Unable to open Excel file #4

Error message: File cannot be accessed. The file may be
read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only
location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not
be responding.
The file was not saved as read-only and the file is on a
diskette.

Sounds like a bad disk.  Copy the disk to the hard drive somewhere an
try to open there.

--
kkkni
kkknie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=754

Vic

Copy the file to hard drive first then try to open.

Not a good idea to save to or open from a floopy directly.  Can lead to
corruption.

When Excel opens a file, it alos creates a *.tmp file at the same time.  If
your floppy does not have room for the *.tmp file you can/will get corruption.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:40:47 -0700, "Vic Latvis" <vic.latvis@yale.edu> wrote:

>Error message: File cannot be accessed. The file may be
>read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only
>location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not
>be responding.
>The file was not saved as read-only and the file is on a
>diskette.

0
Gord
9/30/2004 9:58:27 PM
I don't think it actually creates a .tmp file in the same folder when opening.
But when you save a file, it does create a temporary file (8 character name--no
extension) and xl will need breathing space for that.

And there can be a few temporary files created in the windows temp folder.

(Floopy???)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Gord

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:33:58 -0500, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote:

>I don't think it actually creates a .tmp file in the same folder when opening.
>But when you save a file, it does create a temporary file (8 character name--no
>extension) and xl will need breathing space for that.
>
>And there can be a few temporary files created in the windows temp folder.
>
>(Floopy???)
>
>Gord Dibben wrote:
>>
>> Vic
>>
>> Copy the file to hard drive first then try to open.
>>
>> Not a good idea to save to or open from a floopy directly.  Can lead to
>> corruption.
>>
>> When Excel opens a file, it alos creates a *.tmp file at the same time.  If
>> your floppy does not have room for the *.tmp file you can/will get corruption.
>>
>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:40:47 -0700, "Vic Latvis" <vic.latvis@yale.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >Error message: File cannot be accessed. The file may be
>> >read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only
>> >location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not
>> >be responding.
>> >The file was not saved as read-only and the file is on a
>> >diskette.

0
Gord
9/30/2004 11:05:20 PM
You're lucky to have Dave helping you. He's a genius! <g>

(BTW, you should have told him that "floopy" is the Canadian spelling.)

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
9/30/2004 11:20:15 PM
Thanks, Deb.

With you, I know that you mean it (ahem).

And if any of you doubters want to see:

Tools|options|Edit Tab|Uncheck Fixed Decimal Places.

Take that!

Debra Dalgleish wrote:

> You're lucky to have Dave helping you. He's a genius! <g>
>
> (BTW, you should have told him that "floopy" is the Canadian spelling.)
>
> Gord Dibben wrote:
> > Hello.  Pleased to meet you.  Have you seen my Easter Eggs?  I think I hid
> > them somewhere around here near my floopy.
> >
> > Gord
> >
> > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:33:58 -0500, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I don't think it actually creates a .tmp file in the same folder when opening.
> >>But when you save a file, it does create a temporary file (8 character name--no
> >>extension) and xl will need breathing space for that.
> >>
> >>And there can be a few temporary files created in the windows temp folder.
> >>
> >>(Floopy???)

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

Excel 2007

SMTP Connectors #4
Hi, I have a problem with two Front-End servers in NLB. I have two connectors with address space *, one connector with cost 10 the other with cost 20 for connector availability purposes. Inbound mails are targeted to FrontEnd1, outbound mails should go from FrontEnd2 (e.g. MX for FrontEnd1 cost is 10; MX cost for FrontEnd2 is 20) Connectors: FrontEnd1 - Address space * - cost 10 - bridgehead srv = FrontEnd1; FrontEnd2 - Address space * - cost 20 - bridgehead srv = FrontEnd2 The problem: If both servers are up and running and somehow some mail ends in queue on FrontEnd2 it correctly crea...

MS Money 95 data files

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Unable to llaunch FRx
Something on our server hosed FRx between yesterday and today. When users try to launch FRx Report designer from the Start menu, the FRx splash screen flashes for a second then disappears. There is no error message and no entry in the SQL Error logs or the NT event logs. I can open Report Launcher, but only the FW (Fabricam) and FWC (Fabricam Canada) reports show up. This was working fine yesterday. I reran the FRx index scripts but that did not resolve it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. -- Jim Maybe the program is corrupted...perhaps a reinstall. But bac...

Excel not Access

help with simple maths in excel

Where is the workspace file stored?

cant start outlook pst file to large