Trouble accessing this NG

My usual contact with this NG is via msnews.microsoft.com
Today, I cannot make "contact" and have resorted to my ISP's News Server.
Any one know what would cause this?
Rob

0
robnobel11 (12)

Rob

No idea.

msnews.microsoft.com working fine for myself.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:40:39 GMT, "Rob Nobel"
<robnobel1@bigpondNOGOOBS.comNOGOOBS> wrote:

>My usual contact with this NG is via msnews.microsoft.com
>Today, I cannot make "contact" and have resorted to my ISP's News Server.
>Any one know what would cause this?
>Rob

0
Gord
1/22/2004 1:15:22 AM
Yes Gord, I thought someone might say that.
When I try to use the microsoft site, it says it connects but nothing at all
is downloaded, Even if I try to download the next 300 headers. Yet this news
server works fine??
In fact, when I first logged on, 1 header was downloaded but now no more and
says "0 messages, 0 unread" in the task bar every time I connect.  More?????
(This BTW, is only for the Misc. NG as I tried another with Microsoft that
works fine.)
Rob

> Rob
>
> No idea.
>
> msnews.microsoft.com working fine for myself.
>
> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:40:39 GMT, "Rob Nobel"
> <robnobel1@bigpondNOGOOBS.comNOGOOBS> wrote:
>
> >My usual contact with this NG is via msnews.microsoft.com
> >Today, I cannot make "contact" and have resorted to my ISP's News Server.
> >Any one know what would cause this?
> >Rob

0
robnobel11 (12)
1/22/2004 1:38:21 AM
The headers looked funny to me, too (I use Netscape 4.78(?) to read posts.)

Since you have Outlook Express installed, try clicking on these links (or copy
and paste into MSIE).

(You can always connect to more later)

Here are some links that explain it better:

Chip Pearson has some notes written by Leonard Meads at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DirectConnect.htm

David McRitchie's notes at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6nws01.htm

Tushar Mehta's notes at:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tutorials/oe_ng/index.htm

And if you're looking for old posts:

Or you can use google (maybe a few hours behind) to search for stuff you've
posted (and find the replies, too)

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100

Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

======
In Netscape, I deleted the .snm file and let the headers get rebuilt.

In OE, there's an option to sync messages.  You may want to try that.  If that
doesn't work, maybe just delete the newsgroup and add it back.

(But you'll do that anyway when you connect directly to the ms servers!)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
1/22/2004 3:11:21 AM
Glug!
Tried all that without success. As I said, I have no trouble accessing any
news group via msnews.microsoft.com except the Misc group (my lifeline!!)
which is a mystery to me as I can get to this group via my ISP's News
Server. I appreciate the fact that I can access other groups that will help
me but it's more a matter of WHY!!
I deleted msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.excel.misc and then clicked
on the link you provided and it subscribed OK but shows all messages as 0
Oh well, maybe one day it will resolve itself.
Rob

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> The headers looked funny to me, too (I use Netscape 4.78(?) to read
posts.)

> Since you have Outlook Express installed, try clicking on these links (or
copy
> and paste into MSIE).

> (You can always connect to more later)
>
> Here are some links that explain it better:
>
> Chip Pearson has some notes written by Leonard Meads at:
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DirectConnect.htm
>
> David McRitchie's notes at:
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6.htm
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6nws01.htm
>
> Tushar Mehta's notes at:
> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tutorials/oe_ng/index.htm
>
> And if you're looking for old posts:
>
> Or you can use google (maybe a few hours behind) to search for stuff
you've
> posted (and find the replies, too)
>
> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100
>
> Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like:
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm
>
> ======
> In Netscape, I deleted the .snm file and let the headers get rebuilt.
>
> In OE, there's an option to sync messages.  You may want to try that.  If
that
> doesn't work, maybe just delete the newsgroup and add it back.
>
> (But you'll do that anyway when you connect directly to the ms servers!)
>
> Rob Nobel wrote:
> >
> > Yes Gord, I thought someone might say that.
> > When I try to use the microsoft site, it says it connects but nothing at
all
> > is downloaded, Even if I try to download the next 300 headers. Yet this
news
> > server works fine??
> > In fact, when I first logged on, 1 header was downloaded but now no more
and
> > says "0 messages, 0 unread" in the task bar every time I connect.
More?????
> > (This BTW, is only for the Misc. NG as I tried another with Microsoft
that
> > works fine.)
> > Rob
> >
> > "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
> > > Rob
> > >
> > > No idea.
> > >
> > > msnews.microsoft.com working fine for myself.
> > >
> > > Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Server.

