Transfer Cell Formatting for linked cells

How do you get the cell formatting (color) to transfer to a linked cell?

Example:   I have added color (red) to a particular cell (A1) in Sheet1.  I
have linked cell (B2) in Sheet 2 to the red colored cell (A1) in Sheet1 (i.e.
=+Sheet1!A1).  The cell value (A1) on Sheet1 transfers to the cell (B2) in
Sheet2, however the color (red) does not transfer to cell (B2) in Sheet2.  I
want the cell value and the color (red) to transfer from cell (A1) Sheet1 to
the cell (B2) in Sheet2.  Is there a way to get the cell formatting/color to
transfer along with the cell values from one linked cell to another?  Thanks
for any help.  Scott
0
scott7693 (519)

Hi!

The short answer is no!

A formula (which is what a "link" is) can only return a value, not
formatting.

>=+Sheet1!A1

You don't need the "+" sign. It's superfluous.

You might be able to use conditional formatting to color the cell if there's
some logic that determines why the cells need to colored.

Biff

"Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you get the cell formatting (color) to transfer to a linked cell?
>
> Example:   I have added color (red) to a particular cell (A1) in Sheet1.
> have linked cell (B2) in Sheet 2 to the red colored cell (A1) in Sheet1
> (i.e.
> =+Sheet1!A1).  The cell value (A1) on Sheet1 transfers to the cell (B2) in
> Sheet2, however the color (red) does not transfer to cell (B2) in Sheet2.
> want the cell value and the color (red) to transfer from cell (A1) Sheet1
> the cell (B2) in Sheet2.  Is there a way to get the cell formatting/color
> transfer along with the cell values from one linked cell to another?
> Thanks
> for any help.  Scott

0
biffinpitt (3172)
11/23/2005 10:50:57 PM
Biff:  Thanks.  I will try conditional formatting and see if I can get
acceptable results.    Scott

"Biff" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The short answer is no!
>
> A formula (which is what a "link" is) can only return a value, not
> formatting.
>
> >=+Sheet1!A1
>
> You don't need the "+" sign. It's superfluous.
>
> You might be able to use conditional formatting to color the cell if there's
> some logic that determines why the cells need to colored.
>
> Biff
>
> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do you get the cell formatting (color) to transfer to a linked cell?
> >
> > Example:   I have added color (red) to a particular cell (A1) in Sheet1.
> > have linked cell (B2) in Sheet 2 to the red colored cell (A1) in Sheet1
> > (i.e.
> > =+Sheet1!A1).  The cell value (A1) on Sheet1 transfers to the cell (B2) in
> > Sheet2, however the color (red) does not transfer to cell (B2) in Sheet2.
> > want the cell value and the color (red) to transfer from cell (A1) Sheet1
> > the cell (B2) in Sheet2.  Is there a way to get the cell formatting/color
> > transfer along with the cell values from one linked cell to another?
> > Thanks
> > for any help.  Scott

0
scott7693 (519)

Conditional Formatting Problem #4
Below is an example spreadsheet that I’m dealing with. I have a column with “Standards” (more on that later), but I have my results in three possible ‘formats’ “Standard” Result 1 Result 2 Result 3 0.01 0.123 0.123J <0.123 1.0 0.123 0.123J <0.123 First, I want to create a conditional format that will BOLD only the cells that have just numbers in them (i.e. 0.123), and leave the other two types alone. Second, I will be comparing the cells with only numbers in them (i.e. Result 1) to the Standard and highlighting only those values that are greater to or equal to the Standard. In...

Can i use conditional formating on a cell when it contains a formula? #2
=mid(text(a1;"0000000000.00");1;1 -- si ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=262 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26784 Hi the reason for this is that thie formula returns a string and not a numeric value. Change the formula to: =--mid(text(a1;"0000000000.00");1;1) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany sit wrote: > =mid(text(a1;"0000000000.00");1;1) OR ... Change your Conditional formula to: =&quo...

Anchored cell won't release
I have recently encountered a situation with several users (probably coincidental) in which a cell seems to be anchored and won't release. They can close Excel and reopen it and the same cell will be anchored. You can select any other cell in the worksheet and the entire range from the anchored cell and the selected cell will be highlighted. Any ideas on what is causing this and how can I resolve it? Thanks, Mike Hi Press F8 to cancel Extended mode. -- Regards Roger Govier "MikeS" <MikeS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D1440C0-7CE0-46D0-87F...

Sort by formatting
I have a massive spreadsheet I have used a finddups macro on and have changed the formatting of cells with duplicate data. I would like to be able to sort or filter the data by conditional formatting so all the suspect duplicates can easily be copied to another spreadsheet. Hunt and peck is not practical with over 50,000 rows. Is there any way to sort/filter this data? I am currently using Excel XP and Windows XP. TIA George Hi sorting by formats is not supported by Excel. I'd use a helper column to 'tag' the respective rows and use this helper column for sorting/filtering....

