Update linked formulas between workbooks

We have 2 workbooks where staff enter daily totals.  The totals in these
2 worksbooks need to be combined for a grand total.  I created a
formula that adds Day 1 of workbook1 to Day 1 of workbook2.  However,
we must save both workbooks, and close/reopen the one with the formula
to update the total.  I tried using Edit/Links but that didn't work.
Any suggestions?

---

Hi,

Check that 'Update remote references' is checked un
Tools|Options|Calculation.

Cheers

"lbabli" <lbabli.yke8y@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> We have 2 workbooks where staff enter daily totals.  The totals in these
> 2 worksbooks need to be combined for a grand total.  I created a
> formula that adds Day 1 of workbook1 to Day 1 of workbook2.  However,
> we must save both workbooks, and close/reopen the one with the formula
> to update the total.  I tried using Edit/Links but that didn't work.
> Any suggestions?
>

> ---

How do I fix Brainstorm 'Got to subpage' links (Save as web)?
Only some of my subpage-links work fine in the .html-Version of a diagram. Some topics just don´t aren´t clickable (although I performed 'Move Topic to new page') ...

Updating workbooks by adding elements of other workbooks?
One of the things that has been a problem in the past is how to transfer improvements in one workbook to a completely different one. The challenge with the current workbook project I'm working on is that unfortunately, I have to maintain two separate books. Though the format is identical, the vlookup tables, I believe that's what they're called, or sheets etc., are drastically different. So much easier if I just had one, but there you are. What happen is that the main sheet needs some major editing sometimes while the rest of the workbook must remain exactly the same. I know th...

Excel: Replace strings with a Matrix formula
Hello NG, the following sheet: - In column A are words in German. - In column B are the translated words in English. - In C1 is one English clause with only one single German word in it. ToDo: I want translate this word in English and write it o D1. But I dont want to use VBA or more then one cell for the calculation. Such solutions I can make for myself. I'm working since several years with Excel and VBA. Currently I'm playing with this matrix formula. (I have translated the Excel function names from German to English, but I dont know if I used the right words.) {=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH...

MATCH formula #2
I have a spreadsheet that lists all the types of machines and thei model numbers. When a customer places an order for a specific machine I need to reference the other workbook in order to get the model number Is there a way to have this done automatically. For example: when enter a machine type (CE-10), I want the model number for that machin to be entered automatically in another cell, without having to open th other workbook and copy and paste the number myself. I considered dat validation (using a list) but can't reference another workbook. Any thoughts? Thanks, De -- da ------...

issue with serial port on module, updating form
Hello, Ive created a serial port instance on a module. In the same module I have the sub data_received. Now I'd like to update a control in a form, how can I do it? Thanks in advance You need to use Control.BeginInvoke or .Invoke to update the UI via a Delegate. You can download the VB2005 Terminal example from my website, which illustrates this. Dick -- Richard Grier, Consultant, Hard & Software 12962 West Louisiana Avenue Lakewood, CO 80228 303-986-2179 (voice) Homepage: www.hardandsoftware.net Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Comm...

Run subroutines in other workbooks?
I have some code that initially opens another workbook, ie: Set wb = Workbooks.Open ("myotherfile.xlsx") This code opens the other workbook file and the "handle" gets stored in the "wb" variable. My question is, now that the workbook is open, how can I run any of the subroutines in this other workbook??? (Assume that the "myotherfile.xlsx" file has a subroutine named "Public Sub Foo (ByVal x as Integer)"... I would like to call this function!) Some have suggested that I need to use the Application.Run met...

Cannot link to Recrod??
I have MS Small Bus 2007 on a new laptop. Have used Publisher for years. I'm getting a message whenever I used Publisher now that says it "cannot link to record". It goes on to say "Before Publisher can link this item to a Business Contact Mgr record: Set up Outlook as your Default email program or Create your Outlook profile, and complete the startup wizard for Outlook 2007 w/Business Contact Mgr". I have no idea what this is about and am not trying to work in Outlook, while using Publisher. Outlook may be open, but I'm not doing anything that I can se...

Can't move worksheet to new workbook
I have a client who has always imported comma delimited files into Excel and then copied that worksheet into a master .xls workbook using the Move function. With Excel 2007 this is no longer working. It gives an error stating that the destination does not have enough rows and columns. However this move function works if moving a worksheet that started off as an .xls file - not .txt. Could someone please offer some assistance? Thank you. Hi David Could you provide a few more details. You talk about comma delimited files at the beginning, then .txt files at the end. Are these files...

