using a UDF in place of a cond. format, b/c I need 4, not three

I know this is an age old topic here, and I'm really hoping that I don't just
get referred to another web page [that type of help of course has its place
and merits].  And if I had the time, I would have more fun going through docs
and notes to find out how to do it, but time is not something I can barter.

What I'm looking at is:

I'm thinking along the lines of an example where I normally set the borders
of my columns [except if it's the first row] in a cond. format via something
like this:

=AND((NOT(ISBLANK($A1))),(ROW()>1))

But, if I need that space for a Conditional formatting, but I still want to
do this.

How would I go about doing this?  With a UDF?  I wouldn't know how to start.
 I can modify macros and run macros and such, but I don't know how I would
convert something like this into a useable function, macro, anything.

I would very much appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Thanks!  [a lot]
0
MatthewTap (33)

You can't set borders with a UDF. CF can, but what do you mean but ... But,

--

HTH

RP

"MatthewTap" <MatthewTap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I know this is an age old topic here, and I'm really hoping that I don't
just
> get referred to another web page [that type of help of course has its
place
> and merits].  And if I had the time, I would have more fun going through
docs
> and notes to find out how to do it, but time is not something I can
barter.

> What I'm looking at is:
>
> I'm thinking along the lines of an example where I normally set the
borders
> of my columns [except if it's the first row] in a cond. format via
something
> like this:
>
> =AND((NOT(ISBLANK($A1))),(ROW()>1))
>
> But, if I need that space for a Conditional formatting, but I still want
> do this.
>
> How would I go about doing this?  With a UDF?  I wouldn't know how to
start.
>  I can modify macros and run macros and such, but I don't know how I would
> convert something like this into a useable function, macro, anything.
>

> I would very much appreciate any help anyone can provide.
> Thanks!  [a lot]

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
12/12/2005 9:17:45 PM
Translation...."I could do it myself, but would rather someone else put in the
time and did it for me."

Not this cowboy.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:47 -0800, "MatthewTap"
<MatthewTap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I would have more fun going through docs
>and notes to find out how to do it, but time is not something I can barter.
0
Gord
12/12/2005 9:41:21 PM
Bob -- thank you.  I did not know that a UDF couldn't control borders.  I'm
still hoping an example of anything that could be in a CF but has been moved
to a UDF [and I'm unclear on how that would run], because I just need to see
one example... I've never seen one.

#######################3
But, to Gord, thanks for the help.

I was merely pointing out I don't have the time.

Short of abstract concepts, finite number, whatever, most people on these
boards can figure out anything on these boards given the time.

and, given the way I know I learn, if I am shown a minimalist example, I
learn more than just being shown a page with lots of random information on it
and having to go through and find an example.

That's the way I learn.

I'm sorry that I don't learn the way you do -- maybe you consider it the
only way any person ever should learn, and the rest of us shouldn't try to
learn the way we know how to best.

That would be really inefficient and ridiculous, and would cause those
people to post for help that much more.

Speaking of, this is a help discussion board.

I'm not trying to flame, be mean, whatever.

And people like you usually will hear this and just think "waaah" to me, but
the fact is I can barely type; I've just been released from the hospital for
a car wreck and three surgeries around my left arm and chest.

So, yes, I need someone to show me and example, and I realize that may not
happen... but I don't need you coming in here and letting everyone know that
you never had anyone show you anything in your entire life.

If you have anything to help, please post.  If you don't, thanks for making
my recovery that much harder.

I'll never get people like you.

I could really use the help, so if you get down and want to help someone, I
would be more than pleased.  If you'd rather go with the thought that the
knowledge of Excel is a zero sum game, then don't help me.  I'll just go to
one of these pages, print them out, and have the nurse read them to me while
the glass in my eye is continually being worked out.

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#HasFormula
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sumbold.html

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Translation...."I could do it myself, but would rather someone else put in the
> time and did it for me."
>

> Not this cowboy.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:47 -0800, "MatthewTap"
> <MatthewTap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I would have more fun going through docs
> >and notes to find out how to do it, but time is not something I can barter.

0
MatthewTap (33)
12/12/2005 10:05:04 PM
Matthew

Sorry for your plight.

I agree these are help groups and help is usually given unconditionally
but your "time is not something I can barter" struck a nerve.

Gord

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:05:04 -0800, "MatthewTap"
<MatthewTap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Bob -- thank you.  I did not know that a UDF couldn't control borders.  I'm
>still hoping an example of anything that could be in a CF but has been moved
>to a UDF [and I'm unclear on how that would run], because I just need to see
>one example... I've never seen one.
>

>#######################3
>But, to Gord, thanks for the help.
>
>I was merely pointing out I don't have the time.
>
>Short of abstract concepts, finite number, whatever, most people on these
>boards can figure out anything on these boards given the time.
>
>and, given the way I know I learn, if I am shown a minimalist example, I
>learn more than just being shown a page with lots of random information on it
>and having to go through and find an example.
>
>That's the way I learn.
>
>I'm sorry that I don't learn the way you do -- maybe you consider it the
>only way any person ever should learn, and the rest of us shouldn't try to
>learn the way we know how to best.
>
>That would be really inefficient and ridiculous, and would cause those
>people to post for help that much more.
>
>Speaking of, this is a help discussion board.
>
>I'm not trying to flame, be mean, whatever.
>
>And people like you usually will hear this and just think "waaah" to me, but
>the fact is I can barely type; I've just been released from the hospital for
>a car wreck and three surgeries around my left arm and chest.
>
>So, yes, I need someone to show me and example, and I realize that may not
>happen... but I don't need you coming in here and letting everyone know that
>you never had anyone show you anything in your entire life.
>

>If you have anything to help, please post.  If you don't, thanks for making
>my recovery that much harder.
>

>I'll never get people like you.
>

>I could really use the help, so if you get down and want to help someone, I
>would be more than pleased.  If you'd rather go with the thought that the
>knowledge of Excel is a zero sum game, then don't help me.  I'll just go to
>one of these pages, print them out, and have the nurse read them to me while
>the glass in my eye is continually being worked out.
>
>http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#HasFormula
>http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sumbold.html
>http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
>

>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Translation...."I could do it myself, but would rather someone else put in the
>> time and did it for me."
>>

>> Not this cowboy.
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:47 -0800, "MatthewTap"
>> <MatthewTap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I would have more fun going through docs
>> >and notes to find out how to do it, but time is not something I can barter.

0
Gord
12/12/2005 11:40:59 PM
If something strikes a nerve, don't answer it.

but if someone can't say "I'm swamped and need help" without Lord MVP Gord
coming and saying "look it up yourself", what good is this place?

Everyone posting here has to balance time versus what they can look up, and
since everything ever posted here is something that could, in fact, be looked
up, if you're going to tell me I shouldn't have the right to post here, you
should tell that to everyone.

Everyone here is posting because they do not have the time to look up the
solution... everyone.  We're all hoping when we post here that someone in the
community will help us out so that we can continue to build whatever we are
building, and learn by doing it, and then hopefully be able to help others in
the future.

And of course everyone is busy... I don't know anyone in the computer field
that isn't.  Again, that's what these boards are for.

It's not like the people, or me if you think so low of me because I didn't
phrase something correctly, posts something here and then goes off to play
StarCraft -- no, we're working and wouldn't mind some assistance.

Your comment guaranteed that I wouldn't get help on my answer, so thanks
very  much.

Please go post on someone else that the answer is simple and they should
just take the time to look it up -- I'm perfectly fine without your
interference.