Validations from another book

In data/validation the source is =() but to access the source via another
book is it simply a matter of giving the full path name?

Hi
see:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"Pat" <glass_patrick@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> In data/validation the source is =() but to access the source via
another
> book is it simply a matter of giving the full path name?

0
frank.kabel (11126)
11/24/2004 5:42:49 PM
See:

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
Jason
11/24/2004 5:44:57 PM
Hello gentlemen,

Thank you for the link.
I have followed the example but I cannot seem to get it to work.

Here is an example of what I have done
Book1 contains the range called List

Book2 is where I want to use it in a validation list.
First I created a defined name (in Book2) called Book2List with the range
name
=Book1.xls!List
Then in Data/Validation the source is =Book2List

I am obviously overlooking something but I cannot put my finger on it.

Regards
Pat

"Jason Morin" <jasonjmorin@_oppositeofcold_mail.com> wrote in message
> See:
>
> http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html
>
> HTH
> Jason
> Atlanta, GA

I think you're going to have to follow those instructions one more time or post
back what you did and where it failed.

And just maybe, you skimmed over this line:

You can create a dynamic range that refers to a dynamic range in another (open)
workbook.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Problem with Outlook 97 address book
I just purchased a new computer that has Wind. XP. My old computer has Wind. 2000. I can not retrieve my address book from my backup disc. I have tried importing it but it just adds personal folders without content. Help!!! I do not want to retype all my Address Book. steve <sssb@msn.com> wrote: > I just purchased a new computer that has Wind. XP. My old > computer has Wind. 2000. I can not retrieve my address > book from my backup disc. I have tried importing it but it > just adds personal folders without content. Help!!! I do > not want to retype all my Address Boo...

pro of cons of DFS vs cluster of 1 real server and another server hw with server hyperv VMs
can any tell me the pro and cons of the following A 2 server PC with DFS vs. B. a complex one: two server PC, one backup minimal pc hardware with DNS and global catalo one of the server PC is configured as primary dns, global catalog and file server the other one configured to run as hyperv server with enough server VMs to acts cluster we are getting two proposal from two different groups, each arguing their soln is best I can see the benefit of DFS and simplicity of the DFS and can be augmented with a low power PC for backup DNS to make it even more fault tolera...

Data Validation Lists in Protected Worksheet
I have a protected sheet (to which I don't know the password) with data validation applied to certain areas. I want to copy the lists being referenced by the drop boxes, but the validation option is grayed out due to the protection. I have not been able to find the lists on the sheet and there are no sheets xlVeryHidden. Any suggestions? Thanks! Erin Unprotect the sheet by breaking the password, then click on the cell and go into Data > Validation and see where the source for the list resides. http://www.straxx.com/excel/password.html HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Origi...

Data Validation #21
I want to use data validation on a cell where the user MUST enter any four digits, leading zeros are permitted. Can someone explain how I do this? You don't say if 0001 and 1 are to be considered equivalent, so I'll give this a shot. Data - Validation - Whole number - Between 0 and 9999. -- Regards from Virginia Beach, Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "iamnu" <iamnubw@gmail.com> wrote in message news:376d1bd4-49d7-4ac6-8ed6-a464c6d24dd8@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... >I want to use data ...

How do I import content from one PowerPoint template into another
Frequently the company I work for changes our basic template design. It is such a pain to copy and paste from one template into another template. There has to be an easier way. If so, I would really appreciate your help. Yes there is - what version do you use? Lucy -- Lucy Thomson PowerPoint MVP MOS Master Instructor www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au "Squaretooth" <Squaretooth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47FB91CB-8DB0-4681-B4EB-38BB8AB81D6B@microsoft.com... > Frequently the company I work for changes our basic template design. It i...

Excel and SQL Server
I am looking to integrate Excel and a back end MS SQL Server database. The database is running on MS SQL server and has statistical information for help desk agent call stats. I want to create a spreadsheet that can query the database and provide certain information about agent stats, to our agents. Something the agents can use to keep up to date with their performance. I have a general idea of how to do this, but am looking for an Excel book that can assist me with this. Something beyond the basic, and with some depth in SQL database integration. (Note: I am not a programmer, but have hav...

Book recommendations?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201633582/thejosephmnewcom/103-9125509-4323828 MFC Programming (Alan R Feuer) Is this a good one for MFC, for someone who did a fair bit of lightweight dialog based app programming for tools several years ago, and would like to get back to speed with that, but perhaps learn a bit more "properly" how to make use of MFC and Windows based programming. Lee Harris wrote: > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201633582/thejosephmnewcom/103-9125509-4323828 > MFC Programming (Alan R Feuer) > > Is this a good one for MFC, for s...

