Utilizing a portion of data in SUMPRODUCT

Based on prior input from the group, I am using the following formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Log!B3:B80=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))

The data in Column B is actually a full date, entered yyyy/mm/dd.  With the
data in this format, I get a formula result of 0.  If I eliminate the /mm/dd,
I get the correct result of 1.  I have tried the formula with and without
quotes around the Condition.

The person for whom I am creating this spreadsheet has asked that the date
be kept together, rather than separating out the year.  Is there some way I
can maintain the data in Column B and change the formula to get the correct
result?

0
McClaine (4)

Peo gave you an answer earlier,

SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(Log!B3:B80)=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))

--

HTH

RP

"Helen McClaine" <Helen McClaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Based on prior input from the group, I am using the following formula:
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(--(Log!B3:B80=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))
>
> The data in Column B is actually a full date, entered yyyy/mm/dd.  With
the
> data in this format, I get a formula result of 0.  If I eliminate the
/mm/dd,
> I get the correct result of 1.  I have tried the formula with and without
> quotes around the Condition.
>
> The person for whom I am creating this spreadsheet has asked that the date
> be kept together, rather than separating out the year.  Is there some way
> can maintain the data in Column B and change the formula to get the
correct
> result?

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/25/2005 10:44:13 PM
> =SUMPRODUCT(--(Log!B3:B80=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))
> The data in Column B is actually a full date, entered yyyy/mm/dd.

Try using a YEAR() for the 1st condition:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(Log!B3:B80)=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))

Try to stay within the same thread for easier follow-up. Noted you've posted
a couple of queries (which seem related) and received good responses from
others, but you've yet to *reply* to any of these responses given. (You
could find / click on the "reply" button in the web interface)

--
Rgds
Max
"Helen McClaine" <Helen McClaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Based on prior input from the group, I am using the following formula:
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(--(Log!B3:B80=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))
>
> The data in Column B is actually a full date, entered yyyy/mm/dd.  With
the
> data in this format, I get a formula result of 0.  If I eliminate the
/mm/dd,
> I get the correct result of 1.  I have tried the formula with and without
> quotes around the Condition.
>
> The person for whom I am creating this spreadsheet has asked that the date
> be kept together, rather than separating out the year.  Is there some way
> can maintain the data in Column B and change the formula to get the
correct
> result?

0
demechanik (4694)
1/25/2005 10:54:15 PM
"Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote
> Peo gave you an answer earlier,
>
> SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(Log!B3:B80)=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))

Thought it was Harald ? <g>
--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8,  1� 22' N  103� 45' E
xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
----

0
demechanik (4694)
1/25/2005 11:05:31 PM
Max,

You may be right, I couldn't find it to check. But I know it was answered.
Apologies to Harald if it were he.

Bob

"Max" <demechanik@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote
> > Peo gave you an answer earlier,
> >
> > SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(Log!B3:B80)=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))
>
> Thought it was Harald ? <g>
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> GMT+8,  1� 22' N  103� 45' E
> xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
> ----

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/25/2005 11:18:54 PM
Sorry - Sometimes I get so caught up in trying to conquer something I forget
the niceties of life.  I do appreciate everyone's help.  And I apologize for
not staying with the same subject; every board has its Rules of Conduct and
obviously I didn't pick up on this one.

I've tried the change you suggested -- adding YEAR -- and end up with a
result of #VALUE!, so I'm obviously still not getting it right.  It's so
frustrating when I know something can be done utilizing a formula, but can't
get the data entered correctly to make the formula work!

I'll continue messing with this and may end up coming back to y'all for more
help.

Helen

"Max" wrote:

> > =SUMPRODUCT(--(Log!B3:B80=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))
> > The data in Column B is actually a full date, entered yyyy/mm/dd.
>

> Try using a YEAR() for the 1st condition:
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(Log!B3:B80)=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))
>
> Try to stay within the same thread for easier follow-up. Noted you've posted
> a couple of queries (which seem related) and received good responses from
> others, but you've yet to *reply* to any of these responses given. (You
> could find / click on the "reply" button in the web interface)
>
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> GMT+8,  1° 22' N  103° 45' E
> xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
> ----
> "Helen McClaine" <Helen McClaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Based on prior input from the group, I am using the following formula:
> >
> > =SUMPRODUCT(--(Log!B3:B80=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))
> >
> > The data in Column B is actually a full date, entered yyyy/mm/dd.  With
> the
> > data in this format, I get a formula result of 0.  If I eliminate the
> /mm/dd,
> > I get the correct result of 1.  I have tried the formula with and without
> > quotes around the Condition.
> >
> > The person for whom I am creating this spreadsheet has asked that the date
> > be kept together, rather than separating out the year.  Is there some way
> > can maintain the data in Column B and change the formula to get the
> correct
> > result?

