 on it. All (Excel, Powerpoint, Word and Outlook)works fine except I cannot customize my Outlook Today. Works correctly on my desktop that does not have XP. Is this a XP thing and is there anything I can do without having to upgrade to more current version? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:030801c3d3e2$0e98f240$a601280a@phx....

Undefined function 'Format$' in expression.
Dear all, I've converted my db from 97 to 2k. When I tried to run a Query, above mentioned message pops up. It seems like there's no such function of Formst$ (change date format) in Access2k? Or it's about conversion error? Also, I can view my VB codes after conversion. Appreciate someone to help. Thanks. Hi Mike, This normally means something has gone with references in the VBA project. See http://members.rogers.com/douglas.j.steele/AccessReferenceErrors.html for details and how to fix it. On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 03:24:26 -0700, "Mike Oh" <mike_oh@memwire.com> ...

Excel auto format
Is there a way to make changes to the canned auto formats in Excel 2002? I am working with pivot tables and want to change or create an auto format. Not that I am aware of. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Joe Mathis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15A07D39-E8DC-4BE1-A391-8D2253592E4E@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to make changes to the canned auto formats in Excel 2002? I am working with pivot tables and want to change or create an auto format. ...

formatting pivot chart bar colour
Hello all, I am trying to create a timeline that shows cycle times of a machin in graphical form. At present I have the table set out as below, I then create a pivo chart showing the seperate processes stacked giving a total time. When the process number is the same (say load) I would like all part of the stack that are procees 1 to be the same colour, at the momen all the different processes show a different colour. I know you can change them individually but I may have hundreds o charts to do and would only be feasible if the colours were automati according to say the process number. ste...