updating the data range for a pivot table

Hello,
I am using pivot tables in a  sheet to summarize data, and I added
few rows to the original table that the pivot tables are drawing from.
How can I update the data range that the tables pull from withou
having to redo all the pivot tables??

Thanks a lot!
Dav

> I am using pivot tables in a  sheet to summarize data, and I added a
> few rows to the original table that the pivot tables are drawing from.
> How can I update the data range that the tables pull from without
> having to redo all the pivot tables??

Use a dynamic named range as the "master" table data source ; see here

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

for how.

Rgds,
Andy

0
andy.j.brown (443)
6/2/2004 2:31:33 PM
Right click on the pivot table.
Select "Wizard".
Click "Back".
Modify the existing Data Source (if all you've done is add columns/rows,
Shift-Click the last used cell).
Click Finish

-or- use a dynamic range for your pivot table (as another response has
suggested)

HTH,
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"dwojtowi >" <<dwojtowi.17893d@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am using pivot tables in a  sheet to summarize data, and I added a
> few rows to the original table that the pivot tables are drawing from.
> How can I update the data range that the tables pull from without
> having to redo all the pivot tables??
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Dave
>

> ---

JunkGeorgeN (154)

WriteXml, DateTime, and Timezone data
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C5D4C2.CF4AB1D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Greetings. I am using a myDataSet.WriteXml(StringWriter) function (and then using = the ToString() function to convert it to a string) to build an XML = string based on the contents of my dataset. This in itself works great. I am then passing this string back to a PowerBuilder module that is = taking this XML string and doing what it needs to do with it. This is = almost working great as well. It wo...

Help with using data
Hi I would really appreciate some help with extracting data from Outlook. I have been building up a database of clients/prospectives, these are in various categories. I would like to extract/search on various fields as well as my own categories, all i can do with export is extract the whole lot to a tab delimited file. Or export categories to an rge file which I can't use. Any ideas out there? thanks Outlook's Search doesn't suffice? There are 3rd party search applications that might help. What sprcifically stops you from exporting to a format other than TSV? There are other...

entering new data in a saved spreadsheet without losing formulas?
How do I do this? Hi Jackie, As long as you do not overwrite the formulas, then any new data will not affect the formula. I suspect though that there is more to this question. Are you concerned about writing new data into a cell that has a formula in it? The way to stop a cell's data being overwritten is to put protection onto it. This means taking protection off all the other cells otherwise you will not be able to write data to any cell. First select the whole worksheet concerned, then go to Format\Cells and select the protection tab and unselect the 'locked' tick box,...

Three different fields in one record referencing to three different records in another table
Hi. I have TableA and TableB TableA has 3 fields where types of file extensions (for different purpose) are supposed to be stored. Table B has many extension type strings for these TableA three fields (.tif, .jpg, .pdf, .gif, etc). 3 combo boxes refer to Table B to get and store TableB keys in TableA appropriated fields. When I set up table retaionship, Acces 'creates' also TableB_1 and TableB_2 and show a diagram where two other similar to tabelB tables show up. So long so good. I can create records in TableA having chosen, for each different file purpose, the respective extens...

Array Formula not updating
I have a quite a large array formula: {=(INDEX('[Plant Movements Entry.xls]Data'!$E$2:$E$9997,MAX(('[Plant Movements Entry.xls]Data'!$A$2:$A$9997=A3)*ROW('[Plant Movements Entry.xls]Data'!$A$2:$A$9997))-CELL("row",'[Plant Movements Entry.xls]Data'!$A$2)+1))} for some reason it wont update properly unless the other workbook which it refers to is open, if the other book is not open it returns error values. its strange because i have used the same formula in other books with out incident can any one shed some light on why this may be? Cheers The pr...

Stock quote updates #2
Is there a way in Money 2003 Deluxe or any Money Deluxe (2004,2005) version to tell when the downloads for stock quotes ends? I have had this version for about a year now and I feel as though the stock quote downloads will expire. When the stock quote downloads stop in my $2003 version, I will upgrade to $2004 of $2005. I would like to know how to tell when the stock quote downloads end. Thanks It is in the EULA - it is one or two years after first install (depending on version) or a fixed date. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.micro...

Data format for pages
I want to change the format control properties "DataFormatAs" to a currency in Data Access Page (access 2000). Its asking for a code but I dont how?. Its easier in newer versions Select the Data Access Page > choose design > double click the field/cell whose format you want changed > Hit Design tab > Format > Change to Currency. -- HTP Adnan "Newguy" wrote: > I want to change the format control properties "DataFormatAs" to a currency > in Data Access Page (access 2000). Its asking for a code but I dont how?. Its > easier in newer ...

Clean all "data" from a database
Access 2007 on Win XP I have an existing database that I want to use for a new function. I do want to start out with empty tables after the demonstration and training phase. Therefore I am looking for a way to empty all data records from all tables. I have read and understand the process of creating a new database and exporting the tables as structure or definition only. My question is in Access 2007 is it possible to execute this procedure on more than one table, query,form, or report at a time? I have 10 tables, 20 queries, 22 forms, and 32 reports. I have attemptted to se...

Custom class exists to add, update, delete and select nodes in record style XML file???
I am considering writing a Class that Selects, Adds, Updates and Deletes Nodes in an XML File but do not what to reinvent the wheel. (See XML file below) That data format would emulate records in a Database Table with a Primary Key for each Record (see xml sample below) and a flat file structure. I would use a class to manipulate this type of data structure extensivly if I had one. Does anyone know of such an animal? Thanks In Advance Earl <?xml version="1.0"?> <ROOT NextPk="3"> <RECORD PkNum="1"> <NAME>Mark</NAME> <...

How do you point to a named range in linked workbooks?
Workbook #1 has a range named "Gross Sales" in Sheet1 Cells A2:K2. How can I point to this range so that I can link it to Sheet1 Cells2:K2 in Workbook #2? Is this what you're looking for...? In workbook 2 enter "=[Book1]Sheet1!$A$2" in cell A2. Do the same for cells B2 through K2 with the correct respective links. Hope this helps. -Chad "KG" wrote: > Workbook #1 has a range named "Gross Sales" in Sheet1 Cells A2:K2. How can I > point to this range so that I can link it to Sheet1 Cells2:K2 in Workbook #2? Or, if you don't like to ...

Purchasing Mix & Match Tables- what do you think???
Microsoft should add a Mix & Match table for purchasing. It would act the same way it would for the sale of an item only it would help calculate the Purchase Orders. Example: I buy cases of coke. I need 100 cases to reach a qty discount. A purchase order report would calculate the products needed to reach the level. This would be an priority trigger over the ROP. For example if I sold 25 cases of each (coke, diet coke, caf free coke, caf free diet coke) and my reorder point was 30 case sales(for each) a purchase order would not be generated. If the Mix & Match PO could do a: cal...

Problem importing data from text file
Hi, I have a comma delimited file that has twenty column names followed by six rows of data. I am trying to import this into Excel. When I do this, the data imports entirely into row one. It does import into difference cells but there is one row with 120 cells of data. I was expecting it two "Wrap" and start importing the data into cell A2. Can anyone help with this? How do I show the break between column headers and data? Thanks, Chuck ...

How do I transfer email data from WinXp to Windows 7
I just set up a new computer with Windows 7 and need to transfer my email folders and emails contained therein from my old computer which has outlook express in WinXP. I would prefer to transfer the data with a USB flash drive as I have no cables or other perhipherals to utilize another method. I've checked the internet and tried several methods suggested therein but nothing has worked. Moreover, theres no reference with regard to transferring from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail (Windows 7), if that has any bearing on my ability to effect the transfer. This may not b...

Global Adress list not updating
Outlook Global Address List in Outlook is not updating when users are added or deleted in Active directory. I have clicked on "Update Now" under Recipient Update Service In Exchange System Manager. This does not update the list. Any ideas anyone? Which version of Exchange? Which version of Windows? Which version of Outlook? E "Brendon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:045601c3c42e$bb8ee630$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Outlook Global Address List in Outlook is not updating > when users are added or deleted in Active direct...

Data Validation
What I am trying to achieve is a drop down list that would look something like this: D1a - suipplies F1g - cell phones C2a - travel E4b - computers and so on and so forth. I can do that. What I would like to happen though is in the same cell that the drop down box is in (a29) I would like to select one of those options and only have D1a, or F1f, ect show up in the cell. The words are just references to my budget, and I don't nned them after I selected the right one. Is this possible? I am somewhat new to excel and have never went into the visual basic editor and I don't have...

Item 'Last Ordered' Field updates inappropriately
The 'Last Ordered' field updates when I transfer inventory out. This is not good. If I want to know the last time I bought an item, the date of the most recent transfer does not help - especially if it was an inter-store transfer out. Ideally, separate fields for 'Last Transferred In' and Last Transferred Out' could be added as separate fields. This would reserve the 'Last Ordered' field for the last time the item was actually ordered from a supplier. Alternately, and better thant the present system, the field could simply update with purchase orders ONLY...