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
robnobel11 (12)
1/22/2004 11:34:43 PM
I don't think it's you.  I retrieved new messages this afternoon.  All of them
were marked read.

I sorted by date and marked the newest 299 messages as unread.

But it doesn't look like you're connecting directly to the MS Newsservers
(usually a good idea).

I look at your headers and see this:

I look at Gord's headers (and Gord connects directly to the MS Servers), I see
this:

(Both of the bounces are at MS.  Each exclamation point in your path shows a
transfer to different systems.  That's one of the reasons (when the MSServers
are ok), it's better to connect directly.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Do you still see the old messages with  "Show All"

Before using RESET  (under properties)you might try the following.
Right click on the newsgroup and try  "Catch up"

If that doesn't work  take your  OE6  offline,  then compress your
OE files.     File,  Folder,  Compact All Folders
It is important that you be offline in OE when you do this or risk losing
OE databases.      (file, workoffline)

if that doesn't work, rather than RESET  of this newsgroup,
I would set up an account connecting directly
to the Microsoft Server.  As was pointed out you are not connected
directly  look at your  Path in your headers  (Ctrl+F3)  from one of
your posts.
   How to connect directly using Outlook Express   (#OE_direct)
     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6nws01.htm#oe_direct

--
---
HTH,

"Rob Nobel" <robnobel1@bigpondNOGOOBS.comNOGOOBS> wrote in message news:n6ZPb.24009$Wa.3503@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> [...]
> >
> > (But you'll do that anyway when you connect directly to the ms servers!)
> >
> > Rob Nobel wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes Gord, I thought someone might say that.
> > > When I try to use the microsoft site, it says it connects but nothing at
> all
> > > is downloaded, Even if I try to download the next 300 headers. Yet this
> news
> > > server works fine??
> > > In fact, when I first logged on, 1 header was downloaded but now no more
> and
> > > says "0 messages, 0 unread" in the task bar every time I connect.
> More?????
> > > (This BTW, is only for the Misc. NG as I tried another with Microsoft
> that
> > > works fine.)
> > > Rob
> > >
> > > "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message

0
dmcritchie (2586)
1/23/2004 12:43:13 AM
David, I deleted the whole thing and set it up as per your instructions on
the web page but it appears the huge path is still there.  How do I connect
direct?
Rob

"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > >
> > > Tushar Mehta's notes at:
> > > http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tutorials/oe_ng/index.htm
> > >
> > > And if you're looking for old posts:
> > >
> > > Or you can use google (maybe a few hours behind) to search for stuff
> > you've
> > > posted (and find the replies, too)
> > >
> > > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
> > > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100
> > >
> > > Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like:
> > > http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm
> > >
> > > ======
> > > In Netscape, I deleted the .snm file and let the headers get rebuilt.
> > >
> > > In OE, there's an option to sync messages.  You may want to try that.
If
> > that
> > > doesn't work, maybe just delete the newsgroup and add it back.
> > >
> > > (But you'll do that anyway when you connect directly to the ms

Appears I've got it licked!
Rob

"rob nobel" <robnobel1@NOGOOBSbigpond.com.auNOGOOBS> wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > "Rob Nobel" <robnobel1@bigpondNOGOOBS.comNOGOOBS> wrote in message
> > > Glug!
> > > Tried all that without success. As I said, I have no trouble accessing
> any
> > > news group via msnews.microsoft.com except the Misc group (my
> lifeline!!)
> > > which is a mystery to me as I can get to this group via my ISP's News
> > > Server. I appreciate the fact that I can access other groups that will
> help
> > > me but it's more a matter of WHY!!
> > > I deleted msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.excel.misc and then
> clicked
> > > on the link you provided and it subscribed OK but shows all messages
as
> 0
> > > Oh well, maybe one day it will resolve itself.

