Unhiding Protected Rows and Columns? is it possible?

I have a workbook with a number of worksheets that all interlink.

I have protected a number of cells in one of the sheets.

the problem arrises in that the unprotected cells cannot be hidden or
indeed unhidden when the sheet is protected.  Is there a way I can
protect cells whilst still keeping the formatting ability to widen /
hide rows etc.

thanks

--
guilf
guilf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25608

If you're using xl2002+, you can choose to format columns or rows in the
tools|protect|protect sheet dialog.

If you're using xl2k or below, maybe you could provide a macro that would
unprotect the sheet, hide the row and then reprotect the sheet.

guilf wrote:

> I have a workbook with a number of worksheets that all interlink.
>
> I have protected a number of cells in one of the sheets.
>
> the problem arrises in that the unprotected cells cannot be hidden or
> indeed unhidden when the sheet is protected.  Is there a way I can
> protect cells whilst still keeping the formatting ability to widen /
> hide rows etc.
>
> thanks
>
> --
> guilf
> guilf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25608
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=390226

--

Dave Peterson
0

Sorting group/outline rows
If you have grouped rows, can you sort on the top outline hierarchy and keep the grouped rows with their respective hierarchy? Jan ...

Heading rows repeat in word embedded excel table
I have embedded an excel table in word and I want to make the top row o the table appear on every page if the table spreads on to more pages. know how to do it in word, you use: Table>Heading Rows Repeat, but th tables column is missing when I selected the embedded table, what can do -- Turnipbo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Turnipboy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2452 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38151 ...

Macro to find last cell in row before blank
I want a macro that will find the last cell in row 16 before a blank. Then I want to copy all the cells in the last three columns with data in it from rows 16 - 200 and paste them in cells O16:Q200. For example: if the last cell in row 16 before a blank is cell Z16, then I want X16:Z200 copied and pasted special with values only into cells O16:Q200. ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** Try this Sub test() Dim rng As Range Set rng = Cells(16, Columns.Count).End(xlToL...

Extracting values from a column to a new column
I have my text (or number) values organized in a singel column looking like this A 1 Lemon 2 Apple 3 "" 4 Orange 5 "" 6 Pear What formula (not VBA) should I use to have it arranged like this in a new column? Note - the cells with a value should retain it's relative position in the column B 1 Lemon 2 Apple 3 Orange 4 Pear 5 "" 6 "" Furthermore, is it possible, if needed, to sort the values in ascending or descending order in the new column? Tia Rolfie Rolfie Sure Go to Tools>Options>Custom Lists ...

Is it possible to print 2 records per page in a mail merge
Hello all, I have a word template with some document properties, how do i instruct access only to print 2 records per page. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/200711/1 ...

How to find the number of rows in a named range?
Dear all, I have a named range called "rng" in a worksheet. How can I write a function to count the number of rows in "rng"? It seems that "rng".rows.count does not work. Best Regards, Andy msgbox worksheets("sheet99").range("rng").rows.count if that range is a single area. Andy Chan wrote: > > Dear all, > > I have a named range called "rng" in a worksheet. How can I write a > function to count the number of rows in "rng"? It seems that > "rng".rows.count does not work. > &...

Cell in row = 0 delete
The bebugger highlights the following row. If Cells(row_index, "D").Value = 0 Then This is the whole macro: My range is A3:D500 I want to delete the row if the value in D is 0 At the moment I get a "Tipe mismatch" error Please help???? Sheets("SALES SUMMARY").Select Sheets("SALES SUMMARY").Copy After:=Sheets(26) Range("A3:M571").Select Selection.Copy ActiveWindow.SmallScroll Down:=-15 Range("A3").Select Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:= _ False, Transpose:=False ...

Automatically deleting duplicate rows??
Hello, I have searched through the help but couldnt find out how you can delete duplicate rows in an Excel spreadsheet without having to manually go through and compare them. Is it possible to automate it?? Ta folks, Ritchie :o) Hi, Ritchie. See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm. "Ritchie Jones" wrote: > Hello, > > I have searched through the help but couldnt find out how > you can delete duplicate rows in an Excel spreadsheet > without having to manually go through and compare them. Is > it possible to automate it?? > > Ta folks, >...

