Variable Column Lookup

I have three columns to the left column K each has a header with the year
number.  2008, 2009 and 2010.  Underneath each of the three columns I have
numerical data.  On the same header row I have a drop down list in K1.  So
when I pick 2009, I want the calculations in K2, K3 downward to use the
corresponding data in column that has the matching year.

2008    2009    2010    2009 (drop down)
 2	  3	6	3*10

If I choose the drop down of 2008 then the formula should be 2*10
If I choose the drop down of 2010 then the formula should be 6*10

The actual formula is much more complicated involving INDEX/MATCH, but I
think this should relay the idea.

Thanks for any help.

I'd start on Debra Dalgleish site:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html  (for =index(match()))
and
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

On 05/14/2010 09:56, Curly wrote:
> I have three columns to the left column K each has a header with the year
> number.  2008, 2009 and 2010.  Underneath each of the three columns I have
> numerical data.  On the same header row I have a drop down list in K1.  So
> when I pick 2009, I want the calculations in K2, K3 downward to use the
> corresponding data in column that has the matching year.
>
> 2008    2009    2010    2009 (drop down)
>   2	  3	6	3*10
>
> If I choose the drop down of 2008 then the formula should be 2*10
> If I choose the drop down of 2010 then the formula should be 6*10
>
> The actual formula is much more complicated involving INDEX/MATCH, but I
> think this should relay the idea.
>
> Thanks for any help.

0
Dave
5/14/2010 3:05:05 PM
In K2 add this and drag it down...

=index(H2:J2, match($K$1, $H$1:$J$1, 0)) * 10
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Curly" wrote:

> I have three columns to the left column K each has a header with the year
> number.  2008, 2009 and 2010.  Underneath each of the three columns I have
> numerical data.  On the same header row I have a drop down list in K1.  So
> when I pick 2009, I want the calculations in K2, K3 downward to use the
> corresponding data in column that has the matching year.
>
> 2008    2009    2010    2009 (drop down)
>  2	  3	6	3*10
>
> If I choose the drop down of 2008 then the formula should be 2*10
> If I choose the drop down of 2010 then the formula should be 6*10
>
> The actual formula is much more complicated involving INDEX/MATCH, but I
> think this should relay the idea.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for responding and quickly.  Your solution worked.  Thank  you.

In my real application, the headers are actually text.  The drop down says
Net 2009 or Net 2010.  I can work with that by modifying your solution to ...
MATCH(VALUE(RIGHT($K$1,4)),..  However, I do not know how to modify the other
parts when the other three columns also have text.  They are actually labled
"Net Issue 2008", "Net Issue 2009" etc.  Could you help with that
configuration?

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

> In K2 add this and drag it down...
>
> =index(H2:J2, match($K$1, $H$1:$J$1, 0)) * 10
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "Curly" wrote:
>
> > I have three columns to the left column K each has a header with the year
> > number.  2008, 2009 and 2010.  Underneath each of the three columns I have
> > numerical data.  On the same header row I have a drop down list in K1.  So
> > when I pick 2009, I want the calculations in K2, K3 downward to use the
> > corresponding data in column that has the matching year.
> >
> > 2008    2009    2010    2009 (drop down)
> >  2	  3	6	3*10
> >
> > If I choose the drop down of 2008 then the formula should be 2*10
> > If I choose the drop down of 2010 then the formula should be 6*10
> >
> > The actual formula is much more complicated involving INDEX/MATCH, but I
> > think this should relay the idea.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the references at the Dalgleish site.  I have seen them and
are somewhat familiar with the functionality of the lookups.  However, from
that site and others, I could not see how to extend those principles to my
situation - especially when text is involved as my second part of the
question I posed above.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I'd start on Debra Dalgleish site:
> http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html  (for =index(match()))
> and
> http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble
>
> On 05/14/2010 09:56, Curly wrote:
> > I have three columns to the left column K each has a header with the year
> > number.  2008, 2009 and 2010.  Underneath each of the three columns I have
> > numerical data.  On the same header row I have a drop down list in K1.  So
> > when I pick 2009, I want the calculations in K2, K3 downward to use the
> > corresponding data in column that has the matching year.
> >
> > 2008    2009    2010    2009 (drop down)
> >   2	  3	6	3*10
> >
> > If I choose the drop down of 2008 then the formula should be 2*10
> > If I choose the drop down of 2010 then the formula should be 6*10
> >
> > The actual formula is much more complicated involving INDEX/MATCH, but I
> > think this should relay the idea.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> .