accessing member function of a class fm other class
Hi all, I am very badly struct up at one silly problem. class CMfc_clientDlg : public CDialog { // some editbox member variables defined here public:Cstring m_v1; // m_v1,m_v2 so on..............for editbox } // class A is some class i have put that class in CMfc_clientDlg.cpp class A:class B { public : void onnewvalues(); } void A::onnewvalues() { // i want access the edit box present in dialogbox here //here i tried to set event here but in thread fn i was not able to access edit box or updatedata(false); // i should not use any timer is one condition //how do i? } Please g...

Accessing emails through Web Outlook
I am attempting to connect to our exchange server via Web outlook and I am having difficulty. I enter the address and get a login window where I enter my username and password and domain and I get a response telling me the page is not available. I have confirmed with other colleagues and they are able to access their email through the web using IE 6.0.2800.1106 (The same version as mine) however I cannot. I am convinced that it is a setting on my IE however I don't know which one. Does it work from you inside the network? Have you talked to your Exchange administrator? anonym...

Outlook Web Access Administration
Hello and please help I have installed Outlook Web Access Administration on a XP computer. Microsoft say: "It is recommended that you install the OWA Admin tool on a separate workstation other than your Exchange server" OKey how do a connect to the exchange server? I start OWA Admin, than it looks at my computer where exchange isnt installed, where do i change, so it looks at my exchange server. I have tested to change the URL but it dosent work What is it that Im doing wrong? ...

CRM Web AcCess
I have finished loading the CRM 1.2 on my Small Buz Server 2003. My default address in "companyweb" which can access CRM on the server, but when I try to access through a user computer, the following happens: 1. Open IE 2. Type "companyweb" 3. A request for user ID & pass is created 4. After logging in, upon hitting the ENTER button, my brouser closes -- The End. I have also trying to install CRM through Outlook 2003 and I have been unable to locate the CRM web address. Any suggestions? Did you create a new website in IIS? Have you created a new alias to...

pst access by two computers simultaneously
Is this possible? Oultook 2002 XP Pro No. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Solo" <kozolinsREMOVETHIS@golden.net> wrote in message news:TrydnVl1SLBMfRDenZ2dnUVZ_s2dnZ2d@golden.net... > Is this possible? > > Oultook 2002 > XP Pro > > > ...

Paradox 9 to Access 2002?
We have some enormous Paradox applications (tables AND complied apps) that need to be converted to Access. I've been told that the TABLES will easily convert, but that there is NO WAY to import/convert the applications/screens. Is that true? If not, how do I do that (or what product do I need to use) in order to make that happen? Thanks! "dennis" <dennis.jx.olson@NOSPAMstate.mn.us> wrote: >We have some enormous Paradox applications (tables AND >complied apps) that need to be converted to Access. I've >been told that the TABLES will easily convert, but that &...

Outlook2003: Unable to access personal folder
Hi, I've runing an application (Desklook) that access my Outlook2003 personal folder. When I quit Desklook while Outlook2003 is runing and attempt to open any Outlook2003 folder I get this Error: Unable to open folder. Another application was terminated unexpected, while using your personal folder '...' . To prevent possible corruption, this folder is not accessible until all applications are terminated that access your personal folder." I never get this error while using Outlook 2000 Any ideas how to troubleshoot? Many Thanks Bodo ...

Converting Access 2000 database to Access 2007
Hello, I converted Access2000 database to Access2007. And it does not work properly at all. There are windows XP and, Ms office2007 loaded on my computer. The directory with Database is Trusted. Activated is option "Show message bar in all applications where content has been blocked". Activated is option “Enable all macros” Activated is Show all actions in macro Design. First I cannot get rid of yellow triangles (with exclamation) in the beginning of macro rows for some actions like: Echo, SetValue, Close…… SetValue row (with yellow triangle) is not executed. The ...