Helen,

Drop me your workbook, and I will take a look for you.

Bob dot Phillips at tiscali dot co dot uk

--

> Sorry - Sometimes I get so caught up in trying to conquer something I
forget
> the niceties of life.  I do appreciate everyone's help.  And I apologize
for
> not staying with the same subject; every board has its Rules of Conduct
and
> obviously I didn't pick up on this one.
>
> I've tried the change you suggested -- adding YEAR -- and end up with a
> result of #VALUE!, so I'm obviously still not getting it right.  It's so
> frustrating when I know something can be done utilizing a formula, but
can't
> get the data entered correctly to make the formula work!
>
> I'll continue messing with this and may end up coming back to y'all for
more
> help.
>
> Helen
>
> "Max" wrote:
>
> > > =SUMPRODUCT(--(Log!B3:B80=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))
> > > The data in Column B is actually a full date, entered yyyy/mm/dd.
> >

> > Try using a YEAR() for the 1st condition:
> >
> > =SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(Log!B3:B80)=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))
> >
> > Try to stay within the same thread for easier follow-up. Noted you've
posted
> > a couple of queries (which seem related) and received good responses
from
> > others, but you've yet to *reply* to any of these responses given. (You
> > could find / click on the "reply" button in the web interface)
> >
> > --
> > Rgds
> > Max
> > xl 97
> > ---
> > GMT+8,  1� 22' N  103� 45' E
> > xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
> > ----
> > "Helen McClaine" <Helen McClaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > Based on prior input from the group, I am using the following formula:
> > >
> > > =SUMPRODUCT(--(Log!B3:B80=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))
> > >
> > > The data in Column B is actually a full date, entered yyyy/mm/dd.
With
> > the
> > > data in this format, I get a formula result of 0.  If I eliminate the
> > /mm/dd,
> > > I get the correct result of 1.  I have tried the formula with and
without
> > > quotes around the Condition.
> > >
> > > The person for whom I am creating this spreadsheet has asked that the
date
> > > be kept together, rather than separating out the year.  Is there some
way
> > > can maintain the data in Column B and change the formula to get the
> > correct
> > > result?

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/26/2005 5:19:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Helen

Trust you've got it sorted out by now with Bob's help

Just some comments:

> =SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(Log!B3:B80)=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))

> I've tried the change you suggested -- adding YEAR
> -- and end up with a result of #VALUE! ..

Think some/all of the data in Log!B3:B80
may not be real dates/numbers
(dates are actually numbers in Excel)

(All it needs is a single cell in B3:B80 which
is not a real date, and you'll get #VALUE! <g>)

Try this quick check in the sheet Log
in an empty col to the right

Put a label into G2: Check (say)

Put in G3: =ISNUMBER(B3+0)
Copy down to G80

[G3:G80 should evaluate to TRUE
for real dates/numbers]

Select G2:G80
Do a Data > Filter > Autofilter on the range
Click on FALSE in the droplist in G2 to filter these out
Look at what's in col B and try re-entering the date(s)

--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8,  1� 22' N  103� 45' E
xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
----

0
demechanik (4694)
1/27/2005 12:53:02 AM
Hi Max,

You will not be surprised to hear that the problem was with the data, some
of the fields had two dates in them, therefore the YEAR function errored on
what was actually a string field.

We changed the formula to SUM(IF(... to handle the errors, and it seems okay
now.

Regards

> Thanks for the feedback, Helen
>
> Trust you've got it sorted out by now with Bob's help
>
> Just some comments:
>
> > =SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(Log!B3:B80)=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17))
>
> > I've tried the change you suggested -- adding YEAR
> > -- and end up with a result of #VALUE! ..
>
> Think some/all of the data in Log!B3:B80
> may not be real dates/numbers
> (dates are actually numbers in Excel)
>
> (All it needs is a single cell in B3:B80 which
> is not a real date, and you'll get #VALUE! <g>)
>
> Try this quick check in the sheet Log
> in an empty col to the right
>
> Put a label into G2: Check (say)
>
> Put in G3: =ISNUMBER(B3+0)
> Copy down to G80
>
> [G3:G80 should evaluate to TRUE
> for real dates/numbers]
>
> Select G2:G80
> Do a Data > Filter > Autofilter on the range
> Click on FALSE in the droplist in G2 to filter these out
> Look at what's in col B and try re-entering the date(s)
>
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> GMT+8,  1� 22' N  103� 45' E
> xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
> ----

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/27/2005 10:49:42 AM
Thanks for the update, Bob !
--
Rgds
Max
"Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Max,
>
> You will not be surprised to hear that the problem was with the data, some
> of the fields had two dates in them, therefore the YEAR function errored
on
> what was actually a string field.
>
> We changed the formula to SUM(IF(... to handle the errors, and it seems
okay
> now.
>
> Regards
>
> Bob

0
demechanik (4694)

WM_QUERYENDSESSION and saving data through a worker thread
Hello I have an application that uses a worker thread to save/load data. I'm wondering what is the best reaction to WM_QUERYENDSESSION in my case. I have to possible scenarios: 1. When WM_QUERYENDSESSION comes fire the thread and wait for it to end. Only then return TRUE from WM_QUERYENDSESSION handler. The problem is that I will get nusty dialog that my application "is not responding". 2. When WM_QUERYENDSESSION comes fire the thread and return FALSE from the handler. When thread is done force application to end. But this way I will probably prevent Windows from closing,...

