Unable to read file message

When I try to open a (my most important) excel file, I am getting the
message 'Unable to read file'.

I have tried saving it to disk and opening it on Win98 (I have xp
thinking
maybe it was something to do with the OS (I read something like that
somewhere on the 'net).

Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone, and with successfu
resolution?

Thank you in advance....

Sa

Hi
see your other post

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> When I try to open a (my most important) excel file, I am getting the
> message 'Unable to read file'.
>
> I have tried saving it to disk and opening it on Win98 (I have xp)
> thinking
> maybe it was something to do with the OS (I read something like that
> somewhere on the 'net).
>
> Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone, and with successful
> resolution?
>
> Thank you in advance....
>
> Sam
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)

Internet incoming message don't get to some recipients
Hi I'm running exchange 5.5 sp4, I'd like to get some help to solve this situation: Some recipients are able to recieve Internet incoming message and others are not able, I mean the same message. so what I do is to send a test message (not attachment included) I set many recipients in the To Field in Outlook and some of these recipients are able to get the test message and others don't. "Not rules are implemented in the Outlook Clients" Thank You for your help. On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:29:14 -0400, "Javier" <jbisono@tricom.com.do> wrote: > >Hi &...

msnpst files
All: Does anyone have any tips on opening an MSN local folder -- .msnpst -- with Outlook? I can open regular .pst files but Outlook won't recognize the .msnpst files that MSN mail creates. Thanks, John you need to add an account using the msn connector then try closing outlook and replacing the new pst it creates with the old one by renaming the pst's. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: htt...

Missing Message Text

How to increase and decrease indent levels while composing an Entourage message

bmp files in Excel Hyperlinks open with wrong program
I have a list of tools in Excel, and I have used Excel's hyperlinking feature to allow displaying a picture of the tool by clicking the link. They always open with Paint, regardless of what I do in the "Folder Options >> File Types" box. I have customized the .BMP file type by adding "Edit with Paint" and "Edit with PhotoEditor" entries to the default settings. Does Excel look for the entry actually labeled "Open" or does it just grab the first entry from the list? (in this case, "Edit with Paint" is first, because they are ...

Excel 2007 convert into tab delimeter text file with extra tab spa
Hi , Sub: I have excel 2007 trying to save as tab delimeted text file having an issue. I have saved my excel 2007 as separate Tab delimited Text files. I see extra tabs stored in the tab delimited text files. But when I do the same with excel 2003 it works fine there is not extra tabs stored in my tab delimited text file. My excel 2007 conveted to tab delimited text file looks like as shown below(Extra two tabs at the end of the each record). Data0<Tab>data1<Tab><Tab> Data2<Tab>data3<Tab><Tab> Appreciate your help in advance. Rega...

Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error
Hi there, One of my corporate users is experiencing an odd issue producing an error message when attempting to save a Word 2007 document. 1. User has the pre-existing (not new) document open and clicks the save button. 2. In what seems to be a random occurrence, the document will bring up a "Save As" dialog box asking him where to save, as if Word forgot where the document is already saved! Odd thing is, it shows the proper location where the file already exists. 3. User will choose the same location and replace the file. Sometimes it will overwrite and save prope...

Temporary Excel files.
Hi, does anyone know where Excel stores its temp files to managing multiple opened copies of the same workbook? Word stores its lock files in same directory of the opened document, but Excel? Thanks in advance for the answers. Alex On a single user (non-networked pc), excel will put a few files in your windows temp folder. But I think it does more than just that. (Just guessing!) When the workbook is on a network, excel/windows is smart enough to be able to tell that second person the the file is in use. If the only indicator were on the first user's temp file, then the seco...

Outlook 2000, large pst file slow to open or corrupt
Hi, this is a very frustratring problem I hope someone canhelp us with. I've established that the outlook.pst file is either too large of corrupt. I've run scanpst which found no problem, the pst file is 2gb! should this cause a problem? I can't reduce the size of the file, although is will open, it won't let me delete of move anything or even archive - reporting that it can;t access the pst file although I can open it and browse contacts and messages (it's very slow doing this though) How can I reduce the size of this file in another way? See if this info helps: http:...

Outlook 2002 needs to close error message
I am a new user and am using in combination with ACT!. Outlook 2002 does two things consistently which slows down my work: 1. 2-3 times an hour I receive the message "Outlook 2002 needs to close" this often happens in the middle of writing an email or saving contacts to ACT! 2. Each time I close out of Outlook it sends an error saying that it needs to restart the session, do I want to send a report? (I've sent dozens.) I end up waiting for the restart and then closing which it does promptly. How do I eliminate these problems, especially #1? Thank you ...

read in Vlookup an argument that has quotations(")
Hi to every body! Im loking in a vertical look for a buff "N" the problem is that you can not write a quotation marks(") in an argument simply like that, con in the example below what the program is interpreting the quotation after buff as the end of the string and is specting next a coma instead of an N. So the cuestion is I have to look in a column for a word that contents quoutations what do i have to write to look for this argument BUFF "N" =VLOOKUP(" buff "N" ",'[Production Report.xls]1'!$A$1:$J$85,8,FALSE) Thanlks in advance!!...

Unread messages don't exist
My Outlook 2003 Unread Messages folder states that I have 11 unread messages in my inbox. I select the Inbox folder from the Unread Messages folder and right click and choose Mark Messages as Read. I'm then presented withe the following info: Cannot mark the items read or unread. The most likely reasons are: You don't have permissions to modify the items etc etc If I hi-light one of the messages and choose delete, I get the following: The item could not be deleted. It was either moved or already deleted, or access was denied. I cannot read the message either. I have run scanpst on...

can not forward or reply to messages
I was able to send, forward and reply to messages up til today. For some reason I can not forward or reply to messages today. They are greyed out. I am using Microsoft outlook 2007. Any idea how to fix this? And you cannot create new messages either? Probably the same applies to creating new documents in any of the other Office applications too. In that case it means that you haven't activated your copy of Office yet. You can do so in Outlook via Help-> Activate Product... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto...