Combo Box selection returns a Date() in another field
Can anyone help me? I had this figured out in MS Access 2003 but now I'm working in 2007 and my previous code doesnt work. I have a form in which I have a Combo Box named "Status1" and the Control Source is "Status". The Row Source is "Pending";"Active";"On Hold";"Completed". Type is Value List. I also have a field named "completed" who's Control Source is "Date Completed" I want a AfterUpdate when the Combo Box is set to "Completed" the Date Completed fills in todays date. But ...

Another interesting thing - since the MS updates
Getting reports from people that have automatic updates enabled on their workstations, that people are reporting they are being sent WINMAIL.DAT, this only started after Tuesday this week. None of them reporting this issue on Monday or before - and they were sending the same file types... Seems to be happening with Outlook 2003 and 2007, fully patched... -- You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that. Trust yourself. spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email a...

Validation Rules in Access 2000
Afternoon, Apologies if this topic has been covered but i struggled to find it if it has. I'm a bit of a novice in Access so i was hoping someone could help me. At our warehouse we house alot of products from different companies, when they come in the door we would have pallets of the same stock and they would have a Product Code then "x" amount of days later some stock would go out to a store. We have a basic DB to keep everything in order but we are having problems with human error. i.e. a product code might be 12345-A and the inputter might put 12345/A or even type it wrong ...

Can I save the clipart (alone) on another CD?
I have cd #2 from Office 2000 but it doesn't work too well (which may be my old, filled up, tired pc) When I use it to insert clip art it sometimes doesn't work. Just spins around and never does it. I can usually open it otherwise (using OPEN or EXPLORE for the CD-ROM) I once was told (here) how to install the clipart on my computer, which I would do, if I have more space. And will when I get a newer computer. I just opened it (EXPLORE) and saw the files on it, one of them must have the clipart. If I can install the clip art onto my hardrive, seems like I could install it on...

Business FAX display in Address Book
How do I prevent the business fax for a contact from displaying in my address book? I get two entries for each contact. Outlook 2003. JJ In news:1136473708.958787.23230@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, Julie_J <julie_j30@hotmail.com> typed: > How do I prevent the business fax for a contact from displaying in my > address book? I get two entries for each contact. Outlook 2003. > > JJ See http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/nofax.htm Julie_J, you wrote on 5 Jan 2006 07:08:29 -0800: > How do I prevent the business fax for a contact from displaying in my > address...

Moving or copying building blocks from one template to another
If I have a template with a building block, for example a header in a template A , and want to use it in another template B (that already exists), how should I best do this? The only way I can think of is like this: 1. Save template A as template C. 2. In C open Building Blocks Organizer and set the Properties of the header so it gets stored in the Building Blocks (template) or Normal.dotx 3. Open B and reset the properties of the Building Block header so that it gets stored in B. 4. Delete template C. ? thanks Robin Your third suggestion should work fine if you want...

Data validation for Multiple columns
Hi all, I am creating a spreadsheet which will have data entry from different users. I want to give the validation in such a way that a combination of values in 2 columns do not occur more than once. Like say A B 1 a 1 b 2 a 2 b 2 a in above example the combination 2 and a is recurring. it should be restricted by validation while entering the data itself. can anybody please help Regards NC Hi, sorry for bothering you all but i got a solution on other group here is link for others reference http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.programming...

Moving from one place to another depending on value in certain cell
Hi to everybody, In a worksheet I need to move between certain location (cells); these cells are: A8, A68, A128, A188, A248, A308, A368, A428, A488, A548, A608, A668 What I want is: If I put 1 in cell B1 and press ENTER the cursor move to cell A8 (A8 will be the active cell), If I put 3 in cell B1 and press Enter to go cell A128 and so on with other cells from 1 to 12. Can any one help please. Several methods to do this. 1. Unlock just those cells and Protect the sheet. The Tab key will move to those cells. 2. Unlock just those cells and Protect the sheet with "select locked ce...

another errors building VC6 project under VS .NET 8
Hi! I'm try to convert an old MFC program VC6 to a VS.2003. But I have a problems. A lot of error I resolved reading the other post in t his site, but this I don't understand how resolve. *The error * error C2440: 'static_cast' : cannot convert from 'LRESULT (__thiscall CBSele ctFile::* )(CString)' to 'void (__thiscall CCmdTarget::* )(NMHDR *,LRESULT * )' *My code * In the BSelectFile.h: protected: //{{AFX_MSG(CBSelectFile) LRESULT OnPrintFile( CString FileToPrint ); .. In the BSelectFile.cpp: BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(CBSelectFile, CDialog) //{{AFX_MSG_MAP(C...

