using the count function

I have 5 departments and I am trying to count the number of yes votes for
each dept, is this possible
0
barklek (1)

Sure. It's called Countif. See this article:
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/count_using_multiple_criteria_in_microsoft_excel.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"barklek" <barklek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 5 departments and I am trying to count the number of yes votes for
> each dept, is this possible

0
ng1 (1444)
8/22/2005 7:06:23 AM
barklek Wrote:
> I have 5 departments and I am trying to count the number of yes votes
> for
> each dept, is this possible

Hi barklek

You could do this with a Pivot Table, Data > Pivot Table

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=397675

I like the pivot table option, too.

But you could use a bunch of formulas like:
=sumproduct(--(a2:a99="dept#1"),--(b2:b99="yes"))

Or you could use another column:
=if(b2="yes",1,0)
and drag down

Then sort your data by department and use data|subtotals.

--

Dave Peterson
0

How to erase a line drawn using line bar next to + = bar
I drew a line to separate text but now cannot get rid ot it. When I edit or move the text the line keeps reappearing even if the text is cut and pasted it moves with it, or stays with what it left See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "janetland" <janetland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EAC6171-7D72-4664-A41F-A4D7388B213F@microsoft.com... >I drew a line to separate text but now cannot get rid ot it. When I edit or > move the text the line keeps reappearing even if the tex...

How to automatically add a worksheet using macro?
Can I add adding a worksheet in a macro? How do I do that? Ex. I create a new macro. One of the steps in my macro is to insert a new worksheet. Dim NewWks as worksheet set NewWks = worksheets.add with newwks .name = "Your New Name Here" .range("A1").value = "Hi there" End with eva wrote: > > Can I add adding a worksheet in a macro? How do I do that? > Ex. I create a new macro. One of the steps in my macro is to insert a new > worksheet. -- Dave Peterson Thank you "Dave Peterson" wrote: > Dim NewWks as worksheet > set Ne...

Autoclose Access Database if not using for more than a certain period
My Access database is working in a multi-user environment. Is there any function to close the access database if the user is not using the file for more than 2 hours? Thanks. See the following: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210297/en-us or another option would be: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304408 <xiaodan86@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1178590698.082941.302910@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > My Access database is working in a multi-user environment. > Is there any function to close the access database if the user is not > using the file for more than 2 ho...

UML: using existing classes/structures in a library
Hi, How can I create a UML diagram that uses existing classes in a library. For example, I want to build a UML static structure that has a class ProxyConfiguration. That class has a method that takes a SoapEnvelope as a parameter. SoapEnvelope is a class that is not part of my application, it is part of an existing library. So I don't want to add a class with the name SoapEnvelope just to allow me to make my diagram. Thanks, -- Sven > So I don't want to add a class with the name SoapEnvelope just to allow me > to make my diagram. That is EXACTLY what the Wrox book on ...

returning the value in Colunm C using Colunm A as Ref
Hi I am trying to format a spread sheet and need to return the value of colunm C but the problem is Colunm A is blank as it runs in sequence (see below) It looks like the following A B C 1, P100AA Info 300 2, P100AB Info 150 3, "Blank" "" 100 4, "Blank" "" 50 5, P100AC Info 300 How do i return the last figure for the item in Row 2 (colunm A) i.e. 50? If i do a logical test how do ...

Please Help! Messed up Hard Drive from using Partition Magic
I wanted to use Partition Magic to partition my hard drive, so I used the boot CD. When I loaded it up, it said that there were 2 errors in my hard drive and it could fix them, so I pressed fix. Unfortunately, I was running Vista and I only know now that they're incompatible. However, now my hard drive is completely screwed! If I plug my hard drive into my computer, my computer refuses to do anything after POST, it doesn't boot a CD or run anything from the hard drive. I unplugged my hard drive and it's booting CDs now, even though my CD was the primary boot device anyway...

Contract Administration should not use the history exchange rate
Contract Administration shouldn't use the historic exchange rate for renewal and revenue recognition. It should use the actual exchange rate. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/e...