Copying data from one chart to another

How do I import data from lotus123 & maintain formulas/worksheets
I am trying to convert several complex Lotus 123 workbooks with formulas into Excel 2003. How do I do this and maintain my formulas and the individual tabs (worksheets). hi, if the lotus file is a wks version or earlier, xl should open it and let you save it as an xl file. if the lotus file is a 123 version or higher, you can open the file in lotus and save it as an xl file. if you don't have lotus, find someone who does. "Ineluctable" wrote: > I am trying to convert several complex Lotus 123 workbooks with formulas into > Excel 2003. How do I do this and maintai...

Sumproduct usage?
My brain's on overload at the moment, so I'm turning to you guys for help. I need help w/ a formula that will count the number of sales that someone had based on a certain date...I thought I could use sumproduct, but I'm beginning to wonder if I was wrong about that. The relavant columns are D & M. Col D Col M 12/24/2009 Andy 12/24/2009 Charles 12/24/2009 Andy 12/25/2009 Charles You had the right function in mind. Try something like this... Use cells to hold the criteria: A1 = some date B1 = some name =SUMP...

Determine number of rows with data

Utilities
Hi to all, I decided to publish some of my small tools (for free). They are collected at http://www.prosource.de/Downloads/utilities_en.html I use them for my daily work, may be others find them useful too. They are somewhat programmer centric (especially regarding their GUI :-)) At the moment only a color selector tool is there, but more will follow. Its rather tedious to write a meaningful description, so be patient with me :-) -- Ulrich Korndoerfer VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.proSource.de/Downloads/ ...

Add data to cell w/o loosing initial data
I would like to know if there is a way to add data to data without retyping. For example I have a colum of 18015555555 and I want to add [rfax:(cell #)@/fn=(phone number)] So I would like to add the brackets - copy from a cell - @/fn= and not loose the data already in the spread sheet. Example 2. Add [rfax:company name@fn/=(saved data here) then close bracket. So I want to add data to cells without loosing the data already in the cells. I have about 600 of them to do and I really don't want to do each one by hand. Please let me know if anyone knows how to accomplish this. Tha...

Removing filters from data
Hi. I have recorded a macro to remove filters from data lasts in advance of performing other actions. However if the data is unfiltered the macro falls over with the message Run time error '1004' ShowAllData method of Worksheet class failed. I think I need some sort of if error continue code or something to check filtering first. I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction please. Hi Philip Try If Activesheet.Filtermode Then ActiveSheet.ShowAllData -- Jacob "Philip J Smith" wrote: > Hi. > > I have re...

Moving certain data to different sheet
I need to move data that meets a certain criteria, to another sheet within a workbook. For instance, if a column of data is for a certain ZIP code area, I need it to automatically copy to a sheet for that city. Say, 40202 would go to the Louisville, KY sheet. Because Louisville has multiple ZIPs, I would need only the data that begins with 402 to go to that sheet. Lexington KY's data, which begins with ZIP code 405, would go to its own sheet. Macro? Formula? Thanks! This can definitely not be created with a formula. I suggest that you make use of the macros. Rgrds, Kris...

invisible listbox data
I have developed software in Acces XP that is distributed to two different locations and I have noticed some odd behaviour at one of the locations. Sometimes the data in listboxes or combo boxes is invisible. The data IS PRESENT because you can select and use the records as before (although you can't see which ones you're selecting). The combo boxes are poplulated and have the correct dropdown length for the records one would expect. The listboxes have scroll bars where one would expect a scrollbar and multiselcetion is possible where apropriate. I have played around with th...

