Use of Monotype Sorts Font and Value 4

When I enter in a cell the value 4 and change font to Monotype Sorts
instead of getting a single CHECK-MARK I get the Check mark plus 3 other
characters
that look like a pencil stub.  I only want to Check Mark.
Any suggestions?
TIA

0
jmay (696)

I can't replicate your problem. I get only a check mark.  Are you
sure there is nothing else in the cell.  In another cell, use a
formula like =LEN(A1) to ensure that there is only one character
in the cell.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"JMay" <jmay@cox.net> wrote in message
> When I enter in a cell the value 4 and change font to Monotype
Sorts
> instead of getting a single CHECK-MARK I get the Check mark
plus 3 other
> characters
> that look like a pencil stub.  I only want to Check Mark.
> Any suggestions?
> TIA

0
chip1 (1821)
4/11/2004 2:00:36 PM
Thanks Chip; =Len(A1) >>  1
If I grab the right-side column hearer and drag reducing the width the
content changes from my checkmark + 3 pencil stubs to three pairs of
scissors -- LOL  Crazy huh..
JMay

"Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> I can't replicate your problem. I get only a check mark.  Are you
> sure there is nothing else in the cell.  In another cell, use a
> formula like =LEN(A1) to ensure that there is only one character
> in the cell.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> "JMay" <jmay@cox.net> wrote in message
> > When I enter in a cell the value 4 and change font to Monotype
> Sorts
> > instead of getting a single CHECK-MARK I get the Check mark
> plus 3 other
> > characters
> > that look like a pencil stub.  I only want to Check Mark.
> > Any suggestions?
> > TIA

0
jmay (696)
4/11/2004 2:31:36 PM
Check the number format (General).

HTH
Anders Silven

"JMay" <jmay@cox.net> skrev i meddelandet =
> Thanks Chip; =3DLen(A1) >>  1
> If I grab the right-side column hearer and drag reducing the width the
> content changes from my checkmark + 3 pencil stubs to three pairs of
> scissors -- LOL  Crazy huh..
> JMay
>=20
> "Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> > I can't replicate your problem. I get only a check mark.  Are you
> > sure there is nothing else in the cell.  In another cell, use a
> > formula like =3DLEN(A1) to ensure that there is only one character
> > in the cell.
> >

> > --
> > Cordially,
> > Chip Pearson
> > Microsoft MVP - Excel
> > Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> > www.cpearson.com
> >

> > "JMay" <jmay@cox.net> wrote in message
> > > When I enter in a cell the value 4 and change font to Monotype
> > Sorts
> > > instead of getting a single CHECK-MARK I get the Check mark
> > plus 3 other
> > > characters
> > > that look like a pencil stub.  I only want to Check Mark.
> > > Any suggestions?
> > > TIA
> > >

>=20

Tks Anders,
Cell format was Numbers, Accounting.
Cell format General corrects..
Happy Easter!!

"Anders S" <anders_silvenblaha@hotmailxyz.com> wrote in message
Check the number format (General).

HTH
Anders Silven

"JMay" <jmay@cox.net> skrev i meddelandet
> Thanks Chip; =Len(A1) >>  1
> If I grab the right-side column hearer and drag reducing the width the
> content changes from my checkmark + 3 pencil stubs to three pairs of
> scissors -- LOL  Crazy huh..
> JMay
>
> "Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> > I can't replicate your problem. I get only a check mark.  Are you
> > sure there is nothing else in the cell.  In another cell, use a
> > formula like =LEN(A1) to ensure that there is only one character
> > in the cell.
> >

> > --
> > Cordially,
> > Chip Pearson
> > Microsoft MVP - Excel
> > Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> > www.cpearson.com
> >

> > "JMay" <jmay@cox.net> wrote in message
> > > When I enter in a cell the value 4 and change font to Monotype
> > Sorts
> > > instead of getting a single CHECK-MARK I get the Check mark
> > plus 3 other
> > > characters
> > > that look like a pencil stub.  I only want to Check Mark.
> > > Any suggestions?
> > > TIA

0
jmay (696)
4/11/2004 4:27:51 PM
NICE ! - How the heck did you ever figure that out?<bg>

Most folks use the more common WingDings2 font, where an uppercase *letter*
(P or R) will *not* change as the column changes widths.
--
Regards,

RD

Check the number format (General).

