Validation in Excel

Hi, I need to validate the format of user input in Excel.

For instance , If I have a cell which should only contains number,
I want the user only be able to input number.

I've tried to right-click the cell, choose "Format Cells", and go t
"Number" tab, and change the category from "General" to "Number" , bu
the I still can input anything in the cell.

Fyi, I'm using Windows 2000 and Excel 2000.

Regards,
Susil

--
susilo_saj
susilo_saja's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1591

You want to use Data/Validation. Read about it in Help.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:41:01 -0500, susilo_saja
<susilo_saja.1ez2db@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi, I need to validate the format of user input in Excel.
>
>For instance , If I have a cell which should only contains number,
>I want the user only be able to input number.
>
>I've tried to right-click the cell, choose "Format Cells", and go to
>"Number" tab, and change the category from "General" to "Number" , but
>the I still can input anything in the cell.
>
>Fyi, I'm using Windows 2000 and Excel 2000.
>
>Regards,
>Susilo

0
anonymous (74722)

Excel 97 Autofilter
Is there a maximum number of lines that can be displayed using AutoFilter? In a list of >8000 items only 600 or so are displayed. How can I get around this? An AutoFilter dropdown list will only show 1000 entries. If your column has more than 1000 unique items, they can be filtered, but they can't all be displayed in the dropdown list. To AutoFilter for an item that doesn't appear in the dropdown list, you can choose Custom from the drop-down list, and type the criteria. Also, there are a couple of workarounds here: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html Al...

Exporting CRM Opportunity List to Office Excel 2007
We have CRM 3.0 Server. Our users are using CRM Web Client to access their leads, opportunities, quotes and orders. Using the Export toolbar button in CRM, users who have Office 2003 installed on their PCs are able to export opportunity lists to Excell perfectly all right, however users who have Office 2007 installed are not able to do that! Is this a limitation in CRM 3.0 ? Is there a workaround (If any)? Any possible risks when using or applying this workaround (If any)? "luai7" <luai7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CADFDC5-8439-4B5F-955A-D6DBF...

How can I do this in Excel
I know only enough about Excel to get me in trouble so please keep your answers as basic as possible. I have a entry like 01/04/2006 10 23 42 48 54 03 x4 when I paste this into a worksheet I would like it to appear like this col A col B col C col D col E col F col G col H 01/04/2006 10 23 42 48 54 03 x4 Can this be done? I remember seeing a feature where you could put lines to sperate date into different columns Thanks ...

Why can't I convert quatro pro .wb3 file in Excel #2
I have trid everything suggested in Excel and on-line but can't convert my *.wb3 file in Excel 2003. Downloaded the Office converter file and ran it, still nothing appropriate in add-ins. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Tom ...

How do I change the color for cell selection in excel?
I just started using Excel 2007. In the older versions when I select a row, column, or specific group of cells, Excel would highlight the group in a certain color. In Excel 2007, it simply surrounds the selected group of cells with a thick black line. I've tried going into Excel Options under Advanced but couldn't find how to do this. Can you assist me in changing this feature? On Dec 31 2007, 6:52 pm, dminliberty <dminlibe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just started using Excel 2007. In the older versions when I select a row, > column, or specific grou...

Excel Formula #3
Trying to write a formula that would say this: If there is an "x" in column F2 then add 1 to the number in column I2. In other words column I2 starts with a "0" and if there is a "x" placed in F2, then I want I2 to read "1". This is a win loss chart so there would be "x's" in other columns but I want it to keep adding "1" to I2. ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** A bit more clarity before suggesting a worksheet_...

Automating Excel from Access
From Access I'm trying to set the vertical alignment for all cells of an Excelfile to 'Top': Dim XLApp As Excel.Application Dim XLBook As Excel.Workbook Dim XLSheet As Excel.Worksheet Set XLApp = New Excel.Application Set XLBook = XLApp.Workbooks.Open("c:\Test.xls") Set XLSheet = XLBook.Worksheets(1) XLSheet.Activate XLSheet.Cells.Select With Selection .VerticalAlignment = xlTop End With XLBook.SaveAs ("c:\Test2.xls") Set XLSheet = Nothing XLBook.Close Set XLBook = Nothing XLApp.Quit Set XLApp = Nothing but I get the message objetvariable or blockvaria...

