using sum button

I try pasting a bunch of numbers from a website into
excel.  Everything comes over fine, but when I try to sum
the column using the sigma button, the result is just zero.

Please help!  I have a lot to sum.

Thanks for your help.
0
anonymous (74722)

Adam

sounds like the "numbers" are being pasted as text.  That would probably be
the case if trailing spaces are included in the copy.

Regards

Trevor

"adam h" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I try pasting a bunch of numbers from a website into
> excel.  Everything comes over fine, but when I try to sum
> the column using the sigma button, the result is just zero.
>
> Please help!  I have a lot to sum.
>
> Thanks for your help.

0
Trevor9259 (673)
12/4/2003 10:07:40 PM
Adam,

Trevor's probably right.  If that's the case, try this formula:

=SUM(C1:C20+0)

It's an array formula;  press Ctrl-Shift-Enter any time you enter it or
change it.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Trevor Shuttleworth" <Trevor@Shucks.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Adam
>
> sounds like the "numbers" are being pasted as text.  That would probably
be
> the case if trailing spaces are included in the copy.
>
> Regards
>
> Trevor
>

> "adam h" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I try pasting a bunch of numbers from a website into
> > excel.  Everything comes over fine, but when I try to sum
> > the column using the sigma button, the result is just zero.
> >
> > Please help!  I have a lot to sum.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

0
nowhere8060 (363)

using Crossed Lines template
When I enter my document title in the text box above the crossed lines template, it does not carry over to the other pages in the document, nor does find/replace work either. How can it be done so my text entered on one page is duplicated on all others in my document? Put the title on the Master Page (ctrl+m), it will appear on all pages. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "jcam" <jcam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB5D1447-8B65-4981-81A6-8BD1C9A24451@microsoft.com... > When I ent...

Using the kit function
We would like to create some kits using our inventory on hand. How would we create them and have the individual items depleted from stock and go to these kits. We need to be able to know when to order more items to create the kits when they are getting low. Go to Database -> Items -> New Item -> Standard then change item type to Kit, then click on Kit tab and add the items you need, it will be depleted from inventory. Click on attributes and set the re-order point and re-stock level for the items, create a purchase order weekly or daily and select re-order point method to cr...

sum of check box
Hi, I made a report from a query. In my report I have multiple check box (yes/no). I would like to sum all the yes check box at the end of the report. I tried =Abs(Sum([name_of field])) as well as =Sum(IIf([name_of_field]=True,1,0)) and for both, I get the result on the report as ''yes''....???... Any suggestion? Thanking you in advance! Cheers, Ka Fix the format property of the sum control (xerox engineering?) Pieter "ka" <ka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C09F5EB4-C98C-452C-A1A7-E0AFE8099D72@microsoft.com... > Hi, > >...

Effects of Not Using Enter/Match Invoices
I have a client that says their inventory amount is off by millions on the financial statements. We basically narrowed it down to them not doing the enter/match invoice process. So we think that inventory is being debited twice; once when they enter a receipt and another when they enter the AP invoice. Is there any way that she can get an accurate inventory amount if they are doing this process separately? If you don't use the Enter/Match process, do the following: When you process a receipt, debit inventory & credit Vouchers Payable (or Accrued Purchases); then, when you ...

Connect to Exchange using http keeps checking itself
Running Exchange 2007, I have one user in our office who occasionally will have their Outlook 2007 check the connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP box and then the Only Connect to proxy servers that have this principal name in their certificate. We use a certificate just one you can create yourself, we don't have issues with other people who use the certificate to connect with outlook from their homes but when in the office this user occasionally will have outlook check this for him. He unchecks the area and it works for awhile but eventually it returns. Any help wou...

Buttons on Outlook Express
The buttons at the top of my Outlook express keep expanding, getting wider and wider. I have placed 8 buttons that I want to use but for some reason, it keeps changing as the buttons get wider first there are 8 then there are 6 and then 4 then 3 then 2 really wide buttons. Does anyone know how to stop this insanity? ...

toolbar is not getting resized while adding and removing text to buttons of toolbar
hai all, i actually created three Image lists and added bitmap array to each of them then added to toolbar as shown below-> m_wndToolBar .GetToolBarCtrl().SetImageList ( &m_ImageListToolbar ) ; wndToolBar .GetToolBarCtrl() .SetDisabledImageList ( &m_ImageListDisabledToolbar ) ; m_wndToolBar .GetToolBarCtrl() .SetHotImageList ( &m_ImageListRolloverToolbar ) ; now i was asked to remove are add text to buttons of toolbar depending on the option which is placed as a check box in the dialog. i am invoking that dialog from CWinApp derived class. for that i...

