Using Tab key to jump to specific cell

I've created a 'fillable form' and somehow (magically) when the tab key is
pressed in certain cells, the cursor jumps to the next appropriate cell to be
filled (Example I filled in cell B1 and the next fillable cell is D4.  If I
hit the tab key after typing in B1, the cursor will jump to D4).  But this
does not happen in all cells or at the appropriate places.  I don't know how
I managed to get it to do what it does already. Is there is a way to
fine-tune it?

When you protect a sheet, tabbing will cause the active cell to jump between
the unlocked (aka unprotected) cells.
The order of tabbing is left to right, top to bottom.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've created a 'fillable form' and somehow (magically) when the tab key is
> pressed in certain cells, the cursor jumps to the next appropriate cell to
> be
> filled (Example I filled in cell B1 and the next fillable cell is D4.  If
> hit the tab key after typing in B1, the cursor will jump to D4).  But this
> does not happen in all cells or at the appropriate places.  I don't know
> how
> I managed to get it to do what it does already. Is there is a way to
> fine-tune it?

0
Luke
4/6/2010 2:17:29 PM
Hi Kelly

This happens when you have unlocked cells in a protected w/s.  Obviously
this is a bonus to you when creating a "fillable form".

Now you know what is happening you should be able to format the whole w/s
appropriately.
--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"Kelly" wrote:

> I've created a 'fillable form' and somehow (magically) when the tab key is
> pressed in certain cells, the cursor jumps to the next appropriate cell to be
> filled (Example I filled in cell B1 and the next fillable cell is D4.  If I
> hit the tab key after typing in B1, the cursor will jump to D4).  But this
> does not happen in all cells or at the appropriate places.  I don't know how
> I managed to get it to do what it does already. Is there is a way to
> fine-tune it?
If your input cells are in a left to right, top to bottom sequence,
unlocking input cells and Tabbing to them will work.

If not in that sequence you can create a named range in the order you want.

Start with last cell in order then CTRL + Click your way through the
sequence.

See Bob Phillips' site for more on this.

You can also use VBA to tab through a sequence of cells.

If you want that, post back.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:11:01 -0700, Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I've created a 'fillable form' and somehow (magically) when the tab key is
>pressed in certain cells, the cursor jumps to the next appropriate cell to be
>filled (Example I filled in cell B1 and the next fillable cell is D4.  If I
>hit the tab key after typing in B1, the cursor will jump to D4).  But this
>does not happen in all cells or at the appropriate places.  I don't know how
>I managed to get it to do what it does already. Is there is a way to
>fine-tune it?

0
Gord

Removing characters from cell
Hope someone can help me with this one.... I have text in column "A" a list of parts like the following..... ...nhg1234 ..nhg1235.54 nhg3456 ....nhg1253.7 Is thier anyway of removing the dots in front the part number? I dont want the points moving after the the main part of the number. Please help TiA mag()() Do you part numbers all start with nhg? If yes, you could select column A edit|Replace what: .n with: n replace all And keep hitting the replace all button until all are fixed. "Mag()()" wrote: > > Hope someone can help me with this one.... >...

Can I delete a file that is in use
I have a malocious file called sdra64.exe it's in my appdata\roaming folder I can't delete it because it isays it s in use by another program How can I set it up so that it is deleted somehow? Thanks I have a malocious file called sdra64.exe it's in my appdata\roaming folder I can't delete it because it isays it s in use by another program How can I set it up so that it is deleted somehow? Thanks You can try using the task manager. Bring up the manager and go to processes and stop it from running. You can try to delete from Safe Mo...

How to count cells
Hi, I want to put a summary of Job orders in a table. (Excel (Zip) file attached) I am having a problem of total. I want to make a total of only approved job orders not the all job orders. Also if the column contains hot / cold type, I need red and bold for hot job order of complete row. Also I want to be counted by job type and entity. For example, in the total approved 7 permits, CONST entity 3 cold jobs and 1 hot job. how can i display in the abstract table. Can anyone help me please. +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: count.zip ...

Replying to Individual in Newsgroup using Outlook, with O.E. as NG reader
I'm using Outlook 2000 sp1 for E-mailing. It's set-up to use Outlook Express 6 as the newsgroup reader (whilst calling itself Outlook Newsreader). I recently wanted to reply to an individual in a thread. Everything seemed to go okay until I checked the 'Sent Items' of Outlook. There was an E-mail to the individual, but none of the text that I'd included was there, only the original newsgroup message. Does anybody know what's going on, how to fix it, or has anybody got any suggestions ? Thanks in Advance Duncan Anderson O/S = Win X/P home sp1 I think this happens be...

