Use cell value as cell address

Hello everyone. I have a worksheet "Main" of 39,000 rows in which column
B contains a number between 1 and 7,500. Column C is an empty column I
have added.

The second sheet, "Names"  in the book contains a single column - A -
of 7,500 names.

I want to get the value from the second sheet that matches the number
column of the first sheet. In other words, if "Main" cell B3 contains
3780, I want to put the value from "Names" cell A3780 into "Main" C3.

How do I do this please?

Richard

---

Hi
try the following in C3
=INDIRECT("'Names'!A" & B3)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> Hello everyone. I have a worksheet "Main" of 39,000 rows in which
> column B contains a number between 1 and 7,500. Column C is an empty
> column I have added.
>
> The second sheet, "Names"  in the book contains a single column - A -
> of 7,500 names.
>
> I want to get the value from the second sheet that matches the number
> column of the first sheet. In other words, if "Main" cell B3 contains
> 3780, I want to put the value from "Names" cell A3780 into "Main" C3.
>
> How do I do this please?
>
> Richard
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
4/9/2004 11:35:10 PM
Thanks, Frank, that worked perfectly

smtp addresses #2
Exchange 2000. I have 2 smtp addresses under recipient policy. smtp: username@domain.com (set as default) smtp: username@local.domain.com These were created automatically when we migrated from exchange 5.5 to 2000. local.domain.com is our internal domain. domain.com is our Internet address. I unchecked local.domain.com address, and "Apply this policy now", but it did not remove them from each users AD account. So I deleted the local.domain.com address, and "Apply this policy now", but it still did not remove them from each users AD account. We are getting NDR's b...

autofit: cell height expands with text entered?
For a form: can a user enter mass quantities of text in a cell and have the cell depth expand so it fits? does Merging Cells limit this ability? I made a giant cell to handle the text the user might enter. I can't figure out where to set this... I have copied & pasted formatting from one worksheet to another without luck. Thanks. Sandy Merged cells don't adjust rowheight for wrapped text (like non-merged cells do). Jim Rech wrote a macro called AutoFitMergedCellRowHeight that you may like: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05 Sandy wrote:...

global address lists, and or distribution lists
Was wondering if it is possible to create a distribution list that can function similarly to a global address list. The stated purpose of a distribution list is to be able to coordinate a mass email to a set a pre-selected individuals. I want to know if it's possible to have a list, separate from those individuals already listed in the global address book, so that you can access a certain individual, or a group of people from within the list, and email them separately, not as one joint email. If this is possible, I was wondering about how to set it up in microsoft outlook 2002...

Go To the next empty cell in Column A
Using Vista and Excel 2007, I will be constructing a mailing list with 10 columns. In the first empty row of column A will be added a new name for the list. With 10 columns it is not possible to view Column A from Column L on screen. With hundreds of names to add to the list, I need a fast way to go to the next empty cell in column A to add the next name.. I am familiar with tables in Access where there is an icon that will take me to the next empty cell in column A. Is there a similar one stroke command to take me to the next empty cell in column A from anywhere in an Excel ...

User defined functions aware of what cell they are placed in?
Hi, I would like to make a user defined function which needs to know in what cell and what worksheet it is placed in. I will be using this UDF in multiple cells on multiple worksheets. I originally just passed the cell row and column as parameters to the UDF however this ended up updating all worksheets and not just the one the UDF was on. Is there any way to do this? Option Explicit function myfunct(something as somethingelse) as something msgbox application.caller.address & vblf _ & application.caller.parent.name & vblf _ & application.caller.pare...

copy date in a cell if within a date range
Column M is a listing of percentages Column A is various dates, anywhere from Jan 1, 1998 to the present. I need to copy the contents of let's say M3 into cell T3 is the date in cell A3 is any date in the year 2010. If the date is in another year, leave cell T3 blank Thanks "carrerapaolo" wrote: > Column M is a listing of percentages > > Column A is various dates, anywhere from Jan 1, 1998 to the present. > > I need to copy the contents of let's say M3 into cell T3 is the date in cell > A3 is any date in the year 2010. If the ...