HTH
Anders Silven

"JMay" <jmay@cox.net> skrev i meddelandet
> Thanks Chip; =Len(A1) >>  1
> If I grab the right-side column hearer and drag reducing the width the
> content changes from my checkmark + 3 pencil stubs to three pairs of
> scissors -- LOL  Crazy huh..
> JMay
>
> "Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> > I can't replicate your problem. I get only a check mark.  Are you
> > sure there is nothing else in the cell.  In another cell, use a
> > formula like =LEN(A1) to ensure that there is only one character
> > in the cell.
> >

> > --
> > Cordially,
> > Chip Pearson
> > Microsoft MVP - Excel
> > Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> > www.cpearson.com
> >

> > "JMay" <jmay@cox.net> wrote in message
> > > When I enter in a cell the value 4 and change font to Monotype
> > Sorts
> > > instead of getting a single CHECK-MARK I get the Check mark
> > plus 3 other
> > > characters
> > > that look like a pencil stub.  I only want to Check Mark.
> > > Any suggestions?
> > > TIA

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
4/11/2004 4:55:40 PM
Just a lucky guess, I suppose. Numeric value + extra characters =3D =
number format.

Regards,
Anders Silven

"Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> skrev i meddelandet =
> NICE ! - How the heck did you ever figure that out?<bg>
>=20
> Most folks use the more common WingDings2 font, where an uppercase =
*letter*
> (P or R) will *not* change as the column changes widths.
> --=20
> Regards,
>=20
> RD
>=20
> =
> Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may =
benefit !
> =
> "Anders S" <anders_silvenblaha@hotmailxyz.com> wrote in message
> Check the number format (General).
>=20
> HTH
> Anders Silven
>=20
> "JMay" <jmay@cox.net> skrev i meddelandet
> > Thanks Chip; =3DLen(A1) >>  1
> > If I grab the right-side column hearer and drag reducing the width =
the
> > content changes from my checkmark + 3 pencil stubs to three pairs of
> > scissors -- LOL  Crazy huh..
> > JMay
> >
> > "Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> > > I can't replicate your problem. I get only a check mark.  Are you
> > > sure there is nothing else in the cell.  In another cell, use a
> > > formula like =3DLEN(A1) to ensure that there is only one character
> > > in the cell.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Cordially,
> > > Chip Pearson
> > > Microsoft MVP - Excel
> > > Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> > > www.cpearson.com
> > >

> > > "JMay" <jmay@cox.net> wrote in message
> > > Sorts
> > > plus 3 other

am looking for possible work-arounds to a similar problem

I use an IF formula to output a "-5" (negative five, integer) if my
criteria are not met.  I then format the cell using
FORMAT CELLS>>NUMBER>>NUMBER>>NEGATIVE NUMBER>>OPTION 2
(that is, a negative number is displayed in red without the leading
"-" sign or trailing decimal spaces).

Using the monotype sorts font meant i saw a red "X" in cells that did
not meet my criteria.  Easy to pick out in a long list and where the
cells that do meet my criteria are black tick marks, Monotype Sorts,
4.

Tickmark and crossmarks in Wingdings/Webdings fonts use alphabets &
special characters so the above trick will not work.  Any suggestions
for a work-around?

Thanks in advance
Dar

>  Sorts
>  plus 3 other
0
dardsa (1)
4/22/2004 5:28:07 PM
What you are looking for is probably a perfect example of why "Conditional
Formatting" was instituted.

Besides just making your ticks red, you could also make the cell yellow.
That would really stand out!

Check it out in the help files, and post back if you need any additional
assistance.
--

HTH,

RD

<dardsa@yahoo.com> wrote in message
am looking for possible work-arounds to a similar problem

I use an IF formula to output a "-5" (negative five, integer) if my
criteria are not met.  I then format the cell using
FORMAT CELLS>>NUMBER>>NUMBER>>NEGATIVE NUMBER>>OPTION 2
(that is, a negative number is displayed in red without the leading
"-" sign or trailing decimal spaces).

