variable "speed" of excel operations

I hope someone can explain this to me.....
Why is it that Excel operations such as merge cell, or fill, etc.... takes
so long on one file, and then speeds like a demon on another file?
There's no rhyme/reason that I've been able to identify thus far.
I.e., one file that has lots of worksheets will work through the operations
really fast, and then another with only a couple of worksheets will move
along like a snail, as though it has 50 things it has to do before it gets to
what I've selected.
Then, the next one will be a lot of worksheets, and it moves really slow, to
the point where I can leave for 5 minutes, go walk around the floor I work
on, and get back and it's STILL working.
It doesn't matter if I've saved it between working or not. It doesn't matter
if I'm doing a macro that I've created or not.
My system is a P4, 3Ghz, with 1gb ram, and I'm running XP-Pro, SP3 so that's
not the issue. At least I hope not.
Oh, and yes, I'm using Office 2007, SP2.
This has gotten past ridiculous, so if someone can provide me with a
reasonable explanation it'd be really nice.

Thank you.

There is no one silver bullet answer. Check out this link for som clues on
what is going on under the covers...

http://www.decisionmodels.com/index.htm
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Steve" wrote:

> I hope someone can explain this to me.....
> Why is it that Excel operations such as merge cell, or fill, etc.... takes
> so long on one file, and then speeds like a demon on another file?
> There's no rhyme/reason that I've been able to identify thus far.
> I.e., one file that has lots of worksheets will work through the operations
> really fast, and then another with only a couple of worksheets will move
> along like a snail, as though it has 50 things it has to do before it gets to
> what I've selected.
> Then, the next one will be a lot of worksheets, and it moves really slow, to
> the point where I can leave for 5 minutes, go walk around the floor I work
> on, and get back and it's STILL working.
> It doesn't matter if I've saved it between working or not. It doesn't matter
> if I'm doing a macro that I've created or not.
> My system is a P4, 3Ghz, with 1gb ram, and I'm running XP-Pro, SP3 so that's
> not the issue. At least I hope not.
> Oh, and yes, I'm using Office 2007, SP2.
> This has gotten past ridiculous, so if someone can provide me with a
> reasonable explanation it'd be really nice.
>
> Thank you.
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the response.
In reading some of this, I remember now having asked this question set
before.
I have in fact turned off journaling-- something that seemed cool when I
first saw it, but I realized at a certain point it was useless.
Have also cleaned out the tmp files. Will see how that works. I remember
having to do that weekly with Win95, and 98. Had all but forgotten about it
for XP.
I've book marked the link for future reading as well.
It's just really frustrating to have it be so inconsistent. I could more
easily understand if there was something such as large files were the only
ones that slowed way down, or if the data was really convoluted, etc....
But based on what I've identified so far-- after 4 years of daily working
with excel-- it's mostly having to do with selecting multiple cells, merging,
and setting fill color, alignment, etc..... on a single sheet. It doesn't
even matter if I only select one cell group-- single column, 4 rows-- and
then merge, it acts as though it's got a flu or cold of monumental
proportions, and can't get out of bed to even go to the bathroom, or grab a
glass of water.

Well, I closed the excel files, cleaned out the temp files, checked for more
temp files elsewhere, and cleaned them out. It's still running like the
snail.......
sigh......

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

> There is no one silver bullet answer. Check out this link for som clues on
> what is going on under the covers...
>
> http://www.decisionmodels.com/index.htm
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "Steve" wrote:
>
> > I hope someone can explain this to me.....
> > Why is it that Excel operations such as merge cell, or fill, etc.... takes
> > so long on one file, and then speeds like a demon on another file?
> > There's no rhyme/reason that I've been able to identify thus far.
> > I.e., one file that has lots of worksheets will work through the operations
> > really fast, and then another with only a couple of worksheets will move
> > along like a snail, as though it has 50 things it has to do before it gets to
> > what I've selected.
> > Then, the next one will be a lot of worksheets, and it moves really slow, to
> > the point where I can leave for 5 minutes, go walk around the floor I work
> > on, and get back and it's STILL working.
> > It doesn't matter if I've saved it between working or not. It doesn't matter
> > if I'm doing a macro that I've created or not.
> > My system is a P4, 3Ghz, with 1gb ram, and I'm running XP-Pro, SP3 so that's
> > not the issue. At least I hope not.
> > Oh, and yes, I'm using Office 2007, SP2.
> > This has gotten past ridiculous, so if someone can provide me with a
> > reasonable explanation it'd be really nice.
> >
> > Thank you.
Certain actions do take a long time to execute. Some formatting is
particularily bad. Instead of merging cells try

