Using cell data to referece another cell

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I don't really know what to call what I
want to do, so the built-in Help function isn't really ... well,
helpful.

Okay. I have a list in column G (text). In column A I have a series of
numbers. For the sake of argument, let's say A1 has "3", and G1 has
"Red", G2 has "Orange", and G3 has "Yellow". I would like for *B1* to
be able to read the value in A1, then copy the value from [Column G,
Row (value of A1)]; so in this case B1 would read "Yellow".

This would be even better if I can import the column of numbers from a
text file, then have the formula go to work automatically.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!
- Emery

--
odinspearx
odinspearx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26327

You want to use Column A values as an index into COlumn G   Try:

=indirect("G"&A1) as the formula in cell B1
--
Gary's Student

"odinspearx" wrote:

> Hi, I hope someone can help me. I don't really know what to call what I
> want to do, so the built-in Help function isn't really ... well,
> helpful.
>
> Okay. I have a list in column G (text). In column A I have a series of
> numbers. For the sake of argument, let's say A1 has "3", and G1 has
> "Red", G2 has "Orange", and G3 has "Yellow". I would like for *B1* to
> be able to read the value in A1, then copy the value from [Column G,
> Row (value of A1)]; so in this case B1 would read "Yellow".
>
> This would be even better if I can import the column of numbers from a
> text file, then have the formula go to work automatically.
>
> Can anyone help with this?
>
> Thanks!
> - Emery
>

> --
> odinspearx
> odinspearx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26327
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395977

0
GarysStudent (1572)
8/16/2005 1:36:01 AM
Awesome! Thanks, that works perfectly!!

But what is it "called" ? Reference? Indirect Reference? Something like
that?

--
odinspearx
odinspearx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26327
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395977

Validating Data on a Form with a subForm
I have a form with subforms with data validation in the main Form's Before_Update Event. The problem that I am encountering is when the user has not updated all required data but enters the subform the Form Before_Update Event fires and the validation will fail. Is there a way to know what the next object has been selected might be or how I would not perform the Form's validation when the subform has been selected? Any help will be appreciated!!! No. Access saves the main form's record at the point when you move from the main form into the subform. Any record that fails v...

Linking Formats Across Cells
anyone know if I can link formats across cells? For example, if I fill a cell with a color, can I link it to another cell that will do the same ? thanks. Try the FormatPainter, the little PaintBrush icon up in the tool bar...........click on your colored cell, then click on the icon, then click and drag on the cells you want to be the same........... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "RB" <RB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE8ABE47-2671-447C-8CC6-2D784EEECE00@microsoft.com... > anyone know if I can link formats across cells? For example, if I fill a cell ...

How do I connect cell color to bar chart color?
I have seen an excel spread sheet bar chart where the colors of the bars were connected to the color of the cell. I was not able to determine how that was accomplished and the author of the spread sheet no longer works for the company that sent me the data. Does anyone know how this can be done? Hi Bob, It's possible this was done using a vba macro. For a non VBA approach have a look at Jon's examples of conditional charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy Bob Freerks wrote: > I have seen an excel spread sheet bar chart where the color...

Office apps won't open, report Office in use by another use
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel A few days ago, our Office applications started showing the report that "An Office program is being used by "user." your installation exceeds the number of installations permitted by thelicense agreement. Click More Information to learn about Microsoft Office licensing." But OFFICE ISN'T BEING USED BY ANYONE. All computers have been restarted to no avail. HELP! <sakas@officeformac.com> wrote: > A few days ago, our Office applications started showing the report that > "An Office p...

Biztalk or Scribe for our data integration?
We recently started using CRM 3.0 and the time has come to decide on a data migration plan. So far I've looked at Scribe and it seems promising but my higher-ups are suggesting we take a look at BizTalk. Eventually we will need to pull (two way integration will be required with at least two legacy systems) data from several legacy systems including flat files, SQL Server and a Progress database to name a few. The possibility also exists that we'll want to accept Word, Excel and HTML documents from customers and have information they contain added to our database. Is BizTalk cap...

Data value display attributes linked to table attributes
Is there a way to cause data value points to take on attributes such as bold, italic or color set at the table from which they are derived? For example, suppose I was charting hits at several web sites as function of time, and the some characteristic of the site was being altered back and forth (say font "A" and font "B") as part of an experiment. I can easily produce a line graph x=hits y=time for the various sites, but these is no way to visualize which condition (A or B) was in effect at each data value point. I'd like to be able to display the portion of each li...

