Using IF for conditional formatting?

Need help with displaying blank cells when formulas are
inside.  The formulas would display a value if the
contents of a source cell is filled in.  I'm attempting to
use in the formula cells(like B2):

IF(A2="","",A2*5)

If A2 is null, then display blank in B2, else calculate A2
* 5.

Is this the best approach to keeping formula cells clear
until data is entered?

Thanks!!!!
0
anonymous (74722)

Yes

--
For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup.

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Barb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Need help with displaying blank cells when formulas are
> inside.  The formulas would display a value if the
> contents of a source cell is filled in.  I'm attempting to
> use in the formula cells(like B2):
>
> IF(A2="","",A2*5)
>
> If A2 is null, then display blank in B2, else calculate A2
> * 5.
>
> Is this the best approach to keeping formula cells clear
> until data is entered?
>
> Thanks!!!!

0
terre08 (1112)

Macro to save file using vlookup...
Here's what I'm trying to do... I want a macro that will take a date value from a cell (say B2 on sheet1) and compare it to a list of closing dates (month's end closing). It needs to then make folders for the year and month (if they don't already exist) and save the file in that folder. The sheet with the closing dates is setup like this: Month Ending Fiscal Year November 11/28/04 2005 December 12/31/04 2005 And so on... Thanks for the help up front! ...

Check Box Formatting ??
Hello Everyone. Its me again. Please can you help me with the following. I have a workbook with 13 sheets in it. Name of first sheet is Holidays. The others are named Apr, May, ......... Mar. I would like to place a check box (if this is the right thing to use)on each monthly sheet that would send the value of cell Mar!I48 to Holidays!D13 and Mar!I50 to Holidays!D17 in one operation. If the check box is ticked the values of I48 and I50 should be transfered. If not ticked the value should default to zero. This is to be repeated on Apr, May etc obvioulsy to different cells on the the ...

Convert datatype using query
I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO. The UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has a field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table. Both fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set to Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it is a lookup field. I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to Number as the field contains both numbers and text. So when I ran my query that I created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error bec...

how do i use outlook as my default?
i do not know how to make outlook work. I have it installed but, when I try to send an e-mail it always gives me a message that says error cannot find server or something of that sort...I use yahoo..but cannot use outlook..can anyone help? nina <nina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > i do not know how to make outlook work. I have it installed but, when > I try to send an e-mail it always gives me a message that says error > cannot find server or something of that sort...I use yahoo..but > cannot use outlook..can anyone help? If you're using yahoo.com in the server...

Using Quotes in Formulas
Hello everyone, Basic question: Is there a set quideline on when to use quotes in formulas and array formulas? -- Thank you... Elaine Hi! Can you be more specific? You must use quotes when referencing text values: =IF(A1="Red","yes it is","no it isn't") =SUMIF(A1:A10,"Ten",B1:B10) Do not use quotes when referencing numbers: =IF(A1=10,10,0) =SUMIF(A1:A10,10,B1:B10) Biff "Elaine" <Elaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5879DD53-B927-401E-8304-3D158C51B232@microsoft.com... > Hello everyone, > > Ba...

Copying image to cell
Hi. I am using Excel 2002 (XP). I would like to accomplish the following for some cells. If the cell is below a certain value, the cell value is CIRCLED in green. If the cell value is above a certain value, the cell value is BOXED in red. I can achieve the boxing in red by using conditional formatting of the cell borders, but I cannot figure out how to accomplish the circle. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Mike. One way: put this in your worksheet code module: Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() Const CERTAIN_VALUE = 100 Dim cell As Range Dim shp As ...

Problems viewing the Address Book using Outlook Express
Hello, I'm using OE6 and I would like my address book to be displayed in the lower left hand side of the window. I'm not having any luck trying to get it back. I go into the "View" menu, but there is no option for that. Can someone help? Thank you. This is not an Outlook group, not OE. The programs are not related. As I recall, you'd need to use View > Layout to display your Contacts, but I haven't seen OE in years. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:108C5F33-DE91-4B36-A227-1...

how do I make Excel default to General number format?
I have installed Excel 97 but the General cell format insists on formatting as the number format with two decimal places. Is the number you enter already a two decimal number? General removes any type of formating, and represents the contens as WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet "rjmo" wrote: > I have installed Excel 97 but the General cell format insists on formatting > as the number format with two decimal places. You may have accidentally changed the "Normal" Style. Go to Format | Style... and make sure "General" is applied to the "Normal" style. ...

stationary how to make and use several
I need to use serveral differant stationaries to use with differant clients, how do I make more than one and use it, I have one made right now, but can not figure how to use it in a new email, I do not want it to be my default, I only need it once a week or so. ...

Page format changes when document is shared
I have an Excel document that was created by someone else. I saved it and shared it. When printing, the page format is different for others than it is for me. Also, the page format changes for those users if I turn the "save" function off. How can I get the page format to be the same for each user. Everyone is using the same version of Excel. ...

Please, need help with multiple "if" conditions
This spreadsheet has 5 columns. In Column B, "District," you input the number of a school district. There are 20 districts, so these will between 1 and 20, inclusive. Each district will appear many times in the column (there are over 1,500 rows). Now: Dave is assigned to districts 1,3,4,6,9,17 and 18. Bill is assigned to districts 2,5,11,12,14,15 and 20 Mary is assigned to districts 7,8,10,13,16 and 19. (I'm guessing at these assignments - the actual assignments may be slightly different) What I need to do is configure this spreadsheet so that when the district number is ent...

