Using text in a cell in a formula

I need to have a formula use the text of adjacent cells to determine where to
look for values.  I want to grab data from multiple datasheets but I don't
want to have to type the sheet name in every formula, I want the formula to
grab the name of the sheet from an adjacent cell.
i.e. I need a formula like =if(sheet1!B2>0,100,""), but I need a function
that will fill in the sheet name from the text value of an adjacent cell that
would have the sheet name in it as I will be doing this for multiple cells on
the same sheet.

see your other post

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"navel151" <navel151@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to have a formula use the text of adjacent cells to determine where
> look for values.  I want to grab data from multiple datasheets but I don't
> want to have to type the sheet name in every formula, I want the formula
> grab the name of the sheet from an adjacent cell.
> i.e. I need a formula like =if(sheet1!B2>0,100,""), but I need a function
> that will fill in the sheet name from the text value of an adjacent cell
> that
> would have the sheet name in it as I will be doing this for multiple cells
> on
> the same sheet.

try something like this
lets say your sheet name is in cell A2

=INDIRECT("'"&(+A2)&"'!B2")

it may be hard to see, but there is a ' between the quotation marks before
the cell name and also before the !

"navel151" wrote:

> I need to have a formula use the text of adjacent cells to determine where to
> look for values.  I want to grab data from multiple datasheets but I don't
> want to have to type the sheet name in every formula, I want the formula to
> grab the name of the sheet from an adjacent cell.
> i.e. I need a formula like =if(sheet1!B2>0,100,""), but I need a function
> that will fill in the sheet name from the text value of an adjacent cell that
> would have the sheet name in it as I will be doing this for multiple cells on
> the same sheet.

Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

Microsoft CRM using Firefox
Hello, Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work correctly on Firefox. Currently, I have employees that are using Firefox and are encountering the same issue as IE [Internet Explorer bombs out and states that it has encountered problems...]. I am just having employees use IE to prevent problem. Thank you for your comments in advance. Install a Firefox extension called IETab "Marcos" <Marcos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B93E29-757D-46FF-B747-A17EB112ED94@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work cor...

cell looses name after sorting
Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000: in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the values in these cells are used in other sheets. the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other sheets get messed up! How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute? thankx in advance, Jim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "jimfx >" <<jimfx.109zcv@exc...

Custom cell formatting
I need to create a custom format for a series of cells that will begin like this. I can't figure out what the code character is fora volitile potentially alpha character. Can anyone help me?? -Monica, Dallas 000000 000001 000002 .... 000009 00000A 00000B 000010 000011 ...... Monica something like this might work for you but you'll need to put all the leading digits in for the entry with the alpha character Regards Trevor "MDavison" <davison@fr.com> wrote in message news:#SD0tUzTEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I need to create a custom format for a series ...

Creating a template using Publisher

Need help with formula 01-13-10

Using Sumproduct when some of the values are null
I am having a problem using Sumproduct when some of the cells have null values. I will try to describe the problem. Please let me know if you need additional information. Do any of you have any ideas of how I can fix that sumproduct to get it to work? A B C Row Trend Claims 5 Emergency $0 6 Emergency $0 7 Emergency $0 8 Emergency 81.68% $24,444 9 Emergency 35.00% $164,758 10 Emergency 35.00% ...

Unable to repy using word editor
When repyling to an e-mail I receive the following message, "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy, or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead". I found article 284900, that states you may get this message when you have office 2000 and office xp installed on the same computer. This is not the case on my computer, Office 2000 does not exist, only office xp. Can anyone help me? There appear to be a whole host of causes for this error message. Most have no solution. Here are a few that do: http://support.microsoft...

Is anybody using Symantec Enterprise Vault?
Hi, A vendor has recommended this solution to us, I have looked at the datasheet for the product and it speaks the right language but I was wondering if anybody on here uses it in a live environment and what their opinion of it is. Cheers Sean ...

Using iterations to calculate circular references.
I am working with data that requires using circular references in some calculations. I checked the "iterations" box to allow for these calculations to work, and Ecxel seems to be calculating everything correctly. The problem is that after I close the workbook, when I later reopen it to continue working, all the cells that are a part of the circular reference display the #VALUE! error. I can fix this by deleting one cell that is part of the loop and then undoing that command, or by copying the formula from a cell, deleting it, and pasting it back into the same cell. I have to d...

using Xsd.exe to generate classes *properly*

Operating a small passenger service
I am hoping someone has managed to customise outlook in a way that allows you to use the programe to manage bookings on a small passenger service. I.e input a new booking, number of people, location etc. Then email the days bookings to the different drivers. Maybe it could also be set up to know how many seats are avialale to reduce the risk of double booking? Im using Outlook 2003. ...

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

stop automatically changing formula!
i have a countif function COUNTIF(Locking!I16:I40,"f") when i copy this and paste it to the next cell, the formula automatically change to COUNTIF(Locking!J16:J40,"f") How do I stop it from changing column I to J?!?!?! thanks. Caryn, =COUNTIF(Locking!$I$16:$I$40,"f") or =COUNTIF(Locking!$I16:$I40,"f") HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "caryn" <caryn.tan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d7n4u3$hgi$1@avnika.corp.mot.com... > i have a countif function > COUNTIF(Locking!I16:I40,"f") > when i copy this and paste it to the nex...

using dates Part 2

find match then change cell value

trouble using signature picker
The signature picker is ghosted out does anyone know how to correct this ? Signature picker was working earlier. Thanks ...