Perhaps this will work as a fix.

=index(H2:J2, match("Net Issue " & right($K$1, 4), $H$1:$J$1, 0)) * 10

I have just concatenated the words Net Issue to the front of the year chosen
in K1

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Curly" wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Thank you for responding and quickly.  Your solution worked.  Thank  you.
>
> In my real application, the headers are actually text.  The drop down says
> Net 2009 or Net 2010.  I can work with that by modifying your solution to ...
> MATCH(VALUE(RIGHT($K$1,4)),..  However, I do not know how to modify the other
> parts when the other three columns also have text.  They are actually labled
> "Net Issue 2008", "Net Issue 2009" etc.  Could you help with that
> configuration?
>

> "Jim Thomlinson" wrote:
>
> > In K2 add this and drag it down...
> >
> > =index(H2:J2, match($K$1, $H$1:$J$1, 0)) * 10
> > --
> > HTH...
> >
> > Jim Thomlinson
> >

> > "Curly" wrote:
> >
> > > I have three columns to the left column K each has a header with the year
> > > number.  2008, 2009 and 2010.  Underneath each of the three columns I have
> > > numerical data.  On the same header row I have a drop down list in K1.  So
> > > when I pick 2009, I want the calculations in K2, K3 downward to use the
> > > corresponding data in column that has the matching year.
> > >
> > > 2008    2009    2010    2009 (drop down)
> > >  2	  3	6	3*10
> > >
> > > If I choose the drop down of 2008 then the formula should be 2*10
> > > If I choose the drop down of 2010 then the formula should be 6*10
> > >
> > > The actual formula is much more complicated involving INDEX/MATCH, but I
> > > think this should relay the idea.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help.

That did it!  Very clever.  I wasn't sure if there was such a thing as RIGHT,
LEFT, MID on ranges something like RIGHT(H2:J2,4).

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Curly

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

> Perhaps this will work as a fix.
>
> =index(H2:J2, match("Net Issue " & right($K$1, 4), $H$1:$J$1, 0)) * 10
>
> I have just concatenated the words Net Issue to the front of the year chosen
> in K1
>
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "Curly" wrote:
>
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > Thank you for responding and quickly.  Your solution worked.  Thank  you.
> >
> > In my real application, the headers are actually text.  The drop down says
> > Net 2009 or Net 2010.  I can work with that by modifying your solution to ...
> > MATCH(VALUE(RIGHT($K$1,4)),..  However, I do not know how to modify the other
> > parts when the other three columns also have text.  They are actually labled
> > "Net Issue 2008", "Net Issue 2009" etc.  Could you help with that
> > configuration?
> >

> > "Jim Thomlinson" wrote:
> >
> > > In K2 add this and drag it down...
> > >
> > > =index(H2:J2, match($K$1, $H$1:$J$1, 0)) * 10
> > > --
> > > HTH...
> > >
> > > Jim Thomlinson

You can apply functions to ranges of cells with Array formulas but it's not
worth it in this case...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Curly" wrote:

> That did it!  Very clever.  I wasn't sure if there was such a thing as RIGHT,
> LEFT, MID on ranges something like RIGHT(H2:J2,4).
>
> Your assistance is much appreciated.
>
> Curly
>
> "Jim Thomlinson" wrote:
>
> > Perhaps this will work as a fix.
> >
> > =index(H2:J2, match("Net Issue " & right($K$1, 4), $H$1:$J$1, 0)) * 10
> >
> > I have just concatenated the words Net Issue to the front of the year chosen
> > in K1
> >
> > --
> > HTH...
> >
> > Jim Thomlinson
> >

> > "Curly" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jim,
> > >
> > > Thank you for responding and quickly.  Your solution worked.  Thank  you.
> > >
> > > In my real application, the headers are actually text.  The drop down says
> > > Net 2009 or Net 2010.  I can work with that by modifying your solution to ...
> > > MATCH(VALUE(RIGHT($K$1,4)),..  However, I do not know how to modify the other
> > > parts when the other three columns also have text.  They are actually labled
> > > "Net Issue 2008", "Net Issue 2009" etc.  Could you help with that
> > > configuration?