Recipient Policies with more than one condition #2
Hi Guys, Listen i just had a server crash and i now need to resetup the Recipient policys for the various domains, I need to make a custom filter for anyone in a spefiic security group, and if possible i also would like it to contain a attribute of 1 for the distribution groups? I had is setup before for Description and and group attribute 1? but i think the first one would be better? please let me know as i can't recall the custom script???? Thanks in advance. Greg Remer Can you post what you want to do? Members of SecurityGroup1 OR Members of DistributionGroup1?? -- Bharat Sunej...

Validating enumeration of a schema using XmlReader / XmlDocument . c#
Hello, I am validating a xmlDocument in .net using XmlReaderSettings , XmlReader and the .Validate method of XmlDocument. The validation is working properly except for the fact I am receiving no errors when the values do not match the enumeration defined in the Schema. Is there a setting I can modify to force validation on the values defined in the enumeration. ex. If I pass in 5, I do not receive an error or warning. <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string"> <xsd:enumeration value="1" /> <xsd:enumeration value="2" /> <xsd:en...

Use that update
--rjwbztnq Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="tscfwovfm"; type="multipart/alternative" --tscfwovfm Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="fbsqpmek" --fbsqpmek Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to protect your computer. This update includes the functionality = of all ...

"Recently Used File List"
Using Excel 2002... Is there any way to remove files from this list other than waiting for them to be replaced over time? You could remove then. Here is code showing how to get at it Dim i As Long For i = 0 To Application.RecentFiles.Count i = i + 1 If Application.RecentFiles(i).Name = "ABC.xls" Then Application.RecentFiles(i).Delete End If Next i But don't forget, some items in the list will be just the file name, some will include the path -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "phil6666&qu...

Creating Case using web services

Using =now() to display date format like "mmdd"
I am building a quoting tool and for the quote number, I am trying to concatenate "QUO", the first 3 characters of the customer name, and the month & date. So what I want is: QUO-SON-0225 But when I use the "NOW" command for the date, I get: QUO-SON-39869.3365444444 How can I reformat the result of the "NOW" command to get just the "mmdd" that I'm looking for? Hi Try ="QUO-"&LEFT(Customer,3)&"-"&TEXT(NOW(),mmyy") where Customer is the cell ref containing the Customer name -- Regards Roger Govier <r...

GetSaveAsFilename
When a user closes a workbook I want my macro to retrieve the username logged in to the machine and use that as the filename. Is this possible? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ In a general module: Option Explicit Private Declare Function apiGetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _ "GetUserNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long Function fOSUserName() As String ' Returns the network login name Dim lngLen As L...

COUNTIF Multiple Conditions
How do I use countif with multiple conditions Column B has dates Column C has Various data or Blank I need to count the number of non blanks in column C if column A is one of 3 dates I have tried the array formula below, but am getting the wrong answer {=SUM((Sheet1!$B$2:$B$100=A6)*(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$100=A7)*(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$100=A8)*(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$100<>""))} A6, A7 and A8 are the cells witth the dates in -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getin...

Conditional import of Excel sheets
Hi, maybe someone can help me with the following: on a weekly basis I need to import 3 Excel files into an existing empty table (I run a delete query on this table before the import). The Excel files are stored in the same folder every week. Each file has a field showing [Current Year/Week No]. The three files show the current week for this year, previous year and the year before the previous year. How can you instruct MS Access (2003) to look up this field and to import only the approrpiate files (i.e. the files that refer to the reporting week)? I do have a calender function from which the u...

SMTP Connector not being used and has odd name in queue
I have a 4 node Exchange 2003 A/P cluster w/ a non clustered server as the front end. Right now, all of the servers use their own SMTP VS to send email. I want them all to use the front end as a bridgehead for outbound email. Easy enough... So, I create the SMTP connector and list the front end as the bridgehead, and add in the address space, as I've done many a time. All appears good. But. As soon as I do this, all outbound mail stops. I then look at each server and see that they show the SMTP connector and it's filling up. Also, the name of the connector isn't what I called it...

Using xpath with xslt ?
Hi, I would like to use xpath with xslt. I know that this should be possible, but I dont get it ! Here is what I have tried so far: ==================================== my xml file: ==================================== <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <CategoryList> <Category ID="01"> <MainCategory>XML1</MainCategory> <Description>This is a list my XML articles.</Description> <Active>true</Active> </Category> <Category ID="02"> <MainCategory>XML2...

Text formatting
Hi gurus... I would like to run it by you, experts... Here is the problem: I woul like to build a macro that format the text so that the first letter of each word is a capital... For Instance a1= "perform backup" I would like the macro to transform the entry in a1= "Perform Backup"... Can someone provide guidance as to what the macro should look like or what function to use? Many thanks from Brew City Michel Try in B1: =PROPER(A1) Copy B1 down If desired, copy col B and overwrite values in col A via: Copy col B > Paste special on col A > Check "Values...

Using Scheduled Tasks to run Macros problem
I have a database with two macros in it. When i run these macros from within the database, they run fine and when I run the shortcuts to the macros it runs fine. However, whenever I try to run the macro via Scheduled Tasks they frequently fail and I get error messages with regards to docmd scripts, OLE errors etc. Is there any reason why something would run OK normally, but not via a Scheduled Task that I should be aware of? I can give more specific error message details and VBA if it would help. Thanks There may be a permissions problem. Try setting up the tasks to run as ...

Conditional Footer Code
I have a text box (Text586) in the Detail Section that is based upon a dlookup command and shows either a 1 or 0. I would like the text box in the Report Footer (txt589) to be visible if the value count of Text586 >0. This report can be run with different parameters that could show the detail section as one record or 20 records. My code works just only when there is one record in the report. If Me.Text586 > 0 Then Me.Text589.Visible = True Else End If You use DLookup() or DCount() or just count() or something in the report footer. I generally conside...