300 Locations+ using RMS?
Does anyone out there have 300-400 locations operating on RMS? Is this even possible. Currently we have 80 with a projected 150 next year and 200 following. Within 5-10 years we will hit 500-1,000. Can RMS support a company of our size? Has anyone pushed the system to this level? -- Jocelyn wow :) Is there a HQ Dongle with license up to 1000+ locations...your company is rocketing :) Is your company in fashion retail ?Food? Your implementation is quite big. how was the performance of RMS hitting 80 locations? Are you using HQ (I suppose you do.)? how's the speed in terms of conne...

Using auto
Hi, Good Day to everyone... I 'am currently using Microsoft Outlook 2003...My Boss wants me to make accounts that will be able to send and receive messages....I have been trying to do it manually, but when I try to do the send/receive messages an error occurs. Someone explained to me to do a Auto Configuration using the cpanel of the site....I tried it but then I don't know how to use it.....in the Tools menu the send and receive button disappeared.....i have no idea on what is currently happening.....and I can't make sure if the mail accounts have been add to outlook e-m...

How to update one form when closing another ?
I have two forms open. frmPeople has the Focus frmAccount does not. frmAccount has subFormPeopleList I add a new person to frmPeople (which is linked to frmAccount) Question 1: When I close frmPeople I want to update frmAccount so the new person shows in subFormPeopleList Quetion 2: But I'm also wondering if I add code to the "close event" for frmPeople to update frmAccount What will this do if frmAccount is not open? Will it add the person twice? I'm guessing not as updating a form doesn't really add data to the table... right? Thanks for any help. Mel Thanks...

How do I insert a radio button using Excel 2007?
How do I insert a 2 radio button group using Excel 2007 and of course how do i program them? thank you in advance. The following code will create a Frame and two Option Buttons at cell C3. Change the various Top and Left properties to get them positioned as you want. Sub AAA() Dim FRA As OLEObject Dim BTN1 As OLEObject Dim BTN2 As OLEObject Dim WS As Worksheet Dim TopLeftCell As Range Dim VBComp As VBIDE.VBComponent Dim CodeMod As VBIDE.CodeModule Dim N As Long Set WS = Worksheets("Sheet1") Set TopLeftCell = WS.Rang...

use of countif()
Hi. Does anyone knows how can apply the countif() function partial? (for ex. If i have the column A10:A100 to apply countif() in the follow cells A54, A67, A72:A79 , A87, A91:A95, A98.) If that impossible, any other idea? Thanks. One way =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT({"a2","a5","a8","e10"}),"a")) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "nikos" <nikos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0702BFB4-B60A-42D4-8B04-C5D055CC5072@microsoft.com... > Hi. > > Does anyone knows how can appl...

Getting a LockMatchID error using sp_rename
When I'm trying to rename a table in the tempdb table, I'm getting an error when I run it in a stored procedure or code, but it works ok on MSSMS. I get the error: Invalid EXECUTE statement using object "Object", method "LockMatchID". EXEC sp_rename 'Tempdb.dbo.oldFile' , 'newFile' Don't ask me why I have to mess with the tempdb files (This is probably the problem). But I have old legacy code that writes to the tempdb database. On Jul 14, 10:00=A0am, Cindy Lee <danparker...@yahoo.com> wrote: > When I'm trying to renam...

Need to extrcat data from one Excel file to an other
Hi there I'm looking form a solution to press on button in a Excel sheet which ill exctract some datas from an other Excel sheet which can be close or opened. It should beworing on Windows XP, 2003, Vista and 7 as well with 32 bits and 64 bits. Thanks in avance for your advise and best regards Tra Browse through the example codes found at Ron de Bruin's site. http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm Look at the 'Copy/paste/merge" section. Should be some good material to start with. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 28 May 2011 19:53:03 +0200, Tra Sumaka <trasumak...

enter data to different tables through one form
i have 5 tables. all of them has pers_no as primary key. they have one to one relation ship through the primary key amongest them. i want to create one form having a text box pers_no where i will enter the data and i want the data to get entered in each table. so how i am not able to do that. i request all you guys to help me. thank you. Sorry for the bad news, but that's not the right way to use Access. You cannot write to 5 tables from one form like that. If you are subclassing, you could create a form for entering the main form info, and then 5 subforms (probably on tab pages) f...

Scatter plot
I have an XY scatter graph with some points in it. My data in the spreadsheet looks like this: [Title] [X-value] [Y-value] [size] Data 1 | 10 | 10 | 1 Data 2 | 33 | 44 | 5 What I want to do is to change the size of the data point according to the value I specify. Right now, I have to individually modify each point and add a number corresponding to the size. Is there anyway to take the size-value from the spreadsheet and change the size of the point in the graph? In the long run, I am also looking to modify the color. If the solution requires some VBA coding, I am up for that. Any sugges...