Excel-Multiple Cells Being Hi-lited
Sometimes when I'm setting up a worksheet and I left-click in a cell, multiple cells in the same column are hi-lited. After it happens the first time, it continues as I move through the worksheet, reducing my ability to get work done considerably. After some trial and error, it seems to occur when I've been adding and/or deleting columns and/or rows, after a header has been installed. I can move throughout the worksheet using the arrow keys, but it is a time consuming and cumbersome technique. I think the version I'm using is Office Professional 2007 (file extensi...

Switching companies using SQL Passthrough
I have an application that uses SQL_Passthrough. As part of the code you must execute a statement that uses the appropriate database. The code looks like this: set SQL_Statements to "use MYDB"; status = SQL_Execute(SQL_connection, field SQL_Statements); This works fine, but my application can be used for any number of databases. At first, I modified it to use the Dex.ini file, which works. Here is the modification: dbname = Defaults_Read("SQLDB"); dbopencommand = "use " + dbname; set SQL_Statements to dbopencommand; status = SQL_Execute(SQL_connection,...

Using Word 2003 in Vista: Opening dictionary shuts down Word
This is a problem in Vista; it did not occur when I used Word 2003 in XP. Whenever I try to open the dictionary in Word 2003, either by clicking its icon, or hitting Alt+click over a word, Word shuts down. Vista Business, Service Pack 2 Thinkpad T400, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM ...

Old emails not displayed (Multiple PC's using same inbox)
I have 2 machines running XP and Outlook 2000. Both mahcines are setup to using the same Exchange Server email account. When i open outlook in one machine all mail are visable is the inbox, and new mail is received correctly. But if i opne Outlook on the second machine my inbox is empty. Any new mails will appear quickly then disappear. I cannot get the second machine to display old emails. If I leave the first machine off, all new mail will stay in the second machines inbox, but if I open outlook on the second machine all mail disappears and is shown in the first machines inbox. A...

Go To an address specfied in a cell
Hello Folks, Does anyone know how I can move the cursor to a cell, the address of which is specified in another cell? Here is the scenario. I enter a list of hours worked in a specfic week on a data entry sheet. I hit a button and the values are copied to a data summary sheet, the position depends on the Week No., the first cell is specfied as the address "Data!29" for Week 5. I reckon I can handle a recorded macro to copy and paste the data but how do I locate the correct start cell? I have tried copying and pasting into the GoTo box but that doesn't work. Data!J29 Wee...

Using namespaces? I've some messy nested contexts that I want to clean up...
Hi, I've got the following code structure Class A { ... private: Class B { public: enum C { ENUM X } C MyVar; C MyFunc() } } So for function definitions in B I have to write A::B::C A::B::MyFunc() and for objects of B in A if(pb->MyVar==B::ENUM_X) It's all just a bit messy. Isn't it. Someone please help. Regards. ...

ProbleM: when I restore a mailbox using Exmerge with a pst file, nothing is transferred.
Hi, I am practising Exmerge for a big remote site migration in a couple of weeks. One thing I dont understand is that I can backup one test mailbox fine using Exmerge (I know this works, as I have opened the mailbox pst file within outlook and everything is there), but when I perform the restore using the pst file, nothing happens. There is no error messages, and Emerge goes through the motions (though it finishes supsiciously quick), but when I open the mailbox, no emails have been restored. Although it is great that Exmerge is working for the backup part of the stage, I am disappointed it i...

Select last value
I am trying to select the last (bottom) value on a one-column list. I am using the COUNT function to designate the bottom value that is not zero, and the CHOOSE function to select the designated value. But, I can't make that work. Help appreciated. try =match(a number larger than possible,your range) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Carl" <c@invalid.com> wrote in message news:eciLEKsvFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > I am trying to select the last (bottom) value on a one-column list. I am > using the COUNT function to designate the bottom va...

IV40100.MAINLOCN
I am trying to determine where the contents of IV40100 (Inventory Control Setup) are determined. I have ocated most of them from the Inventry Control Setup window/form, but cannot locate where the contents of the following fields are set: MAINLOCN (Main Location) DISABLEAVGPERPADJ (Disable Avg Perpetual Valuation Adjustments) DISABLEPERPADJ (Disable Perpetual Valuation Adjustments) Does anyone know from what where these values are set without using Query Analyzer, or are these fields that are not currently being used by Dynamics-GP? The resource descriptions indicate tha...