Unpopulated Cell Address
Hi I'm a newbie and was wondering can anyone help with my query. I am trying to find out how to print a spreadsheet with just the data that is contained in certain cell address's. Where a cell address is not populated I want the whole row to not appear in a printed copy. Any ideas? Try this idea Sub hiderowsandprint() With Range("a1:a21") .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Rows.Hidden = True .Resize(21, 8).PrintPreview .Rows.Hidden = False End With End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Mick Smith" <notsa...

change the formula by changing contents of cell
I have a table that ranks a list of players by their statistics, for example, when I change cell B2 to "walks", my formula (large) lists the player with the most walks in cell B4, 2nd most in B5, 3rd in B6... that works well because more walks are good. But, when I change cell B2 to "strikeouts" I want it to list the player with the fewest number of strikeouts in B4, next fewest in B5 and so on. Is there a way to change the "large" function to the "small" function within the formula? I have set up a helper cell (C2) that changes fro...

Product Keys #3
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hello I bought Office v.X a while ago and I use it on an older Mac computer. I also just purchased a new Mac and wished to run my version of Office on it as well. When I run it on the new computer, an error occurs and says that it cannot be run simultaneously on two computers under the same product code and then it closes. I thought that the product came with three licenses? Where are the other licenses at for this and/or how can I obtain them? Thanks much! In article <59b7269b.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, St...

Preventing Column Cell Values from Printing
I have a summary worksheet with several columns of information. There is one particular column (E25:F39) where I don't always want to print the values. Is there some simple way to toggle this column's values on and off just before hitting the print command? I was thinking of using an adjacent tick box outside the print area, which when ticked would print the column values, and vice-versa. I'm looking for a formula that would examine the tick box, and if the tick (letter 'a' in Marlett font) is not present (i.e. cell value = ""), then the values in column (E25:...

Combo Box from data in another tab
Is it possible to create a combo box from data that's in another tab? I have a combo box that's from data in hidden columns. But now I need to move all that hidden data to another tab in the same file. But when I go into properties and go to the ListFillRange option, it won't let me enter another tab name. -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-excel/200508/1 I have called data from another tab with a combo box by doing th following: First - name the range of the data on the other tab. This can be don with the shortcut on the toolbar (l...

Error when using RMS EDC Settle function
Hello. We run RMSsp2, and use PCCharge PaymntSvr EDC software/First Data processor. PCCharge settles fine, if trying from within RMS, receive error on: 1st attempt: "Invalid Merchant" box error appears. 2nd and subsequent attempts "Invalid Destination Zip" box error appears. Erro occurs withing few seconds of settle attempt, settle progress doesnt go beyond 1/10 of progress meter and this error pops up. Any ideas? Our EDC config is fine and all batches and items are ok in PCCharge. thanks luke ...

How do I change the value in cell based on a future date
I would like certain cells to be cleared after a certain date one way: Put this in the ThisWorkbook code module (Right-click the workbook title bar and choose View Code): Public Sub Workbook_Open() If Date > #12/15/2004# Then _ Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1,B2,J10,K39").ClearContents End Sub Note that this won't work if the user opens your workbook with macros disabled. Note also that there's no way to prevent a user from accessing your data - i.e., they can set their clock back and open the file. You can make things more difficu...

IF COUNTIF & COUNTA on Filtered Visible Cells #7
Hi Frank, Hope this will help. Correction to Last Posting: My Helper Column "U" increments one Row at a time and says: Check from Row above Current Row back to beginning of my "V" Range: i the Room was used previously give me the Last (MAX) time it was used b returning the relevant Row Number of the (text based) Group Nam (Executive, Trainees, Manager, Graphics, etc.) that used the Room Last The Helper Column "U" then passes this data to the Formula in Colum "T" - it checks for the criteria within the specified Range and doe the COUNT calculation us...

What's the correct procedure to use a CBitmapButton in a dialog (to avoid resouce leaking)?
Hi, I have a CBitmapButton member in a dialog. The problem is that, after exiting my program, there is a cross button staying on my windows 2000's desktop now. The button is exactly the one I used in the dialog. Clicking on it doesn't do anyting. Rebooting the machine doesn't help. The application has been mailed to many customers. Now I expect they'll see this button on their machine but hardly guess that it's caused by my program. In DoDataExchange(), I associate the CBitmapButton member with a push button in the dialog's template. Then in OnInitDialog...

Unable to attach an attachment using mail merge
Anyone know how to do an Outlook mail merge and have it sent an attachment to all merged recipents? I put the attachment into the basic outlook e_mail message and when it merges it strips off the attachment. I am using Word as the E-Mail editor and Outlook 2002 SP2 and merging contacts directly from an Outlook Contact folder. ...

Data within a cell
If names are in cells as "last name, first name, middle initial" can a macro be run to change the order to "first name, middle initial, last name"? A formula will do Assuming you have spaces between commas and names, =MID(A2,FIND(",",A2)+2,FIND(",",A2,FIND(",",A2)))&RIGHT(A2,FIND(",",A2,FIND(",",A2)))&", "&LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1) Then just copy down. If you want this more permanent, copy the cells with formulas, right click, paste special. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click &q...