Format | Cells | Aligment -> Horizontal -> Center Across Selection

Looks like merged but actually is not. None of the downsides of a merged
cell either.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Steve" wrote:

> [...]
> > > I.e., one file that has lots of worksheets will work through the operations
> > > really fast, and then another with only a couple of worksheets will move
> > > along like a snail, as though it has 50 things it has to do before it gets to
> > > what I've selected.
> > > Then, the next one will be a lot of worksheets, and it moves really slow, to
> > > the point where I can leave for 5 minutes, go walk around the floor I work
> > > on, and get back and it's STILL working.
> > > It doesn't matter if I've saved it between working or not. It doesn't matter
> > > if I'm doing a macro that I've created or not.
> > > My system is a P4, 3Ghz, with 1gb ram, and I'm running XP-Pro, SP3 so that's
> > > not the issue. At least I hope not.
> > > Oh, and yes, I'm using Office 2007, SP2.
> > > This has gotten past ridiculous, so if someone can provide me with a
> > > reasonable explanation it'd be really nice.

Controlling Drag Speed
Can you control the speed that Excel applies when doing such as Dragging to Select a Range? Sometimes it moves slow enough to stop where you want, other times it goes so fast you could stop where you wanted no matter how hard you try. I'd like to be able to slow it down sometimes. I'm hoping there is a key-action that maybe can be used for that purpose. I'm not sure you can, but you can do a couple of other things to lessen the irritation. Select one corner (topleft?) and hit F8 to EXTend the range (notice the statusbar display helping you!). Use the scrollbars to mov...

Two PCs; different delivery speed
I currently have two PCs in my office. Both run Outlook 2002. One runs on 2000 Pro, the other XP Pro (SP2). Occasionally I end up with Outlook open on both machines. Messages consistently arrive 20-30 seconds sooner on my 2000 box than they do on the XP box. The Exchange 2000 server and these two PCs are all on the same network subnet. The Instant Messaging option in Outlook's configuration is not enabled. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this difference in delivery? Regards, Todd ...

Query Speed
Hi there! I am setting up a database for our branch offices to use in a distributed (FE/BE) format, and am wondering which would be better for speed: 1. A distinct table for each branch, with a UNION ALL query forming the basis for regional/countrywide reports. 2. One massive data table that queries would launch SQL against. Thanks! -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/201003/1 One table - please! Union queries are slow and inefficient. Union All is somewhat faster but there's always a chance of dupli...

dramatically speed up formula calculations
Hi there, I'm in need of source code for an application that allows me to parse it basic excel formula, which will then return the computed value. The objective is to dramatically speed up formula calculations. Thanks. *****Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training & Add-ins. Free Excel Forum & Business Software***** Hi probably not quite what you're looking for but have a look at http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecrets.htm for more information about speeding up your calculations -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany rich wrote: > Hi there, I...

Slow application speed in an MDI application
Hello all, I posted this query before and didn't receive a good answer. I will try again .. I have an existing simulation of a physical process written in C++, origninally for a UNIX based system. The code ran with virtually no modifications as a "console" application on Windows XP/ME/98. I wanted to create a windows based version of this application to provide graphical input and results display. I wrote two application "wrappers" for this code. The first is implemented as a dialog based application. Inpu/Output is via dialog windows only. The simulation core ...

WM 11- how i can change the speed default modifiers: x 0.5 and X
These values do not suit me. Lecture en cours/Ameliorations/Paramètres de vitesse de lecture: "Slow" réduit la vitesse à *0.5 "Fast" augmente le vitesse à *1.4 I cannot use the cursor to adjust the speed, I can just toggle the speed with the Ctrl+Shift+G, Ctrl+Shift+S key shortcuts. => When launching WM 11, I want to specifie less drastic speed modifiers values (0.9 in place of 0.5 and 1.1 in place of 0.5 for example). (I have not found the Key shortcut to move the speed slider left and right...) Thank for a trick to do that ...

Processor speed
Hi Does anybody know a method to get a reliable and reasonably acurate(within 10% will do) estimate of processor speed relatively quickly(less than 1 second) that works on NT4, W2k and WXP. Peter Search for that in www.codeproject.com As far as I remember that involves using the RDTSC x86 instruction too. Regards, Elias I found it by searching for RDTSC. Seems like a fairly snazzy bit of code and it certainly got my processor speed right. Cheers Peter >-----Original Message----- >Search for that in www.codeproject.com > >As far as I remember that involves using the RD...

