To much space in my cell?

I have a half inch of space in my cell at the top and I go format cell and do
an auto row hight fit and nothing happens. How can I make my date fit into my
cell. When I try and manualy make the cell to fit the data the data at the
botten dissapears and the top still has the half inch of space.

Just a thought, but is the cell merged with the cell above it? If it is there
will definitely be a space. If that's the problem, you will have to go to
Format, Cells, Alignment, and uncheck the merge cells box.

"lostsoul62" wrote:

> I have a half inch of space in my cell at the top and I go format cell and do
> an auto row hight fit and nothing happens. How can I make my date fit into my
> cell. When I try and manualy make the cell to fit the data the data at the
> botten dissapears and the top still has the half inch of space.
How did said data get into the cell? Did you perhaps paste it in from a
web page? Sounds like there could be more unseen characters before your
"data". Can you place the cursor before the first visible character and
then backspace?

lostsoul62 wrote:

> I have a half inch of space in my cell at the top and I go format cell and do
> an auto row hight fit and nothing happens. How can I make my date fit into my
> cell. When I try and manualy make the cell to fit the data the data at the
> botten dissapears and the top still has the half inch of space.

0
Bob
4/13/2010 4:48:02 PM
On 4/13/2010 8:27 AM, lostsoul62 wrote:
> I have a half inch of space in my cell at the top and I go format cell and do
> an auto row hight fit and nothing happens. How can I make my date fit into my
> cell. When I try and manualy make the cell to fit the data the data at the
> botten dissapears and the top still has the half inch of space.

Right click the row number on the left of your worksheet. Select Row
Height and enter 15 (or whatever your standard row height is). If that
doesn't work, try the method below.

Assuming there's not too much data in the offending row, why not delete
the row, insert a blank row, and re-enter the data?

Bill
0
Billns

Free rotate cell content?
I need to know how to free rotate the content of a cell in Excel. I also need to know how to free rotate an imbed in Excel. Contents of cells can be rotated using Format/Cell/Alignment. It's not free-rotation, but is limited to plus or minus 90 degrees. You can get free rotation if you copy a cell as a picture (hold the shift key down as you select Edit/Copy Picture) and paste as a picture into the worksheet (Edit/Paste Picture). You can then use the Free Rotate tool on the Drawing Toolbar to rotate the picture as desired. In article <72952FA1-EF94-4192-AA34-AFA97FEB4FFD@mi...

Macro to insert copied cells
Hi, A colleague has a spreadsheet with a list of 400 salon names in Column A. She wants to add a list of sub headings, also in Column A, beneath each salon name. There are 16 items on the list and one blank cell before the next salon name. I have written a Macro to copy the initial cells from below the first salon name (A2:A18) and insert them below the second salon name. Range("A2:A18").Select Selection.Copy Range("A20").Select Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown ActiveWindow.SmallScroll Down:=-3 How do I now get this to insert it after each salon name? I ho...

rows to be copied to next sheet based on value of particulkar cell
hi, What I want to do in my workbook is data in rows copied to next sheet based data in Column F (date) of row. The copied data must be in copied to same row in next sheet. Column F contain date. If date is same month as current date. date should not be copied to next sheet but if date is not the same as current month then the whole row should be copied to next sheet. Every sheet correspond to one monthm so total of 12 sheets. tabylee -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/201001/1 ...

MVP's?? Why is Excel 97 VBA much faster than Excel 2002 VBA
Hi I don't know if anyone knows why, but it seems that Excel 97 runs for next loops at about 25 times faster than Excel 2002. In Dec 2002, I created a workbook using the code attributed originally to Bob McCormick to break worksheet passwords and later modified by Norman Harker to break workbook passwords that automatically looped through a workbook and unprotected the workbook and all sheets with the same or different passwords. I incorperated a rough timer into it so it showed at the end approximately how long it took to unprotect the wb and all sheets. Using Excel 97, it consistently...

Excel files via FTP are read-only if spaces in the name
If I open a spreadsheet from an FTP site, and the spreadsheet has a space in the name, then Excel will always open the file as read-only. If I rename the file to exclude the space in the name, then Excel will open it and allow me to save any changes to the file. Any ideas what's happening? How can I open a file named "My Spreadsheet.xls" directly from an FTP site? Is this a known bug or a feature? Here are a few of the details: I'm using Excel 2002 (10.6501.6714) SP3 and the FTP site is using authenticated login, not anonymous. It's an IIS FTP server on Windows 2000. Th...