Fliping the values in columns
Hi I have values in columns A to ...say G. I want to quickly (without retyping the values) flip the order so that what is now in column A appears in column G, what is now in B appear in F etc. How can this be done quickly please? thanks Insert a new row on top, put 1 in A1, 2 in B2 and so to G1, select all values plus the newly inserted values in A1:G1, do data>sort, click options and select left to right, sort by row 1 and choose descending -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "thrava" <thrava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2E671B0-3616-4DCA-811F-1E80668...

Showing totals from two columns
Is there a way to show the totals from two columns? For example, say I have the number 15 in column A and 7 in column B, I need column C to look like this: 15, 7 But instead I can only get them to appear together giving me 157??? Are there any suggestions? Thanks! Try A1 & ", " & B1 Art "Kristin" wrote: > Is there a way to show the totals from two columns? > For example, say I have the number 15 in column A and 7 in column B, I need > column C to look like this: > > ...

Is there a way to split a sheet so columns can be different widths?
I have a bunch of worksheets that have a top part and a bottom part. The top part contains settings for various parmeters. The bottom part is a table showing calculations based on those parameters. The problem is that the parameters often need different column widths than the table. Is there some way to split a sheet into a top part and a bottom part were I can adjust the column widths independently? Column widths and row heights are properties of the entire column and row and cannot be changed. I hesitate to mention "merged cells" due to the problems they can cause. ...

Converting a column of cells to change the text to be capitalized.
I have a user who has a column of names, which are currently all typed in lowercase. It is necessary to have all this data in capital letters. Is it possible to have excel automatically convert all the names in that column to capital letters, without having to type each name over again. Thanks, any help is appreciated. Hi Clayton! If they are all names: Insert a column to the right Use: =UPPER(A1) [Or whatever is the first cell to the left] Copy down Select the new data Copy Edit > Paste Special > Values Delete the old data But I really don't know what I hate most; all uppe...

Business Data Lookup 07-11-06
I have installed the Business Data Lookup add on which is supposed to allow CRM data to be inserted into office documents such as a Word file. Inside of Word 2003, I see a "Insert from CRM" button, but when I click on it, nothing happens. It is just clicked, but no options come up after that. Is this a bug? --- Brandon Office Equipment & Supplies http://www.presentationsdirect.com I think it is. I experienced the same. On top of that it will slow down MS Office heavily. Forget it. "Brandon" wrote: > I have installed the Business Data Lookup add on which...

Variable Functions
I have a spreadsheet that contains a column of numbers. Sometimes I want to know the max of the numbers in the column, sometimes the min, sometimes the average, etc. Is there a way for me to type the word MAX or MIN or AVERAGE or . . . into a cell and have the appropriate value appear right below the word I typed? That would mean that the function would have to be set by the words I type in the cell above where the function is located. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Why not just assign 6 cells to provide this info for you. Enter MAX, MIN, and AVG in 3 cells, and under ea...

An Interesting Question: How to Have Mutliple Variable Input
Greetings! I would like to define a user-function that takes a range (or Yes/No values) as input, and returns a 1 if any of the values is yes. I'm something like thinking... FUNCTION YorN (choices) yorn=0 counter=1 to length(choices) yorn=yorn.OR.index(choices(counter)="YES") Next counter End Function I know the syntax is wrong -- can someone help me out? Thanks.../Randy Hi try =--(COUNTIF(A1:A100,"yes")>0) without using VBA at all -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Randy Numbers" <ran@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4Hk1d.3...

stacked column chart not baselining at 0
I have a data set with categories in columns A-B, and data in columns C-I. I've configured my chart to use stacked bars for the first 6 data series and a line for the last one. The first 6 are revenue allocations, with the 7th being a cumulative total. Most of the chart looks as expected, but the first category or row of data is displaying oddly. The figures in this row are all negative (or 0), so I expect the top of the bar to sit at zero, but it doesn't. The top of the bar sits at the value of the 7th/line series, so that the bottom of the bar is at 2x that (negative) value. ...