Macro Speed
I was wondering if anyone knows how to make a macro run faster. Currently, I run a macro to do a VLOOKUP for 20,000 lines and th VLOOKUP is getting information from a report that is 50,000 lines long Every time that I run this macro, it takes almost an hour to run. This is due to the cells having to be recalculated. I checked in the options menu and the calculation says automatic so know that the auto calc can not be the problem. Overall, if I have to live with waiting for the macro to finis running, that is what I will have to do, but if there is a way to spee the macro up and cut dow...

Speed of Exchange changes being replicated across AD
Hi All, my setup is 4 hub sites, each hub site has 2 DCs/GCs and one E2k server. The other day one of my support users needed to up the storage limit for a mailbox, so he applied the change on one DC (close to the user) and the change went into effect almost 2 hours later! Can you let me know which part of replication takes care of this and how I could speed it up Thanks, Koum ...

Slow access speed when connecting to SQL Server from Access Front End
Hi, I have an MS access Application Front end which used to communicate to another access database through linked tables.I was given a task to link the front end to SQL Server and when the whole application was linked to SQL Server. now the application front end works but very slow on performance when compared with acess to access version. I am using SQL Server Driver to connect to SQL Server back end. Pls advise what is the reason that the speed is so slow. Thanks, Shaleen SQL server is indeed a high performance system, and also a system that can scale to many many users. If you write ...

Speed up Form with 4 Subforms
Hello, I've got a time card database. Our office uses 4 types of time (Project, Admin, etc). I want to have a form that shows 4 sections -- one section for each type of time. I have successfully built the query that contains summary data for all time. No problem there. Currently, I have 4 sub-forms on the main form -- one subform for each type. On Form_Load, I bind the 4 subforms to the one query, with the "Forecast_Work_Type_Code" field deciding which data goes in which subform: Me!subfrm_Forecast_Summary_User_NonCSD.Form.RecordSource = "SELECT qry_Forecast_Summ...

thread speed
Ok, I'll introduce myself. I'm Lisa and I'm seeking a good --go t site-- for outlook problems. How fast does this site go!? just wondering. Say hello to me...HERE ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Start at slipstick.com and outlook-tips.net -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exc...

Speed of tracking emails vs Localtion of Exchange & CRM Server
The Exchange server with the UK Users mailboxes is located over a 2mpbs VPN in Sweden, a DC, SQL Server and the CRM server is located in the UK. Users often complain about the speed of creating new tracked emails and tracking received emails into CRM from Outlook (we do not use the auto tracking token for firewall reasons). If I setup a second exchange server in the UK and copy users mailboxes over would this make any difference to the tracking problem (I know this would speed up users access to outlook although we use cached exchange mode this already does quite a good job). If I di...

Calculation Speed
For a particularly large excel workbook, the recalulation time is quite long. Any suggestions to reduce calculation times? The following are some things I'm thinking about. Please feel free to comment on their plusses/minuses or add to the list. 1. Use Manual Recalc 2. Break workbook into smaller workbooks 3. Get more CPU 4. Allocate more CPU to Excel. 5. more? Thank you. Mark Hi Mark, I have a web page on the subject. Slow Response, Memory Problems, and Speeding up Excel http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm Charles Williams has a website on the subject, one...

Pivot Table Refresh Speed
Hello. I'm using Excel 2000. I've implemented a pivot table accessing an Access 2000 database. I refresh the data in the pivot table once a week, then email a link to my users. The problem is, whenever I refresh the data in the pivottable, it reads the data 10 rows at a time usually. Sometimes, it reads 70 rows at a time (at a time being about .5 seconds per read). Other times, it's even faster. I have a lot of data, and sometimes the update only takes a few seconds, other times I need to go make some coffee and socialize. Any way to speed this up? I've tried s...