Data entered from list automatically enters number in another cell
I am using Excel 2007 and here is an simplified example of what I need. Items Price Potatoes 4.35 Apples 5.55 Oranges 7.95 Onions 4.55 Carrots 3.75 Items Column is List for Valid entries in table below Prices are the numbers I want entered when I enter the Item If I enter Oranges from Dropdown List in A16 , I want Excel to automatically enter the number 7.95 3 columns over in D16,or if it is quite a bit easier, just 1 column over in cell B16 Example of table I want: My Entries: Excel Enters ...

Transfering a changing cell value progressively through a workbook
I am creating a payment application form in excel 2007 using windows 7. Each worksheet represents one months invoice. Say I have a formula in "sheet 1/ cell Q7" that sums the total billed to date for a particular budget line item. This value will be transfered to a the next months payment application "sheet 2/ cell K7" this becomes the total amount of previous applications, then "sheet 2/ Q7 is =sum(K7,M7,O7) this value is transfered to "sheet 3/ K7, and so on and so on, until the completion of the job. How do I acomplish this. -- Thanks Mike ...

How to use MFC Cstring class in Win32 DLL?
Hello all I am having WIN32 DLL and i have to use CString in it. I tried include <Afx.h> with project setting with both 'use MFC in a static library' as well as 'use MFC in a shared library' option of project setting but firstly i got error fatal error C1189: #error : WINDOWS.H already then i commented #include<windows.h> after that i am getting linking error mfcs42d.lib(dllmodul.obj) : error LNK2005: _DllMain@12 already defined in testdll.obj Debug/testdll.dll : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symbols found i tried other options like includi...

Prevent auto recoloring of chart when using Pivot Table data
I have crated a Pivot tabel with data I want to show in a Chart. My problem is when I refresh data the colours of the "data series" changes. For exaple I want one of my series "OK" always be shown in green colour, but after a refresh of pivot all colours changes. This problem is not only colouring. If I have made changes to my chart so that one series ar plotted on a secondary axis, and I change it to another chart type (e.g. the secondary should be shown as a line instead of column) this also changes when refreshing the data. Most irritating! Anyone that knows how to p...

uninstall from command line using alternate credentials
WinXP SP3. Is there a way to do this? I am trying to find a way for a power user to uninstall a program using the msiexec + uninstall string from the registry using admin account credentials. Alternativly, I have tried to get the user to do a "run as" on the appwiz.cpl file but I get an error. UPDATE: also tried making a shortcut and running as admin but there is still an error with starting the msiexec. It says something like error statring program, it may be disabled or have no associated programs. I checked the windows installer service and it is running. ...

Updating a form after using a workflow rule to update the entity.
I have a workflow rule that, on create of a contact, calls an assembly and updates an attribute of that assembly. It works a treat, but after saving, the attribute does not appear in the form. I have to close and re-open the contact to see the attribute. Is there any way to have this display immediately? Thanks Saira ...

Using Microsoft Map in Office XP
How can I add the add-in Microsoft Map to work in Office XP? Thank you for looking. John John MS Map not available with versions 2002 and 2003. MS Map Point is now the application used. Costs about $250.00 US. An alternate is to use MapInfo product(which was the Excel 97 and 2000 product). Very costly at minimum $595.00 US just for upgrade. http://www.mapinfo.com/location/integration But............found this tidbit on the net thanks to Debra Dalgleish. Mystery of the Missing Map Tool: If you believe Microsoft, the Excel Map tool is permanently out of action in Offi...

Switch format characteristics cell-by-cell?
I want to do something like this: IIf([table_a].addr1 <> [tableb].addr1, SwitchToBold([tablea].addr1), [tablea].addr1) Is there such a function or set of functions, e.g. switch to italics or change the font entirely? I can't find it and am not entirely sure where to look. Thanks in advance. On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:30:14 -0700, Jonathan Ball <notgenx32@yahoo.com> wrote: >I want to do something like this: > >IIf([table_a].addr1 <> [tableb].addr1, SwitchToBold([tablea].addr1), >[tablea].addr1) > >Is there such a function or set of functions, e.g. swit...

Find Last cell with Date
I need to find the last cell in a row that has a date entered. The date should then be entered into another cell which is updated as more dates are added to the row. Thanks for your help. Ken Russell Remove hat to reply by e-mail kenrussellhat@optushome.com.au --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.742 / Virus Database: 495 - Release Date: 19/08/2004 Hi for column A try: =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E307,A:A) Note: - returns the last NUMERIC value. that is you can't differentiate between numbers and dates (as ...

Starting a macro by editing a cell
I would like a macro to be initiated whenever someone edits a particula cell, does anyone now how this can be done? Many Thanks, Yianni -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Yiannis You would need on change macro in the worksheet module Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then my code gets actioned here if target.value = "" then exit sub end if End If End Su -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...