Using the monotype sorts font meant i saw a red "X" in cells that did
not meet my criteria.  Easy to pick out in a long list and where the
cells that do meet my criteria are black tick marks, Monotype Sorts,
4.

Tickmark and crossmarks in Wingdings/Webdings fonts use alphabets &
special characters so the above trick will not work.  Any suggestions
for a work-around?

Thanks in advance
Dar

>  Sorts
>  plus 3 other

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

Can I delete a file that is in use
I have a malocious file called sdra64.exe it's in my appdata\roaming folder I can't delete it because it isays it s in use by another program How can I set it up so that it is deleted somehow? Thanks I have a malocious file called sdra64.exe it's in my appdata\roaming folder I can't delete it because it isays it s in use by another program How can I set it up so that it is deleted somehow? Thanks You can try using the task manager. Bring up the manager and go to processes and stop it from running. You can try to delete from Safe Mo...

Outlook 2002 question #4
Hi. My Outlook 2002 used to show whether I had replied to a message and on what date in a yellow bar across the top part of the preview pane. I can't seem to find out how to get that to show again. Does anyone know how to set this option up? I have looked all around in the menus and such but cannot see where to do this. Thanks Robin Anyone know the answer to this problem? Robin "Robin" <me5@privacy.net> wrote in message news:W8qdnXfkXPysoUPeRVn-rw@comcast.com... > Hi. My Outlook 2002 used to show whether I had replied to a message and > on > what date in...

How can I asign a number value to a text line in Excel?
tI have a Backgammon Club with Internal Club Rankings that are in Text. I want my members to report their wins - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place - in tournaments to my web site . I would like them to imput: their nickname, date of tournament, tournament Room #, tournament points played for, and host of the tournament. I would further like the calculation to display any change in Ranking as a text cell. Additionally, I want to show for the member, how many more points are needed to get to the next levle and what that (Text)level is. If there is a "what if" for this please advise. Ri...

Replying to Individual in Newsgroup using Outlook, with O.E. as NG reader
I'm using Outlook 2000 sp1 for E-mailing. It's set-up to use Outlook Express 6 as the newsgroup reader (whilst calling itself Outlook Newsreader). I recently wanted to reply to an individual in a thread. Everything seemed to go okay until I checked the 'Sent Items' of Outlook. There was an E-mail to the individual, but none of the text that I'd included was there, only the original newsgroup message. Does anybody know what's going on, how to fix it, or has anybody got any suggestions ? Thanks in Advance Duncan Anderson O/S = Win X/P home sp1 I think this happens be...

Arial Black font available in Italic only?
I need to use Arial Black font and it doesn't show regular, only italic. In the font area, italic is not highlighted. How can I get a Regular Arial Black. I've tried using Arial and making it bold, but it's just not bold enough for what I need. -- Bontis Text that has the font set to Arial Black and the font style set to bold may change so that the font is set to Arial Black and the font style is set to italic when you open the document on a computer that is running Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959334 -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ &quo...

HOW TO SORT A PIVOT TABLE
How to automatically make that the pivot tables sorts data by itself. Every time a change one value it mixes up my figures.... Right click in the field to be sorted to get a menu Click Field Click Advanced Choose the sort option. Regards BrianB ============================================= "Alex" <alexdfsvsdffgdfgsdg@skynet.be> wrote in message news:<e6Ur9J3hDHA.1692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>... > How to automatically make that the pivot tables sorts data by itself. Every > time a change one value it mixes up my figures.... THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH "Br...

What's the correct procedure to use a CBitmapButton in a dialog (to avoid resouce leaking)?
Hi, I have a CBitmapButton member in a dialog. The problem is that, after exiting my program, there is a cross button staying on my windows 2000's desktop now. The button is exactly the one I used in the dialog. Clicking on it doesn't do anyting. Rebooting the machine doesn't help. The application has been mailed to many customers. Now I expect they'll see this button on their machine but hardly guess that it's caused by my program. In DoDataExchange(), I associate the CBitmapButton member with a push button in the dialog's template. Then in OnInitDialog...