Still column space after making row group hidden
In a SSRS 2008 report I have a number of parent level row groups which the previous group set the hidden value of the child group. I have the canshrink set to True of the cells however this still leaves a blank space where the group data was. Is it possible to remove this blank space from the report when that row group is hidden in a tablix? ...

removing duplicate values from a column
It sounds so simple that I must be overlooking the obvious answer, but I can't seem to find a way to remove duplicate values from a column. The case is simple: I have 600+ emailaddresses in column A, sorted alphabetically and there's a bunch of duplicate addresses in there (some of 'em occur up to 7 times!!). Instead of manually running through the whole list, removing the duplicates, there MUST be some soft of filter/function in excel to do this for me... Could anyone PLEASE help me with this!?!? Cheers! -- NOTE: remove the spamtrap from the emailaddress Jops, Select the em...

Need a formula that tags one table based 2 columns in each table
I have two tables on one worksheet, Table A and Table B. Each table contains two column with X and Y coordinates, all values are numerical. The coordinate system is irrelevant. I need to "tag" all XY coordinates in Table B that have a matching XY coordinate in Table A. If Table A coordinates are in columns A and B, and Table B coordinates are in columns C and D, then I want to place the text "hit" in column E next to each coordinate pair from columns C and D that match a coordinate pair in columns A and B. The ranges for the respective tables have been named ACOORD and...

Lookups #2
I am trying to write a formula which looks up a product code in a list, and then references a date to pick out a piece of information. The code is in a horizontal list with the dates being in a vertical list across the top of the page. eg Code Dates Jan Feb Mar 111 50 70 80 112 90 10 60 113 60 10 80 It needs to refer to the code then the month, to be able to select the correct cell. eg code 112 in February = 10 Is there a function to cross reference the two pieces of information to select...

Size ALL Columns To Fit
When I open any folder in Vista, the above option is available through a right-click on the 'Name' column. Unfortunately I have to do this every time I open a folder. Is there a way (Regedit, perhaps) to have Vista ALWAYS size all columns to fit at all times automatically, adjusting the width of the folder window as necessary? "ragmaniac" <teeseller@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c2ffd0bd-0b2f-4e66-b50d-5363a7fc407e@s13g2000prc.googlegroups.com... > When I open any folder in Vista, the above option is available through > a right-click on the 'Na...

convert column headings
Hi, everyone... I've got a problem here, and I'm not smart enough to figure this stuff out... I've got a worksheet that contains about 4000 entries, one per row, labeled "TaxDeductibleAmounts". The first four columns in each row contain "boilerplate" info, such as time, date, etc... Columns 5-40 contain various pieces of information (in this case, tax-deductible amounts). I placed the column labels/titles vertically in Column A of a separate worksheet, labeled "Totals". A corresponding SUM formula in the cell next to each column label/title ("=S...

Help with Lookup/Sum Formula
I have a spreedsheet with this type of data, for example Product Group Quantity Size 2812 10 0.75 2812 100 0.75 2812 300 0.5 2817 100 0.25 2817 200 1 2845 1000 1.5 I want to be able to set up a formula that you enter a product grou (2812) in a cell and it will for that product group go and sum up al the quantities for each size. The formula would go in the Sum colum For Example ...

Column Totals
Col. C, Row 8 shows: H, AL Col. C, Row 9 shows: 1.0, 1.0 Col. D, Row 8 shows: A, AL Col. D, Row 9 shows: 1.0, 1.0 Col. L, Row 8 shows: A Col. L, Row 9 shows: 7.50 Col. O, Row 8 show: A Col. O, Row 9 to show: 8.50 Col. R, Row 9 show: H, AL Col. R, Row 9 to show: 1.0, 2.0 Columns O and R are the “totals” columns Do you have a question you want answered? Regards, Fred "something68" <something68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73DBA11E-DDB0-44A9-AEE5-68C1961F3947@microsoft.com... > Col. C, Row 8 shows: H, AL Col. C, Row 9 show...