Using HTTP request to POST XML files?
Hi Sorry if this is posted in the wrong group but I'm brand new to this area. Basically I've got to post some XML documents to an external server using HTTP web request (POST, not GET) and be able to receive files back. I've got the XML file generated and checked over, but I just dont know how to go about the post process. I've got a feeling I'm supposed to create a form in my ASP application with an action which points at the URL I've got for the external server, but I don't know how to "attach" the XML files I'm sending. Do I need to embed the files ...

Entourage goes into spinning-wheel from time to time while using

Autopopulate Multiple Fields in Table Using a Form
I have a form based on a table where I want to store data. The data to store comes from combo boxes based on various lookup tables. The wrinkle is that there is one lookup table that contains 2 fields of data (questionnum and question) I want stored in the table once the questionnum is selected. The question field is formatted as 'memo'. When I create the combo box the question field is not an option for selection. I add it manually to the properties after completing the criteria for the combo box. I have been struggling with the code used to autopopulate more than one field but...

Are there any known issues using Line Item comments for all SOP do
Hi all, I recently modified a SOP Packing slip to add Line item comments for each line to show an additional numeric value as a text (weight) printed on each line item. The way it is setup is that there will be unique line item comments (click the -> on the line item comment field, not the magnifying glass lookup and then just type text for each comment, click OK and save the line item). I've used up all of the User-defined fields including tracking #s and so I am down to adding comments. EXT. and Modifier are not options at this point. I also tried adding Document Notes to t...

selecting XML from SQL2000 and using it in ASP.NET
I am running this in SQL Server 2000: SELECT lastname, firstname, title, hiredate FROM employees FOR XML AUTO I get back these results in the Query Analyzer: <employees lastname="Jones" firstname="James" title="Developer" hiredate="2004-05-10T00:00:00"/><employees lastname="Jordan" firstname="Ken" title="Sr. Developer" hiredate="2004-05-03T00:00:00"/> But in a webform, when I call the ExecuteXMLReader and do a Response.Write white looping through the reader, I only get back the first node. Any reason...

Problem using fill with formulas
I have a column. I want to fill in the formula from B1 all the way down to B200. I select B1 and drag my mouse down to B200 and select Fill Down. The formula is inserted in every cell. However, I have: =VLOOKUP(A4,[yahoo.xls]Sheet1!$A1:$H200,2,FALSE) =VLOOKUP(A5,[yahoo.xls]Sheet1!$A2:$H201,2,FALSE) when I want the second column formula to be: =VLOOKUP(A4,[yahoo.xls]Sheet1!$A1:$H200,2,FALSE) In other words, I want the first cell reference (A) to change, but not the cell references in the yahoo.xls worksheet. Because they are changing, I need to go in and manually change the references to $A...

Create task and sub-task lists using the calendar
Looking for the best way to organize 10 task subjects. Some having as many as 5 sub-tasks, as well as creating to do lists for 4 employees. I set these up in the Folder List and would like to drag these into the Calendar allowing me to print each person a To Do List. A friend suggested Categorizing ,but I like having the folders all visible in the Outlook Shortcuts. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Publishing an internal CRM web site using ISA
Hi all, I was wondering if its possible to publish an internally hosted CRM 1.2 web site to the internet using ISA 2000 ? I've done the basics as far setting up the web publishing and when I try and pull up the site, I get a network logon prompt which I think makes sense since the site seems to use network authentication to determine who you are. What I cannot figure out, is what to enter at this login prompt. I've tried my account, the administrator account and no luck. Anybody have any idea what to do ? Thanks Nick are you being prompted for Username password domain? or on...

how to increase mail box to receive large messages using outlook ?
I am having messages bounced saying mail box not large enough -- how do I fix this ?? Thanks Chris speak to your email admin - if they are messages you send, speak to the recipient so they can ask their admin. (but don;t hold your breath that you'll get it increased) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Jo...