Specifying Cells to Count?
Hi everyone, I am having trouble adding in Excel... I have a list of IDs in A:A, and a list of numbers in B:B. For example: 1 0.1 1 0.5 3 0.1 3 0.2 3 0.3 6 0.1 6 0.5 8 0.3 8 0.9 8 0.8 8 0.4 Now, I need to calculate the number of instances of 0.1 corresponding to the value of 1 in A:A, the number of instances of 0.1 corresponding to 3 in A:A, and so on. I've tried FREQUENCY(), COUNTIF(),and a few others... I know the number of instances that 1,2 and any other number shows up in A:A, and I think I can use COUNTIF() -- however, I can't find a way to dynamically specify the number of...

count number 12-17-07
Is there a way to show a count of records with the same part numbers. Jeff Create a new query in design view. Add the table with the part numbers. Click on the Totals button (looks like a "sum of" button from Excel). Add the [PartNumber] field ... leave the aggregation as "GroupBy". Add the table's primary key field ... change the aggregation to "Count". Run it. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "Jeff Klein" <jklein@nospam> wrote in message news:eKYDD6NQIHA.280@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to show a c...

Storing VBA Code In a Cell to Use real Time
I want to store multiple values in Column A and VBA Conditional Code in Column B. The Conditional Code is just text and is just stored on the worksheet. When a macro is run and a variable equals the value in column A then the code stored in Column B executes inside the macro. For example, A1 = "ALLEX" and B1 = "If Not Left(route,1) = "K" . So, when the macro runs and checks to see if "ALLEX" is in Column A. If so ,then it will use the associated Condition: If Not Left(route,1) = "K". directly in the Macro. So, if both condition...

Re-using a "Door Prize No"
Hi, I’m on Access 2003 on XP Pro with all the latest updates. I’m working for a charity that has a membership database. Each member is assigned a door prize number. The goal is to not have any gaps in the door prize number. When a member leaves the area, we flag that member as “gone” and I want to re-assign their door prize number to the next new member. I’ve already beat my head against the wall talking to management about why they reuse number and they are not going to budge. I can logically see what I need to do, but I don’t know how to code it. I would appreciat...

use forwarded email address on new emails
I have my emails forwarded to my ISP. I want all new out going emails to have the address of the account that forwards to the ISP. I don't want any one to see my ISP address. Is this possible with Outlook 07? Thanks navanax wrote: > I have my emails forwarded to my ISP. I want all new out going emails to > have the address of the account that forwards to the ISP. I don't want any > one to see my ISP address. Is this possible with Outlook 07? Thanks In the e-mail accounts that YOU define inside of Outlook, put whatever you want as your e-mail address. Ra...

Creating a calculated field using dates in a form
I am trying to use dates from 2 fields in a form (HireDate-DOB) to calculate age. Then, using the age, I want to display a message if the age is less than 18. I think I have written a conditional statement correctly, but am unsure where to place it so that the message displays when the condition is met. I am totally new to Access 2007 and VB. You did not say what the content of your 'conditional statement' was and how you plan on using it. What has HireDate to do with it? Is it you want to see if their age is less than 18 on the date of hiring? Then this will c...

Count cells in a column that contain dates
Column J contains dates in some cells, and text in others. I need to count the number of cells in this one column that contains dates. How can I do this? If the only cells that are in that column that are numeric (like dates), you can use: =count(a:a) (Dates are just numbers formatted nicely in excel.) Cachod1 wrote: > > Column J contains dates in some cells, and text in others. I need to count > the number of cells in this one column that contains dates. How can I do > this? -- Dave Peterson ...

Concatenate function
I am using the following setup to force leading zeroes in my cells (thanks to another poster here) : Format Cells > Custom > 00000 This causes Excel to display any numbers with fewer than 5 digits in a manner such as 00067 (if the original number was 67, for example). My question is this: When using the CONCATENATE(A1&B1) function to join the cells in question, any cells whose source data contained fewer than 5 digits to begin with get Concatenated without those leading zeroes. I tried formatting them as ZIP Codes (automatically adds the leading zeroes), but Concatenate stil...