Using english and non-English Excel commands simultaneously in a non-English installation
Hi community, I like this forum very much - I got many valuable insights from it. In the past I had an English Excel installation at the office available, recently my employer moved to the German version and deinstalled the english one. Now, when i use a english command like =VLOOKUP(A1,'Sheet 2'! A1:H200,8,FALSE) adopting the country settings for "," with ";" Excel comes up with #NAME? since I used the english term, not the german one - but sometimes the german equivalent is not at hand as fast as needed ;-) However if a open a english coined workbook of a US/UK c...

Excel 2007
Hi, I wanted to post a fix to a common problem I've seen. There are many posts on the internet concerning this but I've only seen the true fix once. Here's the problem, someone installs Office 2007 and then when they try to double click on an Excel file, it opens Excel but the Excel file itself does not open. So, you are left looking at the Excel 2007 screen, but it is blank with no workbooks open (not even the default one that usually opens). Here is the official Microsoft solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074 - however, this only fixes about 20% of the case...

Creating forms in Access or Excel that link to Visio Documents
Does anybody have any experience with creating forms in access or excel that are integrated with Visio? How would I go about doing this? Access by definition can store 'objects', which can include visio drawings. If prompted, don't select display icon a.) create table add oledb field add text field for name b.) open table select oledb field and right click => insert new microsoft visio edit the new drawing and close it c.) create a form based on new table drag the oledb field onto the form d.) open the form what are you attempting to do? al &quo...

Excel : insert new data series via mouse click on graphic.
Dear Developers, I work as researcher in a sector that uses spatial data. i always return back to excel, honouring Turing principle, after "travelling" to more sophisticated Sw or ambients (like matlab, and others). One of the few thing I find annoyng in excel is that one cannot input data via graphic with a click of mouse on the cartesian space, function very useful in spatial data. Sincerely ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button ...

Microsoft 2007
I am trying to share a workbook - Toolbar, Review/Share Workbook - Each time, I get a message, the file is no longer shared and will not let me save. Any thoughts? -- Patty I think another person of your shared workbook might have removed you from the sharing. Otherwise the file has been moved to some other location. Save the current file in your local system and try to open the Original File from its actual location. -- Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps! -------------------- (Ms-Exl-Learner) -------------------- "Patty" wrote: > I am tryi...

Can i use a formula in the excel chart wizard?
I am creating a coursework in which i have to analyse a lot of data in the spreadsheet. it is already cluttered with columns and i dont want to add extra columns to add to the clutter. i was wondering whether there is a way to plot absolute values of a column without changing the actual values in the column or creating a new column using ABS() function. Thanx You can't use formulas in the reference boxes in the chart wizard. You can only use range references or defined names. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ On 3...

bin location export into excell
I run a report and then export it into excell. In the report all the bin #'s are correct, but in excell a protion of them are shown as dates rather than 00-00-00. Why do only some do this? The items in question were built at various times. Sandy It's being interpreted as a date by MS Excel due to the format of the bin location field. See my reply to your other post. Tom -- Stop fishing for e-mail "Sandy" wrote: > I run a report and then export it into excell. In the report all the bin #'s > are correct, but in excell a protion of them are shown as dates...

How can I conditionally format in excel for >3 conditions
There are a possible 5 different conditions which I wish to use to determine the colour of a given cell. Each condition should result in a different colour. Using the "wizard" I get a maximum of 3 colours. Is there a slick way around this limitation? What's the criteria for all your scenarios? I mean, chances are, using a =if() with an or() or and and() will do just fine, 1 condition. Danny On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:21:03 -0700, Jimbo <Jimbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > There are a possible 5 different conditions which I wish to use to > de...

Data Validation drop down not showing and Formula Auditing bar greyed out
Good afternoon, I've created a spreadsheet that has multiple Validated cells. Each of these cells is validated using a list, with "In-cell Dropdown" Checked. However the drop down is not showing. The cell is still being validated as I cannot enter a value other than what is in the list. Also, on the formula auditing bar, the Trace Precedents, Remove Precedents, Trace Dependants, Remove Dependants, Remove all arrows and Trace Error buttons are all greyed out. I've checked that the sheets and workbook are not protected and as far as I can tell it has happened between file ...

Data Validation in 2007
Is there a way to make the Data Validation dropdown list dispaly descriptions but when you select one it puts in the corrosponding ID instead? Example: Name: Phone # Smith 360-482-4747 Bowers 360-482-7878 Gates 360-482-8877 So when I'm in the cell and hit the drop down and Select "Bowers" - it actually saves the phone number "360-482-7878" instead of "Bowers" Not directly but in an adjacent cell you could use VLOOKUP to pickup the phone-number best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme r...

