UPPER CASE formatting a cell

 I receive excel data from a number of sources to be combined together in a
single sheet. I would like to format a column of cells to be all upper case
but not use the =UPPER() function. I'd like to format a cell to force any
lower case char to upper case automatically when data is entered. Custom
formatting as >CCCC doesn't work. Can this be done?

Conversely, how can I force cell A1 to be UPPER CASE by using =UPPER(A2),
then remove the reference to A2 when printing the result? I don't want the
cell A2 to print.
This I forget how to do.

0
Dan4650 (795)

Hi
you'll need VBA for this. See:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Dan wrote:
> I receive excel data from a number of sources to be combined together
> in a single sheet. I would like to format a column of cells to be all
> upper case but not use the =UPPER() function. I'd like to format a
> cell to force any lower case char to upper case automatically when
> data is entered. Custom formatting as >CCCC doesn't work. Can this be
> done?
>
> Conversely, how can I force cell A1 to be UPPER CASE by using
> =UPPER(A2), then remove the reference to A2 when printing the result?
> I don't want the cell A2 to print.
> This I forget how to do.

0
frank.kabel (11126)

How to locate the Row and Column of an Active Cell
Hello, Does anybody know how to display the Row and Column of an Active Cell and display it in another cell. Regards, Hi Fred Copy this event in the sheet module Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Range("A1").Value = Cells(Target.Row, Target.Column).Address(False, False) End Sub In A1 you see the address now -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D4077DB-CECC-4151-8135-EBBC22C07DF7@microsoft.com... > Hello, > Does anybody know how to display the Row...

Get cell value
Hello I've got a variable that is set to the cell address of a item of data that I'm looking for. Do Set rngFind = .FindNext(rngFind) If rngFind.Address <> firstAddress Then addSelection = addSelection & rngFind.Address & "," 'Debug.Print rngFind.Offset(0, 0).Value & " " & rngFind.Offset(0, 1).Value & " " & rngFind.Offset(0, 3).Value & " " & rngFind.Offset(0, 7).Value cnt = cnt + 1 End ...

Formula needed: Return cell value in a range depending on other cell values
Hi All! I have a mortgage amortization spreadsheet where I'd like the value in Column C to be returned if the value in Column D is greater than zero and the value in column J is equal to zero... The range for Column C is C13:C373... Something like: If column D > 0 and column J = 0, return column C If you need more enough, please post a reply and I'll try to make myself more clear. TIA! LavaDude... copy this formula in the required result column and drag down. =IF(AND(D1>0,J1=0),C1,"") if the condition is satisfied, it will return a value from column ...

moving data from one cell to another
I copied and pasted many lines into a spreadsheet that are in this sort of order: 5/6/2004 Data 5/6/2004 Data #1 5/6/2004 Data #2 5/6/2004 Data 5/6/2004 Data #3 Since you can't see the lines, i'll explain - First column contains a date, second column contains data, then below the Data row, for some, there is a # in the third column. I would like to move the data over to the third column and insert the # into the second column (where the Data was). Or, Insert a new column between the first and second, and inse...

Adding a character to a number cell based on a condition
Simply, I'd like to add a "+" sign to a number in a cell depending on a condtion. More details: I've written a formula to calculate the number of employees on any given shift. It displays beautifully in the appropriate cell. Now I'd like to add the plus sign to the number if a supervisor is on duty. I can handle writing all the conditions, I just need to know how to augment a cell value to include another character based on those conditions. (i.e. change 4 to 4+, 6.5 to 6.5+, etc...) P.S. I'd really like the plus-sign, but would settle for anyway to signify a su...

sum if based on cell forrmatting...is it possible and how to
� - $ - C$ - Hi All Guru's out there I do not know if this is a silly question or not but here goes I want to set up a spreadsheet proforma whereby i can total all the amounts (they are results of other formulae) that end up in cells that are formatted as currencies as laid out in example above having used. format cells- accounting- symbol $ English (United State) symbol C$ Spanish (Nicaragua) symbol � is it possible to do a sum if on the cell values based purely on the cell symbol format an example would be most appreciated Regards to all Ye...

