Too many cell formats #2

I have a set of spreadsheets that I am unable to change the format of any
cells.  When I try to change the background color, font or font size, an
error message pops up saying there are too many cell formats.  I really want
to avoid having to re-create all of these spreadsheets.  Please help.  Thank
you.

Excel has a built in limit to the number of cell formats. You
have reached that limit. As the message indicates, you cannot use
any additional cell formats.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"wsdanalyst" <wsdanalyst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>I have a set of spreadsheets that I am unable to change the
>format of any
> cells.  When I try to change the background color, font or font
> size, an
> error message pops up saying there are too many cell formats.
> I really want
> to avoid having to re-create all of these spreadsheets.  Please
> help.  Thank
> you.

0
chip1 (1821)
9/24/2004 6:08:41 PM
Hi
for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB
article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"wsdanalyst" <wsdanalyst@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:D1C545EB-80DB-43C1-8796-230062D61CD2@microsoft.com...
> I have a set of spreadsheets that I am unable to change the format of
any
> cells.  When I try to change the background color, font or font size,
an
> error message pops up saying there are too many cell formats.  I
really want
> to avoid having to re-create all of these spreadsheets.  Please help.
Thank
> you.

0
frank.kabel (11126)
9/24/2004 6:09:32 PM
Has anyone used the "Microsoft Excel Excess Formatting Cleaner Add-in" ??

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=ECFD076C-B873-48CC-B842-DA999C848C82&displaylang=en

If you use it, please let us know how it worked.  :>)

HTH
Dana DeLouis

> Hi
> for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB
> article
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "wsdanalyst" <wsdanalyst@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:D1C545EB-80DB-43C1-8796-230062D61CD2@microsoft.com...
>> I have a set of spreadsheets that I am unable to change the format of
> any
>> cells.  When I try to change the background color, font or font size,
> an
>> error message pops up saying there are too many cell formats.  I
> really want
>> to avoid having to re-create all of these spreadsheets.  Please help.
> Thank
>> you.

0
delouis (422)
9/24/2004 7:11:43 PM
Some people have said that OpenOffice can open these files with no problem.
(then fix/reduce the number of formats, save & close, and try opening in excel)

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

I tried Microsoft's "Cleaner" but it didn't help.  I have the same problem,
my spreadsheet has
grown over time and I'm bumping up against the 4000 cell format limit.  Have
you found
any ways around it?

Jim Allen

"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

> Has anyone used the "Microsoft Excel Excess Formatting Cleaner Add-in" ??
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=ECFD076C-B873-48CC-B842-DA999C848C82&displaylang=en
>
> If you use it, please let us know how it worked.  :>)
>
> HTH
> Dana DeLouis
>

> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB
> > article
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Frank Kabel
> > Frankfurt, Germany
> >
> > "wsdanalyst" <wsdanalyst@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
> > Newsbeitrag news:D1C545EB-80DB-43C1-8796-230062D61CD2@microsoft.com...
> >> I have a set of spreadsheets that I am unable to change the format of
> > any
> >> cells.  When I try to change the background color, font or font size,
> > an
> >> error message pops up saying there are too many cell formats.  I
> > really want
> >> to avoid having to re-create all of these spreadsheets.  Please help.
> > Thank
> >> you.

0
jimhallen (1)
3/14/2005 12:18:49 AM
Assuming the MS Cleaner works (I haven't tried it), this seems to be a
hardcoded limit, in which case there's no way around it. You'll have to remove
some formats.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:18:49 -0800, jimhallen
<jimhallen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Dana,
>
>I tried Microsoft's "Cleaner" but it didn't help.  I have the same problem,
>my spreadsheet has
>grown over time and I'm bumping up against the 4000 cell format limit.  Have
>you found
>any ways around it?
>
>Jim Allen
>

>"Dana DeLouis" wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used the "Microsoft Excel Excess Formatting Cleaner Add-in" ??

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=ECFD076C-B873-48CC-B842-DA999C848C82&displaylang=en

>> If you use it, please let us know how it worked.  :>)
>>
>> HTH
>> Dana DeLouis
>>

>> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> > for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB
>> > article
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> > Frank Kabel
>> > Frankfurt, Germany
>> >
>> > "wsdanalyst" <wsdanalyst@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
>> > Newsbeitrag news:D1C545EB-80DB-43C1-8796-230062D61CD2@microsoft.com...
>> > any
>> > an
>> > really want
>> > Thank

0
anonymous (74722)
3/14/2005 1:16:13 AM
Maybe you'd like to check out these 2 previous posts by Leo Heuser, where he
provides 2 VBA subs to deal with it.

Sub DeleteUnusedStyles()
http://tinyurl.com/mmrd

Sub DeleteUnusedCustomNumberFormat�s()
[version 1.01]
http://tinyurl.com/37vz7

--
Rgds
Max
"jimhallen" <jimhallen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dana,
>
> I tried Microsoft's "Cleaner" but it didn't help.  I have the same
problem,
> my spreadsheet has
> grown over time and I'm bumping up against the 4000 cell format limit.
Have
> you found
> any ways around it?
>
> Jim Allen