validation list in a range

I have a defined range (separate sheet from the
validation, but can be moved), and would like for the
range to serve as my list of values in a "list"
validation.  Suggestions?

Boris
0
anonymous (74722)

select data/validation.  In the drop down box title "Allow" select list and
for the source select the range of values.

"boris" wrote:

> I have a defined range (separate sheet from the
> validation, but can be moved), and would like for the
> range to serve as my list of values in a "list"
> validation.  Suggestions?
>
> Boris

0
GaryRowe (86)
11/4/2004 1:43:01 AM
Right, but I specifically want to use the name of a range,
so that I can place it anywhere and not have to worry
about validation being updated.  Is there a way to do that?

0
anonymous (74722)
11/4/2004 6:47:54 AM
boris Wrote:
> Right, but I specifically want to use the name of a range,
> so that I can place it anywhere and not have to worry
> about validation being updated.  Is there a way to do that?

Set Source to the name of the list as in

=COUNTRIES

where COUNTRIES refere to a range housing country names

--
Aladin Akyure
Aladin Akyurek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=416

Thanks...thought I had tried that, and that was why I was
writing, but maybe the first time I did not type it
correctly.  Works great now.

Boris.

0
anonymous (74722)

creeping data range
Is there some clever trick to tell a set of charts, which use different rows, to now use columns B - M instead of A - L? Our user tracks some monthly figures that are then charted. This user would like to be able to tell this set of several charts to now use a different data range after adding another month's figures, ideally with a single update. -- Greg Stigers, MCSA remember to vote for the answers you like Jon Peltier has instructions for dynamic charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html#DynoCht G wrote: > Is there some clever trick to tell a set o...

Account list has incorrect amounts in MS 2004
Using Microsoft Money 2004, the dollar amounts on my "Account List" page do not match the dollar amounts on the individual account register. I saw this referenced as a problem over a year ago, but I never saw a resolution. I've tried the FileRepair, but that didn't work. Questions: How can I fix this? Is this a problem with the Money software or the file? If it's a problem with the money software, will the file work properly with MSM 2006? Thanks ...

Make a list of dates of all Fridays for 2002 thru 2007?
How can I make a list of the dates of all Fridays in the period beginning in 2002 thru 2007, or year by year? Thanks. -Dennis -- Dennis Kessler http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture Enter the date of the first Friday you want to start with in A1, eg 04/01/2002 and put this formula in A2: =A1+7 Format that cell as a date and copy it down for as many rows as you need (about 365 rows). Hope this helps. Pete On Nov 22, 8:51 pm, dk_ <nob...@spamless.com> wrote: > How can I make a list of the dates of all Fridays in the period beginning in > 2002 thru 2007, or year by ye...

Reference every 4th row from a master list of modifiable length
I'm creating an excel database for a clinical study on patients wit migraine. Each patients will treat 4 attacks (episodes). Thi presents a bit of a problem, since there's some information I' collecting that's specific to the patient (demographic information lik sex, height, etc.), and some that is specific to each attack (like th pain level of that attack, the duration of that attack, etc.). T account for this, I decided to give each patient four rows--one fo each attack--and I put their deomographic information in the secon row, leaving the other three blank in those fiel...

vbs script to list files in a directory and email results
Hi. Been trying to write something with out any luck. Im looking for a script that will look in a given directory (i.e. c:\mydata) and e-mail details of what files are in that directory, the details needed are file names, date modified and size. Anyone got any sample scripts ? Thanks "systemtek" <duncan@systemtek.co.uk> wrote in message news:8c076e3d-9231-452b-8700-fd6227eb9bc8@y12g2000vbg.googlegroups.com... > Hi. > > Been trying to write something with out any luck. Im looking for a > script that will look in a given directory (i.e. c:\...

POS 2009 check validation
Is there a way in POS 2009 to modify what is printed on the back of the check during check validation (beyond the 3 lines defined in the tender type). We want to print another line with the check amount (tender amount) on back of the check. Thanks Jeff ...