Linked Template compatibility error

duplicate cells
I have a spreadsheet of Names and addresses. the list is very large (about 8000) there are quite a few duplicate entries that I would like to eliminate. is there a formula or a uncomplicated method that will do this for me? bear in mind that I am a novice with excel spreadsheets.d appreciate any help. Thanks Richard, have a look at Chip's site for a way to do it. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteDuplicateRows You may also what to have a look here on getting started with macros http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm if you need more help post back with...

Excel using =RC[-1] format and I don't want it
On this machine only, Excel will use the format =RC[-1] when I am entering a formula on the command line by hand and click on a cell to reference it in the formula. I don't know how this got on but I would like it to go off. On my other machines, it does the old familiar A1:B2 style of cell reference. I can't even search for how to fix it since I can't determine what this is called so I can turn it off. The only reference I have seen is a button that is only effective for macro creating and I am not creating a macro, just a formula, interactively, in the cell. How ...

Printing Problems (cells printing on top of one another)
When printing cells are merged together like the they have been shifted up half a row height. This problem is restriced to one user on one system (Windows 2000 Pro and Office 2000). The problem is same on a single sheet workbook or a multi sheet workbook. The printer setting keep reverting back to 11 sheet tall by 1 sheet wide. This produces an unclear image through print preview. You can manually reset the default to 1 sheet wide by 1 sheet long which corrects the print preview but not the printed output. I avoid merged cells like the plague - full of problems. I guess that you ...

Linked Tables 03-23-07
HiI have a database with 31 linked tables. Normally, when I go to linkto a new Back End, I go to the Linked Table Manager, click Alwaysprompt for new location, click Select All, and click OK. It lets mebrowse to my backend file, and it links them all in one go.Now, it is asking me to browse for each individual table. 31 timesover!!Why is this?It is very tiresome, & totally unworkable for the user.Stapes...

Chart formatting #3
Is there a way to shade certain areas of a line graph? I have a simple line graph extending horizontally from point 1 to 10 on the x-axis. I would like to shade the entire background area of the graph from points 2-4 and points 6-8. Is there a way to make the graph apear that the background is grayed out between these points. Thanks Chris Chris - This has been sitting here a long time... Make a combo chart. Start by locking the Y axis scale parameters (uncheck the auto boxes). Add a series to your chart which has zero values where you want no shading and <Y axis max> where ...

Different kind of cell reference.
I have a need to calculate a formula that I don't know how to reference. The following is the pattern that I could hard code. Basically, I have a value for each year, and need to interpolate monthly values. Is there a more generic way of entering these cells? =D1 + (D15-D1)*1 =D1 + (D15-D1)*2 =D1 + (D15-D1)*3 =D1 + (D15-D1)*4 =D1 + (D15-D1)*5 =D1 + (D15-D1)*6 =D1 + (D15-D1)*7 =D1 + (D15-D1)*8 =D1 + (D15-D1)*9 =D1 + (D15-D1)*10 =D1 + (D15-D1)*11 =D1 + (D15-D1)*12 =D30 + (D30-D15)*1 =D30 + (D30-D15)*2 =D30 + (D30-D15)*3 =D30 + (D30-D15)*4 =D30 + (D30-D15)*...

Deleting rows when cell has "#DIV/0!" error
Hi, I'm currently using this code to delete rows with balnk cells. However, i have changes the formatting of my sheet and the cells are no longer blank they have the "#DIV/0!" error. How can I delete the entire row when the cell in column D has that value? Sub DeleteRowsIfDIsBlank() With payrollsht Dim rg As Range, rgBlank As Range Set rg = Cells.Range("D:D") On Error Resume Next Set rgBlank = rg.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks) On Error GoTo 0 If rgBlank Is Nothing Then Else rgBlank...

negative number format

Formatting Cells Question
Hi I am having troubles with formatting cells in EXCEL 2003. I have a column of many hundreds of rows lthat contain data like this: 01Jan12 on fist glance this looks like a date but it really is not. EXCEL on the other automatically assumes it is a date and formats as such. 2001-Jan-12 I have tried formatting as text, General and even experimented with custom formats to no avail. In the same column I have 03Mar1543 Which is dispolayed exactly as is. How can I get EXCEL to simply display data like 01Jan12 exactly as is? You must format the cell as Text BEFORE typing any information...

linking emails to contacts automatically
We get a lot of incoming emails that we want linked to customers, without having to manually link/promote them. I want to write an application that will automatically link incoming emails to a contact, based on the FROM address in the email. Just curious, has anybody done anything similar? I know that you're not allowed to touch the db data directly, but I thought there might be some CRM function out there in the SDK that this might apply to? ...