document that folds like a book
I have a .docx that the information is in 5.5 x 8.5 and I want it to flip in lanscape. Like a ring binder in landscape. Can anyone help me with this? I am using Word 2007 See http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/word/HP030729491033.aspx -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Wkumamoto" <Wkumamoto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBB60E97-DFC2-430D-BA19-8213BD862412@microsoft.com... >...

multiple copies of contacts after sync, and only one category is showing in address book
I have a user who after synching contacts with his axim has 3 copies of each - how can I remove the unecessary ones? Also he has his contacts separated into categories and only one shows in the address book - how can I get them all to show? thanks in advance for your help. mleon he is using outlook 2003 michele.removeleon@toyoda-na.com <michele.removeleon@toyoda-na.com> wrote: > I have a user who after synching contacts with his axim has 3 copies > of each - how can I remove the unecessary ones? Select the duplicates and click Delete. > Also he has his contacts separated...

How to move the database from one server to another server?
How to move the database from one server to another server in same domain? I have used the simplest way to do it, just copy the database file and attach at another server. It is running almost ok. I can see the most list on there like contacts , accounts, etc. but when I double click and try to see the detail of a contact , It popup a error message says: Query Builder Error. No attribute. It is running well on the original server. -- Gordon Personbally I'd suggest using the re-deployment tools for CRM - these are very simple to use and work well & avoid any problems with record ...

Another combine two files question....
I am trying to manipulate data from 2 reports into one sheet. The first report is a flat file with a unique record key. The second file is a complicated disaster. It looks like the following: Record Number A Apples Record Number A Oranges Record Number B Apples Record Number B Peaches Record Number C Bananas I need it to look like: Apples Bananas Oranges Peaches Record Number A X X Record Number B X X Record Number C X Is there a fancy formula that could help me? I can do a vlookup and pull it in, that doesn't work for the multiple records for each record number....

moving data from one db to another
I have a pretty general question about what might be the best way to handle this. I need to write a watcher program to export flagged rows in an MSSQL 2005 db out to a MySQL db. After each row is copied, I need to reset the flag in the source. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what the best process for this would be. Looping through all the rows in the source one at a time and then posting them one at a time seems like the wrong way to go. There's a lot of vb.net that I don't know so I'm thinking there might be a better, simpler way to do this. Initially there...

Named Range in ANOTHER workbook #2
hi I have defined many NamedRanges in 2 workbooks. and copying between NamedRange(s) between the 2 workbooks is desired. I have a need to access THOSE NamedRanges from the 3rd book, thus I need some reference method like: wb_s.range("ThisRange") wb_t.range("ThatRange") <do not prefer BOOK.SHEET.RANGE way> so that I can do dim A as Variant A = wb_s.range("From") wb_t.range("To")=A if refencing like BOOK.Range(Name) is not feasible, then dim A as Variant wb_s.activate A = range("From") wb_t.activate range("To")=A but this is n...

U.W.- Identical Formatted cells in two xls-sheets in one book
Dear all, still in my diploma thesis. Thanks to Frank Kabel for his last answer- it was a very useful tip. The situation: I have got two xls-sheets in one book, sheet A and B with a huge amount of numbers. In sheet A there is a conditional formatting of the numbers. The result is that the numbers in one cell have the colors red, yellow or green. In sheet B there are the same numbers as in sheet A but for a different view in another order and so on. But the value of a cell is a reference of a cell from sheet A, e.g. in sheet B,cell B1: =A!B1 Now my question: I want to "take over...

file format is not valid?
We opened an Excel 2002 file emailed to us in our Excel 2000 program. Ever since then, we get an "error (9.0.6926SP-3) File Format is not Valid" message, but allows the workbook to be opened anyway. Even now when we open a blank (New) workbook file, the same error message appears, but allows the program to proceed. How do you get rid of this error nuisance? James It sounds to me like you have something (not an excel workbook) in your XLStart folder. It could also be in the folder that's specified under: Tools|options|General tab: "at startup, open all files in:"...

address book ?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C46FF2.C621D010 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Why do some of my names show up with the first name , first and some = show up with the last name first. It gets them for my contacts and all of them are last name first which = is what I want. When you try to send a e-mail you have to look for names. =20 When I check the properties for the ones that have the first name first = they are setup the same as the ones that have the last name first. it get a...