Converting one column into two
I need to convert the following column: Name Doe, John Smith Smith, Jane Doe Anyone, John Doe I need it to look like this: Name First Name Doe John Smith Smith Jane Doe Anyone John Doe I know there is a way you can specify this action based on the comma, but I cannot remember for the life of me. I have a spreadsheet with 10K+ names on it and I would prefer to not spend an hour re-writing the query to do another information retreival. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Michele Hi Michele see your answers in Excel.worksheet.functions P.S...

delete rows #7
Hi all, I have some 500 rows. I want to delete all rows, except row 1, of which col G is zero or blank while col A shows anything else than a string of which the first character is S or P. In other words, I want to keep row 1 and all rows in which col A shows text starting with S or P and all rows not having zero or blank in col G. I need the fastest code possible, my do loop takes a lot of time. I thank you in advance for your assistance. Jack Sons The Netherlands Have you already turned off screen updates and auto calculation? Those are typically the real time hogs. In general...

Macro to highlight every 2nd row
Hi, I am trying to work out how to write a macro so that it takes my data range and highlights every second row in a certain colour. if my data is in the range A2:K31, then i want the macro to run so it selects A3:K3 and highlights that in yellow, then skip down two rows and highlights A5:K5 in yellow and so on until there is no more data in the cells (ie. Row 31). the code I have so far is this, but it only highlights every second cell in column A and does NOT extend out to column K... Sub NEWY() Range("A2:K2").Select Do Until ActiveCell.Value = Empty ...

Secondary protection of Hyper-V machines
We currently have a Primary DPM server which is protecting Hyper-V machines on a Windows Server 2008 Cluster. We also have a Secondary DPM server which is protecting this primary server. The problem I am having though, is that I can't create a new protection group on the Secondary DPM server to protect the Hyper-V machines that the Primary is protecting. Unless I've got something wrong with my procedure, this is a pretty big problem if you want to have snapshots of your Hyper-V environments in a second geographical location! When I create the protection group, I c...

possible R-NDR attack, not sure, please help
Thanks to all who help and hope to help others with same issue. Since yesterday a user on domain sent a mail out to 10 or so people. Ever since then everyone who was being sent the message including the sender is getting a message like this. Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Donald Permenter Sent: 10/21/2005 5:54 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: username@aol.com. on 10/21/2005 5:55 AM The format of the e-mail address is incorrect. Check the address, look up the recipient in the Address Book,...

Attachment protect
I want to send out a message with an attachment. I just want my recipient to read the attachment only; do not want them to copy any thing from it. What should I do? Please help. Thanks. Check out some Adobe Acrobat products? The you can create read-only documents with the attributes that you desire. www.adobe.com marx404 ...

Locating Invalid rows after restoring S2K db to S2K8 (DBCC error 2
After doing a restore to migrate a SQL 2000 database to SQL 2008 we ran the DBCC CHECKDB DATA_PURITY command which identified Invalid Rows in several tables. The data type of many of the identified columns was numeric(16,2), and we have been attempting to follow the directions for locating invalid rows with T-SQL as detailed in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/923247?p=1. So for a numeric(16,2), we used the following T-SQL statement: select * FROM OPPORTUNITY_FACT where RECURRING_REVENUE_AMOUNT > 99999999999999.99 -- for numeric(16,2) or RECURRING_REVENUE_AMO...

Inserting windows login name to a new column?
Hello All, I am working a workbook where i want to auto capture windows login name and time stamp in a new coulmn everytime anyone updates or make any chages in the the workbook. Ho wcan i do it ? i want something similar to trach changes in word. Thanking You all Regards Niraj Window login name MsgBox "UserName" & vbTab & Environ$("username") related information in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/userid.htm There are only 255 columns are you shore that is viable thing to do? What is the purpose? You realize everything someone opens Excel f...