Graph Question. Values from different pages. Not in same cell ranges.
Hi, I have an excel work book which keeps track of players averages in a dart league. Every week gets a different page. I would like pages for individual players, that will keep track of only 2 columns on a weekly basis, which I will use to make a graph. Because the stats are sorted by high average, the players don't always stay in the same cells. The long way would be for me to reference the necessary cells, week to week. I was wondering if there is a script that can do the following pseudocode. Using C1 in the current individual player's sheet. C1 = Where "Week1.Ce...

Dynamic DropDown list from Unsorted vector
This seems to be a fairly common question I have found...with no answer! Maybe I just missed the answer somewhere, but I am hoping to get a quick, direct, answer. I simply want my dropdown list to contain an array of fields from a column A if column B = "Yes". The problem is the that my rows are not sorted. Example: 0 A B 1 *num* *YN* 2 one Yes 3 two No 4 thre Yes On the same sheet, I have a cell which does Data Validation List. I just want a simple code for Source: to create the dropdown list that will only list (one, thre). I have gotten this to...

User Form
I am creating a user form. One of the fields is for the date of birth of the person being entered. The person being entered has to be between 14 and 16 on the date of entry. Is there a way to set up some type of validation so that if the person isn't between 14 and 16 an error message will pop up? If so, how? Thanks. There's a function called =datedif() that you can use. Select your cell (I used A1). Data|Validation Custom formula: =AND(DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y")>13,DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y")<17) First, take a look at Chip Pearson's notes at: http://ww...

List box with multi-select?
hi I'm a .Net programmer who all of the sudden needs to do a litte work in Access 2003. It's quite straight forward, except for one thing: how do I do a ListBox with multi-select functionality? Is it possible at all in Access? thx In the properties of the list box, on the Other tab, set the Multi Select property to either Simple or Extended. "mAbZ" <mabz@comhem.se> wrote in message news:%23EUhan6zHHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > hi > > I'm a .Net programmer who all of the sudden needs to do a litte work in > Access 2003. > It's quite st...

Pivot table from Multiple Consolidation Ranges
Dear All Excel Experts, Creating a Pivot Table from 1 data table in 1 worksheet gives me the Pivot Table the way I want it, meaning as many Page Fields as I defined them at the top left of the Pivot Table. These Page Fields represent the column lables and in the drop-down I can choose the data under that lable of the respective column. Now I wish to have precise the same Pivot Table, but this time from data tables spread over several worksheets, whereby the format of these data tables are exactly the same. But now the drop-down of the Page Fields at the top left of the Pivot Table g...

Linked Table
Hi, I have a Access 2003 mdb that I have used for years that has worked OK. Recently one of my queries malfunctioned to an external Progress db's linked table. Specifically, the query's table list is missing many of the fields in the table though when I inspect the linked table in the Tables Objects Section I see all the fields. How can I fix my query? TIA, Dan Why post the same question in different newsgroups? (already answered in the other newsgroups you posted in). If your situation is one of the (few) unusual circumstances in which it is necessary/appropriat...

dump all email lists #2
I've done the normal google searchs etc etc, but I am still a bit confused as to how one dumps the list of email addreses that exhcange will accept. This is important as I need to stop a large amount of backwash spam that the exchange server is rejecting, after the edge mail box has accepted it. The list is required so that the edge box knows what it can and cannot accept. ...

New command missing from command list in "Customize"
I had added the news command to the Standard toolbar by accident. When I reset the standard toolbar, the new button disappeared from the bar, however, it is no longer available in the list of commands (for any category) in the "Customize" dialog any more either. How can I get this back or find it?? Any help appreciated. -- Lindsey Correction "News" button/command. "Lindsey" wrote: > I had added the news command to the Standard toolbar by accident. When I > reset the standard toolbar, the new button disappeared from the bar, however, > it is ...

Drop Down Lists
Hi there I want to use drop down lists so I don�t have to enter data into field time and time again. :mad: I have tried validation but cannot implement it correctly because cannot have a pre arranged list to choose from. Can you help? :confused: Cheer -- babi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- babiq's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2548 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38983 Yes you can, choose the List option and set it to the range, e.g. =A1:A10 -- HTH RP (remov...

how can I list items in a column with totals?
how can I list items in a column with totals? I have a column containing a list of multiple (text) items. I'd like to have a summary, so that I have a list of the items together with the totals of how many times the item appeared. I guess this must be simple, but don't know how to go about it. Cheers Hello Andy Have a look at Data, Sub-Totals HTH Cordially Pascal "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 025BFDCE-0F77-49D3-8A4F-8AFADF4CAAF1@microsoft.com... > how can I list items in a column with totals? > > I have a col...

distribution list limit
I am trying to create distribution lists in outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003 in a public folder. These lists are all more than 50 emails but the software limits me to 50. any ideas on how I change the limit? Thanks. ...

How do I create a schedule from a list of dates ?
I have a list of project tasks, which are subject to change (e.g. entering a new task at any point). The tasks are arranged in a list down the worksheet (so - task, objective, purpose, reporting to, etc). Each task also has a scheduled action date. I really want to produce a self updating calendar, based on this list, in a separate worksheet so that I can see a graphical view of what I have to do when ! Failing that, a timeline would be useful. I've tried using a Pivot Table but this doesn't seem to be the way forward. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. I played around ...

Setting indent in bullet lists
I am using Word 07. It used to be that while typing in a numbered list I could hit enter which would create the next level and then hit tab to automatically indent the number to a new sub level or hit shift+tab to backspace the number to a higher level. I have somehow managed to kill this setting and must manually indent now. I can't find how to set it back. Office Button | Word Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat As You Type: Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, ...

y-axis auto range based on data limits
I have a spread sheet with numerous charts. I need the y axis on the charts to set the minimum appoximately 20% below the lowest data point and set the maximum appoximately 20% above the highest data point. The major unit should be set at appoximately 10% of the entire range of data. The spreadsheets are templates and will have a wide variety data placed into the cells. Calculate the appropriate values in some cells. Use this technique to apply the calculated values to the chart's axis: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Mic...

Best way of copy range of cells without select
Hi, Why doesn't this work? "Method 'range' in object sheet failed" . I try to get rid of the copy paste select activat - operations.... Blad105.Range("B6:B25,B29:B44,B52:B56") = Blad104.Range("B6:B25,B29:B44,B52:B56") /Thanks to any help I answer myself: Has to be a ".value" after the specified range - othervice it try to copy the range, and it can't define the same worksheet name on two sheets... /"" The value is needed baecause "Imbecill" <Imbecill@roll.se> skrev i meddelandet news:Kj_oc.59034$mU6....

data lookup/validation syntax
In Excel 2007 I have a sheet "sheet1" which has a part number in a cell. (A5) I want cell (D5) to have a data validation drop down menu which is populated from "sheet2". Sheet2 data looks something like this: Column A Column B partnumber1 tradename1 partnumber1 tradename2 partnumber1 tradename3 partnumber2 tradename4 partnumber3 tradename5 partnumber3 tradename6 etc etc etc........... The drop down in (D5) sheet1 should only contain tradenames which have partnumber matching (A5) sheet1. Ideas? Can I use SQL synt...

VB commands list
Hi, Where can I find a list of all the commands for VB for Excel 97. Thank you. Eric. Press F1 when in the VBE. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP Easy enough. Thank you. Eric "Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ORQXHI62DHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Press F1 when in the VBE. > > -- > Jim Rech > Excel MVP > > ...

excel-convert list of 52 into a form with each entry on a single
how do I convert a list of 52 on an excel worksheet into 52 single printable forms? You wouild need to look up Excel 'Help' on mail merge, the Excel fil acts as the secondary merge file in MS Word -- Bryan Hesse ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2105 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39076 ...

Auto add to distribution list by subject line
Is there a way to set up the ability to add incoming email address to a distribution list based on the subject line? I don't think natively, you would have to write your own sink or maybe buy some third party software, unfortunately I'm not aware of any of these third party solutions. James Chong MCSE M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexchangetips.blogspot.com ftp://mail.msexchange911.net/ JP wrote: > Is there a way to set up the ability to add incoming email address to a > distribution list based on the subject line? You want a list server. Build your own: http://www.ftponline...