Consolidate and Lookup
Hi all, I receive 8 reports monthly, 1 for each area, with the all the activity for that period. I would like to consolidate the data into one total sheet. I have a master sheet with all the specialties where I would like to have all the totals show. The activity will be different each month so the the number of rows may change. The number of columns is constant. Below is what I have at the moment... but it cant be re-used as the range is fixed. It also produces an N/A error if one produces an NA. $B7 refers to a specialty code. =3DVLOOKUP($B7,'Herstmere PCT'!$B$5:$N$19,D$5,FALSE)+...

How to add a column to an existing table and fill it (i.e., fill down) with a particular word / number
Hello - I have a basic question. How do I add a new column to an existing table, and place a word in it so that it repeats all the way down the column? Thanks. Hi Mike What is the point of doing this. If you have a million records you will have a million repetitions of the same text string. If you "really" don't want to add the word as and when needed (very simple in a query report or form) you could use an update querry (if the word may change) or just add a default to the table field which will allow overwritting But again there seems to be no point in this -- Wayn...

how do i change the case text in a column?
I followed the directions as listed under CLR's post, however I am unable to figure out how to copy down the column as well. Would have been nice if you had stuck to the original thread but in the absence of any detail................... Enter =casefunction(A1) in B1 Double-click on the fill handle of B1 to copy down. casefunction would be LOWER, UPPER or PROPER depending upon your needs. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:56:01 -0700, Changing the case and copying down <Changing the case and copying down@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I followed the d...

Save a date as a variable and run/convert formula against the vari
Good Day, What I'm needing to do is retrieve a date field from a closed workbook, save it as a variable and then calculate a week number based on it. which I'll use for another function. I've attached two types of code I'm struggling with in VB and hope someone can help... The first part retrieves a date from a close workbook and I need to change "MsgBox" to a varible to save the date retrieved. Sub GetVal() MsgBox TheValue("C:\GssReports", "gssreport MTTR.xlsx", "gssreport 1 ", "K6") End Sub Function...

Date Math in Large Column
Hello! I have a huge spreadsheet (32000 rows). I have done a subtotal on part number. This does a sum on several other columns of values. There is a date column (B) with a date for each transaction for each part number. I am trying to come up with a way to determine the number of months over which the transactions occurred for each part number. The problem is that each subtotalled "group" is a different number of rows. I started to manually feed in this formula and then modify it for each group, but this could take days. =(max(b2:b20)-min(b2:b20))/30 This gives me ...

Case Lookup 04-21-06
Is there a way to prevent resolved cases from appearing in the case lookup? Specifically... Create an email in Outlook. Click the 'Track in CRM' button. Click the 'Regarding' button. Change the 'Look For' to Cases. Currently this lookup displays all cases with no restrictions. I would like to restrict this to only show active cases. ------=_NextPart_0001_2F86B88A Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Cindy, Thanks for the post. I will have to take a look at this to see if there is a way to filter the view. A quick glance at the issu...

Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data?
Hi all, Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data, in Excell 2003? Let's say B8 - B1000, there are so many of them... I want to rotate it into a row form... Thanks a lot! You'll need to explain the rules a little better.... You want to convert 992 vertical cells into one row .....but Excel 2003 only has 256 columns. *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "cfman" wrote: > Hi all, > > Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data, in Excell > 2003? > > Let's say B8 - B1000, there are so many of them... I...

Hid and unhide and clear contents for specific columns at the same time
I have a serious problem with excel programming and i am not able to figureout how to do the following funtions. I have 24 columns. names Jan -Dec ( Actual) then Jan- Dec (Forecast). There is one reference cell A1 ( for current month). - If A1= Jan, I want macro to hide FEB-DEC 9 Actual , and leave FEB-DEC (forecast). -If A1= FEB , I want macro to unhide FEB Actual and hide MAR-Dec ( actual) and at the same time clear contents in FEB (forecast) and hide feb (forecast ). ANd so on I would really appreciate if somene could help me figure out this problem. Thanks Use one of these in the...

Excel CSV leaving out empty columns from row 17 onwards
Excel omitting commas in random ways !! Anyone come across this ? When I save this file in csv using excel 2003 A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z,AA A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,S,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,S,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-...