Connecting to CRM through MS Access 2003
Hello: In the past I've been able to connect to and update CRM data through MS Access 2003. We recently had to move CRM to another server. This seemed to have been done successfully, but when I tried to use MS Access for a quick report, I was not able to reconnect to the same tables. All I have now are the dbo.Filtered tables which apparently will not allow updates. Does anyone have any suggestion on what to change so that I can alter data through MS Access again? I do not recommend doing something like this. Directly updating the tables risks corrupting the security model of the...

Outlook web access #36
Is there any way that I can upload Outlook express onto a web server for web access? Thanks, Stuart -- Stuart Graham London, United Kingdom stuart@grahamonline.co.uk Stuart Graham <stuartg@dslhome.co.uk> wrote: > Is there any way that I can upload Outlook express onto a web server > for web access? Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. (Hint: No, unless you write the program to read the DBX files.) -- Brian Tillman ...

Access 2007 button code
First post on here. i found a similar post to this but could not get it to work for me. im not very experienced with access. The problem I have a continuous form with limited data and I would like to have a button which then opens up a selected record in another form I've placed the button via the wizard and, while it opens the form, it doesn't open to the selected record. It it possible to have a button on a continous form which would then open to a bookmarked record on another form? The wizard put this code, is it possible to modify this? Private Sub Command48_Click() On Error ...

Subform DataEntry property (Access 2007)
Greetings, I have a subform and based on a combo box I want to change the data entry property. Ive had a google to look for the property name, however the code below doesnt work as it cant find the data entry property. Me.qryStudentsResultsDeliverysubform1.DataEntry = False How do I access it? Thanks Rob Rob, Depends on where the combobox resides... is it on the mainform or on the subform. If it's on the mainform you should reference that form as well. If its on the subform which should be data-entry you could just set me.form.dataentry=false as you did. I'm assuming it&...

Temporary Access during a disaster recovery
We had a hardware failure with our Exchange 2000 server which corrupted log files although we had RAID 5 setup. While on the phone with Microsoft Exchange specialist from Microsoft he mentioned something about connecting users to an empty mailbox store so they can at least start working and be able to send and receive messages till we recover from the backup tape. We finally just restored from the backup and we never did the extra mailbox store and I forgot to ask him about this solution. Does anyone know about this solution. That would be great if we can get them to start working ...

Accessing This Group without a NewsReader..?
Hi, My friend has finally got on the net using one of those usb-wireless modems. The company he uses doesnt have a server, so he cant even use Outlook Express. (I tried setting it up for him supplying the same details that I use;(not My actual details) he is not too computer literate.) What can he do to get access to this and other groups on the microsoft server? Is there a browser way-in? (he has FireFox) Xp home, SP2, fully patched. Thanks From: "achoo" <sneezy@cold.com> | Hi, | My friend has finally got on the net using one of those usb-wireless modem...

Accessing SQL Reporting Serivces Reports
The Business Intelligence wizard was run to deploy the reports and w/i Dynamics the reporting server paths were setup. We can access the reports directly through the browser, but the Dynamics documentation says that should also be available in Dynamics through Custom Reports. However, we cannot find them under Reports>>Customized. Are we looking in the right location or any thoughts on what we are missing? Did you go to the Reporting Tools Setup window and enter the paths for Reporting Server and Manager? -- Charles Allen, MVP "Hutch" wrote: > ...

Access 2007 and MDE file Question
I have a Access 2003 MDE file that links to an Access 2003 MDB file. I understood that Access 2007 is not able to work with an MDE file. This is according to Microsoft KB article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178973.aspx However, unbenknownst to me, one of my customers somehow installed Access 2007 on a machine and ran the MDE file with it. I saw it with my own eyes! The application had been working fine for years, but now all the sudden they claim it is "losing" data. First, how come it can even run the MDE file? Second, could the Fact that i...