How to categorize transfers and reimbursements from work
Hi. I am having trouble categorizing transfers from one account to another, or reimbursements from work. For example, when I transfer money from one account, it comes across as a blank category and it isn't an expense or income, because I have already categorizes the underlyng expenses or income. Same idea with a reimbursement from work. I get a check from work that is an expense account payment, and I have already spend the money, so it doesn't fit. Now my income and expenses reports show this massive category of "unassigned." How are other folks doing it? Some ...

How to transfer the Ex.server 5.5 to a New Machine
Hi, I have an Ex server 5.5 on NT4 PDC & needs to Re install NT server & Ex. Server on new machine as a PDC & transwer the mailboxers Can I do this? Pl. help Aanur On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:09:05 +0600, "Aanur" <kglkatu@jb.slt.lk> wrote: >Hi, > >I have an Ex server 5.5 on NT4 PDC & needs to Re install NT server & Ex. >Server on new machine as a PDC & transwer the mailboxers Can I do this? > >Pl. help > >Aanur > Google "Ed Crowley Server Move Method" ...

Hyperlink opens to IE home page rather than actual link
Affecting Outlook 2003, Windows XP SP3: Several users are attempting to follow a link embedded in Outlook. After clicking the link, they are prompted to "Locate link browser". They can browse to the IE executable without problems. If they try to follow the link again, IE will open to their home page, but not to the link itself. Further, if they hover over the link it states "blocked::yadayadayada" Any ideas? lisansaunders wrote: > Affecting Outlook 2003, Windows XP SP3: Several users are attempting to > follow a link embedded in Outlook. After c...

Outlook vcs format
I am looking for a solution to make vcs file a meeting request insted of an appointment. Right now the vcs file is as follows: BEGIN:VCALENDAR BEGIN:VEVENT STATUS:TENTATIVE DTSTART:20101230T033000Z DTEND:20101230T043000Z CATEGORIES:MEETING SUBJECT:Your Proposal Review DESCRIPTION:Testing CLASS:PRIVATE END:VEVENT END:VCALENDAR The problem is: it opens as appointment, while my requirement is to open it as meeting request where I can pass the attendee's email id's. I am using outlook 2003, but outlook 2007 has similar issue. Any help will be appriciated. ...

Rotating horizontal cells
Hello, I am trying to use the PivotTable using Excel 2000, but I understand this feature only works with "lists". Now, I have many cells that have data running horizontally (each data is in it's own cell) and in order to work the PivotTable I would like to know how to rotate these horizontal cells to put them in a column type of format rather than a row format. for example, Year 1980 1981 1982 1983 ... (row-current format) Rotate it to become: Year 1980 1981 1982 1983 .. .. .. Please let me know how to rotate the cells. Thank you Never mind, I figured that I have to...

How to transfer a project from publisher to word?
I made a bussiness card and would like to transfer it to word to print it out, because word has the template to print them out correctly. The template that I need is avery #5371. If you have any way that I can transfer or print it out using publisher I would greatly apperiate it. Copy and paste. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "Nichole Peterson" <Nichole Peterson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0523E1C-5E60-4F82-B555-7EBE115180D0@microsoft.com... >I made a bussiness card an...

Partial transfer of Quote to Order
Hi all, is it possible to partially transfer a Quote to an Order in GP? For example you have a quote with 10 lines and you transfer that quote to two Orders of 5 lines each? Regards Can't do a partial transfer but you could copy the quote, delete the unwanted items from each quote and then transfer them separately to orders. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com get your GPtip42today at www.gp2themax.blogspot.com ...

Type in code and get description in next cell
I am setting up a spreadsheet where I type a code in and it adds a product description in one cell and a rate in another. I have got the rates working fine and adding up to a total. I have this a master sheet with the code and the amounts but I just cannot get the formula for popping up the product description. I would be really grateful for any help, advice or a nudge in the right direction. Thanks very much Briggsy Hi use VLOOKUP for this. e.g. =IF(A1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,'lookup_table'!A1:B100,2,0)) >-----Original Message----- >I am setting up a spreadsh...

Special format for negative figures
How do I get parenthesis i.e. () for negative % ex: (-5%) as we get for numbers though managed to get it red coloured thru Conditional Formatting Pls help -- Dr. Sachin Wagh MBBS, DHA, DPH Format>Cells>Number>Custom In the Type box, enter 0%;(-0%) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Dr. Sachin Wagh" <DrSachinWagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E05E521-6A2E-4554-A18B-BDD4BF5DA5BA@microsoft.com... > How do I get parenthesis i.e. () for negative % > ex: (-5%) > as we get for numbers > > though managed to get it red coloured thru Condi...

HowCanIselectAtextBoxIf theExcelFileIs saved in (group) format?
File is saved in Excel 2007 format. When I move the cursor over the text box the cursor turns into a circle with one slash running thru it. ...