URGENT: Excel files renamed to HEX

For the last few days, some users are getting Excel files saved as a
"random" extensionless HEX named file - e.g. 40120100 - and the
original file name is lost.  We have not been notified of any warnings
or errors given to the end user.

Users are running WindowsXPsp2, OfficeXPsp3.

Server is Windows2003 server running DFS/FRS.

Antivirus for both server and client is McAfee VirusScan 8 - engine
4400, dat 4460.

Can't find anything in event logs.

This error *may* have started when users DFS referral was directed
from Server A to Server B.  However, servers are both W2K3 with same
patches and AV software.

Absolutely no idea where to even start on this - as it is not 100%
reproducable.....  But - we now have loads of random named files that
users can't access - and it is growing.

Archives don't seem to show this problem since early versions of
office, and blame file permissions/older antivirus - but this should
not be the case.

Any ideas welcome.
0
ryanjjones (45)

100% not anti-virus.
90% it is combination of DFS/FRS and Excel.

Files replicated between A and B okay - but B showed real name, A shows
Hex name.  Modify file on B and correct name goes to A.  Modify file on
A, and update and correct name goes to B - but A renamed as hex.

It actually looks like SHARE permissions.  Server A has everyone
"CHANGE" to the data share; whereas Server B has everyone "FULL
CONTROL".

Set server A to "FULL CONTROL" and tests show this looks a bit happier.

!!!??! Why just excel?  And why full-control share permission needed to
rename a file!?  Thought teh only difference between F/C and Change
share permissions was the right to take ownership and set
permissions???

0
ryanjjones (45)
4/5/2005 9:39:49 AM
Hi Ryan,
It probably does have something to do with your antivirus or
your permissions.   Excel creates that file with hex digits for
a name and no extension as the new replacement file it is
working on.    When finished it deletes the old file and renames
the new file to what the old file was.  If you don't have permission
on a network or the AV program is not set up to recognize that this
behavior is okay you lose your file and get the files you found in
their place.
---
HTH,

<ryanjjones@mail.com> wrote in message news:1112693989.053978.205640@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> 100% not anti-virus.
> 90% it is combination of DFS/FRS and Excel.
>
> Files replicated between A and B okay - but B showed real name, A shows
> Hex name.  Modify file on B and correct name goes to A.  Modify file on
> A, and update and correct name goes to B - but A renamed as hex.
>
> It actually looks like SHARE permissions.  Server A has everyone
> "CHANGE" to the data share; whereas Server B has everyone "FULL
> CONTROL".
>
> Set server A to "FULL CONTROL" and tests show this looks a bit happier.
>
> !!!??! Why just excel?  And why full-control share permission needed to
> rename a file!?  Thought teh only difference between F/C and Change
> share permissions was the right to take ownership and set
> permissions???

0
dmcritchie (2586)
4/5/2005 1:26:51 PM
We had the same problem. It is fixed in win2003 SP1, or you can call
PSS and get the pre-sp1 hotfix for this issue.

0
j1mm3 (2)
4/7/2005 12:37:09 AM
Do you have a Microsoft Knowledge Base article to
refer to for further information.
---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

<j1mm3@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1112834229.268027.115010@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> We had the same problem. It is fixed in win2003 SP1, or you can call
> PSS and get the pre-sp1 hotfix for this issue.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
4/7/2005 6:06:24 AM
Sure thing, the article is KB823230 and the description is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823230

Cheers Jim

"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message news:<elckMhzOFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Do you have a Microsoft Knowledge Base article to
> refer to for further information.
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> <j1mm3@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1112834229.268027.115010@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> > We had the same problem. It is fixed in win2003 SP1, or you can call
> > PSS and get the pre-sp1 hotfix for this issue.

0
j1mm3 (2)

number rounding in MS Excel

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed