Unicode (UTF-8) text conversion

Hi ,
when i try to open a none xls file useing excel 2000, the text import wizard
opens. on the drop down menu for file origin i see windows, MAC and DOS file
origin. how do i add to files origin drop down list. i am looking for "6501
Unicode (UTF-8).

office 2000 is full installed with all tools, converters and .... latest
Service pack.

Thanks

Eddie

0
Eddie1 (114)

Display text in Excel Bubble chart. #2
H1!, I have an Excel spreadsheet which contains X-coordinates, Y-Cordinates, Well name and Cumulative Oil/Gas/Water production. I have created bubble map using X,Y and Z(Cum production). I need to show the well name on each Bubble, which I am unable to do. Kindly sugest method to display the well name on the bubbles. Thanks, Raja Mukherjee Raja - Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler (http://appspro.com) is a free addin that adds text from the worksheet to data labels on a chart series. I just tested it on a bubble chart and it works fine. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP ...

Creating a chart with text not numbers
How do I create a chart that has text values (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) instead of numbers (1, 2, 3, 4)? I have a column labeled "What is your class standing?" and below it is 166 rows where people selected "Freshman," "Sophomore," etc. I want to create a bar chart that counts how many people selected each of the four classes. Thanks, Alan First of all, you will have numbers to plot. The words are your category labels. Read how to turn a column of words like this into a histogram: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Histograms.html - Jon...

Extend text to next cell
I am trying to get my text to run over to the next cell only in display not actual value of that cell. So if A1 says, "How now brown cow.", it should show over cells A2 and A3. However, I also need the carriage returns to be picked up. If I use the "Wrap Text" property it only shows the sentence in that cell. If I don't use it I get the [] (brackets) in place of the carriage return. Maybe you could merge those cells (A1:A3 or did you really mean A1:C1?) But be aware that merging cells causes trouble with sorting, pasting, and lots of other stuff. Format|cells|al...

CopyBeforeWrite missing in VC++ 8 for CString
Hi All, What would be CopyBeforeWrite equivalent fucntion for Cstring in VC 8 tissyrose wrote: > Hi All, > What would be CopyBeforeWrite equivalent fucntion for Cstring in VC 8 Why does CopyBeforeWrite function CString Vc++ 6 removed . When I compile under VS 2005 is says function not found? What would be the possible replace function?>? Many thanks! On 15 Dec 2006 08:36:29 -0800, "tissyrose" <Linson.Tomy@gmail.com> wrote: > >tissyrose wrote: >> Hi All, >> What would be CopyBeforeWrite equivalent fucntion for Cstring in VC 8 > >Why do...

proper name conversion
I have a database that has names of people in one field, in a last name, first name order. (example: Smith, John) How can i seperate the last and first names from one text field into two different fields? Or at least have only the last name. thanks for any help. Howard wrote: >I have a database that has names of people in one field, >in a last name, first name order. (example: Smith, John) >How can i seperate the last and first names from one text >field into two different fields? Or at least have only >the last name. thanks for any help. > > This is air ...

Justifying text of an axis
How do you justify the text of an axis in an excel chart? On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, mdicke <mdicke@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How do you justify the text of an axis in an excel chart? You can't, it's fixed by the axis. The best you can do is select a monospaced font and use a custom number format with ???? (question marks). -- Del Cotter NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk, which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead. ...

Need RULE to search for Text in Body with varying # of spaces
Hi there, I have Outlook 2002 and have been using the outlook rule condition: "With specific words in the body" However the "Specific words" I'm looking for might contain varying number of spaces: EX: "some text: some more text" "some text: some more text" Is there a wildcard or something to match multiple spaces? --Thanks very much, Kenneth Kenneth Parker <kenneth.parker@sas.com> wrote: > I have Outlook 2002 and have been using the outlook rule condition: > "With specific words in the body" > > However...

text font color won't print in Excel, why?
I am using Excel 2002. I changed the text font color of the cell. It displays correctly on my screen, but it prints as black text even though I selected a pale yellow. Word 2002 prints correctly. The pale yellow prints as a light shade of gray. Does anyone know why? Thanks eagle Perhaps in Page Setup>Sheet you have "Black and White" checked? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:51:01 -0800, eagle7 <eagle7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using Excel 2002. I changed the text font color of the cell. It >displays correctly on my screen, b...