How do I sum dollars in one column based on dates in another?
How can I sum the total numbers contained in one column based on dates in another column? Example: I need the total of 5 units sold int the month of January 2006. I have the sale ammounts in one column and the closing dates in another. What forumla would I use for this? Thanks in advance for any help. =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(B2:B50)=1),--(YEAR(B2:B50)=2006),A2:A50) for January change 1 in the month part to a different month -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com (remove ^^ from email address) Portland, Oregon "Alan" <Alan@discus...

Sum of cell which use if array function
Hi, I have many cells using if function which result is number. I'd like to sum all of those cells, unfortunatelly i cant do that, the result is none. How can i solve this one? Thank you If your IF formulas contain quotes around numbers, REMOVE THEM. Wrong: =IF(A1="x","10","0") Right: =IF(A1="x",10,0) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Pran" <Pran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F9DB21C-4DF6-45A5-AA22-D3F8CDA45F31@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have many cells using if funct...

Excel Sum with multiple (over 2 criteria)
I've been trying to get this to work for several hours and am at my wits ends. I have a data table with one column of numberical data that i need to sum based upon three or more critria contained in other columns. The data represents investments and their market values. I have named each of the columns with a range name. THe critria as described by their range names and examples of each are : Country - USA, Great Britain, Japan, etc. Currency - USD, EUR, GBP, JPY Type - Bond, Loan, Equity long_short - Long, Short I will do many different formulas once I have one that works. ...

Use of wildcards in formulae
HI I need a little advice. I'm trying to say that if C6 starts with the letter 'C' , then put 'Yes' , if not put 'No' I'm using this formula : =IF(C6="C*","Yes","No") but it's not giving the correct responses. Can someone advise? Thanks Hi Colin Try this =IF(COUNTIF(C6,"C*")>0,"Yes","No") HTH John "Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:tVEQEIAXJ2bLFwKd@chayes.demon.co.uk... > > HI > > I need a little advice. &g...

Use Formula in DGET criteria
Hi there, I'm getting an error with a DGET function. One of the criteria fields is a formula (an IF statement) which I assume is the problem. Is there any way round this i.e. being able to change the criteria based on the contents of another cell? Many thanks - David ...

Using Memory DC to speed up painting
hi, One way to speed up the painting is to use memory DCs. But if we use MM_HIMETRIC , it needs a very large bitmap, and slows down painting. Does anybody have any idea how to use Memory DCs in MM_HIMETRIC mode? thanks, Behzad hmm.What do you mean by large bitmap in MM_HIMETRIC mode.Whatever the mode the size of the mode would remain the same for the compatible bitmap because ultimately the size of the bitmap would be in pixels. Thanks Vipin "Behzad" <aaaa@Yahoo.Com> wrote in message news:uvmLPo8nEHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > hi, > One way to speed up the paint...

Buttons have stopped working?
Hi all, I have been in and out of my database throughout today, and i just went in to update it and all the buttons have stopped working! I get the following message whenever i click one of the buttons on any of the formss: "The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost. - The expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure]. - There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro." The only...

How to use AdvancedFilter wildcard to match end of string?
Using AdvancedFilter, I would like to match fields whose text values END with a specific character. For example, I'd like *o to match 'hippo', 'banjo', but NOT 'support'. Currently, when I apply the *o criterion, I get results that include all fields with an 'o' in any character position. Can someone please show me how to restrict the match to the end of the string only? One caveat: I imagine this may require use of a formula criterion, rather than the more simple form using column headings in the criteria range. But if it's possible to accomplish this...

Sum and round
I have a column of 10 numbers each with 4.4 in them I want to add the total to be 40 not 44 by rounding each component - without going into each cell and using the round equation - is there a Sumround function or way of doing this/ regards Simon On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 02:29:46 -0800 (PST), crossy75 <sjc5575@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: >I have a column of 10 numbers each with 4.4 in them > >I want to add the total to be 40 not 44 by rounding each component - >without going into each cell and using the round equation - is there a >Sumround function or way of doing this/ > >r...