Using a Windows Shortcut to Open to Specific Sheet in Workbook

I want to be able to create a shortcut icon to each individual sheet inside
of one workbook.  Is this possible?

I am aware that there are macros that you can use inside of Excel to make
the workbook always open to a specific sheet, but this is not exactly what I
am trying to do.  I have multiple open jobs at any given time, and I keep
information on these jobs in one Workbook.  Each job has its own folder on
the hard drive.  I would like to create a shortcut inside of each folder on
the hard drive that opens the same Workbook, but opens it directly to the
sheet that corresponds to the job folder in which the shortcut is located.  I
feel as if there should be some parameters that I can set inside of the
shortcut icon to direct me to a specific workbook and a specific sheet inside
of the workbook, but I'm unable to figure this out.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

I have just made this posting elsewhere:-

In Sheet1 cell A 6 type:-

=Sheet3!A6

In the same cell (Sheet1 cell A6)

 - right hand click once

 - click on Hyperlink

  - Insert Hyperlink should launch

 - select Place in This Document (by clicking it) on the left hand side

 - in the Type the cell reference: box (field) on the right hand side select
A6

 - select Sheet3 (for example) on the right hand side (by clicking on that
option)

 - click OK

 -  Sheet1 cell A 6 will now change format to show that a hyperlink has been
added

 - Save the file (if required)

Clicking in Sheet1 cell A6 will now take you to Sheet3 cell A6 automatically.

A QUICK reaction to what you have posted is that it, "looks do-able". Create
hyperlinks as above.

Thanks!

"Staying Productive" wrote:

> I want to be able to create a shortcut icon to each individual sheet inside
> of one workbook.  Is this possible?
>
> I am aware that there are macros that you can use inside of Excel to make
> the workbook always open to a specific sheet, but this is not exactly what I
> am trying to do.  I have multiple open jobs at any given time, and I keep
> information on these jobs in one Workbook.  Each job has its own folder on
> the hard drive.  I would like to create a shortcut inside of each folder on
> the hard drive that opens the same Workbook, but opens it directly to the
> sheet that corresponds to the job folder in which the shortcut is located.  I
> feel as if there should be some parameters that I can set inside of the
> shortcut icon to direct me to a specific workbook and a specific sheet inside
> of the workbook, but I'm unable to figure this out.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance
" I want to be able to create a shortcut icon to each individual sheet inside
of one workbook.  Is this possible?"

Yes: create hyperlinks on one Worksheet to look at other Worksheets within
the same Workbook.

Thanks.
thanks for the response, but after reading your response I feel as if I
haven't been clear in my question.

Your method requires me to be inside of the workbook itself.  I am trying to
use a Windows Shortcut Icon to open a workbook to a specific sheet inside of
the workbook, instead of just the specific workbook itself.

EXAMPLE: Workbook named "Master"
               Sheets named "A" "B" "C" "D"

I would like to create four different shortcut icons on my Desktop, let's
say.  Shortcut "A" would open up workbook "Master" to sheet "A."  Shortcut
"B" would open up workbook "Master" to sheet "B."  Shortcut "C" would open up
workbook "Master" to sheet "C." Shortcut "D" would open up workbook "Master"
to sheet "D."

"trip_to_tokyo" wrote:

> I have just made this posting elsewhere:-
>
> In Sheet1 cell A 6 type:-
>
> =Sheet3!A6
>
> In the same cell (Sheet1 cell A6)
>
>  - right hand click once
>
>  - click on Hyperlink
>
>   - Insert Hyperlink should launch
>
>  - select Place in This Document (by clicking it) on the left hand side
>
>  - in the Type the cell reference: box (field) on the right hand side select
> A6
>
>  - select Sheet3 (for example) on the right hand side (by clicking on that
> option)
>
>  - click OK
>
>  -  Sheet1 cell A 6 will now change format to show that a hyperlink has been
> added
>
>  - Save the file (if required)
>
> Clicking in Sheet1 cell A6 will now take you to Sheet3 cell A6 automatically.
>
> A QUICK reaction to what you have posted is that it, "looks do-able". Create
> hyperlinks as above.
>
> If my comments have helped please hit Yes.
>
> Thanks!
>

> "Staying Productive" wrote:
>
> > I want to be able to create a shortcut icon to each individual sheet inside
> > of one workbook.  Is this possible?
> >
> > I am aware that there are macros that you can use inside of Excel to make
> > the workbook always open to a specific sheet, but this is not exactly what I
> > am trying to do.  I have multiple open jobs at any given time, and I keep
> > information on these jobs in one Workbook.  Each job has its own folder on
> > the hard drive.  I would like to create a shortcut inside of each folder on
> > the hard drive that opens the same Workbook, but opens it directly to the
> > sheet that corresponds to the job folder in which the shortcut is located.  I
> > feel as if there should be some parameters that I can set inside of the
> > shortcut icon to direct me to a specific workbook and a specific sheet inside
> > of the workbook, but I'm unable to figure this out.  Any help would be
> > greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance
You can open a workbook from a shortcut but you cannot designate which
worksheet it will open as active.

To specify the worksheet you must use VBA workbook_open code within the
workbook.