I want to use equations to generate the chart. Is it possible?
I wanted to create equation withing chart and use it to develop charts. Currently we are using excel cells (rows and columns) to generate charts. I am looking for equations(say maximum 2 degree) to be inserted into the chart area and use it to generate chart. Say for example, I have equation y=x2 into the chart. I get options to insert values of x and chart window automatically calculate y value and draw the curve of (x,y) values on chart. If required I could edit the equation and change it. It is just opposite to 'Trendline' in nature. The easiest way is to keep using the ce...

How do I prevent duplicate numbers from being entered in a column.
I am trying to set a check register example and want to prevent the user from entering the same check number twice. Is this possible in Excel? Select the column, assuming D1 is the active cell, for example, do this: Use Data/Validation, select Custom from the first dropdown, enter this in the Formula: =Countif(D:D,D1)=1 then set the appropriate error alert in the error alert tab. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Clearwater Tim" <Clearwater Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1CF41EE0-9B4B-46F1-BAD1-712A6FDD855A@microsoft.com... > I am trying to set a check register ...

Possible to Apply More than Three Conditional Formats to a column?
Let's say one column has a rating system numbered from 1 to 6. One wants to format it so there is a different colored background for each number. I can do that up to three settings, with "Conditional Format". (For example--If the number in the cell is 1, make the background color yellow. Then click the "Add" button, and one can add another format--perhaps if the number in the cell is 2, make the background color blue. For me that only works up to three settings, whereas I would need 6 for the example above. After there are three such settings, the "Add" butt...

Password Protecting Validation Lists
It seems as though when you password protect a worksheet it still allows another user to change the intial selection selected when using Data Validation and allowing a specific entry as per a predefined List. Is there anyway to prevent changes to a Data Validation selection after protecting the worksheet??? Any thoughts would be helpful. Andrew Andrew If the cell with the Data Validation drop-down list is locked, users cannot change the selection when sheet is protected. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:17:16 -0400, "Andrew" <amwelt@bellsouth.net> wrote: &g...

In excel , How do I protect printing in my worksheet so I want an.
I want another only see my worksheet but not allow them to print it. Hi AFAIK this is not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mr. Excel wrote: > I want another only see my worksheet but not allow them to print it. ...

How do I change the column headings (from "A" to something else)?
You can't, you can check R1C1 reference style under tools>options>general but that will give you numbers and I doubt that is what you want. The only other way would be to hide them (tools>options>view) and create you own which of course will be regular cell headers -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "wink_3000ii" <wink_3000ii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6F6EB33-1DB7-4973-AA12-D440E4C2B6AF@microsoft.com... > ...

Row formatting based on cell content
I tried searching for this but no luck...what i have is a price lis that i copy and paste to my excel document. BLUETOOTH DBT120 D-LINK Bluetooth USB Adapter DCF650BT D-LINK Bluetooth PDA Compact Flash CABLE CABLE - SURGE FILTER SF001NP SURGE FILTER PC POWER CABLE CABLE - IDE HDD/CD ROM AUDCAB AUDIO CABLE - BLACK TO BLACK IDECAB IDE DATA CABLE (HDD/CD ROM) - 3 drop IDECAB133 IDE DATA CABLE -ULTRA ATA 133 (HDD) CABLE - NETWORK CABUTP005 0.5 METRE UTP RJ45 LEVEL 5 NETWORK CABLE CABUTP01 1 METRE UTP RJ45 LEVEL 5 NETWORK CABLE CABUTP02 2 METRE UTP RJ45 LEVEL 5 NETWORK CABLE This would...

cannot protect sheet with auto filter
Hi, heres what I have xp home xp office suite. I am using a sheet for grocery list database with auto filter. the headers at the top are like "quantity", "Item", "catagory". Normally I can select cells that I want to enter data and unlock them. then protect the sheet. but...with an auto filter If I select the headers mentioned above and lock them, then select all other cells and unlock them. the auto filter pull down list's dont pull down cause the headers are locked. Im explaining this the best I can but I may be leaving something out. Anyone? Greg ...