OWA logon problem #4
Hello all, here's my problem: Exchange 2003 with SP1 on Win2003 SP1 on a two-node-cluster. If the Clusterresource HTTP-Server restartet (after boot, crash or failover) nobody can logon to OWA because HTTP-Error 500 (Internal Server Error). After an administrator logged on via OWA (yes, he can !) all the other users can use OWA because they can log on now. Any idea ? Regards Ralf ...

Sort Warning disabled? Need to enable it
I am trying to Sort from A-Z, but the normal warning to expand the selection does not appear? Is there some way to enable this or work around it to filter the entire document by the column I choose? Select all of your data before sorting. The warning only appears (sometimes) if XL can easily detect that you ahve adjacent data. -- Best Regards, Luke M "gnat" <gnat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95B1329C-2A83-4C37-8010-BF0E0BC1D10A@microsoft.com... >I am trying to Sort from A-Z, but the normal warning to expand the >selection > ...

Preventing Column Cell Values from Printing
I have a summary worksheet with several columns of information. There is one particular column (E25:F39) where I don't always want to print the values. Is there some simple way to toggle this column's values on and off just before hitting the print command? I was thinking of using an adjacent tick box outside the print area, which when ticked would print the column values, and vice-versa. I'm looking for a formula that would examine the tick box, and if the tick (letter 'a' in Marlett font) is not present (i.e. cell value = ""), then the values in column (E25:...

How to find a value with multi-column, multi-record list
I have a spreadsheet with $costs arranged according to values in both rows and columns. How do I create drop down lists for both the rows and columns and then return the cell value? eg if I have 5 rows (2-6) and 6 columns (B-G) with costs arranged in each cell within this group how do I create drop downs for each selection, 2-6 and B-G, and return the value to a selected cell. In a typical table of this nature there would be descriptive row and column headers. To do a lookup on this table you would then look for the intersection of a specific row header and a specific column ...

Error when using RMS EDC Settle function
Hello. We run RMSsp2, and use PCCharge PaymntSvr EDC software/First Data processor. PCCharge settles fine, if trying from within RMS, receive error on: 1st attempt: "Invalid Merchant" box error appears. 2nd and subsequent attempts "Invalid Destination Zip" box error appears. Erro occurs withing few seconds of settle attempt, settle progress doesnt go beyond 1/10 of progress meter and this error pops up. Any ideas? Our EDC config is fine and all batches and items are ok in PCCharge. thanks luke ...

How do I change the value in cell based on a future date
I would like certain cells to be cleared after a certain date one way: Put this in the ThisWorkbook code module (Right-click the workbook title bar and choose View Code): Public Sub Workbook_Open() If Date > #12/15/2004# Then _ Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1,B2,J10,K39").ClearContents End Sub Note that this won't work if the user opens your workbook with macros disabled. Note also that there's no way to prevent a user from accessing your data - i.e., they can set their clock back and open the file. You can make things more difficu...

Sort and report category items
I'm an Excel rookie using Excel 2008. And this is probably a very beginner question. Example of problem: Sheet has three(3) columns (A, B, C) with the first two being text cells. A: Organization type B: Organization name C: Organization $ The rows contain the information for each year and then within each year a row for each organization reporting that year. I'd like to create a report with: A List of all organizations by each type and not repeat the names. This would look like: Type 1: Company X Company Z Type 2: Company Y Type 3: Company M Compa...

Unable to attach an attachment using mail merge
Anyone know how to do an Outlook mail merge and have it sent an attachment to all merged recipents? I put the attachment into the basic outlook e_mail message and when it merges it strips off the attachment. I am using Word as the E-Mail editor and Outlook 2002 SP2 and merging contacts directly from an Outlook Contact folder. ...

How to use MFC Cstring class in Win32 DLL?
Hello all I am having WIN32 DLL and i have to use CString in it. I tried include <Afx.h> with project setting with both 'use MFC in a static library' as well as 'use MFC in a shared library' option of project setting but firstly i got error fatal error C1189: #error : WINDOWS.H already then i commented #include<windows.h> after that i am getting linking error mfcs42d.lib(dllmodul.obj) : error LNK2005: _DllMain@12 already defined in testdll.obj Debug/testdll.dll : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symbols found i tried other options like includi...

Trapping empty or null value
I have a subform with a textbox txtAmount bound to field Amount. On the subform's footer is txtTotal with control source =Sum([amount]). When there is no data in the subform I see #Error in the txtTotal. How can I change =Sum([amount]) to something that will test for this condition and display 0 when there is no data in the subform instead?. Robert Unless you are using Access 2007, you can check the RecordCount of the RecordsetClone of the subform. Unfortunately, the new version errors with that, so you have to use a function call. Public Function FormHasNoRecords(frm As F...

Prevent auto recoloring of chart when using Pivot Table data
I have crated a Pivot tabel with data I want to show in a Chart. My problem is when I refresh data the colours of the "data series" changes. For exaple I want one of my series "OK" always be shown in green colour, but after a refresh of pivot all colours changes. This problem is not only colouring. If I have made changes to my chart so that one series ar plotted on a secondary axis, and I change it to another chart type (e.g. the secondary should be shown as a line instead of column) this also changes when refreshing the data. Most irritating! Anyone that knows how to p...

Transfering a changing cell value progressively through a workbook
I am creating a payment application form in excel 2007 using windows 7. Each worksheet represents one months invoice. Say I have a formula in "sheet 1/ cell Q7" that sums the total billed to date for a particular budget line item. This value will be transfered to a the next months payment application "sheet 2/ cell K7" this becomes the total amount of previous applications, then "sheet 2/ Q7 is =sum(K7,M7,O7) this value is transfered to "sheet 3/ K7, and so on and so on, until the completion of the job. How do I acomplish this. -- Thanks Mike ...

uninstall from command line using alternate credentials
WinXP SP3. Is there a way to do this? I am trying to find a way for a power user to uninstall a program using the msiexec + uninstall string from the registry using admin account credentials. Alternativly, I have tried to get the user to do a "run as" on the appwiz.cpl file but I get an error. UPDATE: also tried making a shortcut and running as admin but there is still an error with starting the msiexec. It says something like error statring program, it may be disabled or have no associated programs. I checked the windows installer service and it is running. ...

File Size #4
Using Windows XP and Office 2007 Is there a reason that Publisher files keep growing in size? We have a weekly bulletin with some static information and some information that changes from week to week. On Monday, we open last week's publication, delete the no-longer-relavent text boxes and pictures, and add new text boxes and pictures for the current week. That has been our standard practice. I just noticed that the file size is increasing exponentially which leads me to believe that even though I delete things, there is still some sort of "ghost" material left in the...

Updating a form after using a workflow rule to update the entity.
I have a workflow rule that, on create of a contact, calls an assembly and updates an attribute of that assembly. It works a treat, but after saving, the attribute does not appear in the form. I have to close and re-open the contact to see the attribute. Is there any way to have this display immediately? Thanks Saira ...

Line up records (sorting)
I have 2 columns. Column A has values (numbers for the taxlots o interest) that are not sorted in any order. Column B has the sam values plus a bunch of extraneous values that do not appear in column (numbers of other taxlots in the city). Columns C-G have values tha correspond to the values in column B (Owner information for the taxlo values in B) What I need to have happen is either search column B for the values i column A and delete all the extraneous records (columns B-G), or, alig the values in column A so that they correspond to the locations of th same values in column B. Not sure ...

Sorting lists side by side to match variables
Hello everyone, I have a problem that I need to find a solution for. I have a list o all the stores with a particular trait that carry my at least one of m items. Then, I have a list for each item with all the stores tha carry that particular item. What I want to do is sort this data s that the store numbers under each item are matched up with th corresponding store numbers in the master store list. I'll give you a example of the problem. Here is what the data looks like now: Master Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 Item 4 1 2 3 1 3 2 4 2 4 3 4 4 And here is what I would like it to look...

Using Microsoft Map in Office XP
How can I add the add-in Microsoft Map to work in Office XP? Thank you for looking. John John MS Map not available with versions 2002 and 2003. MS Map Point is now the application used. Costs about $250.00 US. An alternate is to use MapInfo product(which was the Excel 97 and 2000 product). Very costly at minimum $595.00 US just for upgrade. http://www.mapinfo.com/location/integration But............found this tidbit on the net thanks to Debra Dalgleish. Mystery of the Missing Map Tool: If you believe Microsoft, the Excel Map tool is permanently out of action in Offi...