Using Rept function

I want to repeat one cells entry somewhere else in my (same) worksheet and have used the Rept function successfully. However, ifthe 1st cell (e.g. A3 is in date format like 12/12/2003, when I use the Rept A3,1 function in another cell (e.g.cell R3), it returns the date as a number (37967). What I want is for the date to be repeated exactly as is (12/12/2003 or whatever date is typed).
Can anyone help please
0
anonymous (74722)

Don't use the REPT function.  Just enter =A3 and apply the date format you
want using Format, Cells if you do not automatically get it.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

0
jrrech (1932)
1/8/2004 3:31:25 PM
You can't unless you use text function.
Having said that, why are you using the REPT function?
If all that you want is the value in A3 you can use

=A3

as opposed to

=REPT(A3,1)

then format the same as in A3, or use

=TEXT(A3,"mm/dd/yyyy")

which will return the date like 12/12/2003 but it will be text which I
suppose is OK unless you are doing calculations

Dates in excel counts days since Jan 0 1900 and 12/12/03 is the same as
37967 days from 01/00/1900

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"ron c" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to repeat one cells entry somewhere else in my (same) worksheet and
have used the Rept function successfully. However, ifthe 1st cell (e.g. A3
is in date format like 12/12/2003, when I use the Rept A3,1 function in
another cell (e.g.cell R3), it returns the date as a number (37967). What I
want is for the date to be repeated exactly as is (12/12/2003 or whatever
date is typed).
> Can anyone help please

0
terre08 (1112)

I'm using outlook 2000 office sp3
I have enable the multi profile. I'm unable to open other user mailbox profile other then my own login mailbox. My exchange is 5.5p s3 i.e. I have login as in userA 1) I selected userA profile and keyin the right user id and password. I'm able to read userA mailbox 2) I selected userB profile and keyin userB user id and password. It give me the error message saying I'm unable to open default email folders. what the problem here any solution ...

error 1309 when restricted user uses any Office 2003 app
Administrator of a XP Pro PC can start MS Office 2003 with no problems. However, if a user on the same PC tries to start an app they get "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003" shortly followed by "Error 1309. Eror reading from file:D\PA561401.CAB." This happens a few times before the app actually launches then works normally. Was the administrative install completed properly? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipsti...

Saving graph when using =(RAND)
Hi all, I have a spreadsheet that uses the =(RAND) function to generate a graph. Each time I click F9, I see a different graph. Is there a way for me to save each generated graph on the same chart? I'm not sure I'm being clear. Please let me know if this is possible of if you need additional information. Thanks! -- deacs ------------------------------------------------------------------------ deacs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2321 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=271282 You could copy the ...

What is the Contacts field used for in the task window?
At the bottom of the window, there is a field for CONTACTS. I have no idea what this field is used for? It's used to indicate any contacts the task may be associated with. "tarrykin" <tarrykin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6114F8DC-67F0-4F3B-AC73-14BC8012ECA6@microsoft.com... > At the bottom of the window, there is a field for CONTACTS. I have no idea > what this field is used for? ...

how to use cursor to navigate active cells
With our Excel 2003, I could navigate to different cells by using the cursor keys. The cursor up key moved the active cell up. Left, right and down moved the active cell in the appropriate direction. I could select multiple cells by holding the shift key down and using the cursor keys to start selecting large groups of cells. Now, with Excel 2007, the cursor keys move the sheet around in the window, instead of moving the active cell in the indicated direction. I have found no way to select multiple cells. How can I get my Excel 2007 cursor keys to move the active cell, instead of moving t...

Covert javascripts to use in code behind form
How to convert a javascripts below to use in code behind form? <script type="text/javascript"> document.getElementById('Ok').disabled = true; setTimeout(function(){ document.getElementById('Ok').disabled = false; }, 15000); </script> Convert to: Dim strJScript As New StringBuilder strJScript.Append("document.getElementById('" + Ok.ClientID + "').disabled =true;") //help to convert below code: ------ setTimeout(function(){ document.getElementById('Ok').disabled = false; }, 15000); -----...

subforms: using input from one subform to update the other subform
Hello. I'm hoping that someone can help me. I have 2 subforms on separate tabs. Based on a user's input on subform 1, I would like a combo box on subform 2 to be enabled or disabled. Does anyone have a solution? Please let me know. Thanks in advance. Controls on subforms are always referred to via the parent form. See http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0031.htm at "The Access Web" for details. Note that depending on how the forms were added as subforms, the name of the subform control may be different than the name of the form being used as a sub...