Can't access Hotmail--Why?
I have problem. First let me say that because of a virus, I had to use LSPFix, Bazooka, NewNet, HijackThis, SpyBot, Spywareblaster, Stinger, CWShredder, and Ad-Aware SE Personal to rid my system of an unwanted virus. Now I'm having problems with control issues, I can't control what my IE Browser does, e.g. something is correcting my homepage, if I change it, it's automatically changed back to MSN; some pages, e.g. Excite.com, because it's a known Adware and Spyware danger, I can't even access, and I keep getting message that send me to Tools, Internet Options, ...

Pivottable linked to Access problems
Hi, I have a large Access database (300,000 rows) linked to an Excel pivottable. As the database has grown, the linking/refreshing performance has decreased and lately it's been crashing. I've worked around it by creating smaller queries off the main table and linking them to the pivot tables. My question is if anyone knows if MS Office 2003 or XP works better, cause I'm using MS Office 2000. If so, I'll want to upgrade! Why not use a crosstab query in Access and link Excel to that? P "Jeff Beamer" <jbeamer@equitable.ca> wrote in message news:0e1...

Access-Forms-VB links
After years in software development/database programming mostly on Unix/Oracle I'm tasked to change some Access forms to use redesigned tables. I'm having trouble with the relationship between forms and VB. For example I'm looking at some VB code that frequently references the Me class which I assume to be the default reference to the current (form) class (like this in C++), but I can't see how/where the class is actually defined. Can someone please provide some links that provide concise explanations of the relationship between Access and VB. My googling has only turned up pag...

Property Sheet problem
I sure hope someone else has seen this, because I'm about to go crazy! I am unable to open Property Sheets anywhere in any of my databases...even a brand new one. Right-click > Properties brings up nothing. Clicking the Property Sheets button in Tools brings up nothing. The button appears to depress upon mouse-click, but doesn't stay pressed (so I don't believe it even has focus). Now, here's the twist....the very same database(s) on a different box allows me to open the Property Sheets. I've tried the solution for the off screen property sheet - Alt +Spacebar then...

Simple Access Query/Form Question
Hello all, I know this may be a stupid question but i'm a newbie to Access. Here the background on what I'm designing. I'm creating a database to track special orders for our store customers. Employees enter information about the order including customers name, contact information, item to be ordered and etc. The main form has multiple check box to note if the customer has paid, the order has been placed, arrived, when the customer was notified and when the customer picks up the item. I'm looking to create a query that checks the field to see if a specific check box is checke...

Accessing the "Due by" field in BCM
How is the "due by" field of the follow up flag accessed for viewing, reporting and other purposes in Business Contact Manager? It always shows a value of "none" when I view it even though it is set? Are ther multiple fields with the same name? Regards, Tony ...

Can I Import a pdf file into Excel or Access
I would like to be able to store PDF files in either Excel or Access. Can this be done. Hi not really. Normally a PDF document is menat to be the last stage of a document creation process. There're some conversion tools available (search Google for them) but most would require some manual work. Better to ask the author for the original file -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Operator" <Operator@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:097248C1-E9BD-4D5B-8BEF-331E7303B80E@microsoft.com... > I would like to be able to store PDF files in either E...

Is the value of Identity.Name accessable at client side?
I wonder if the value of Identity.Name is visible (any way) at the client side? So, it is safe to use the userID as cookie name? FormsAuthenticationTicket ticket = new FormsAuthenticationTicket(1, user.Id.ToString(), DateTime.Now, DateTime.Now.AddMinutes(30), false, "", FormsAuthentication.FormsCookiePath); System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Response.Cookies.Add(new HttpCookie(FormsAuthentication.FormsCookieName, FormsAuthentication.Encrypt(ticket))); Thanks! On Feb 26, 12:28=A0pm, "Arjen" <boah...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I wonder if the value of...

Access 2003
I have formatted my field to currency and it always rounds up to the nearest dollar but i need to include cents. i've tried changing the amount of decimal places but nothing seems to work. thanks in advance! Marie, Make sure that your field is defined as Numeric - Single or Double. If it's Byte, Integer, or Long Integer, it will not accept decimal values. -- hth Al Campagna . Candia Computer Consulting . Candia, NH USA Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions "Find a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life." "mariee...