Exchange calendar update tool does not work
Hi I need help on this. I installed exchange calendar tool on a windows XP. At first it works, but now it does not work any more. First, I run Msextmzcfg.exe and it works. I got batch file and input file. I created a defualt outlook prifile which user has full mailbox access and send as permission on all maiboxes on the exchange server. When I run the batch file, Msextmz.exe will open outlook serveravl time base on how many users in the input file. But it does not open all the users' mailbox, it only repeatly open the default user mailbox. So the TZmove.exe will only run on the defualt use...

New Update - CCNA BSCI ARCH CCIE-SEC
More downloads for you !!! >>> Hello, Below is the list of files recently got posted at http://CertCityForum.com If you have trouble accessing the download link then please refer to Forum rules - http://certcityforum.com/index.php/topic,3.0.html 640-801 - 836 Questions - 6/6/2006 Cisco Certified Network Associate ******************************************* 642-801 - 687 Questions - 6/6/2006 Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) ******************************************* 642-871 - 260 Questions - 6/6/2006 Designing Cisco Network Services Architecture ************...

Link Two Tables with AutoNumber fields to One Form
Hi, I'm really stumped on this one: Right now I have a form that is linked to my Registration table. I want it to also be linked to my ID table, because I want to be able to update both tables using one form. I heard of creating a sub-form. Would this solve the trick? Right now, when I create a new record in the form, the AutoID of the Registration table increases sequentially. I want to be able to also have the ID table increase its AutoID and create a new record in that table too. That way I can use that new ID table value to create a value that will eventually be stored in...

excel data base modification
hi there. i need some help please guys. i have exported some names & telephone numbers from a software packag (sms centre) & im trying 2import them in2 a package called e-txt. thes packages reads csv files. ive encountered a problem my exported files r saved in excel lik this... name - country code - area code - phon number joe bloggs - 44 - 07977 - 797898 but the e-txt database fields r as follows 1st name - surname - phone number joe - bloggs - 447977797898 ...

Importing data into lead with custom attribute
I have created a custom attribute (gg_category) for the lead entity. The attribute exists on the default lead form. The customizations have been published and IISRESET has been issued. When I try and import data from a "clean" CSV file, I get the following error: 'Lead' entity doesn't contain attribute with Name = 'gg_category'. What am I missing here? Is there an extra step that I have left out? Thanks. Or ...

Copy and paste two named ranges together.
I am attempting to copy and combine two named ranges of equal size into a blank spreadsheet. How does one copy the first named range and concurrently seperate each copied row with a blank row into the blank spreadsheet, and copy the second range and paste those copied records into the blank rows? I am looking for a systematic way of doing this consolidation. There can be hundreds of rows of data. Also the named ranges can very in size month to month. The end result is to combine two ranges for a journal entry upload into a financial accounting entry. The two arrays represent the ...

Merging Data into Word and Want Checkboxes (Yes/No data type)
I am trying to merge data from my access database into word. I have several items that are checkboxes in access. How do i get those checkboxes to merge into word so that i see them. Right now they just produce numbers if they are checked or not. Thanks I'm not sure you can do with with a straight mail merge. The following is a snippet of code from one of my applications. The app relies on documents that have already been bookmarked with simple bookmarks (for fields longer than 255 characters), checkboxes (for y/n fields), and textboxes for everything else. The merging is d...

MS Query Data Source Change
I have a series of saved queries that I use on an ODBC data source. I would like to put them on other computers that may not have the same data sources but have different ones (tables are the same in each data source). Right now I am editing the query in Notepad to change the data source and path to the correct one on the other computers but am wondering why it is not evident how to change this in the query itself. Can it be done? How? TIA I had a similiar problem which I solved with a form/macro. (I don't think you can point to a different source other than manually changing t...

Pub. Folder Calendar changes are not updating for all to see
I have a calendar in Public folders that all can read and change. In Outlook 2003 I add that calendar to "My Calendars" I can then go into it quickly instead of browsing through public folders. I see all current information in that calendar. I make a change and I can see that change. However, nobody else can see that change. If I go into the public folder version of that calendar and make a change, it reflects on everyone's view of it. Is that "My calendars" feature not just a shortcut to the public folder itself? It seems so in that i can see everything ...