German government warns against using MS Explorer
Now this must be the news of 2010 After nearly 10 years of unlimited patches, hotfixes and service Packs, IE is still a weak link in recent attacks on Google's systems. Either M$ is now threatened by Googles rise to prominence or IE is completely rubbish. Either way we should start taking instructions from the German government if this article is anything to go by. <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8463516.stm> Is google's search engine more powerful than M$ Bing? Are you talking about this Security Release from Microsoft below which was published a day...

public function
I'm a visual basic programmer and i've made a software that is trying to use a Visual C++ dll, named memctrl. i've implemented the code in the memctrl.cpp file and i'm trying to access the function i've made in the .cpp through Visual Basic 2005. I just can't access them. If i use some functions that are implemented in the memctrl.h, then i have access to them. My doubt is: I've learn that in Visual C++ we declare the functions header in the .h file and we implement the code in the .cpp file. What am i doing wrong? the code: memctrl.h #pragma once #include...

Using a formula to wrap text
I am using Excel 2000 I have a worksheet which is in effect an index containing a reference number and an address. the addresses were typed in, one cell per address, using ALT+ENTER at the end of each line laying it out like an address label. The cells are formatted a wrapped text. I am now able to make use of a linked spreadsheet from an Access database maintained elsewhere and more importantly always up to date. However, each line of the address is in a different column, 6 in all, and also the managers name, which is a bonus. I can use CONCATENATE to bring all the columns into one ...

How do I import a csv file into outlook using custom designed cont
I am using Outlook 2003 and I have already created a custom contact form which I will be using with all my contacts. I have already published it and selected it in Contact Properties box beside the line which reads, "When posting to this folder, use:". I can enter a single contact and it will use the correct form, however, since there are a few thousand of them, I would like to import them directly from a csv file which has headings to match my form. When I try to import, the "Map Custom Fields" button will only allow me to map to the former contact form. P...

I'd rather use an abacus than Money 05
What a nightmare! But with M05 you can "stop typing!" "Holy Cow" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2c8601c4a8ec$efabd2e0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > What a nightmare! ...

Function of colon between table names when query in design view
I am looking at a field from a query that is in design view. Inside the field are two field names from the same table which are separated by a colon. For example, Old and New are both fields from tblReplace and appear like this Old:New in design view. I believe the colon concatenates the field Old and New into a new field when you change the query view to datasheet view. Am I correct? Also, in a completely separate question if you are looking at a query in design view and there is a field in the (Field:) row, a table in the (Table:) row, and Group By in the (Total:) row wh...

Recently used file list #2
The recently used file list in Excel does not reliably display all most recently used files. Settings under Tools/Options/General is set for 9 files. While the list contains 9 files, recent ones that I've opened, then closed do not appear. Some do. Some don't. Anyone know what's going on? Depends on the version of excel. In xl97, if you opened the file from Windows explorer, then it didn't appear in the MRU list. In xl2002, it does. (I don't recall xl2k's behavior.) But if you did a File|Open, they should appear in that list in all versions (IIRC). Rick wro...

Creating entity record in inactive view using crm 3.0 sdk
hi everybody, I want to add entity record in inactive view by using crm 3.0 sdk.Already i created a record by using sdk but it was added in' active' view records,but my requirement is to add record directly in 'inactive' view records. Can anybody suggest me how to solve this problem ? Pls provide code samples if anybody have. Waiting for replies. Thanks Prabhakar. you will have to create the record (which you have already done), and then set it's state/status as a separate operation. Dave Ireland "prabhakar.penugonda" <prabhakarpenugonda@discussio...

Julian Date function runs too slow
This code works but is very slow. It loops through the Julian Dates in a table, converts them to Gregorian Dates, and then updates an empty field in the same table. The table is a temporary table that is generated through a prior query then updated using this Julian date function. I am trying to set up a custom reporting feature from a Pervasive SQL Server ODBC connection where the dates are stored as Julian dates and then use the converted dates to link back to dates in another database to gather the data needed for the report. Below is my working code that converts 13,000 r...