Imported text file w/o unique identifiers, find duplicates
Imported a txt file w/o unique identifiers and have run a query to find possible duplicate records based on 3 seperate fields. How can I either update those fields that may be in error in the original table or append a new record w/o the duplicate data and delete the original record? In the following I need to determine which records to keep, which to delete and/or which to update. End Date Total Sheets Time Operator Name 3/3/2007 14 0:00 00094123 B D MCNARA 3/3/2007 14 0:00 00095681 NAME UNKNOWN 3/17/2007 84 0:01 00091234 C D S 3/17/2007 84 0:01 000...

Importing text files into Excel
Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to bring large text files into Excel. The data in the text files is separated by spaces. The spaces that separate the data vary in number. I have tried to replace the spaces with tabs while in Notepad but it takes too long. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Chris Open Excel and create a blank workbook. Then: Data | Get External Data | Import Data (this command might be something like Import Text File, if you are using an older version of Excel). Browse to find your file and click to Import it. Should open up the Text Import Wizard. Make...

What can stop a PC from displaying Access 2000/2003 text & background colours?
Can anyone suggest a reason why a specific Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop should be unable to display any of the text or background colours on an utterly basic test form with only a couple of text boxes and no VBA code on an otherwise empty test database? The problem also happens with an application of mine using Access 2003 runtime - but only on this PC. It runs fine on several other PCs. I have applied every available Windows XP Home update and every available Office 2000 update to no effect. The laptop (set to 32-bit colour) can display digital colour photographs without any problem and ...

Changing a formula's result to text
I have a pretty simple worksheet that lists the date in column A. In column B, I have a formula that converts the date in Column A to the proper day of week. When I put it in a pivot table, it treats column B as an individual date, not the proper DOW. I attempted to copy/paste special/values into a new column, but it doesn't change it to the DOW, it leaves it as the date. I am trying to get Excel to permanently change the cells in column B to say "Tuesday" instead of 4/19/07. Does that make sense? All of the conventional answers don't seem to work for me. Any help? It...

text spilling over text and colums
My text is spilling over the colums and the text. When I change the view from 70% to 75% the text will not show in the row colums, they go out into the white area. If you get this today please feel free to respond. thanks in advanced. Have you tried resizing the column? or perhaps a word wrap? To resize a column at the top by the letter just click the line in between and your mouse pointer should change and allow you drag the column to size. (See pictures 1 and 2) To use the word wrap feature Right-click on the field and select format cells, then click on the alignment tab and you sho...

Picture Behind Text
I am trying to place a photo overtop of a text box but it is covering up the text. i want the text to show though the photo. how do i do this? Rob K wrote: > I am trying to place a photo overtop of a text box but it is covering > up the text. i want the text to show though the photo. how do i do > this? ==================================== Which version of Publisher? Place the text box on top of the picture. If you see an unwanted white background behind the text... select the text box and type...Ctrl+T...to make it transparent. -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital ...

Batch conversion between publisher versions.
My parents downloaded the trial of office 2007, unknown to me, and created lots of documents that are quite important. The trial has expired, is there a way to batch convert these to publisher 2000 format, as that is what they were using before. There is 100+documents. No, there is no batch conversion. Your only recourse would be to buy Publisher 2002, 2003 or 2007. Or find some kind soul to convert the files for you, one at a time. This conversion isn't necessary with newer versions of Publisher because the newer versions will open 2000 files. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://offi...

Text All Capitals
In MSWord, formatting can easily be set so that selected text is always in capitals by Format>Fonts>All Caps. Can text in Excel be similarly formatted? Yes it can be done, but not quite in the same way that Word works. Assuming Column A (ie A1, A2, A3 etc) contains the data you wish to converted to upper case, choose a parallel Column B (ie B1, B2, B3 etc.) and use the formula =UPPER(A1) =UPPER(A2) =UPPER(A3) and so on. -- MartinShort Software Tester ------------------------------------------------------------------------ MartinShort's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/mem...