counting
I HAVE A SPREADSHEET THAT HAS SEVERAL ENTRIES THAT ARE THE SAME EX COLUMN 1 IS TELEPHONE NUMBERS COLUMN 5 TELLS ME IF ITS A B( BUSINESS) H(HOME) C(CELL) I WANT TO INSET A MACRO AT THE END OF EACH COLUMN THAT WOULD ADD HOW MANY TELEPHONE NUMBERS ARE IN THE COLUMN THAT ARE UNLIKE ( AS IN COUNTING EACH DIFFERENT ENTRY AS 1) AND ON THE COLUMN 5 HOW MANY UNLIKE B,H,C GO WITH COLUMN 1 WITHOUT HAVING TO COPY THE TWO COLUMNS TO ANOTHER SPREADSHEET - FILTER ADVANCE UNIQUE RECORDS ONLY - I NEED A MACRO THAT I CAN ADD AT THE END OF THE COLUMNS THAT WOULD DO THIS AUTOMATICALLY Can you repost ...

Can Publisher be used for commercial use?
Yes. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm Mike, you're a linguist, you speak Gina's language. :) -- Don Vancouver, USA "Mike Koewler" <wordwiz@fuse.net> wrote in message news:4165C306.4070306@fuse.net... > > > > ...

System-wide keyboard hook stops functioning problem !!!
Hi all. I write kinda application that monitors Caps Lock/Scroll Lock/Num Lock status in all system (Thanx Logitech for create keyboards with no indicator lights on upper right corner). Obviously i installed system-wide keyboard hook in dll, which sends messages to main window (modal dialog) whenever the state of these keys changes. Everything works fine at beginning, but after a while, for some odd reason, the dll stops sending messages to the main application. I logged all events in dll to file and really, it does not get any keyboard messages (installed hook procedure is never called...

USe a Parameter query
I have a simple query that I wish to use to search for titles of Music CD's. I wish to establish a parameter query that will allow the user to enter a word and the query looks for that word in the title. I have lried .....Like *[Enter the word]* in the query designand various combinations in between but to no avail. Can it be done Thanks George try to use under the "Title filed " Like "*" & ["Enter the Word" ] & "*" so it can filter that word out of your database. "George" wrote: > I have a simple query that I w...

using post-callouts
Hi All I want to use the post-callouts feature so that when an account is created I can do something in my application. I followed the guidelines given at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm/html/mbs_crmpostcallouts.asp?frame=true I need to put my dll in COM+ on the server where CRM is loaded. Now MS-CRM uses version 1.0 and I have created the dll using .NET version 1.1 So I am not able to register it using regsvcs. Will I have to install .NET 1.1 framework on the server. Will it break MS-CRM application? Is there any other way of doing this. Any help w...

Error executing SSIS package used to populate GP Analysis Cubes
Hi, Our GP databases are installed on SQL Server 2000. I have installed GP Analysis Cubes For Excel on a SQL Server 2005 server. The installation worked without a hitch, however when I try to run the SSIS master package to populate the Data Warehouse database I get an error under the "Run Company" section stating: "Error: Error 0xC0014037 while preparing to load the package. The package is encrypted with a password. The password was not specified, or is not correct." And at the bottom of the execution trail there is a warning to the effect that "the number of ...

Which File to Use
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C63EAD.21358DE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable My EXCEL crashed and when it recovered, in addition to an original, it = offered me a 7 minute old version and a pretty current "repaired" = version. When it crashed, I was in the midst of mostly inserting and revising = cell comments and miscellaneous formatting stuff. I wonder which is the = better file to use going forward. Is there anyway to find out what the = repair was, which might he...

Counting Weeks or Days
How can I enter two dates and have Excel calculate the number of weeks or days between them? Thanks for any help. Gene Begin date in A1, end date in B1........... this will give you days difference (format cell for general) =B1-A1 and this will give you weeks.......... =(B1-A1)/7 Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Kobra" <kobra@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:FoCdndx0PsjVCzbfRVn-vQ@comcast.com... > How can I enter two dates and have Excel calculate the number of weeks or > days between them? > > Thanks for any help. > > Gene > > Chuck wrote &l...

function help needed
I am trying to put together a function for error logging into an sql2005 table. The function will be in the front end of the application. Below is what I have so far that is getting me frustrated. Originally, I had a stored procedure to with the insert which when executed worked fine. Most of it is below the execute line. I am trying to move it into the front end. As of now, I'm not even sure if I'm on the right path or not. The INSERT INTO is the table and the field. The ErrorDate is a datetime and ApplicationSignon is a bit. The remaining fields are varchar. ...