Looking up and matching data
I have two sets of data with the same information but not in the same order and am trying to match the data. In each data set I have 10 pools containing 100 loans. Each pool has a unique ID and each loan within the applicable pool has an ID of 1 to 100. I need to look up the Pool ID, then look up the loan ID so that I can extract the property type information from a third column. The Pool ID and property type is text but the loan ID is a number. I am struggling to put together the right combination of formulas to give the property type for each loan within each pool. Any suggestion...

create a letter with the data fron work sheet
i have a data sheet for the order.like people order staff lik tea,coffee...etc,i ve data including date,name,department,.....etc. when i put the data i want a letter format which picks up the data fro the sheet then i can send it to the person who made the order as confirmatino letter. like it the letter starts dear "......"(it could pick the name fro c1) also how can i create this letter? does it have to be in excel ?? help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!:( :( :( : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com As answered in microsoft.public.excel and microsoft.public....

excel 2007
I have data that looks something like this account#, invoice amount 1, 50 1, 70 1, 80 2, 10 2, 50 2, 52 2, 50 3, 10 4, 30 I need a way to combine all the invoice totals for each account so I have results like this 1, 200 2, 162 3, 10 4, 30 Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I thought I had done something similar to this with filters before in Excel 2003, but I can't figure out how I did it. Thanks! You can use subtotal or a pivot table in the pivot put the account numbers in the row field and the invoice amount in the data, in subtotal use at each change in account numb...

Copying of non-consecutive, columnar data into consecutive-columnar cells
Hi: I have data located at a1:a9, then a:10 is blank; then, I have 9 more lines of data from a11:a19, and a20 is blank... a1, a11, a21...are all the texts/numbers that I want printed on a different page. But here's the catch: I'd like to print it at locations a1, a2, a3... Specifically, the data that I have appears like this on THIS IS ON SHEET 1: A1: prefix: Mr A2: emailAddress: john.smith@1.com A3: firstName: John A4: lastName: Smith A5: company: ABC Company A6: A7: prefix: Mrs A8: emailAddress: kim.davids@2.com A9: firstName: Kim A10: lastName: Davids A11: company: X...

Export Data from MS-CRM
Is there a way to export all of the data from MS-CRM? Thats a rather general question,......you mean export to another CRM system or just export into another medium? For the most part, most areas have that little excel icon so that you can export into excel...... or you can go into the SQL server and use the export wizard, although I don't think its going to be what you want,....for the most part it will be raw data and you'll have to recreate the relationships and primary fields to see how the objects relate.......... -Gary "John O'Keefe" <jokeefe@finepoint.com...

repaired ext hd
I recently had an external hard drive fail. Sometimes it showed up under my computer and other times not. Did not show up in disk management. Tried on another pc - nogo. So.... I sent drive off for data recovery and received email from comp that said: A. Media evaluation results overview * The file system was structurally damaged preventing access to the data. The file system has been repaired to point to the file data. Can anyone tell me what that means? Is there a way i could "repoint" to data? Thanks. patti On May 5, 7:20=A0pm, patti <pa...@discussions.m...

What are the different methods of representing numerical data?
Can someone answer my questions "What are the different methods of representing numerical data"? "Excel Problem" wrote: > Can someone answer my questions "What are the > different methods of representing numerical data"? Sounds like a test question. What's the context? Is it asking about numerical formats? Or is it asking about date v. time v. other numerical data? (Which really is not "different methods" per se. All are floating-point aka real numbers. But the test might be asking for the specifics of date and time rep...

Check if data has already been formatted.
Hello, I have a sub() as part of a larger set of macros. This particular sub() will take the raw data pulled from an in-house reporting system and format it to suit our needs (adding a couple of columns with formulas to facilitate pivot table creation). This is the code as I have it so far: Sub FormatData() Application.ScreenUpdating = False ActiveWindow.DisplayGridlines = False ' Declarations Dim DataWks As Worksheet Dim LastRow As Long Dim LastCol As Long ' Set the DataWks variable Set DataWks = Worksheets("Data") ...

Match data
I have some data I need to have returned if it matches something else. The data pictured below is in worksheet 2. In cell A2 of worksheet 1 is 153. The returned value would be No because below is a Yes and a No. If there is a No anywhere in this list, the result should be No. The result for 156 would be Yes because that is the only option in the data below. The result for 203 would be No because it is listed regardless of whether or not there is a Yes listed for that one. 153 Yes 156 Yes 153 No 153 No 201 No 156 Yes 203 No 203 Yes I need the "No" as...

how to import data from outlook express for mac
Hello, I'm changing my net from macintosh to windows xp, and I was wondering how to import all the data (messages, contacts, etc) from outlook express for macintosh to outlook express or outlook 2002 on my windows xp I have the outlook express macintosh files, but I can't import any data. Maybe I have to do another step before... Any idea? Thank you Xavi ...

Data Analysis P-Charts
How do you create p-charts using upper control limits (UCL) and lower contril limits (LCL) using the standard deviation..? A p-chart is just a line chart. You can indicate the control limits with added lines, per the examples here: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html#AddLine I would use the point-and-error-bar method, with the point to the right of the chart, and use a "Show Values" data label on the points. I also have a poorly documented Dynamic Control Chart on my site that you might be able to hack to meet your needs: http://www.geocities....