Or code to make that sheet active when you close and save.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:37:02 -0800, Staying Productive
<StayingProductive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>thanks for the response, but after reading your response I feel as if I
>haven't been clear in my question.
>
>Your method requires me to be inside of the workbook itself.  I am trying to
>use a Windows Shortcut Icon to open a workbook to a specific sheet inside of
>the workbook, instead of just the specific workbook itself.
>
>EXAMPLE: Workbook named "Master"
>               Sheets named "A" "B" "C" "D"
>
>I would like to create four different shortcut icons on my Desktop, let's
>say.  Shortcut "A" would open up workbook "Master" to sheet "A."  Shortcut
>"B" would open up workbook "Master" to sheet "B."  Shortcut "C" would open up
>workbook "Master" to sheet "C." Shortcut "D" would open up workbook "Master"
>to sheet "D."
>
>"trip_to_tokyo" wrote:
>
>> I have just made this posting elsewhere:-
>>
>> In Sheet1 cell A 6 type:-
>>
>> =Sheet3!A6
>>
>> In the same cell (Sheet1 cell A6)
>>
>>  - right hand click once
>>
>>  - click on Hyperlink
>>
>>   - Insert Hyperlink should launch
>>
>>  - select Place in This Document (by clicking it) on the left hand side
>>
>>  - in the Type the cell reference: box (field) on the right hand side select
>> A6
>>
>>  - select Sheet3 (for example) on the right hand side (by clicking on that
>> option)
>>
>>  - click OK
>>
>>  -  Sheet1 cell A 6 will now change format to show that a hyperlink has been
>> added
>>
>>  - Save the file (if required)
>>
>> Clicking in Sheet1 cell A6 will now take you to Sheet3 cell A6 automatically.
>>
>> A QUICK reaction to what you have posted is that it, "looks do-able". Create
>> hyperlinks as above.
>>
>> If my comments have helped please hit Yes.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> "Staying Productive" wrote:
>>
>> > I want to be able to create a shortcut icon to each individual sheet inside
>> > of one workbook.  Is this possible?
>> >
>> > I am aware that there are macros that you can use inside of Excel to make
>> > the workbook always open to a specific sheet, but this is not exactly what I
>> > am trying to do.  I have multiple open jobs at any given time, and I keep
>> > information on these jobs in one Workbook.  Each job has its own folder on
>> > the hard drive.  I would like to create a shortcut inside of each folder on
>> > the hard drive that opens the same Workbook, but opens it directly to the
>> > sheet that corresponds to the job folder in which the shortcut is located.  I
>> > feel as if there should be some parameters that I can set inside of the
>> > shortcut icon to direct me to a specific workbook and a specific sheet inside
>> > of the workbook, but I'm unable to figure this out.  Any help would be
>> > greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

0
Gord

Accessing Windows Office Templates
There are some very nice templates at the Windows Office Template Gallery. I would like to download (mostly Word, but a few Excel) some of these templates, but the format comes out with a ".cab" extension that Office v.X doesn't understand. Is there any way to get these templates? Unfortunately, they make the Mac template archive look very weak. TIA Len Hi Len, Microsoft has a Mac template download page: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/resources/templates.aspx?pid=templates There's a link to the on-line gallery on that page. It looks like a newly re-designed gallery to m...

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Access 97 can't resize database window

Outlook 2000 not opening.

Using scanner in Word97

Excel and some disappeared sheets

Using later version of microsoft access

About Exit and close window.
Group, I have a dialogue base application. There's an Exit button in it. Eachtime when exit the program by clicking Exit button, fun() and OnOK() executed, but if the window is close by clicking (x) on the upper-right coner, fun() will not be executed. How to make this function--fun()--executed when click (x) button on the upper-right coner? Thanks. Rather than calling your fun() from the Exit event handler, call it from the dialog closing event handler, so that no matter how it is shut down, that method is called, and so is fun(). hope that helps. Dan. "sxy7711" <sxy771...

Office installation and Windows 7

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

is it posible to keep the quick launch icons in a specific layout?
I have moved the task bar tot he right side of the screen. I have a number of applications which I have 'loaded' onto the quick launch section of the task bar. Now, aside from the fact that Microsoft seems to have different icons for it's products in Vista and XP (and the confusion that is causing), is the small minor detail that the vista task bar seems to reorganize at random. I've set up two columns of icons, with tasks "lumped" together in rows according to my own preferences. (mail washer next to the email program, the MP3 tag program next to ...

Dynamic Range Selection Using VBA

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Is Outlook 2000 compatiple with Windows XP Home?
It seems to be having problems if it is... something like Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? Hi, I have Outlook 2000 installed on my XP Home machine and it works fine. >-----Original Message----- >It seems to be having problems if it is... something like >Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand >the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? >. > Rod <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > It seems to be having problems if it is... something...

Install ActiveX on Windows XP / IE8
Hi, I created a non-admin installation package to take advantage of the new IE8 features to deploy my ActiveX control. It works perfectly on Windows Vista+ but not on Windows XP (the yellow bar is never displayed). Here is the content of my INF file: [version] signature="$CHICAGO$" AdvancedINF=2.0 [Add.Code] DbCtrlEx.ocx=DbCtrlEx.ocx [Deployment] InstallScope=user [DbCtrlEx.ocx] file-win32-x86=thiscab clsid={97012969-FEFB-4F8F-A03C-67F83D139E8F} RegisterServer=yes FileVersion=1,0,0,1 RedirectToHKCU=yes If I remove the Deployment section it works...

how can I do a lookup into another sheet?
how can I do a lookup into another sheet? thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Try something like =VLOOKUP(123,Sheet2!A1:B10,2,FALSE) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "melawaisi" <melawaisi.ws67m@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:melawaisi.ws67m@excelforum-nospam.com... > > how can I do a lookup into another sheet? > thanks > > > ------...

Using Publisher 200 with Publisher 2003

Cannot Drag Open Desktop Screen
Hi: I have a friend running XP MCE (2005) SP3 and he cannot drag an open screen on his desktop by Left clicking and holding cursor on the top of screen. Any suggestions as to how to remedy this problem of not being able to drag a screen will be appreciated Thanks, ColTom2. On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:48:43 -0400, "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote: >Hi: > > I have a friend running XP MCE (2005) SP3 and he cannot drag an open >screen on his desktop by Left clicking and holding cursor on the top of >screen. > > A...