Linking Excel to a Access database #2
Thanks I am giving it a try, it retireves the data ok, but it i difficult to try and set the table up, there are too many differen categories in the data! I will try and see if I can work this one out though..... Otherwise is there anyway that Excel functions can count data in a Access database without importing it -- martin ridle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- martin ridley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=803 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26695 ...

Macro giving errors at workbook open
I have several macros built into this workbook. One of the macros is supposed to clear all fields in several different ranges. I get the error "cannot change part of a merged cell" and then when i removed any merged cells from the ranges i get some kind of global error. i wiil post my macro here, can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? Workbook : Option Explicit 'Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) ' Call ChkData ' If CancelA = True Then Cancel = True 'End Sub Private Sub Workbook_Open() Dim RngName As Var...

datetime format issues when linking access to excel
Does anyone had problems with datetime issues when trying to link access into excel? using the database query option, it gives me an error of [microsoft][ODBC Microsoft access driver]invalid datetime format on column number 1 (date/time), and will not import the data. ...

Formula to Calculate Dates
I need to enter one date, and have it compute the future date based on the number of years: For Example: - Date Added: June 2007 - Number Of Years: 5 Year - Expiration Date (Need Formula): June 2012 How would I get that result. BTW: Using Excel 2000 =DATE(YEAR(A1)+5,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "S" <S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8504259F-4193-4CE3-9387-EAB68624076E@microsoft.com... |I need to enter one date, and have it compute the future date based on the | number of years: | | For Example: | - Date Added: J...

mysterious URL link in reply emails only ??
I am trying to help someone with a strange to me Outlook issue. Outlook 2003 SP3 on XP Pro SP2 laptop using Exchange 2003 SP2 email server. If the user sends someone an email then everything is as expected. However when someone replies to him then in the reply email there is an extra URL link shown at the end of his signiature. It is a LinkedIn URL for a former employee. This is driving him nuts and I can not figure it out. I checked his one and only email signiature and can not find any reference to the extra link URL there. It seems as it is happening on his end in his Outlook config...

Charts GONE after Windows XP SP3 Update!?!
I have Office 2007 SP1 Enterprise Edition and, until last night, Windows XP Professonal SP2 installed on my PC. Last night I went through the normal Microsoft Update site to upgrade to SP3 and everything seemed to go well. However, I noticed this morning that all of my Excel files I have that previously had worksheets on them showing charts are not displaying those charts at all. The worksheets that they were on are still in the files, but the charts themselves seem to have disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know of a way to resolve this? Thanks... Hi, ...

DDE links to Bloomberg
Hi I have a spreadhseet that extracts data from Bloomberg via DDE. I have another spreadsheet with a macro that copies and pastes the original spreadsheet. In Office 2000, the Bloomberg spreadsheet would ask if we wanted to update the links. We would say no and the stale data would be available. In Excel 2003, it asks us if we want to update the links. We say no and the DDE formula turns to an error rather than staying as the stale data. Is there a way around this? The DDE formula is: ='C:\blp\API\dde\Blp.xla'!BLP($A2,B$1:C$1,,,BLP|M!'GNSF 4.50 Mtge,[PX LAST,LAST UPDATE...

VLOOKUP formula searching multiple worksheets ??
Does anyone know how to search for info from multiple Excel worksheets using the VLOOOKUP formula or any other formula. I have my VLOOKUP formula(column B) and list of values(column A) (sorted in ascending order) on Worksheet 7 and I need to search for these values in Worksheets 1,2,3,4,5& 6 Column F. Is this possible with Excel ? I've tried this by using the formula VLOOKUP(A2,Wrk1:Wrk6!$F:$G,1,FALSE) but I get a #VALUE! error. You will need a construct along these lines: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,Wrk1!$F:$G,2,0)), IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,Wrk2!$F:$G,2,0)), IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,Wrk3!$F:$G,2...