Is there a way to protect just one cell, not the whole sheet?
The books I read seem to indicate so, but say you first must turn on the 'Protect Sheet' option. When I do that, everything is protected. Any help much appreciated. Hi try the following: - first select all cells you don't want to protect - goto 'Format - Cells - Protection' and uncheck 'Locked' - now protect your sheet -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Fred Exley" <fexly221@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:10hsd5t42ghdt65@corp.supernews.com... > The books I read seem to indicate so, but say you first must turn on the > &...

Importing data #2
hi I would like to import data from the web and although this is quite simple in Excel 2003 the new data (that comes in upon refresh) replaces the old. I was wondering if there is a way to keep previous history of the data, make Excel fill in adjacent cells with the new data for example. Thanks for taking the time to read this George hi, if you are using Microsoft query, the answer would be no. The Micorsoft query becomes a named range in excel that is linked to the query. by desing it expands and contracts at refresh to accommidate new data. I think to accomplish what you want yo...

Another unclear e-learning question
Hi! The question is: "If you were creating a culture of your own using the CultureAndRegionInfoBuilder class, which value would you set for the CultureAndRegionModifiers parameter ?" 1. None 2. Neutral. 3. Replacement In this question it's not quite clear if the question mean if a new culture from scratch should be created or if an existing culture should be changed. If the question mean that a competely new culture from scratch than alternative 1 or 2 should be used. Alternative 1 for a neutral culture and 2 for a specific culture. If the question mean...

Incoming mails from another external domain are lost
Hi, I have a Exchange Front-End & Back-End combination. Front-End Server also has SMTP Relay server and Intelligent Message Filtering. Front-end server is in a DMZ Zone. I have a pix firewall. I got a peculiar problem. One user has complained me saying he has not received a email sent from another company (external domain say xyz.com). I have checked the server logs and the filtered spam emails. I could not see any email from xyz.com in the server logs. Also the sender from xyz.com did not receive any NDR for this mail also. Can anybody help me on this? Regards Ganapathy Is the...

standard color dialog box inside another dialog box
Hi, does anybody know if it is possible to place a standard color dialog box inside another dialog box? I'm using the MFC library. Any snippets of code are welcomed. Pawel ...

Two different values in a single cell...
Hi, Is it possible to have two different values (coming from another sheet) in a single cell? For example, 0.87 (0.97) In that case 0.87 comes from a cell on sheet1 and 0.97 from a cell on sheet2. Thanks for the help. Patrick, Hi You can concatenate two results into one cell. This makes it inot a text cell, however, so you cannot do maths on it quite so easily. To join the info, just use the CONCATENATE function, or the & sign =A2&" " &A3 You may also need the TEXT funtion, depending on what format you want the result to be -- Andy. "Patrick" <an...

Offsetting Chart data
I require to view data in chart format, the problem is as the data lines are so close I need to offset the data to view all on one chart for comparison. Can anyone help me with this?? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ What does that mean? "Offset the data?" If you want to see only a subset of the data, see the Dynamic Charts page of my site. You should be able to adapt one of the examples to your needs. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -...

OLE Object Data Type Question
Hi, a friend of mine supports a very simple Access 2000 database for keeping tracks of his .JPG file. The database has a table with several field, and one of them is of OLE Object data typy. He opens that table, rightclicks OLE Object field, selects Insert Oject and creates a link to a .JPG file. After finishing insertion the OLE Object field contains kind of "MSPicture3" or "MSImage3" (I don't remember exactly the text). Before a month ago he moved his database to another computer and now after insertion into the OLE Object field a link, it contains "...

Data Labels on Clustered Column w/ 3D Visual effect #2
Clustered Columns can have Alignment as "Inside End" This doesn't seem possible with 3D Visual effect Is there a way to resolve this? Yes, use 2D charts. They provide a better representation of the values being plotted without the implied false third dimension. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ emwashburn wrote: > Clustered Columns can have Alignment as "Inside End" > > This doesn't seem possible with 3D Visual effect > > Is there a way to ...

XML Insert data C# ASP.net 2.0 Need to know how to insert by speci
Hello, I have the following XML Schema: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Schedule> <Day Name="Monday"> </Day> <Day Name="Tuesday"> </Day> <Day Name="Wednesday"> </Day> <Day Name="Thursday"> </Day> <Day Name="Friday"> </Day> <Day Name="Saturday"> </Day> <Day Name="Sunday"> </Day> </Schedule> I want users to be able to input the following tiomeblocks for a scheduling s...