Case Billing
Hello, I'm trying to work out how to bill for the time spent on a case. I can generate a report showing closed cases and the time spent, but I need to exclude them from future reports so the time isn't billed twiced. I noticed there is an "isbilled" field on the case (incident) record. How does this get set? Sorry if this is trival question but I'm new to CRM. Thanks, Darren You can set that field manually or by using a workflow rule. It's really there if you want to set up some integration between CRM and an accounting application, but that integration wou...

HTML format #3
I would like to reply to a rich text message in HTML but the choice "HTML" under the Format Menu bar is not available to me. It is available in messages that come in as HTML, but that's sort of useless to me. Any ideas? Cheers! ...

Adding to the cell value with a macro
I would like to select a cell with a product code (let's say cell B6 contains Part #ABC). I would like to activate that cell, click on a button to run a macro to change the quantity (lets say quantitiy is in cell A6.) If A6 is currently 0, a click would change it to 1. if it is 2, a click would change it to 3. On a sheet with many product numbers, the macro would start at the active cell, jumpone column to the left, and "1" and return to the cell to the right. I know this is possible, but can not seem to get there. Thanks in advance for your help Private Sub Comm...

Copy formula down a column does not use correct cell reference
I have a sheet that displays a sum in a pivot table. I am then trying to calculate that sum as a percentage in the next column. My problem is that I have 300 rows to fill with the percentage formula. When I try to drag the formula down the page, it does not use the corresponding row's cell from the pivot table. How do I prevent that? For example: =IF(ISERROR(GETPIVOTDATA("wTime",$X$3,"wk",12)/AI16),"-",GETPIVOTDATA("wTime",$X$3,"wk",12)/AI16) Then as I drag the formula down it changes the AI16 to the correct cell reference but the pa...

Problem with Huge Empty Cells
Hi, I don't know what I did but somehow my worksheet contains a lot of empty cells which I don't need - resulting in the scrollbar becoming very small and the file size very big. I tried to delete the empty cells right till the end of the sheet but the scrollbar remains very small and the file size still very big. What should I do? Thanks a million! See this info on "used range" at Debra Dalgleish's site. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Explains cause and cure. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:33:05 -0800, "Dolphinv4"...

Italics within a mixed formatting cell are slightly raised
I have a sentence in a cell. When I italicize a few words in the sentence, the italicized words are slightly raised, as if superscript has been applied, yet the font size stays the same. (In fontspeak, I would say that the baseline of the italicized words has been raised a point or two.) The font is Arial 7.5pt. Has anyone encountered this? Thanks ...

Naming cells #2
I want to give the same cell in two different worksheets the same name, "Company," but Excel won't allow me to. Is there a way to do that? Sheet1!Company and Sheet2!Company -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Watercolor artist" <Watercolorartist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3DB83250-3F90-442D-BB71-00F78814641F@microsoft.com... > I want to give the same cell in two different worksheets the same name, > "Company," but Excel won't allow me to. Is there a way to do that? Watercolor art...

Rounding to whole numbers and taking the left overs to a new cell
I need to create a formula that will take a number like 598.1774 and put it into two different cells. I would like one cell to contain a whole number (590 or I suppose 598, but i'd prefer 590) and in the other cell put the left overs (8.1774 or .1774). Does anyone have a quick solution to this one? If your number is in A2, then put this formula in B2... =10*TRUNC(A2/10) and put this number in C2... =A2-B2 -- Rick (MVP - Excel) <christopherphartley@gmail.com> wrote in message news:2c02c84a-56f9-456d-9c33-05dbf9a4155c@35g2000pry.googlegroups.com... >I need to create a form...

Drag and drop without changing the format of the cell left behind
I would like to move text from one cell to another without losing the format of the cell I draged it from, or have the format auto revert back after I drop the cell. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I don't know of a way to do this. Why not CTRL-Drag (copy/drag)? It'll keep the original contents in the originating cell along with the formatting. jeff >-----Original Message----- >I would like to move text from one cell to another without losing the >format of the cell I draged it from, or have the format auto revert >back after I drop the cell. >...

how are dates formated in a newsletter
Would like to know the formal way to enter dates in newsletters With elbow length white gloves, of course. (It's a matter of personal preference.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Newsletter Dates" <Newsletter Dates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08814980-224D-4668-8807-001C7C93CBE9@microsoft.com... > Would like to know the formal way to enter dates in newsletters Insert, date and time, there are a variety of choices. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "N...