Accessing non-topleft value in a group of merged cells in Excel
Hello all, I have a group of virtically merged cells. I can't find a way of accessing one of the inner values of this range of merged cells (non-topleft values) to use in a formula. As an example, A B C 1 1 1 1 2 <2> 1 2 3 <2> 1 0 4 3 1 3 Here, A2 and A3 are merged, and C=A*B (B is all 1 for simplicity). In this case, C3 will yield 0 because the value returned by A3 (a non-top merged cell) yields 0. I would like C3 to also be 2, by forcing A3 to take the value of the merged range it is a part of. I know I can unmerge the cells, and manually enter in the values...

Help With formulating a cell
Hey everyone. I have a really dumb question but I am just not good at this Excel thing. Haha. I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will allow me to have a column of sequential numbers next to a column of names which in turn is next to column of dollar amounts. The dollar amounts can be changed just by, uh... , changing them, but the number and name in the columns next to them must saty the same. Okay, so far? Okay-here's my problem: How do I create a cell that will allow me to enter one of the sequential numbers and have either the name and dollar amount next to that typed-in nu...

how do I Keep cells at the top and side
Hello, I am trying to use a simple spreadsheet for following my mileage. I am trying to keep 1 row, and 1 column on the display at all times. Example, the dates is in column B, and if I scroll across, you can always see the date, The information in Row 7 is what I would like to see at the top. I am synching this with a pocket pc so I will be able to see what cells I am entering all the time. Thanks Ralph "ralph" <rferg6@telus.net> wrote in message news:PtE2d.18474$yW6.6222@clgrps12... > Hello, > I am trying to use a simple spreadsheet for following my mileage. I a...

Can't find icon that shows space used up.
Good morning! I tried last week and then again today to find the icon that shows us, when pressing it, the space all our emails are taking up. (It helps to know when to go back to purge older stuff once the amount starts getting very big.) I had it in the toolbar at my last job but this O2K backup's toolbar is an earlier version that doesn't have that icon. Can someone pls tell me under which category to find it and what it might be called? I found this one originally by accident and after looking through the categories and the items available one by one, I couldn't...

How to skip to cells which contain values only
Not sure if this is possible in Excel. I am using Excel 2003 SP2 at work. In a column, I have a formula that is copied down the column so that if a condition is valid, it prints a "Y", otherwise nothing: eg '=IF(N5714>0.011,"Y","") As the condition is true only some of the time in the column, it would be nice to be able to skip down the column to the next occurrence of the "Y". I know this is possible with CNTRL <down arrow>, but as each cell has a formula in it which gives "" if the condition is false, using this key strok...

how to take a number from the same cell in multiple sheets then a.
in excell how do I take a number from the same cell in multiple sheets and then take an average? Hi dinnon See http://www.rondebruin.nl/linksum.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "dinnon" <dinnon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6672F59-4553-445C-8B57-627CE2F34164@microsoft.com... > in excell how do I take a number from the same cell in multiple sheets and > then take an average? =AVERAGE(Sheet1:Sheet10!A1) If your sheets have unique names rather than the standard Sheet1, Sheet2 etc. best to insert a dummy sheet at be...

shape linked to cell
Hey there, Not sure where is best for this question so i appreciate any on bumping it to a more suitable forum! I have created a worksheet that performs some simple trigonomotr functions. I would like to get the values from the formula to draw shape matching the values put in and taken from the formula. I would appreciate any help on this, be it example workbooks links t sites or tutorials. Many thanks in advance -- owarin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- owaring's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2535 View...

Tab key won't create tab spaces
I recently moved from Word 2003 to Word 2007. All my previous files using forms that were set up for users to tab through for ease of filling out information transfered over to word 2007 with this same functionality. However, now I am unable to create tab spaces using the tab key in these files. In Word 2003 I simply turned off this setting through tools->options. I do have a work around using <CTRL><TAB> to insert a tab space, however I would like know how to restore the normal functionality of the tab key for editing documents, and then use the protection fea...

Renaming cells tedious and error prone
From what I can tell from the help, there is no way to rename a cell and have all of the references updated. If I need to rename a cell, I have to delete the old name, add the new name, then manually reapply the new name wherever I need it. The logical method of simply typing a new name in the Name box only serves to give the cell a second name, and only the first one (alphabetically) will be shown. Am I missing something? Is there some way to change a cell name from AnnualPayment to AnnPmt and have all references updated automatically? -- Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000 Visit JK ...

Pulling a cell reference--clickable cells?
Hello: I have a problem to which I'm sure there is a solution, but I haven't been able to find it yet: I have a master list of different employees' ratings (and the number of evaluations they have received) toward the bottom of my worksheet. At the top of this worksheet, I have a table listing the employee's name, # of ratings, and averaged rating. Underneath that column, I have the workplace average, total number of workplace ratings for all employees and the averaged rating for all. Underneath that, I have a graph showing the range of ratings, then the ...