Date & using if formula
Gidday, I have used a formula to make the days show from the corresponding cells above. ie: 13/3/07 14/3/07 Tuesday Wednesday I want value to be 0 Value to be 2.3 Now what I want to do is, for any tuesday, underneath the date shown for it to have a value of 0 and every other day not tuesday to have a value of 2.3. Many thanks in advance One way .. If real dates are entered in A1 across, place in A3: =IF(A1="","",IF(WEEKDAY(A1,2)=2,0,2.3)) Copy across as far as required -- Max Singapore ht...

Error when send email from campaign response using template through workflow #2
Hello, There is an invalid argument error shown in workflow records if send email from campaign response using template. Is it impossible to send email in this way ? ...

sorting using dates
when I sort dates. the results are NOT appearing in order. Such as 01/15/02; 01/20/02; 02/15/03; 01/05/01; - it will sort with my 02/15/03 after my 01/15/02 instead at the very end. How do I fix. Thank you. Make sure all dates are numbers. if 01/15/01 sorts last ascending it must be text which is greater than numbers, copy an empty cell, select the cell with 01/15/01, do edit>paste special and select add, if it changes to 36906 then reformat as date Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Tpason" wrote: > when I sort dates. the results are NOT appearing in > order. Such as 0...

Using checkbox to edit criteria
I have a table (Table1) that has a field referred to as 'Type'. For some of the records, 'Type' is null and for others there is data in that field. I would like to run a query that returns the records from thTable1 where 'Type' Is Null based on whether a checkbox is checked on a form, however, I am unsure as to how to accomplish this. Here is the query that I have now which is not working: Select * FROM Table1 WHERE Table1.Type IIF(chkType = FALSE, Is Null, Is Not Null); Thank you in advance for your help. Try this -- Select * FROM Table1 ...

Using PowerPoint to create slides for karaoke lyrics
Our music ministry is wanting to use PowerPoint slides of our original music on our overhead computer projection system during church services. We need to be able find individual slides quickly since we do not plan our song list before services. Does anyone have an easy solution for making this possible. Will a catalog work? Should we use Access instead? It's probably time to move on from PowerPoint if you need to find songs quickly. I use a Program called Presentation Manager where the songs are listed in alphabetical order and you can search for a song even when you are ...

move to the right after hitting enter using macros
Hi All, I am attempting to cause movement 4 cells to the right of present location after I enter data and press enter. I had thought a Macro would do this, but I can't tie a Macro to a cell and a separate button always takes me to the original cell. How can I make the movement go right four cells and wait for input after hitting enter in the previous cell? Thanks, Al This example is coded for cell B9, but it can be modified for any set of cells. Enter the following event macro in the worksheet code area: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim r As...

Adding Field Descriptions when using Create Field Method
Is it possible to add the field description when creating Fields using the Create Fields Method. I am creating a series of tables, where the field information is taken from a table: TABLE NAME FIELD NAME FIELD DESCRIPTION FIELD LENGTH FIELD TYPE Institution INSTAPP Indicator for HEFCE funding approximations 2 dbinteger Institution RECID Record type indicator 10 dbtext Institution UKPRN UK Provider Reference Number 20 ...

Get-Content String Pattern Matching Using CSV File
get-content .\today_all.txt | select-string -pattern '\(' -notmatch | select-string 'Alpha', 'Bravo', 'Charlie' -simplematch | set-content ..\today_filter.txt I would like to replace the specific strings ('Alpha', 'Bravo', 'Charlie') in the above command line with a simple text file so that additional filters can be added without having to change the command itself: filters.csv Filter Alpha Bravo Charlie .... Please advise? matekus -- Illiud Latine dici non potest Try get-content .\today_all.txt | select...

How can I use this expression "=SUM(RC[a0]:RC[a1])" work in Excel
I need to insert this formula "=SUM(RC[s0$]:RC[s1$])" in a cell such that the values a0 and a1 are variables. How can this be done? Please assist and advice. dim s0 as string 'I'd use long's dim s1 as string s0 = "3" s1 = "6" somecell.formular1c1 = "=SUM(RC[" & s0 & "]:RC[" & s1 & "])" funmi_Bash wrote: > > I need to insert this formula "=SUM(RC[s0$]:RC[s1$])" in a cell such that the > values a0 and a1 are variables. > How can this be done? Please assist and advice...