Help with formatting text in a textbox
Hi All, I have been trying everything I can think of, and still not getting the results I'm after. I am trying to summarize an order in a textbox, by building a string and assigning it to the caption property of the text box. I create a recordset based on what's in the table, then loop through it and build my string(s). I want to display everything nicely, so I am trying to space each field so that I can put in a header row of labels, and then have each record show nicely spaced below. I am now finding that even when I take into account the length of the data inthe field, I still ca...

Nonadjacent Cell Text Overflow
Is there a way to merge nonadjacent cells for text overflow. What I' trying to do is have text entered into a row of merged cells(e.g. Row A1:F1) but if the text is more than the cells can contain to overflo into another nonadjacent row of merged cells(Row3 A1:F1). Thanks fo any help with this -- Db171 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Db1712's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1591 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27498 ...

Can this VBA for work on text files be modified for a different job ?
I have been using the code below (which, from memory, came from the M-Soft site before I hashed it about) successfully to open 2 text files, appending the whole of one file to the end of the other, then deleting the source file. Now a new task is to; - update all text files in a specified folder by appending a new record. This is to be a daily routine, and there should end up being about 800 to 1000 text files to be updated. - The information for the record that is appended to each file comes from a single text file each day (source file). - The first column of this 'source file' ho...

Upgrade GP Macros From 7.5 to 8
Hi can some one tell me what are the changes i have to do in a macro created in GP 7.5 so it will work with GP 8.0 as they are not working of course now. what are the commands i have to change? Hi Version 8 Menu options are different to version 7.5. It might be best to recreate the macro. What is the macro for? -- Regards James[MVP] Visit MBS Blog Central http://mbscentral.blogs.com "Nader Yousef" <NaderYousef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A20485C-59E7-4659-88AA-2DFDBF0077AA@microsoft.com... > Hi > > can some one tell me what are the ...

Wrap text limits in Excel 2003 cell formatting
We have an Excel document which needs to support rather lengthy text entries. We formatted the cell to wrap the text, but at a certain point, it stops wrapping. In the Knowledge base, I've found basic information regarding formatting cells and it included the following statement. " Select Wrap Text to wrap the text in the selected cell. The number of wrapped lines depends on the width of the column and the length of the cell contents." So I guess my question is does anyone know how to control the number of wrapped lines OR is there a fixed limit to the text wrapping i...

Text Boxes #4
I have a number of text boxes within charts that highlight some of the information. I change the data that produces the charts and would like to automatically change the text in the text box by linking the text box to cells within a worksheet. Is this possible to do? Thanks Graham Hi Graham you can link a text box to a cell, 1) click on the text box 2) click in the formula bar 3) type =A1 (or whatever cell) 4) press enter Cheers JulieD "Graham Parkinson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:219f01c4d884$799b2570$a501280a@phx.gbl... >I have a...

Using the Text Formula
I have a range of cells that I want to apply the =LOWER function to but each time that I go to make the text lowercase the text disappears from the cell. I was wondering if someone could tell me what I was possibly doing wrong? capnhud, with the text you want to change in column A, in B1 put =LOWER(A1) and copy down -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "capnhud" <capnhud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Encrypt Text in Excel
I want to encrypt text in Excel. I want the character spacing to be accurate, I just want the actual text to be encrypted to a user. Anyone know any tricks, shortcuts, add-ins to do this? Thank you! Marc One more note. It is the text in a given range of cells that I want to encrypt. I've tried looking at different fonts and then locking the cells (protecting worksheet) but none of the built-in Wingding fonts keep the character spacing intact. I thought that maybe there was a way to do a custom number or text format but wasn't able to get that to work. "Marc" wrote: ...

Conversion from HTML to XML
Hello every body Is there any technique to parse a HTML file for the values in the different attributes with the exception of the HTML tags. Or is there a way to convert HTML to XML. regards ...