Safe Pay format
Our bank requires Payee AND 1st address line. How can I get the 1st address line in the file format?? Sorry- forgot to include that we are running GP 9.0 with Service Pack 3 and we have the Safe Pay module. "Julie Rupp" wrote: > Our bank requires Payee AND 1st address line. > How can I get the 1st address line in the file format?? ...

Format change after printing in excel
I have set up a version of a work order that we would like to use in a checklist format. I have installed a bunch of option buttons (Yes/No) and check boxes in this work book and when I print all the option buttons and check boxes then slide to the extreme left of the page. All the boxes and buttons are then illegible. Argh! I this too much for excel? Any help out there? xl2002??? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;838910 Controls move to the left of the worksheet in Microsoft Excel 2002 But Jim Rech recently posted this: This article is now obsolete. Since th...

Each Client wants a receipt formated for his own
Dear All; I have an access 2002 stock control application and each one of my clients has his own formatted report. When I redesign the report to meet his requirements I need to go back to the source mdb file and make the changes then make an mde and deliver the application, and so on for each client. Is there any way that I can keep my mde file as a standard application and make the report for each client as separate report? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance Wael What customization do your users want? If it's a company logo, there's...

How to get Format of a Cell
Hi, I want to display the format a perticular Cell is using. i.e. : it may be using Number format, or General format etcc.. How to display it in a msgbox. Thanks Regards Mili. Hi Mili If the particular cell happen to be where your cursor is: Sub test() MsgBox ActiveCell.NumberFormat End Sub -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Followup to newsgroup only please "Mili" <mili_rao@yahoo.com> skrev i melding news:005101c3a2e7$d0a64ad0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > I want to display the format a perticular Cell is > using. i.e. : it may be using Number format, or Gene...

sumproduct of part cells of a range with blanks
hi all, please help REF is the name of the range A5:A10, it's items are the following A5=123.a A6=45.b A7=22.b A8=19.a A9=25.a A10 is blank the formula =sumproduct(--left(REF,find(".",REF)-1)) gives an error #VALUE! if any cell of the range is blank. is there a way to solve this problem with many thanks It's not that it is a blank per se, it's because find cannot find a period, this should work unless you have letter with periods like aaa.a but if the only other alternative to numberDOTletter is a blank this should work =SUM(IF(ISERROR(FIND(".",A5:A10...

format cell for figures
1. How can I format a cell or range of cells so that the actual figure I entered will get automaticall converted in lakhs e.g. the actual figure 64646587.646664 entered in A1 cell should convert in lakhs as 6464.6587646664. 2. How can I make Excel to move along the cell A1, A2, A3 (press Enter button)then B1, B2, B3 (press Enter button) then C1,C2, C3 and so on.. Ajit -- Knowldege is Power 1. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1:H10")) Is Nothing Then ...

conditional formatting #25
Excel 2003. Beginner user here. I have Cell C3 with a date and time. I have Cell D3 with a date and time. I want Cell C3 to become bold text if the date only is the same as the date in cell C3. C3 12/1/09 08:20 (bold text because the date is equal) D3 12/1/09 13:20 I tried using conditional formatting but only the dates and times that are exactly the same are bold. I need the conditional formatting to ignore the time. Thanks, Linda For future posts indicate what version of Excel you are using since the methods are different Select C3, do format>conditional Formatting, us...

Move images along with cells, similar to Word
Hello, in Microsoft Word, when you put in an image, you can set it to move along with the text content (text moves down 3 lines, so does image). You can also set it so that the image never gets cut off, it'll automatically bump to a new page to stay intact across one sheet. I'd like to have similar behaviour in Excel if at all possible. I'm using Excel 2002 :S. "phillr" wrote: > Hello, in Microsoft Word, when you put in an image, you can set it to move > along with the text content (text moves down 3 lines, so does image). You can > also set it so tha...

"Too Many Cell Formats" #2
Hi, I am working on a large workbook which has around 20 worksheets and is about 7Mb in size. I oftern have to add extra sheets and colums to the base workbook. The problem I have is that an error window pops up saying that there are "too many cell formats". I understand this is because excel will only allow a certain number of cell formats in each workbook. Is there a way to increase the capacity of the workbook for cell formats. If not what aadvice is there for relieveing this problem, when colour is a requirement. I have suffered from this problem and qeried the news gro...