Help with displaying the contents of the last populate cell.
I have numerous sheets within a book where all cells in column C in all sheets have the following formula “=IF(ISBLANK(P4),"",(R3-P4))”. For you reference both columns P and R hold a monetary value and are formatted as Currency. Is there a way that cell D1 can automatically be populated with the contents of the last cell in column C that has a value in it. E.G. Sheet 1, cell C19 has a value of 200, therefore cell D1 should be 200. Sheet 2, cell C25 has a value of 250, therefore cell D1 should be 250. Sheet 3, cell C99 has a value of 900, therefore cell D1 should be 900. Any h...

Formula to process 3 cells using IF statements
I have 3 columns of experimental data (C:E). Row 30 contains the sums (C30:E30). I need a formula that will examine the three sums and return the column number that has the lowest sum. If more than one column is lowest, select one randomly. Example: C30 D30 E30 Result 10 11 12 1 (C) 22 20 21 2 (D) 32 31 30 3 (E) 40 41 40 Randomly select 1 or 3 51 50 50 Randomly select 2 or 3 60 60 60 Randonly select 1, 2, or 3 Can this be done with IF statements or do I need to write a macro? Well, this is a bit cumbersome, but it se...

Excel 97 Worksheet Protection and cell colour
Hi there, One of our users has setup a worksheet will a small range of cells that are locked (they have formulas in them), he then protects the sheet. He then wants to change the colour of some of the other cells, these cells are not locked, but he cannot change the colour of the cells. Is there an obvious solution? Cheers, Andy Hi AFAIK you can't do this in Excel 97 without first removing the protection -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany andy wrote: > Hi there, > > One of our users has setup a worksheet will a small range of cells > that are locked (they h...

Pointing to correct macro path using excel custom toolbar
I have created an excel 2000 template (.xlt) containing a number o macros. When I open copies of this template on various pcs, the macro function correctly, except I cannot successfully run the macros usin the custom toolbar I created, because (I think) within the toolbar th paths to the macros are pointed to the original location on my pc. An advice on how I can resolve this would be gratefully received -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you thought about building the toolbar when the file opens? Or maybe separating the worksheet portion of the template from the code pa...

Entire Visio page moves whenever I use the directional arrow keys instead of the object I've clicked on
Gurus, Running Visio 2003. For some reason lately, whenever I click on an object and try to move it using the right, left, or up or down arrow keys, the whole page moves instead of the object I've clicked on. This is really annoying! It didn't used to be this way. I'm not sure what I changed. I simply want the object I've highlighted to move whenever I use the arrow keys not the whole Visio page itself! -- Spin On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:29:14 -0400, "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote: >Gurus, > >Running Visio 2003. For some reason lately, whe...

how do i enter data for a # of years using a formula?
i am working on excel and the book asks that i enter data s=using formulas for specifically the last three years of what i am referencing to. and i have to know how to us the copy command button. can anyone help ...

Coloring the Desired cells
Hello, I have a work sheet in which i have to look for word "Test" and color the rows below it. There are different words like "Test 1" "Test 2" and each set needs a different color. Can I get some help with the macro for it? eg: Test1 row 1 row 2 Test 2 row 1 row 2 the number of rows in each group is not constanr. Thank you, Harsh Excel will need to know the logic of the rows and colors to be able to determine how many rows to color. You say the number of rows is not constant, but obviously you know how many rows to color. How do you know t...

Do a calculation in cells with text data format
I have a few columns of cells having a mixed data format of number and text. Is it possible to convert the first row of numbers in text data format for further calculation? Your guidance to accomplish it is appreciated. Thanks, Ray Example? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Ray" <NoSpam-ZQLi@GMail.com> wrote in message news:ei$Jbmy$FHA.216@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > I have a few columns of cells having a mixed data format of number and text. > Is it possible to convert the first row of numbers in text data format for > further calculation? Your guidance to accomplis...

Changing of Cell protections after saving Excel File (2002)
This problem occurs when I protect a document using a macro 4.0 function: =PROTECT.DOCUMENT(TRUE,,,TRUE,TRUE). When I use the function within a macro4.0 macro, on an original file, everything works fine. The sheet has unlocked cells, and when the sheet is protected, it allows me to access those cells. But if I save the file, or save.as another name, then the fun begins. The enable selection of the sheet( view codes) has gone from 0-xlNoRestrictions to -4142- xlNoSelection. This locks me out of doing anything in the sheet. When I unprotect and then re-protect the sheet using the T...