Speeding up a table update
**newb alert** I have a rather basic form, 14 input fields, and about 20 fields total that are used to add items to a table. I inherited this beasty from an old schooler, and have really no idea where to start speeding this form up. It takes on average, 1min47sec to update 1 item. I was poking around in the code for the add button, which does the actual updating to the table. Its got a bunch of dim's at the beginning of the function obviously, and I'm wondering if it would be possible to move these... '[Add part] button Dim rs As Recordset Dim rs1 As Rec...

speed of formulas vs functions
Hi everybody, I'm just wondering if a function like =sum(a5:a15) is evaluated at the same speed as a formula like =a5+a6+a7+a8+a9+a10+a11+a12+a13+a14+a15 I understand that if there is a performance difference it will not be noticed with only one function or formula, but what happens when in a workbook you have thousands of formulas or functions? Any help is greatly appreciated. greets, Sybolt (at the office) HI Sybolt, It is not difficult to test your example. I did 4,193,408 calculations of both formulas and manually clocked them (of course I could have done that programmaticall...

The need for speed
Hi, I'm am running queries to return the postcode. The New Zealand Post have supplied a data file that contains 1,829,432 distinct delivery points. Do you have any suggestions/recommendations to help speed up the performance of a search; particularly over a network. Both the data file and front end are in Access 2003. To add to the mix, some addresses have alternative street names and/or alternative suburb names and/or alternative town names. These alternatives are contained in separate tables. That is if a matching address is not found in the main table, a search is then made for ...

Outlook's mouse wheel scroll speed?
Using MS Trackball Explorer wheelmouse with doubled ended cursor displayed... for a minimal movement, scroll speed is so fast that email cannot be read. How do I slow Outlook's scrolling speed down (working fine with all web pages). -- ICC That would be a function of the mouse driver, not outlook. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exc...

FTP Download Speed
Hi, I've used the following code to download a file from a FTP server within a 100M intranet. It's speed only at eight something kb per second. While I've used the command prompt to get the same file, it takes ten times faster than my program. Here is my code: CInternetSession Sess; CFtpConnection *pFtp; pFtp = NULL; //Create the FTP Connection with the Station Server try { pFtp = Sess.GetFtpConnection(_T("192.168.10.231"), _T("user"), _T("password")); } catch (CInternetException* e) { e->Delete(); return; } if (pFtp == NULL) ...

How do I set up Outlook "2003" to work with Cox Cable High Speed?
I just had Cox Cable High Speed Cable Internet service hooked up. I had no problem sending and receiving e-mail with Outlook Express but I have tried to configure Outlook "2003" to send and receive e-mail with this connection without success! What am I doing wrong? Help! ARMS <ARMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just had Cox Cable High Speed Cable Internet service hooked up. > I had no problem sending and receiving e-mail with Outlook Express but > I have tried to configure Outlook "2003" to send and receive e-mail > with this connection withou...

How can I speed up loading user settings on login?
My Win XP SP3 PC is showing signs of its age and is slowing down. I have improved things to some extent using msconfig to sort out start-up programmes and processes etc, and have tweaked things further with Process Explorer. However things are still extremely slow once the user has logged on, it's a family PC with 4 accounts. How can I tell what is going on after I have logged into my account? There's lots of chatter from the drive, but it takes and age before I see my desktop in full and am able to do anything. TIA. Chris. you can delete the files in the...

Figureing Running Speed in Excel
I am trying to figure my running speed in excel for my own use, this is what I am trying to do. A1 = My running time, don't know if this can be h:m:s, or just has to be in minutes. B1 = Number of miles that I ran today. C1 = MPH, (My running speed for that day) Can someone help me out? Thanks! One approach is to enter your time in hours:minutes:seconds in A1 like: 0:34:12. You might use the Time format (Format, Cells) that appears as "13:30:55" in the number format dialog. You always have to enter the hours, even if 0. Then with the miles in B1 this formula in C1 returns y...

Speed up Item Stock inquiry screen?
Has anyone done anything to speed up the Item Stock inquiry screen? Holy cow, it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to look up items....pretty annoying when you're in a hurry :-) -- Bud Cool Microsoft Certified Business Management Solutions Specialist, GP 9.0 Financials Currently supporting: GP 9.0, SP2 Yeah, it would be nice if you could specify the Site ID before the record search begins . . . Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com ...

Excel 2003 versus Excel 2007 calculation speed
I'm running an interesting test on a PC of Excel 2003 and Excel 2007. I ran a Monte Carlo simulation in Excel 2003. The workbook has 50 input cells (cells where random values per distributions are input) and 200 calculation (formula) cells. So, it is basically a small workbook. No conditional formatting. No charts. The VBA code calculates random values per distributions and puts into the input cells. The workbook is then recalculated and the values of the input and output cells (20 of the formula cells) are recorded. Only cell values are recorded - formatting is not set on ...