Bypassing message when running Update Qury
When I run an Update query I receive a message warning me that I am about to modify data. I click Yes and receive a second message warning that I am about to Update rows. Is it possible to suppress the messages so they do not appear when I run the query? thanks for any help. JoeP See: Action queries: suppressing dialogs, while knowing results at: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-60.html for a couple of ways to handle this. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mv...

Message with MFC in custom class #2
Hi How can I catch messages in an other class than the view? I have a MFC-SDI-Application which draws with OpenGL. I'd like to have a class, which handels the keyboard input, and another which handels the OpenGL drawing. Can i derive the new class from CCmdTarget? Does that work, and how would an example look like? Thank you John John wrote: > Hi > > How can I catch messages in an other class than the view? I have a > MFC-SDI-Application which draws with OpenGL. > I'd like to have a class, which handels the keyboard input, and another > which handels the OpenGL...

Outlook 2007 long delay when attaching a file
Hi group, I have a long delay (about a minute) when attaching a file. Outlook freezes for a minute before Browse for a file dialog appears. Configuration: Windows 7 x64 BitLocker is enabled Domain joined computer Outlook 2007 SP2 Outlook uses Exchange Server 2007 Any ideas? BR, Mindaugas Do you have mapped drives? That will add a delay. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.ne...

Saving files as JPG
Often when I save a logo and/or a flyer in publisher and then save it as a jpg for bi print jobs there is a LINE along the side of the piece ... any ideas of how to get rid of it or WHAT might cause it? This happens once in a while, never have figured out why. You can open the image in Paint; erase the line. Or crop it out when you use the image in Publisher. Do you get the line if you save the picture as a .png or .tif? -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Greetings&Salutations" <Greetings&Salutations@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Merge file pairs
I have several hundreds of pairs of files (file1 in one subfolder i paired to file1 in second subfolder) where I need to open the pair copy arange (columns a to e) from one file to the other, then save an close the files. Then loop on to the next pair in the list. Has anyon done this? Can you point me to examples? I've looked at several we sites (debruin, for ex.) but cannot find exactly what I need. Al suggestions welcome -- rroac ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rroach's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2...

Can't find the file in Excel unless I open it from Excel
Can't find the file in Excel unless I open it from Excel -------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a stange problem that has just started. I am running Windows XP and Office XP. If I click on an Excel file in my folders in explorer, it will open Excel and an error message comes up telling me it can't find the file and to check the path and folder. Once I click out of the message the file sometimes is already open. I have no problems if I open Excel first then open a file - it is driving me crazy, please help. Tr...

Huge "empty" excel 97 file !!
I still have files of up to 4MB, after deleting the contents of a 16MB excel 97 file then saving !!! Details:- (1)If I select the whole worksheet (by clicking on the blank cell in the top left corner of the worksheet) (2)then I click on EDIT and then on DELETE. (3)repeat 1&2 for any other sheets (4)Then click on FILE, then SAVE AS a new name Windows explorer shows that the new file can be up to 4MB. This is very frustrating if I am trying to reduce the size a file so that it fits onto a floppy disc. This problem occurs with a number of my excel files. How can I get rid of this invis...

Password to open file
How do you make file only open after you enter a password? dcknie, file save as, tools, general options enter password to open, this is for excel 2003 its a little different in other versions but that should get you there -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "dcknie" <dcknie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D21B2C37-1877-4357-A756-35470C31EDC7@microsoft.com... > How do you make file only...

file
I have an excel file that an employee tried to save and somehow has an error message on it that it will not save because locked by another station. I have done everything from trying to find out who last used it to deleting it and starting over and nothing works. PLEASE HELP amy Maybe Debra Dalgleish has the answer: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen amy wrote: > > I have an excel file that an employee tried to save and > somehow has an error message on it that it will not save > because locked by a...

Extremely slow file
I've been doing some ad-hoc analysis at work today and as a quick fix (and because I don't have the Access query skills) I ended up with 2 sheets: Sheet 1 - Contains 21,000 rows of data, 10 columns with the first column being a concatenation of 4 cells from each row Sheets 2 - Contains 10,000 rows with 7 VLOOKUPs in each row, but each vlookup is like the following: =VLOOKUP(A1&$B$1&$C$1&D1,data_range,9,false) Where the data_range is all 21,000 rows x 10 columnsrange in sheet2 Anyway, the file is simply too unwieldy to use. It takes an age to calculate the cells, apply ...

xls file won't open
I have an Excel file which I'm no longer able to open as the system comes back with a message saying 'Not enough memory' The file size is 887kb, I think it was created in Excel 2000 with Win98, but may have been on a machine running XP Home when the problem occurred. I am able to open much larger files without problems, I have also tried opening it on several other machines which have XP Home and Pro, obviously these have newer versions of Excel. Has anyone got any ideas how I can recover my information please? Any help will be appreciated, and thanks in advance for any help yo...

Import and Export files
I currently have Outlook 2002. I brought a new computer and installed the new edition of MS office and use outlook. I exporting a file from the new version, and want to import to my current work outlook 2002. Is there any way to do this, and Outlook 2002 will not reconize the newer version. Any Ideas or help, Thanks New version? which version? David "Gene" <gbarbato@eaglecondev.com> wrote in message news:40c301c3e421$38717840$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I currently have Outlook 2002. > > I brought a new computer and installed the new edition > of MS office and u...