Change the Network Link Speed
I am using windows ce 5.0. I have VDX-6534 embedded system. It uses a Vortex System on Chip processor. The ethernet controller is an R6040. My OS is built and operating fine. It is a headless system, no Video, no mouse no keyboard. Only FTP and Telnet access. I would like to force the ethernet controller to use only 10BaseT (10MBits / S). Is there any way to do this programatically? I tried setting the SPEED and ForceDpx parameters in the Registry but that did not change anything. Can SETIFENTRY be used to change the SPEED parameter??? Any help would be greatly...

Hyperlink to cell within the same Workbook
I Have a workbook with about 30 sheets, I named cells contained essential information. With so many sheets I decided to make another one and I call it Summary. In this sheet I created a search with 3 droplists that are linked to functions. Know I need make a link to the cell that contains the result of my search, so I can see the items that have contributed for the result. I have tried the funtion "Hyperlink" but it only works with files or url and I can't make it work within the workbook. How can I make a hyperlink within an workbook? Make an hyperlink to a cell in a...

Array formula
{=SUM((F45=10)*(H45={1,2,3})*{20,10,5})+((F45=20)*(H45={1, 2,3})*{42,21,11})} This formula works fine, up until the separated part, then it just does nothing(I put the spaces in just to clarify the problem area for this discussion). No matter what order put the arguments in, it only works up to the same point. Is this just a case of to much info? How do I extend this formula (I need it to be even longer the above example). thanks. Hi Atom, Try replacing SUM by SUMPRODUCT and do a normal completion with just ENTER since it is not an array formula Bernard "atom" <hmm@hmm.com...

Disable "Quotes, News and other Information" in update now.
I'm using Money 2006 stand alone without passport.net. When in Money and choosing Connect to Bank/Update Now (update online information), I'm given two options by check marks: Quotes, News and other information and Account Transactions. I want to permanently disable the Quotes, News and other information category. If I uncheck the box, it always comes back the next time when I update. I want to uncheck the box and keep it unchecked so as to move forward with only the Account Transactions in a timely manner. Is there a place where I can make this permanent change? Thanks! -- Paulie.....

Formula Check... Please
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C61A25.29EC1E10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I didn't receive a response on my last post so I worked on my problem = some and came up with some results. Could someone look over my formulas = and tell me if I can achieve this same result any easier? Here is a sample of the worksheet: D E F G H I J K L M N O=20 22 Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Reg OT x1.5 OTx 2 Rate Total=20 23 off 12 11 11 11 11 off 40 15 1 10.00 $645.00=20 ...

Can I use the NOW() function in a formula?
I have a cell B1 that has NOW() time and another cell B2 that has NOW() date. I am trying to have data from another cell F1 brought in to the destination cell B3, when a given date and time occur. =(IF(AND(B1="23:00:00",B2="12/03/2009"),F1," ") This formulas does not work. The Clock is continuously active / always changing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. The NOW() function returns both a date and a time. Even if you format the cell to display only date/time, all the data is still retained. NOte that if you did want just the d...

Copy and Paste without copying Formulas
I have created a workbook with several sheets. The first sheet consists of a master list of 8000 numbers. The second sheet is where I paste a smaller list of numbers. The workbook performs a search and returns numbers that match on the third sheet. The third sheet also has formulas. I want to be able to copy and paste the resulting info on the third sheet to another workbook without copying any of the formulas......I just want the info. Any suggestions?? Ken Copy>Paste Special>Values>OK>Esc. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:21:13 -0800, "Ken"...

links not updating
Hi I have two files. Data in File 1 is linked to data in file 2. I have both the files open. When I change a value in file 2, the data in file 1 should update automatically. This doesn't seem to be happening. I have to go to each cell and hit F2 for the update to happen. I've tried both F9 and Shift-F9. The calcuations are set to automatic but still it doesn't update uatomatically. Any idea what is happening? Thanks Utkarsh Do you have calculation set to automatic (tools|Options|calculation tab)? If yes, are you sure you have both workbooks open in the same instance of excel? ...

Forms Check Box cell link
Excel 2003 I am using a check box created with the Forms menu. I created a box over cell D4. Using the Format Control box, I linked the check box to cell D4. I want to copy the check box in cell D5, D6, D7,.... and I want the cell link to integrate in the same mannor; check box in cell D5 should link to cell D5, and so on. Is there a way to accomplish this short of going into the format control box and manually editing each cell link after I have copy and pasted several check boxes? I have NOT entered the link using an absolute cell referense. I got the idea for this from Dav...