How do I change word spacing (two characters) to (one character)?
I have a word document which has word spacing (two characters), How do I change the word spacing to (one character) automatically preferably? Since the document is 70 plus pages doing it by using the "spell and grammar check" is going to take hours. I'm using word 2002. Look under Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar, Settings button, Spaces required between sentences: change to 1. This will now indicate any sentence spacings that are more than 1 as a grammar error. To change the existing double spacing you can easily use the Replace function to change double sp...

Sharepoint log files takes too much disk space
My sharepoint log files increase my disk space .so I 'm affraid to be no more disk space in my hard drive . the hard drive used space increased about 1.5 GB in 2 days !! how can I fix this?? Check if unnecessary logs are written on ULS. 1. open the current ULS log(in case of x86, generally ULS path is c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\12\logs\hostname-yyyymmdd-hhmm.log) 2. is most logs verbose or information? - If so, set the log level default or lower. - If not, please let me know most of logs. are they any error logs? You have to fix...

merge cells #4
I have a hugh spreadsheet and I want to merge 2 cells in one row. nothing in the next row, then again 2 cells in the next row and so on,,, is there any way?? Thanks very much Vanesa Vanessa The formula below will merge all odd rows =IF(MOD(ROW(A1),2)>0,A1&B1,"") and this even ones =IF(MOD(ROW(A1)+1,2)>0,A1&B1,"") -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Vanesa" <Vanesa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E00048AB-2D14-42E4-8763-19FBC63EA251@microsoft.com... &g...

cell is reinserting a formula in even after deleting it. Why
When typing into a cell on the left the cell on the right is placing in a formula, even after deleting this formula it re-appears. This is happening in a few places on the spreadsheet. It always appears underneath a row of forumlas, the following row is not effected by this. Hi Michele untick tools / options / edit / extend data range formats and formulas Cheers JulieD "Michele Dickinson" <Michele Dickinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A527C6D-38B4-492B-B9D1-1426B1A0A23C@microsoft.com... > When typing into a cell on the left the cell on the rig...

How can I paste into merged cells?
I have a spreadsheet that contains blocks of 9 rows, where the first 'cell' in each row is made up of a number of merged cells. I want to be able to copy and paste 9 single cell rows at a time from a table in a Word document, in to the first 'cell' in 9 rows in my spreadsheet, but Excel is unable to change part of a merged cell so won't allow me to paste. How can I get around this? Hi Chris That is one of the many problems with merged cells. Either Unmerge the cells and have a wider column A or unmerge the cells>Select the cells again that were merged>F...

How to put cell data in chart y-axis?
I am having serious trouble with my excel system! I have 1 column for time, another for temperature, I need time to be on the y-axis and Temp as a line on the graph. Damn auto-grapher creates a graph with both time and temp as lines in the graph. PLZ HELP!!!11 P.S Hurry and answer this i have only today to do this!! Hi, If you add a column header to your Time column you will help excel to guess your data layout. It expects the first column to be Category or X values. The second column to be Y Values. <blank> Time 3 00:00 5 01:00 6 02:00 9 03:00 By the way ...

Locked cell Change Message
I have a spread sheet that i use that has many formula's on it. I have the cells with formula's set to Locked, so that they are not accidently deleted or modified by a user. But i have found occasionally, somehow, a cell that is Locked and contains a formula, is deleted. There is times when macro's are run to Protect/Unprotect the sheet, but think a user may have unprotected the sheet manually somehow, and accidently deleted the formula. My question is, Is it possible to have a Prompt, or Message Box come up to Indicate that a Locked Cell that contained a Formul...

How not to preview information in formula bar when in a cell w/lots of info?
I've looked and looked in the archives of teh excel ngs via google. I can't seem to find this info so I know I'm not asking for the right info. Help file also unhelpful, probably for the same reason. When we have more than on "line" of text in a cell, and when the cell is the active one, the formula bar shows all this info in that sort of preview but that obstructs the information in the cells directly below the formula bar. I can't remember how to turn that feature off. Anyone know? Only way I can think is Tools->Options, View tab, uncheck Formula Bar and ...

Data from non-adjacent cells as input for Linest #2
Hi, I would like to use data as input for Linest that is in the following cells: known y: A1 to A3, A10 to A12 known x: B1 to B3, B10 to B12 I have the feeling that this is almost answered in the following posts, but I do not understand it: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/t... Regards, David ...

how do i reference cells to create a chart?
I am compating data over many months in a spreadsheet with a tab for each month. While the data changes from month to month, the format is consistent, mostly for calculation purposes. I would also like to be able to use this to create charts that can be transferred from one sheet to the next. Any help would be much appreciated. Nick - The easiest way is to make a chart on one sheet, then copy this sheet (with the embedded chart). Copy the data for another month, and use Paste Special - Values from the Edit menu to copy the data onto the corresponding cells of the copied sheet. The ...