Help please
I have an Excel 2003 spreadsheet that I keep golf scores and with some formulas I maintain my golf handicap. I would like to have an interface, form, etc that will allow me to do the following: 1) Enter data for a golf round (name, date, course, rating1, rating2, score) 2) Display data for a golfer 3) Perform functions on the data in the spreadsheet (modify/delete data, compute handicaps, etc) I'm not sure if there is something within Excel (VBA?) that will allow this or if there is some shareware or freeware that is specifically designed for this but any help would be gre...

using excel windows 98
i have a table of 100's of figures that are all in text, ie: 12 34 45 56 67 78 56 78 23 78 34 67 23 89 45 78 87 21 each number in it's own cell, but i have loads of them how can i get a decimal point in front of all of them, so they all show like this ..12 .34 .45 .56 .67 .78 ..56 .78 .23 .78 .34 .67 ..23 .89 .45 .78 .87 .21 i have looked in the cells settings and can not find a way myself, i have been told to check a box to default the decimal point, but this is when you have an empty sheet, not when you have already entered the figures. any ideas. thanks Jason One way .. ...

Accidental Saved over Excel File
I was clicking on a help topic and realized as it was loading the help screen, that I needed to click on the other topic. I clicked several times and then somehow it clicked something in the background in the worksheet, my worksheet is now blank, and all the data is gone. Is there ANYWAY at all to get the workbook again in the condition it was before the accidental last save??? Sorry to Say, but AFAIK there is no way to recover your files except of course if you have made a back up copy. "Tom" <wilsontb@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:00b001c38fb8$69c6da60$a00128...

PDF or Image file transfer to Excel
Is there any possible way to pull the information off an image onto Excel? For example, Blue Company receives a remittance advice each month from Red Customer. This remittance advice is received in PDF format and is hundreds of pages. Is there anyway to take this remittance advice in PDF format and translate it to Excel? That way all the invoices on this remittance advice do not have to be manually keyed? Any help would be great!!! Thanks!!! Ryan You can convert the pdf to an html file, and then open it up in Excel. Of course you'll lose formatting but you can reconstruct it ...

Formatting problems when copying Excel spreadsheet to Word
I am new to Excel, so assume this will be an "idiot" question, but... When I try to copy my Excel spreadsheet into a Word doc. the table will not fit on the page. I have tried to change column widths, but the last column on the right will not appear. How can I fix this? On 5/3/04 4:31 PM, in article ABFFD3E4-3393-447F-88FA-21818002133B@microsoft.com, "MaryLynne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am new to Excel, so assume this will be an "idiot" question, but... When I > try to copy my Excel spreadsheet into a Word doc. the table w...

how do I make a cell in Excel required to be populated?
I am attempting to use Excel for a form I am creating and need to make certain cells required. I am unfamiliar with Macros, but am thinking this may be the only way to do this. Thoughts? You could use a macro that looks at those cells and counts how many are filled in. But since macros are new, how about an alternative? Use an adjacent cell. Put a formula like: =if(c3<>"","","<----Please fill in this cell") (I used D3 for this) Then format it in a nice bright bold red. The user sees the warning immediately. If you have formulas that depend on al...

Excel won't allow me to paste certain Turkish characters.
I need to copy some text with Turkish characters from a Word document and paste into Excel. Excel does not recognise the Turkish charcters and they appear as "?". you will either need o load the Turkish fonts or use Print screen or some other method to copy as picture the section you want to paste. "neil" wrote: > I need to copy some text with Turkish characters from a Word document and > paste into Excel. Excel does not recognise the Turkish charcters and they > appear as "?". ...

Excel 2003 and Labels (NOT Address Labels)
Okay, this is insanse. Have a spreadsheet where I input data into one cell, a calculation based on that data is run via vb macro, and then a single column of data with 80 rows is generated. CellA1 CellA2 .... CellA80 I need two things: One: I need all 80 results printed onto Avery 5267 format sheets of Labels. I will need four copies of each label, and I need the sheet to print EXACTLY like this (not allowed to vary on this): CellA1 CellA1 CellA1 CellA1 CellA2 CellA2 CellA2 CellA2 etc ... Two: I would like to NOT use Word. I've tried formatting the cel...